Avata crashes when recording button was pressed
983 12 2023-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
saripsis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 240531 ft
United States

After flying around for a while, I wanted to do some low runs.  After recording a small straight run, I pressed the record button to stop recording.  The Avata flipped out and crashed.  Got some knicks and dings and lost a prop.  Is this a known thing?  How can I check if I did something wrong?

2023-5-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the unpleasant experience. I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You may submit a ticket case at https://repair.dji.com/repair/index . Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-5-14
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 835725 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, better to post flightlog for help.

Look at this post to find your flightlog.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D780%26typeid%3D780

When you have your flightlog use this link .

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Then post the uploaded link here on the Forum
2023-5-15
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44957 ft
  • >>>
United States

You  probably had a propeller failure (disintegrated) at same time you pressed the record button, your flight log should say something about the prop
2023-5-15
Use props
Koolada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 877999 ft
Germany

A failing Avata... oh thats something new (not)... Welcome to the Avata game...

If the Propellar is lost I think it was just another failed DJI Prop its well known that the original ones just destroy themselfes sometimes, there seems to be 3rd party ones that are better. Did it also do a Flyaway after crash? better consider this when you choose a flight spot.

2023-5-15
Use props
saripsis
lvl.2
United States

I had no idea about the flight log.  That's really interesting.
Flight Log

Looking at some youtube videos and whatnot, It seems the Avata is kinda a tank in the FPV world.
I may have released the trigger the same time I stopped recording.  Could the change in speed that low to the ground cause the drone to flip or prop to fly apart?  Updraft or whatever?

Anyway.  Thank you for all the responses.
2023-5-15
Use props
Koolada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 877999 ft
Germany

Nope the Stop shouldnt cause this, If you Release the Trigger it will Just Stop in places and Hover. Also a Speed Change shouldnt Effect that in any way.

The only Thing I could Imagine causing something Like this is If a branch comes between the Rotors. Did you tighten the Props? Pretty Sure overtighten could cause stuff Like this.

Who considers it a Tank? Don't wanna Ruin your fun but I would Just select which Youtubers is so much positive about the avata.
If you compare it to the DJI FPV its a Tank but compared to traditional FPV drones or bnf Like the nazgul its a little fragile toyplane. Its robust but wouldnt consider it a Tank, besides the slow and clunky flight characteristics of course...
2023-5-16
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 835725 ft
United Kingdom

saripsis Posted at 5-15 23:41
Flight Log

Hi

From the end of your log 452.4s - Propulsion system error. Return to home promptly and check whether propellers are working normally. If the issue persists, contact DJI Support.; Motors starting. Press and hold the Lock button to take off.        ( Not a great warning in this case)                                                                                                                                       
MotorFailReason - Aircraft rolled over on ground. (Not strictly true AC did roll over but in flight 12.7 feet in the air)
See attached.
From your post a prop was missing on recovery.
Looks like prop broke.       
Follow DJI Paladins advice.

2023-5-16
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
Flight distance : 5966247 ft
  • >>>
United States

saripsis Posted at 5-15 23:41
Flight Log

Was it the left front prop that was missing? At 452.405 secs the Avata had begun to rotate in all three axes; rolling CCW, pitching down (forward) and rotating CCW about the Z axes. These are consistent with a left front loss of propulsion.

2023-05-16_7-23-27.jpg

The pitching up prior to 452.405 secs was caused by a reduction in throttle
2023-5-16
Use props
saripsis
lvl.2
United States

Strangely enough it was the right rear (I'm pretty sure).  It was the back color coded one.  I lost that one before on my first crash.  So maybe me over-tightening it when I replaced it caused the failure.

Yeah, and as for the tank comparison, I meant that it is heavier and more durable that other fpv drones. That comparison is actually what made me decide to try out fpv flying.  So I can see why veterans would see it as a negative, for me as a beginner, it's exactly what I wanted.  I got an extra set of props and installed it.  Did a recalibration  and hover test indoors.  Everything seems to be okay.  Thanks for everybody's help.
2023-5-16
Use props
SeehawerB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5414203 ft
  • >>>
Germany

For comparison:
A comparable GEPRC Cinebot 30 with a 1050 mAh battery weighs almost same down to a gramm. It has about the same size and flight time of around 10 minutes. I would consider the overall robustness comparable but with ups and downs in different parts of both (frame, ducts, batteries etc.).
So I see a tie here. While the Avata is easier to control for the beginner, a "real" cinewhoop has to be flown more active but then is safer and much more dynamic. And much cheaper in every aspect.

I did love the Avata very much back then. Until it showed unsafe behaviour which DJI does not acknowledge. Hope you will not encounter the same. Sold mine, the complete stack, Avata, Batteries, all gone. Shame, but saw no other way. No trust anymore. Not a bit.
2023-5-17
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
Flight distance : 5966247 ft
  • >>>
United States

saripsis Posted at 5-16 22:45
Strangely enough it was the right rear (I'm pretty sure).  It was the back color coded one.  I lost that one before on my first crash.  So maybe me over-tightening it when I replaced it caused the failure.

Yeah, and as for the tank comparison, I meant that it is heavier and more durable that other fpv drones. That comparison is actually what made me decide to try out fpv flying.  So I can see why veterans would see it as a negative, for me as a beginner, it's exactly what I wanted.  I got an extra set of props and installed it.  Did a recalibration  and hover test indoors.  Everything seems to be okay.  Thanks for everybody's help.

You're sure? The left front is also black color coded. If it were the right back the rotation about the Z axis would still be CW. But, it would be pitching up (backwards) and rolling CW.
2023-5-17
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Known issue that DJI props will just randomly break apart. I posted about it here.
2023-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules