Please let us install apps on the RC controller
8944 20 2023-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bongmaster
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7169 ft
Norway

I know there is limited space, but you can install onto SD. being locked up is hurting the true potential of this controller D: apps like Rainbow and Lichi would be great on there, not to mention other handy apps. the fact i cant connect my phone to it to use things liek Lichi and Rainbow is annoying too :x

Dont lock up our property from us D:

2023-5-13
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

hi bong, you might own the hardware because you paid for it...but that's about the extent of your ownership.  technically hacking into it isn't legal but if you want to squeeze more out of your remote, feel free to go in and have a go at it.  rc has been out for awhile, no one has figured out how to make it happen yet?  perhaps there's a horsepower issue.
2023-5-13
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

3rd party apps is only for the rc pro. Do you really think they will unlock it just cause you ask for it? Then the pro won't sell. The pro is $1200 and adding 3rd party apps is exclusive for it. Good luck trying to convince them to allow 3rd party apps on the rc controller.
2023-5-13
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

The RC is a toy. The RC Pro is is the REAL DEAL!
Read reply #18 in theis thread - https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D556%26typeid%3D556
2023-5-13
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Limited space, limited processing power, limited screen, limited cooling capacity, limited ports, limited transmission, limited quality....  There are several reasons why it doesn't cost as much as the Pro...

Not sure if you heard this before but, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig...
2023-5-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It can be unlocked, mine is but youre limited to what you can install, some apps just wont, I haven't tried Litchi yet either.

As for DJI unlocking it, don't hold your breath. Not because it has limited resources though, if the Fly app works then almost certainly Litchi and the like would run just fine too, but it is limited on space, so there is a restriction there, No, the reason will be so they can sell the RC Pro to you, thats overkill just for use with the one drone though, if you have multiple drones that can work with the RC Pro then its probably worth the purchase.

Whilst yes, it is our property that does not mean that we should expect DJI to unlock it, nope, deffo not, it was sold to you that way, there's plenty of info on t'interweb stating that we cannot install 3rd party apps from the get go.

I do not agree with one member stating that it is illegal to open it up to work with 3rd party apps though, although it will void your warranty! All one is doing is rooting the RC, that is NOT illegal, it is totally LEGAL to root your phone and its exactly the same thing with the RC, well, it is here in the UK, check for your own locale.
2023-5-13
Use props
Bongmaster
lvl.1
Norway

yea it is not illegal to root the RC. they just wont want you to do it. and rooting totally voids warranty. and there are many of us that void warranties as a hobby XD buying the pro is not an option not for a single drone. if the N1 was on sale anywhere i could easily get it i'd consider that as a second controller. but thats a no go atm too.
2023-5-13
Use props
Bongmaster
lvl.1
Norway

Bashy Posted at 5-13 14:33
It can be unlocked, mine is but youre limited to what you can install, some apps just wont, I haven't tried Litchi yet either.

As for DJI unlocking it, don't hold your breath. Not because it has limited resources though, if the Fly app works then almost certainly Litchi and the like would run just fine too, but it is limited on space, so there is a restriction there, No, the reason will be so they can sell the RC Pro to you, thats overkill just for use with the one drone though, if you have multiple drones that can work with the RC Pro then its probably worth the purchase.

can i ask how u got yours unlocked? you can answer in PM if u wish
2023-5-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bongmaster Posted at 5-13 14:54
can i ask how u got yours unlocked? you can answer in PM if u wish

Please search Youtube or google, thats where you will find your answer
2023-5-13
Use props
Bongmaster
lvl.1
Norway

Bashy Posted at 5-13 17:05
Please search Youtube or google, thats where you will find your answer

i have, and found 1 answer that has very sketchy and monetary situations im not comfortable with. if its the same guy then i hope another option comes along XD
2023-5-13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The DJI RC only comes with the DJI Fly app and the DJI RC does not support installing any third-party applications. Thank you for your understanding.
2023-5-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The unlocked remote is ok for some apps like a notes app etc,  but theres no point trying to install Litchi as there is no SDK for the remote yet.  On the Smart Controller where they do allow apps to be installed they also support the hardware in the SDK.   You also would only be able to fly an Air2S with it as no other drones that support an SDK are pairable to the DJI RC.
2023-5-14
Use props
Bongmaster
lvl.1
Norway

due to some order kerfuffles and my original order being sent out before a refund (i got the mini 3 in the store for the price of the mini 2 due to their own stocktaking errors, a good deal there), it seems i have a mini 2 on the way as well.. not an expense i need, but at least i'll have a N1 controller as an option and a spare drone XD

the story is: i ordered online from the store (not Dji store, an electronics store in norway) due to them not having the mini2 in stock locally, and visited the local store a few days later to see if they had accessories. the guy there said they had 2 in stock according to their stock lists, so we went to cancel my order and went to get one, tuned out they didnt have said mini 2 in stock at all and their computer lied to them. so he let me have the mini 3 with RC remote that they did have in stock for the price i paid for the 2 (when cancelling my order he said i'd get a refund for that, so i paid out for the mini 3 there). turns out later that day i get the shipment notice for the mini 2 :v
2023-5-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Burt37 Posted at 5-13 13:00
Limited space, limited processing power, limited screen, limited cooling capacity, limited ports, limited transmission, limited quality....  There are several reasons why it doesn't cost as much as the Pro...

Not sure if you heard this before but, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig...

you can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig...

Haven't heard that saying in a while.
2023-5-14
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Bongmaster Posted at 5-13 17:08
i have, and found 1 answer that has very sketchy and monetary situations im not comfortable with. if its the same guy then i hope another option comes along XD

Not sure if this is what you are after...

https://forum.dji.com/thread-265378-1-1.html
2023-5-14
Use props
Bongmaster
lvl.1
Norway

Burt37 Posted at 5-14 11:57
Not sure if this is what you are after...

https://forum.dji.com/thread-265378-1-1.html

it was the one from the guy in china, charging people to do the thing he did and doing it via accessing your pc or something. highly sus
2023-5-14
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

Bongmaster Posted at 5-14 14:32
it was the one from the guy in china, charging people to do the thing he did and doing it via accessing your pc or something. highly sus

I believe that was only to have the radio using the higher output that apparently in some countries is not allowed...
2023-5-14
Use props
Bongmaster
lvl.1
Norway

Burt37 Posted at 5-14 20:03
I believe that was only to have the radio using the higher output that apparently in some countries is not allowed...

nah the one they are referring to in that thread u linked. the Chinese one where all they show is the android menu and apps running with no explanation of how. i did read thru the whole thread tho and they had some good points. but yea seems the only other way also costs spondoolics :/
2023-5-14
Use props
djiuser_SfjRBAzEoIUz
New

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 5-13 21:15
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The DJI RC only comes with the DJI Fly app and the DJI RC does not support installing any third-party applications. Thank you for your understanding.

Let me get this straight,  i paid more to get the dji RC controller but the rc N1 controller is better because it goes through your phone, which you can download  3rd party apps to?
2023-9-2
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_SfjRBAzEoIUz Posted at 9-2 09:40
Let me get this straight,  i paid more to get the dji RC controller but the rc N1 controller is better because it goes through your phone, which you can download  3rd party apps to?

Thank you for your attention toward DJI products. DJI RC was rolled out to reduce consumer costs on the basis of DJI RC-N1’s control with mobile phones. With DJI RC, users can fly their aircraft immediately after powering on, without connecting it to a mobile device and debugging. In addition, the product design is more simplified in terms of systems, ports, and buttons, but without compromising its control experience. Have a nice day ahead.
2023-9-3
Use props
DroneMoister
lvl.1
Flight distance : 67221 ft
Sweden

The Saint Posted at 2023-5-13 11:45
hi bong, you might own the hardware because you paid for it...but that's about the extent of your ownership.  technically hacking into it isn't legal but if you want to squeeze more out of your remote, feel free to go in and have a go at it.  rc has been out for awhile, no one has figured out how to make it happen yet?  perhaps there's a horsepower issue.
Oh.. really?

The mini3 pro isn't supported though. Also, the api is heavily dependant on the dji SDK. I doubt dji support the joysticks of the RC remote in their SDK.

That means the developers of litchi need to find another way of figuring out how to get input data from the joysticks. That's probably not impossible, but I haven't seen the code so I don't know. Maybe it's the same code as the one that runs the old rc controller, as they seem fairly similar.

Saying it's too slow is just wrong.
Screenshot_20240108_002253_Gallery.jpg
1-7 15:23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules