Bees got chopped in Rotor blades, Mini 3 pro.
843 7 2023-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fathersshadow
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48963 ft
India

I was flying the drone a couple of feet away and could not make out what insects were bothering it.

The drones spinning rotors started making weird noises mid flight after some insecets flew towards it. The drone was a bit unbalanced momentarily.
So I immediately landed it. I Could see that there were some pale yellow splatter marks on the drone's body and the rotors had small amounts of dried residue on it.

Nothing looked immediately broken.
I flew the drone for the next several minutes and on one ocassion it started drifting forward on its own at a slow speed while I was simply panning the camera up.

On viewing the footage at home I realized that there were bees next to a sculpture I had flown by.

Currently, the rear Left rotor of the drone seems to be spinning at a different RPM?...when you look at the rear rotors THROUGH the front spinning rotors, there is no visual distortion usually. However, I can visibly see some visual distortion when viewing the the rear Left through the front Left rotor. They don't appear to be in harmony. Unlike the right side.

Is the motor a problem? should I change the blades? I tried making a vide about it and the difference is barely noticeable on video. But its there.

2023-5-16
Use props
Fathersshadow
lvl.1
India

Sorry, guess I posted in the wrong section of the forum.
2023-5-16
Use props
Fathersshadow
lvl.1
India

Bees got chopped in rotors

I was flying the drone a couple of feet away and could not make out what insects were bothering it.

The drones spinning rotors started making weird noises mid flight after some insecets flew towards it. The drone was a bit unbalanced momentarily.
So I immediately landed it. I Could see that there were some pale yellow splatter marks on the drone's body and the rotors had small amounts of dried residue on it.

Nothing looked immediately broken.
I flew the drone for the next several minutes and on one ocassion it started drifting forward on its own at a slow speed while I was simply panning the camera up.

On viewing the footage at home I realized that there were bees next to a sculpture I had flown by.

Currently, the rear Left rotor of the drone seems to be spinning at a different RPM?...when you look at the rear rotors THROUGH the front spinning rotors, there is no visual distortion usually. However, I can visibly see some visual distortion when viewing the the rear Left through the front Left rotor. They don't appear to be in harmony. Unlike the right side.

Is the motor a problem? should I change the blades? I tried making a vide about it and the difference is barely noticeable on video. But its there.

2023-5-16
Use props
jmb63
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7009439 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have been swarmed by bees many times. Besides the mess on the body and the props, there was no damage. Clean all the residue off with a damp cloth and give it a thorough inspection. I never had any of the "pieces" get into a motor but bst to give each a spin to make sure they're smooth. As far as the prop "turning at a different rpm" I would suspect that the app would pick that up if your inspection didn't. If you have ANY doubt or concern about the props, change them. Don't overthink it.
2023-5-16
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you have reason to think bees are around the drone I would suggest you get it out of the area, honey bees are having a bad enough time as it is without being diced by a drone.
It is most likely male honey bees that you are dicing, they seem attracted to drones and whilst they do nothing useful except for fertilising a queen they are 'expensive' for a hive to produce. Besides you might just collect a queen, they mate on the wing.
As for motor speeds, their motors rarely rotate at the same rpm, their speed is constantly mointored and subject to change, I often see 'beats' when look through pairs of propellers.

The motor speeds are recorded in the .DAT flight log that is on the screen device (smart controller or phone etc. If you sync your logs then switch syncing OFF and disable the Airdata App ( if you use it ) then, indoors, fly a hover. You need a well lit room with no draughts and a clear and distinct floor pattern, once you are confident the drone will hover without input from the joysticks let it hover for a minute or so then land.
Assuming you had insufficient GPS to establish a home point ( meaning you will not be publishing your address ) retrieve the .txt flight log and upload it to https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/ and either post the URL here or (assuming you have a windows computer) down load CsvView from https://datfile.net/CsvView/downloads.html and use CsvView to process the csv from Phantomhelp.

The DAT, if it exists, will be found in the subfolder where you found the .txt flight log. Either upload the DAT to a file hosting site, make the page public and post a link to it here or  copy the DAT to your computer and use CsvView to process the DAT yourself. Motor speeds is one of the displayed result sets.

Mini 3 pro motor rpm's should be multiplied by 10 I think.

2023-5-16
Use props
Fathersshadow
lvl.1
India

jmb63 Posted at 5-16 04:36
I have been swarmed by bees many times. Besides the mess on the body and the props, there was no damage. Clean all the residue off with a damp cloth and give it a thorough inspection. I never had any of the "pieces" get into a motor but bst to give each a spin to make sure they're smooth. As far as the prop "turning at a different rpm" I would suspect that the app would pick that up if your inspection didn't. If you have ANY doubt or concern about the props, change them. Don't overthink it.

Is it normal for the mini 3 pro to wobble randomly sometimes in flight, especially with no wind? I tried a tripod shot and didn't find any instability though.

The spinning blades make a much louder sound sometimes. I guess I'll change the blades.
2023-5-21
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fathersshadow Posted at 5-21 16:23
Is it normal for the mini 3 pro to wobble randomly sometimes in flight, especially with no wind? I tried a tripod shot and didn't find any instability though.

The spinning blades make a much louder sound sometimes. I guess I'll change the blades.

Youre worrying too much, unless there is any physical damage to the props then just clean and leave them on.

BTW, a hot tip for cleaning stubborn dried on insect crud and this applies to on anything, car, helmet, bike etc, use a damp cloth and drape it over the area, flattening it to the object, you need it all touching, larger the area, use a larger cloth, tea towel or towel or do it in stages, lightly crudded will only need a minute or 2, heavily crudded will need longer but don't let the towel dry out, i.e. don't do it in the sun else ya defeating the object lol

I learnt that idea when i had my Gixxer 1000, getting the insects off was a nightmare till a fellow biker advised what I've said above, the insects just wipe away after hydration I have used this method on my P4P mostly...
2023-5-21
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

On additional comment about cleaning bug stuff off of drones.  I have found the cleaning wipes for CPAP masks to be invaluable at this.  They don't have any harsh chemicals and are usually made from some cotton.  
2023-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules