Mavic 3 Pro, difference between RC / RC Pro ?
7725 34 2023-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ross14
Second Officer
Czechia

I'm about to buy the Mavic 3 Pro Fly More Combo + DJI RC Pro set. Is there any major difference between DJI RC controller and DJI RC Pro, the difference is +740€ for the RC Pro version, is it worth it?
2023-5-12
Use props
Milleker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 280495 ft
  • >>>
United States

There's a nice breakdown here: https://www.heliguy.com/blogs/posts/dji-drone-controllers-rc-pro-vs-dji-rc-vs-rc-n1-vs-smart-controller

The three reasons it was worth the extra money for us was the brighter screen (1000 nits vs. 700), the ability to load other apps on the device and screen record supposedly records at 1080p on the pro, 720p on the standard.
2023-5-12
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

According to DJI, the RC is inadequately powered to even run Fly with more than minimal options running(focus peaking, ovexposure warning)
The RC Pro is well worthe the extra money. Much more flexible with customization too.
2023-5-12
Use props
Ross14
Second Officer
Czechia

Milleker Posted at 5-12 12:11
There's a nice breakdown here: https://www.heliguy.com/blogs/posts/dji-drone-controllers-rc-pro-vs-dji-rc-vs-rc-n1-vs-smart-controller

The three reasons it was worth the extra money for us was the brighter screen (1000 nits vs. 700), the ability to load other apps on the device and screen record supposedly records at 1080p on the pro, 720p on the standard.

Nice comparison of both controllers, thanks for the link.
2023-5-12
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

one of these days, there may even be a meaningful difference in compatibility since dji is known for not always updating their entire line of remote controllers with future drones.
2023-5-12
Use props
Ross14
Second Officer
Czechia

Mobilehomer Posted at 5-12 12:21
According to DJI, the RC is inadequately powered to even run Fly with more than minimal options running(focus peaking, ovexposure warning)
The RC Pro is well worthe the extra money. Much more flexible with customization too.

I've come across opinions that it's a waste of money for a "polished" driver. So my choice of build with RC Pro is correct.
2023-5-12
Use props
Ross14
Second Officer
Czechia

The Saint Posted at 5-12 12:27
one of these days, there may even be a meaningful difference in compatibility since dji is known for not always updating their entire line of remote controllers with future drones.

This must also be taken into account
2023-5-12
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

Rc controller is for folks who just wants to fly. Aka an n1 with screen built in.

Rc pro. Brighter, can run other apps/games, faster processor. Pretty much it.

In conclusion the rc controller is perfectly suited for most folks. It's bright enough to see. You run other apps and games on your smart phone, not on a drone remote. Faster processor is nice but not needed. The rc gets the job done. Usually folks with lots of cash will go for a $1200 remote. Middle class will rather spend that on a mini 3 pro with rc remote for $909. Me, I rather get an mini 3 pro and still save $300 lol.
2023-5-12
Use props
Ross14
Second Officer
Czechia

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 5-12 12:41
Rc controller is for folks who just wants to fly. Aka an n1 with screen built in.

Rc pro. Brighter, can run other apps/games, faster processor. Pretty much it.

Thank you for your opinion.That's why I asked the question here, so I could evaluate all the pros and cons.
2023-5-12
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Read post #5 in this thread. The reply straight from DJI - https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... d=288155#pid3018662
2023-5-12
Use props
Ross14
Second Officer
Czechia

Mobilehomer Posted at 5-12 12:52
Read post #5 in this thread. The reply straight from DJI - https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=288155#pid3018662

More important information, thank you!
2023-5-12
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. You refer to the information below regarding the difference between the DJI RC and DJI RC Pro for your DJI Mavic 3 Pro.

1. The DJI RC does not have a 5D Button. With a simplified design, its Flight Pause Button and Return to Home (RTH) Button are one and the same button.
2. The DJI RC does not have additional internal storage.
3. The DJI RC does not support the installation of third-party apps.
4. The DJI RC does not support outdoor mode.
5. Button: The DJI RC Pro has a 5D button, Back button/Fn, and C3 button, and the DJI RC does not have these buttons.
6. Performance: The DJI RC Pro processor has a robust performance and a large storage capacity and supports the installation of third-party apps. The DJI RC, however, does not.
7. Control: DJI RC Pro has a Hall spring joystick for greater accuracy and a smoother feeling. However, the DJI RC only has a potentiometer spring rocker.
8. DJI RC Pro supports the downloading, viewing, management and direct sharing of original videos. However, in DJI RC, the microSD card needs to be inserted to download all non-10 bit 4K and below videos and photos (the DJI RC firmware should be updated to v01.02.0000), and only 1080p videos can be played.
2023-5-12
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

And this is probably the best reason to get the RC Pro:

7. Control: DJI RC Pro has a Hall spring joystick for greater accuracy and a smoother feeling. However, the DJI RC only has a potentiometer spring rocker.

Hall sensor has no contact part making it last a lot longer than the carbon potentiometer track... So if you like a more long lasting precise control over your flying drone, the choice is simple....
2023-5-12
Use props
Ross14
Second Officer
Czechia

DJI Paladin Posted at 5-12 18:15
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. You refer to the information below regarding the difference between the DJI RC and DJI RC Pro for your DJI Mavic 3 Pro.

1. The DJI RC does not have a 5D Button. With a simplified design, its Flight Pause Button and Return to Home (RTH) Button are one and the same button.

Thank you.
2023-5-13
Use props
Ross14
Second Officer
Czechia

Burt37 Posted at 5-12 20:43
And this is probably the best reason to get the RC Pro:

7. Control: DJI RC Pro has a Hall spring joystick for greater accuracy and a smoother feeling. However, the DJI RC only has a potentiometer spring rocker.

In addition to the joystick, is the range of the Pro version of the controller better?
2023-5-13
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Ross14 Posted at 5-13 02:15
In addition to the joystick, is the range of the Pro version of the controller better?

Some people here reckon it is better because of the external antennas, but in all honesty, so far, I didn't have any issue flying the Mini 3 Pro with the RC either, so I can't really vouch for that yet...

I normally fly VLOS, but yes, in theory the RC Pro should give you a better range.. I really don't think you can compare the two radio as they are and feel completely different...

2023-5-13
Use props
Ross14
Second Officer
Czechia

Burt37 Posted at 5-13 02:19
Some people here reckon it is better because of the external antennas, but in all honesty, so far, I didn't have any issue flying the Mini 3 Pro with the RC either, so I can't really vouch for that yet...

I will be able to compare five controllers, I have a DJI RC, RC Motion 1+2, FPV Remote Controller 2 and there will be an RC Pro.
So that my hands don't get tangled from all this when switching drones
2023-5-13
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Ross14 Posted at 5-13 02:34
I will be able to compare five controllers, I have a DJI RC, RC Motion 1+2, FPV Remote Controller 2 and there will be an RC Pro.
So that my hands don't get tangled from all this when switching drones

Because of the silly DJI request to Bound the device every time you switch drone, I found myself using the RC for the Mini 3 and the RC Pro for the Mavic...

If I had to compare them I would say the RC it is like a FIAT Panda and the RC Pro it is like a Jaguar series 3... They will both get you there, but in a completely different way...
2023-5-13
Use props
Ross14
Second Officer
Czechia

Burt37 Posted at 5-13 02:43
Because of the silly DJI request to Bound the device every time you switch drone, I found myself using the RC for the Mini 3 and the RC Pro for the Mavic...

If I had to compare them I would say the RC it is like a FIAT Panda and the RC Pro it is like a Jaguar series 3... They will both get you there, but in a completely different way...

In a way, it's an advantage to drive a Panda and then immediately switch to the luxury of a Jaguar
2023-5-13
Use props
Ross14
Second Officer
Czechia

I am personally a fan of the star
2023-5-13
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Ross14 Posted at 5-13 02:49
In a way, it's an advantage to drive a Panda and then immediately switch to the luxury of a Jaguar

The RC is very light compare to the RC Pro, but it does feel very cheap in your hand, while the RC Pro feels like a brick. The joysticks are also so much more responsive (difference between RC analog and RC Pro digital). Then of course the screen is like night and day... I think if DJI did managed to price them correctly (as in they are a bit too expensive for what you are getting compare to say a Futaba 18 channel 2.4Ghz like the 18SZ that sells for $1500), they could have sold truck loads of them...
2023-5-13
Use props
Ross14
Second Officer
Czechia

Burt37 Posted at 5-13 03:02
The RC is very light compare to the RC Pro, but it does feel very cheap in your hand, while the RC Pro feels like a brick. The joysticks are also so much more responsive (difference between RC analog and RC Pro digital). Then of course the screen is like night and day... I think if DJI did managed to price them correctly (as in they are a bit too expensive for what you are getting compare to say a Futaba 18 channel 2.4Ghz like the 18SZ that sells for $1500), they could have sold truck loads of them...

Yes, it's true, sometimes companies go against themselves with their decisions. They have the wrong financial advisor.
2023-5-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

In addition to what was listed in Post 2 I also like and use HDMI out which is not available on the RC (non pro) controller.
2023-5-13
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Ross14 Posted at 5-13 02:51
I am personally a fan of the star

Which one is the star? Do you mean the Merc?
2023-5-13
Use props
Ross14
Second Officer
Czechia

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-13 03:23
In addition to what was listed in Post 2 I also like and use HDMI out which is not available on the RC (non pro) controller.

I forgot about the HDMI output, it will surely come in handy
2023-5-13
Use props
Ross14
Second Officer
Czechia

Burt37 Posted at 5-13 03:29
Which one is the star? Do you mean the Merc?

I mean Mercedes Benz (hence the "star")
2023-5-13
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Ross14 Posted at 5-13 03:34
I mean Mercedes Benz (hence the "star")

Yes.. Merc is short for Mercedes Benz in this land. We tend to shorten anything, really...

Then yes, think of the RC Pro as a nice black Merc 600...

2023-5-13
Use props
Ross14
Second Officer
Czechia

Burt37 Posted at 5-13 03:44
Yes.. Merc is short for Mercedes Benz in this land. We tend to shorten anything, really...

Then yes, think of the RC Pro as a nice black Merc 600...

I see,
nice imagination !
2023-5-13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

You are most welcome, Ross. Have a nice day ahead.
2023-5-13
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Ross14 Posted at 5-13 03:32
I forgot about the HDMI output, it will surely come in handy

It has come in handy quite often.  I have both the RC and the RC Pro and I always pick up the Pro to fly the Mini 3 Pro and the Air 2S.  
2023-5-14
Use props
Ross14
Second Officer
Czechia

RC PRO has other possibilities of use, I am already thinking about how to use those possibilities.
The HDMI output will serve for my 10-inch tablet or NTB and the possibility of secondary monitoring through these peripherals. Great

Will the USB-C/HDMi adapter work for connecting to a tablet (it works?)?

Will the DP/HDMi reduction work for connecting to a laptop(it works?)?

Does it also work wirelessly (mirroring)?

Sorry for so many questions.

2023-5-14
Use props
skyscope
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 4202785 ft
  • >>>
Germany

DowntownRDB Posted at 5-14 02:42
It has come in handy quite often.  I have both the RC and the RC Pro and I always pick up the Pro to fly the Mini 3 Pro and the Air 2S.

HDMI for use with an external Field Monitor is relatively indispensable if you want to expose properly, especially with the Mavic 3 Pro and it's Log-Profiles. Because Zebra as the only tool for this is pretty unusable because it shows an overexposure warning much too early.  

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=279024
2023-5-14
Use props
Ross14
Second Officer
Czechia

skyscope Posted at 5-14 03:21
HDMI for use with an external Field Monitor is relatively indispensable if you want to expose properly, especially with the Mavic 3 Pro and it's Log-Profiles. Because Zebra as the only tool for this is pretty unusable because it shows an overexposure warning much too early.  

Thanks for the link, I'll study!
2023-5-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

skyscope Posted at 5-14 03:21
HDMI for use with an external Field Monitor is relatively indispensable if you want to expose properly, especially with the Mavic 3 Pro and it's Log-Profiles. Because Zebra as the only tool for this is pretty unusable because it shows an overexposure warning much too early.  

2023-5-14
Use props
Ross14
Second Officer
Czechia

I'm an amateur and that's why so many beginner questions, they can be laughable for an experienced user.
However, I welcome any response!
2023-5-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules