2398 38 2023-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
digibud
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7820246 ft
  • >>>
United States

The other day I was filming with my Mavic 3 Pro and my new RC Pro.  I was in direct line of sight, 1092feet away and 174feet up.  I actually had 30 satellites. I started screen recording after seeing "No GPS. Fly with caution" on my screen a few times.  It was cloudy but according to my research and experience that should not make any difference. I did have trees nearby on both sides of me (not all that close) but I have flown from within my house without a problem and again, I showed 30 satellites connected.  I don't know if this was due a problem with the new RC Pro (purchased at Amazon) or the Mav 3 Pro (bought direct from DJI).  I have never seen that with my older RC or RC N1.  I could still return/exchange the RC Pro to Amazon.  I also had odd glitches where my screen would freeze. As far as I can tell the drone continued to record but my screen was frozen. I hit "return to home" and the screen reactivated and I stopped the return to home. I've only had the RC Pro for a few flights. Thoughts? Return it? Cause?  I think both the Mav3 Pro and RC Pro have GPS. Yes?

2023-5-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I think both the Mav3 Pro and RC Pro have GPS. Yes?
Yes, but the GPS receiver in the controller is completely separate from the drone's GPS receiver.
The number of sats that is displayed on the screen is the number of sats that the drone is receiving.
If that is dropping, it has nothing to do with your controller.

Maybe your issue was a one-off glitch.
I had something similar happen on one flight last year and couldn't find the explanation.
It never happened before or since.
If yours works properly now, that might be all it was.

2023-5-17
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please confirm what firmware and app version are you currently using on your controller? Kindly please try to update/refresh your DJI RC Pro using the DJI Assistant 2 software and check if the issue persists. Please let us know immediately if you still experience the issue so we can check. Thank you for your understanding.
2023-5-17
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 5-17 18:37
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please confirm what firmware and app version are you currently using on your controller? Kindly please try to update/refresh your DJI RC Pro using the DJI Assistant 2 software and check if the issue persists. Please let us know immediately if you still experience the issue so we can check. Thank you for your understanding.

I am totally up to date but will use DJI Assistant to for a refresh. I uploaded my txt logs to Airdata.com and noted that it showed no problem with GPS but it did show a compass Turn Rate well above normal at 6 points during the flight. The compass turn rtes were from 25 to 33 which is not normal according to airdata.  In any case I will update firmware and continue to investigate.
2023-5-17
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-17 17:29
I think both the Mav3 Pro and RC Pro have GPS. Yes?
Yes, but the GPS receiver in the controller is completely separate from the drone's GPS receiver.
The number of sats that is displayed on the screen is the number of sats that the drone is receiving.

Oddly I got the No GPS notification while I had 30 satellites showing...
2023-5-17
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Did the drone update its home point before takeoff? Did your sat count drop during the Flight? Might be wise to post the flight log to the link below and post that link back here

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
2023-5-17
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

digibud Posted at 5-17 19:15
Oddly I got the No GPS notification while I had 30 satellites showing...

Having 30 satellites in view does not mean that the quality of the calculated solution is sufficient.

If the receiver is surrounded by trees the dilution of accuracy increases.

It all depends on the level of precision that is programmed into the RC to trigger the error message.
2023-5-17
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 5-17 20:29
Having 30 satellites in view does not mean that the quality of the calculated solution is sufficient.

If the receiver is surrounded by trees the dilution of accuracy increases.

Airdata.com showed no issue with GPS if that means anything.
2023-5-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

digibud Posted at 5-17 21:39

Airdata only shows a tiny bit of what's in the data.
If you post a link to the Airdata report and there will be a lot more info hidden in it than what you've seen.
2023-5-17
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

digibud Posted at 5-17 21:39

No, the indications of Airdata are not relevant for this use.

Test in an open space, a place where from the position of the receiver there are no obstacles. Imagine a cone whose tip is your RC and whose slope forms an angle of 15° with the ground. It shouldn't have anything in it. If you still get the message under these conditions, it is not normal. Or the RC receiver is really very sensitive but I don't see the point.
2023-5-17
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

digibud Posted at 5-17 19:13
I am totally up to date but will use DJI Assistant to for a refresh. I uploaded my txt logs to Airdata.com and noted that it showed no problem with GPS but it did show a compass Turn Rate well above normal at 6 points during the flight. The compass turn rtes were from 25 to 33 which is not normal according to airdata.  In any case I will update firmware and continue to investigate.

Thank you for keeping us posted. After you refresh the firmware for both device (aircraft and RC), please have a test flight in an open area without any possible interference so we can check it furtther. Please let us know. Thank you.
2023-5-17
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-17 22:21
Airdata only shows a tiny bit of what's in the data.
If you post a link to the Airdata report and there will be a lot more info hidden in it than what you've seen.

I've done a very short test in a perfectly clear area with no problems however I have flown from within my house (!) and never seen this message so I find it very odd. While there were some trees to my left and right they were not tall and I've flown in many places with less view of the sky. In any case, this is a link to the airdata page with my gps sensor data that all looks good.  https://app.airdata.com/flight/7 ... 58867302/SENSORSGPS   and here is the page with compass data that looks not so great.  I've done a compass calibration since then.
https://app.airdata.com/flight/7 ... 7302/SENSORSCompass
2023-5-18
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 5-17 23:56
Thank you for keeping us posted. After you refresh the firmware for both device (aircraft and RC), please have a test flight in an open area without any possible interference so we can check it furtther. Please let us know. Thank you.

I did a short test in a clear area with no problem. Another reply "above" has a link to an Airdata.com page that shows compass problems but doesn't denote any GPS issues.  The odd thing is the GPS message on the screen while 30 satellites showed up and the screen locking up (freezing the image) on a few occasions on that flight.  I'll keep an eye on it...
2023-5-18
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

digibud Posted at 5-18 07:16
I did a short test in a clear area with no problem. Another reply "above" has a link to an Airdata.com page that shows compass problems but doesn't denote any GPS issues.  The odd thing is the GPS message on the screen while 30 satellites showed up and the screen locking up (freezing the image) on a few occasions on that flight.  I'll keep an eye on it...

Hi,

Had a look at your GPS compass log, see my chart of your data.

DJI must have changed their software, as normally with ZERO for GPS quality Drone will fly in ATTI mode.
Not in your log, Lat Lon GPS data is recorded as normal.
They only forgot to change the warnings, warning "NO GPS" is imo not correct. (True NO GPS = ATTI mode)

Better seen in third chart  ;  compass heading line yellow = no yaw input. see the fluctuations.

cheers
JJB    [ Charts by FRAP ; the 'best' software for flightlog analysis ]
analysis1.png
analysis2.png
CompassYawFluctuations.png
2023-5-18
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459954 ft
United States

If you go to GPSjam dot org, you can see that there were problems reported around Fairbanks on May 16th.  Fairbanks is in red because there’s a lot of ADS-B receivers to collect/share the data.  I’m not saying you were jammed, but…..it’s not normal to see red around a US city.
https://gpsjam.org/faq/

2023-5-18
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

DroneApe Posted at 5-18 09:43
If you go to GPSjam dot org, you can see that there were problems reported around Fairbanks on May 16th.  Fairbanks is in red because there’s a lot of ADS-B receivers to collect/share the data.  I’m not saying you were jammed, but…..it’s not normal to see red around a US city.

hi,

But does a GPS jammer also change compass heading data ??
GPS lat lon data recorded and shows normal values.

cheers
JJB
2023-5-18
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneApe Posted at 5-18 09:43
If you go to GPSjam dot org, you can see that there were problems reported around Fairbanks on May 16th.  Fairbanks is in red because there’s a lot of ADS-B receivers to collect/share the data.  I’m not saying you were jammed, but…..it’s not normal to see red around a US city.

fascinating. the Fairbanks area was indeed in red on the 16th, I was, however out on the Yukon River, far away from Fairbanks. I can't imagine any jamming out where I was and wonder what/who would be jamming other than the military which does have a large Army  base and AF base nearby.
2023-5-18
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I assume I need to pay for airdata to see that information, eh?  Could you expand upon what you are learning.  Is the notice on the screen that I got about No GPS not valid?   I am seeing others on the mavicpilots.com web site mentioning similar issues since the last firmware update.  Any further thoughts?  As I mentioned, a recent short test showed no problems and flights subsequent to that problematic flight on that day didn't show further issues. It may just be a singular oddity although with others chiming in with similar observations I am led to believe it may be an issue that is now being seen and since I have LatLong showing all the time it may be just a false reporting. Why my
2023-5-18
Use props
Pleomax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 835725 ft
United Kingdom

Hi digibud

Congratulations on your new purchase.

Just a question, were you using the battery that came with the Mavic 3 Pro or a battery from your Mavic 3?

The reason I ask is your battery charge count is 46 in the phantomhelp csv log file which seems a little large for this new AC.

Maybe csv log is incorrect.

Thanks and fly safe     
2023-5-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

digibud Posted at 5-18 11:14
I assume I need to pay for airdata to see that information, eh?  Could you expand upon what you are learning.  Is the notice on the screen that I got about No GPS not valid?   I am seeing others on the mavicpilots.com web site mentioning similar issues since the last firmware update.  Any further thoughts?  As I mentioned, a recent short test showed no problems and flights subsequent to that problematic flight on that day didn't show further issues. It may just be a singular oddity although with others chiming in with similar observations I am led to believe it may be an issue that is now being seen and since I have LatLong showing all the time it may be just a false reporting. Why my

Is the notice on the screen that I got about No GPS not valid?
It's not entirely valid.
You never lost GPS reception.
There were 16 times during the flight between 6:51 and 10:34, when the flight controller registered no confidence in the GPS location data.
These ranged from 1-15 seconds.
But each time, the data still shows that the flight controller was calculating speed and position data for every 1/10th of a second based on the GPS data, and the column labelled Is GPS used, shows True for all of these periods, just as it does for the rest of the flight.

Whatever caused the flight controller to register zero for GPS reliability in those periods is a mystery, but it looks like your drone had full normal GPS the whole time.
If you don't see this again, just write it off to a one-off glitch.
If it shows up in the future, ask DJI for an explanation.

2023-5-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

digibud Posted at 5-18 11:14

although with others chiming in with similar observations I am led to believe it may be an issue
You would need to see their flight data to know whether what they saw was actually similar to your case.
Without data, you cannot assume anything.
2023-5-18
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Pleomax Posted at 5-18 12:32
Hi digibud

Congratulations on your new purchase.

I'm sure it was a battery from my Mav3
2023-5-18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

digibud Posted at 5-18 07:16
I did a short test in a clear area with no problem. Another reply "above" has a link to an Airdata.com page that shows compass problems but doesn't denote any GPS issues.  The odd thing is the GPS message on the screen while 30 satellites showed up and the screen locking up (freezing the image) on a few occasions on that flight.  I'll keep an eye on it...

Thank you for your response. We will record this and have it feedback to our designated team for attention. If ever you encounter the same issue again, please let us know. Thank you.
2023-5-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

I explained your GPS issue 24 hours ago.
But no comment from you?
Did you even see it?
2023-5-19
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-19 13:52
I explained your GPS issue 24 hours ago.
But no comment from you?
Did you even see it?

Just now, Fri afternoon. I'm often just here and there... . Thanks much. I do understand the issue better and will have to play with mine to see it on my screen.
2023-5-19
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

digibud Posted at 5-19 14:35
Just now, Fri afternoon. I'm often just here and there... . Thanks much. I do understand the issue better and will have to play with mine to see it on my screen.

Hi digibud,

if your craft did not yaw like it showed in my post #15, your drone had a compass in error.
See the yellow line shows the fluctuating compass heading values with NO yaw input. (no yaw input = no heading changes ofcourse)

Loosing in flight the GPS accurancy or 'confidence' in GPS data then this value (range 0 - 5 will change from 5 to a lower number in sequence, not from 5 directly to 0 as it did in your log.
If compass value is in error than DJI software will kill the use of GPS ; from 5 to 0 at once.Normal before a 0 value means drone into ATTI, not in your flight ; so DJI must have changed this to the better.

As said GPS data correctly logged so  this was not a GPS problem.

cheers
JJB
2023-5-19
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
United States

JJB* Posted at 5-19 23:59
Hi digibud,

if your craft did not yaw like it showed in my post #15, your drone had a compass in error.

Hey,

I wanted to share a really weird coincidence with you.  The U.S. Air Force was “testing” their ECM (electronic countermeasures) pod  called Angry Kitten on a reaper drone on May 9 and May 16 in Alaska. It was part of multinational exercises in Alaska.  There are multiple reports on Twitter about GPS degradation on May 9th and May 16th in Alaska.  

https://www.53rdwing.af.mil/News ... ntegrated-combat-t/

https://www.pacaf.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/3381760/us-multinational-service-members-ships-aircraft-meet-in-alaska-for-northern-edg/

https://ig.space/commslink/overview-of-the-angry-kitten-pod-program

2023-5-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

DroneApe Posted at 5-20 06:28
Hey,

I wanted to share a really weird coincidence with you.  The U.S. Air Force was “testing” their ECM (electronic countermeasures) pod  called Angry Kitten on a reaper drone on May 9 and May 16 in Alaska. It was part of multinational exercises in Alaska.  There are multiple reports on Twitter about GPS degradation on May 9th and May 16th in Alaska.  

Hi,

Thanks.

I have seen few DJI flightlogs, flights disturbed by GPS jamming.
Result of jamming is that the GEO positions are not the actual postions where the drone is flying!
All the main goal of jamming ofcourse.

In those flightlog you will see that the position plotted in Google Maps ect...the flight line in broken into pieces....good part is actaully flown positions and suddenly next position on the map is few or more than few miles away from previous LatLon (all within 0.1 second)

Not in this flight, the GEO lat lon positions are not jammed, only the 0 - 5 value for GPS "health" dropped few times from 5 to 0 and back again. IMO not a result of GPS jamming.  Compass heading data error / fluctuations are for DJI software reason to set the 0-5 value to 0.

cheers
JJB
2023-5-20
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
United States

Not jammed.  
Degraded.
It’s possible that the OP’s drone was flying a little too close to the military exercises and had some interference that “degraded” his signal.
Again, not jammed.
Degraded. The manned aircraft in Fairbanks weren't jammed either.  They just had their signal degraded because they were too close to the exercises as reported by their ADS-B receivers.
Lots of stuff can be found about electronic warfare and the electromagnetic spectrum on google search.

2023-5-20
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

All quite fascinating and I greatly appreciate all the information.  I'm going with the explanation there was an angry kitten messing with my GPS.  Entirely make believe but I like the sound of it .
2023-5-20
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
United States

digibud Posted at 5-20 07:30
All quite fascinating and I greatly appreciate all the information.  I'm going with the explanation there was an angry kitten messing with my GPS.  Entirely make believe but I like the sound of it .

Ha!

So the way it works is….the Angry Kitten is typically the aggressor in these types of exercises.  The Angry Kitten would have been attacking the Airforce bases in Alaska and multinational ships at sea.
You probably know this, but you were flying your drone 91 miles from Clear Space Force base....which is the Ballistic missile early warning radar installation.
Anyway,  if you’re in the lower 48, they post online prior to  when they are going to conduct tests.  And they usually post for Alaska, but I don’t think they did this time.

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/site ... PS_Interference.pdf

2023-5-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

digibud Posted at 5-20 07:30

There was nothing wrong with your GPS ... it was a false alarm, (or 16 false alarms).
2023-5-20
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-20 08:17
There was nothing wrong with your GPS ... it was a false alarm, (or 16 false alarms).

Dude! It was an angry kitten that attacked! LOL  But in all seriousness I'm now assuming it was simply a software glitch.
2023-5-20
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
United States

digibud Posted at 5-20 09:09
Dude! It was an angry kitten that attacked! LOL  But in all seriousness I'm now assuming it was simply a software glitch.

LOL.  Yep software glitch.  Hehehe

"That's no moon."

https://twitter.com/lemonodor/status/1658274665960464384/photo/1
The good news is the military exercise "Northern Edge 23 in Alaska" is probably over as planes were spotted today returning to lower 48.

https://twitter.com/vcdgf555/status/1659790007496998912

Here is the NOTAM that said GPS may not be available from May 16 to May 20 for Alaska.

PAZA 05/006

https://metar-taf.com/notams/US-E236

2023-5-20
Use props
SFC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10322858 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just experienced this problem this evening. I am from South Florida. Will check tomorrow to see if the "No GPS" reappears. It happened during midflight.  
2023-5-20
Use props
blondsign
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14428648 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Had the same problem couple of times. No GPS after start.. Glitching into Atti Mode...
2023-5-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DroneApe Posted at 5-20 09:35
LOL.  Yep software glitch.  Hehehe

"That's no moon."

Here is the NOTAM that said GPS may not be available from May 16 to May 20 for Alaska
But his GPS was available and updating correctly each 1/10th of a second.
He never lost GPS.

2023-5-22
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 5-22 05:12
Here is the NOTAM that said GPS may not be available from May 16 to May 20 for Alaska
But his GPS was available and updating correctly each 1/10th of a second.
He never lost GPS.

yep...all very odd but I've recently heard from other people that have gotten this alert that seems to be incorrect.
2023-5-22
Use props
Drone Buddy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 280860 ft
United Kingdom

I have a Mini 3 Pro woth the latest updates on the RC and the drone. Yesterday I had exactly the same issue but mine started as soon as I turned on the drone outside with no obstacles around me. I think it's the issue was a one-off glitch.
2023-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules