Stopping the Air 2s motors
802 7 2023-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
The Mantis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 312959 ft
United Kingdom

I tried to land it on an anchored boat which was very difficult as the deck space was small, but I got it landed. The next day I tried another flight but it was impossible to land as it was a bit windy. I got cuts on my hands after I grabbed the drone and finally got it stopped using the RC. I think I should have stopped the motors first and caught the drone as it fell. Anyway it was a lesson learned   .
Does anybody else have experience of this?
I have a friend with an older drone who says he could stop the motors by flipping the drone over. I wondered if this would work for the Air 2s.
2023-5-18
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

It can be done, but it's unnecessary stress on the motors.
2023-5-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think I should have stopped the motors first and caught the drone as it fell.
Just incase you were serious about trying to stop the motors in mid air. With a controller set to joystick mode 2 then as a solution to your problem the above WILL NOT WORK. I have not worked out what the CSC does or its position in the other joystick modes.
Unfortunately, elsewhere, I have seen the CSC idea propsed as a serious solution to a boat landing, it's a recipe for disaster.
Why will it not work?

1) With the "emergency motor stop" option set to "Anytime" or the equivalent, the CSC must be held for around 1.7 seconds before the motors will stop. During those 1.7 seconds you are commanding full reverse, full sideways, full yaw and full descent, meaning the drone will move horizontally an appreciable distance before the motors stop and, by the end of the 1.7 seconds, be moving at the speed limits of the flight mode. It will then fall whatever height remains with a gradually decaying horizontal velocity.
Unless you own large boat I think your drone would be likely to end up in the water or rigging and certainly nowhere near your hand.
2) If the "emergency motor stop" option set to "emergency only" then the CSC is UNLIKELY to stop the motors at all and all the above horizontal motion will apply.
On a moving and rocking boat the catch and flip may be your only appoach to stopping the motors. The normal methods are design for a 'stationary' drone. If the drone senses movement those methods may not work and the "Anytime" CSC approach has too short a delay period to risk having "Anytime" set as the active option whilst in normal flight.

2023-5-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello, there. We are sorry to hear this. May we know your condition and how about your injury now? Please do take care of your wound and go to the hospital in time if necessary. We do not recommend hand catch the aircraft, please pay attention to your safety when using the drone. Please kindly know that and thanks for your understanding.
2023-5-18
Use props
The Mantis
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 5-18 06:52
Hello, there. We are sorry to hear this. May we know your condition and how about your injury now? Please do take care of your wound and go to the hospital in time if necessary. We do not recommend hand catch the aircraft, please pay attention to your safety when using the drone. Please kindly know that and thanks for your understanding.

Don’t worry, I had a few cuts on my hands which I treated with Elastoplast. It was on Monday morning and they’re all healing well. It was an experience which taught me a lesson but I got some good photos and movie footage which is appreciated by the others on the boat.
2023-5-19
Use props
The Mantis
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 5-18 04:05
I think I should have stopped the motors first and caught the drone as it fell.
Just incase you were serious about trying to stop the motors in mid air. With a controller set to joystick mode 2 then as a solution to your problem the above WILL NOT WORK. I have not worked out what the CSC does or its position in the other joystick modes.
Unfortunately, elsewhere, I have seen the CSC idea propsed as a serious solution to a boat landing, it's a recipe for disaster.

Thanks for all this. I’ve been on holiday this week on a small cruise ship, about the size of a fishing boat. The problem was that there’s hardly any deck space wider than about 4 feet so I was only able to land it with difficulty on a very still day. When there was a bit of a breeze next day it proved impossible. It’s unlikely that I’ll be flying it from a boat again anyway.
2023-5-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just to "Put the wind up your sails", Oh dear!!!!!

and thats not the hairiest I have seen.
2023-5-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

The Mantis Posted at 5-19 08:56
Don’t worry, I had a few cuts on my hands which I treated with Elastoplast. It was on Monday morning and they’re all healing well. It was an experience which taught me a lesson but I got some good photos and movie footage which is appreciated by the others on the boat.

Glad to know your wound is healing well. But we still recommend that you pay attention to your own safety when using the aircraft. Have a nice day.
2023-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules