range limited to about 3500'
750 10 2023-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bedevere
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1158 ft

United States

Having a lot of fun with my Mini 2 SE even though it’s only been about a week.  I’m still in the learning phase but there’s one thing I can’t figure out - my max range is about 3500’ and then my remote can longer control the drone so the RTH has to take over.  

I don’t need and didn’t expect 6 mile range but less than 1 mile doesn’t seem right.  Per the manual, even if the interference is “strong”, the transmission range should be 1.8 miles.  I live on a golf course which has utilities underground (no utility poles).  There are trees but that’s about it as far as obstructions.  

My impression from reading the OcuSync 2.0 hype was interference should be a non-issue since it’s supposed to quickly find a clear channel if there is interference.  For giggles, I tried manually setting it to a 5 GHz channel that has no activity.

Since I’ve read other posts from people who are not getting even close to the expected range, it would seem I’m not alone.  Link to my most recent flight log is below.  

Thanks in advance to anyone who might have some ideas.

flight log

2023-5-31
Use props
bedevere
lvl.1

United States

Not sure why flight log link didn't work so trying again

flight log

Cannot figure out why I can't add a link but here it is url:  https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/27HW6M1054N45BMRQ1AI

2023-5-31
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Trees eat signal, if you want to range test do it where you have clear line of sight.
Besides at a height of 160ft and a distance of 3254ft the signal path to the drone is 2.8 degrees above the horizontal and it looks as if there's a bucket load of trees and houses in the way.
2023-5-31
Use props
bedevere
lvl.1

United States

Thanks Sean-bumble-bee but unfortunately there aren't too many places around here where I could maintain line of sight for several miles.  Will be visiting relatives in a couple weeks and there's some pretty good, wide open country there so I'll give it another shot.  

Cheers and thanks again.  
2023-5-31
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the inconvenience. Can you please try to fly the unit to a different location and see if the issue persists? In addition, you may refer to the image below for the proper positioning of the antenna to gain the Optimal Transmission Zone. Please keep us posted. Have a nice day ahead.
2023-5-31
Use props
Blackbuckone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68967 ft
United Kingdom

I think the biggest problems for many of us with a Mini Drone is Wi-Fi messing with your signal around housing and buildings, and near somewhere like a college or school building you can forget it.

If I go 100 yards up the road from my place it's the highest spot around here, and over the fields I've had a handsome 4.1km range a couple of times on test flights with my Mini Pro-3,  (the battery wouldn't let you go much further anyway without RTH). But if I go in the opposite direction down past the village, as soon as I get over the houses a mile away I start getting a drop in the signal.

Cheers
2023-6-1
Use props
bedevere
lvl.1

United States

Guess I might have over estimated the impact of OcuSync 2.0.  I am very interested to learn more about how drone communications work.  I've worked for RF companies (public safety communications) for over 40 years and though I'm not an engineer, I know a fair bit.  I did a quick link budget analysis at both 2.4 & 5.0 GHz based on the +26 dBM TX power of the drone and controller.  I don't know what the RX sensitivity is so I assumed -110 dBm though that might be optimistic.  The math seems to work but I realize fade margin can be a gotcha.  

If I use the manual channel selection, I thought I might be able to use a spectrum analyzer to measure the signal strength coming from the drone at various distances - just a thought.  
2023-6-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just out of curiosity, what's the 'fascination' with flying to a distance of several miles?
I understand the desire to range test and have done it myself ... over the sea .....  but not over other peoples' houses. If something goes wrong my drone would have gone into, or been sent into, the sea, not threatened people or property.
Perhaps that is something to consider.

You have Lake Erie not too far from your last flight.
Even against a 'good' background I doubt that you can actually see the drone beyond a distance 2,000ft and, beyond your VLOS limit, you can't really tell what's in the air around the drone, what might be a threat to the drone or, more importantly, what the drone might be a threat to.
What you can see on the phone's screen is relatively speaking a very narrow field of view. Try o search on youtube for drone bird attack and see how often the attacking bird in not seen until it is too late.

Besides, on the following page your FAA states "3. Keep your drone within the visual line of sight or use a visual observer who is co-located (physically next to) and in direct communication with you."

https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_flyers

2023-6-1
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

I have the mini 2. Not sure how different it is from the mini 2 se. I am using the rcn1 remote. I can get up to 3000ft in some area. I also tried other locations and got max 7000 ft. So if you are getting 3500 ft, I think that is normal. Don't expect to get the 10km to 15km advertising range lol. Try a different location, and are you also flying close to 400ft? The higher you are up, the less interference. When I tested mine, it is at 393 ft above ground level.
2023-6-1
Use props
bedevere
lvl.1

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 6-1 09:30
Just out of curiosity, what's the 'fascination' with flying to a distance of several miles?
I understand the desire to range test and have done it myself ... over the sea .....  but not over other peoples' houses. If something goes wrong my drone would have gone into, or been sent into, the sea, not threatened people or property.
Perhaps that is something to consider.

I've had the drone for about a week and it's more of a test drive than anything.   
2023-6-1
Use props
bedevere
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 6-1 09:46
I have the mini 2. Not sure how different it is from the mini 2 se. I am using the rcn1 remote. I can get up to 3000ft in some area. I also tried other locations and got max 7000 ft. So if you are getting 3500 ft, I think that is normal. Don't expect to get the 10km to 15km advertising range lol. Try a different location, and are you also flying close to 400ft? The higher you are up, the less interference. When I tested mine, it is at 393 ft above ground level.

My father in-law has 100 acres in another state and will be there in a couple weeks so I'll give it a go there.
2023-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules