Question on registered drones in USA
1695 7 2023-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

I have a question on registration drones in the USA. From my understanding is any drones under 250 grams, do not need to be registered. I have registered my mavic 3 pro and paid the $5 fee. If i buy another drone that is over 250 grams, do i need to registered it too or no? I was watching this youtube video. This guy who reviews drones for a living. He said if you fly under recreational flying, you only need to registered once and it will cover all drones you own. You only need to registered each and every drone only if you fly under part 107. I do not fly drones for making money. I fly for hobby and fun and thats it. So part 107 have nothing to do with me. So from my understanding, i only need to register once. So since i already registered my mavic 3 pro, if i buy other drones example air 2 s, i do not need to register the air 2 s, correct? These government money hungry just want our money in my opinion. Kinda stupid how we have to do all this crap. Why cant we just buy our drones and go out and fly and have fun. These dumb rules dont make sense.

Here is the video where the guy said only need to register once if flying under recreational flying. Skip to 1:45.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LqTjYAQunyQ&pp=ygUTNyB3YXlzIGRyb25lIHBvaWxvdA%3D%3D
2023-6-2
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

it's a little bit complicated only because the faa is not always entirely clear regarding the "process."  technically, as a recreational pilot, once you visit faa.gov and pay your $5 one-time and get your registration number, you should never have to revisit the site again (until renewal).  you can continue to buy recreational drones and simply affix the same registration number on each and every drone whether it is required (over 250g) or not (under 250g).  i am already registered as a recreational drone pilot and even though i bought the mini 3 pro, it doesn't hurt to slap a sticker on it.  don't have to but i do so anyway.

so what has changed?  apparently when you first register as a recreational pilot, there is a section that permits you to list your drone details.  this wasn't the case when i registered and i have never been instructed to go back into my registration and start adding my drones.  after all, you don't get a new registration number each time.  and, as far as i can tell, the database is not used in any way to verify the validity of the drone registration.  your registration number is valid regardless of how many drones it is attached to.  going into the faa database doesn't make the drone+registration combination valid, does it?  i dunno, never heard that.  so i've had a dozen drones but none of them are listed on faa.gov, are we supposed to manage our "fleet" on the faa.gov website by adding and removing drones as necessary?  if so, why now?  i thought that was a "commercial" task.

i understand when remote id becomes a requirement it may be necessary to go back and revisit the registration but until then, personally i just use the same set of stickers on all my drones and i add them when i buy drones and i remove them when i sell drones.  i have not visited faa.gov since.  again, perhaps the faa rules have changed recently......
2023-6-2
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

btw, from your video, russ is reliable and trustworthy but please make sure you check something more recently since the laws may have changed over the years.
2023-6-2
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
United States

The Saint Posted at 6-2 07:57
it's a little bit complicated only because the faa is not always entirely clear regarding the "process."  technically, as a recreational pilot, once you visit faa.gov and pay your $5 one-time and get your registration number, you should never have to revisit the site again (until renewal).  you can continue to buy recreational drones and simply affix the same registration number on each and every drone whether it is required (over 250g) or not (under 250g).  i am already registered as a recreational drone pilot and even though i bought the mini 3 pro, it doesn't hurt to slap a sticker on it.  don't have to but i do so anyway.

so what has changed?  apparently when you first register as a recreational pilot, there is a section that permits you to list your drone details.  this wasn't the case when i registered and i have never been instructed to go back into my registration and start adding my drones.  after all, you don't get a new registration number each time.  and, as far as i can tell, the database is not used in any way to verify the validity of the drone registration.  your registration number is valid regardless of how many drones it is attached to.  going into the faa database doesn't make the drone+registration combination valid, does it?  i dunno, never heard that.  so i've had a dozen drones but none of them are listed on faa.gov, are we supposed to manage our "fleet" on the faa.gov website by adding and removing drones as necessary?  if so, why now?  i thought that was a "commercial" task.

So i can use same registration number on my mavic 3 pro on other drones I will be buying? That sounds good, better than having to register for every single one. I was worry they scan the drone serial number into their system and be like,  well this drone never been register and that registration number is for a different drone. Here is your ticket. O.o
2023-6-2
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 6-2 08:42
So i can use same registration number on my mavic 3 pro on other drones I will be buying? That sounds good, better than having to register for every single one. I was worry they scan the drone serial number into their system and be like,  well this drone never been register and that registration number is for a different drone. Here is your ticket. O.o

correct, as far as know, for the recreational pilot, the registration number is identical for each and every recreational drone you own.  at no point will you be required to obtain a different registration number.  as far as how the online registration system works regarding your individual drones, still a bit unclear to me. however, in no case are you subject to any sort of systematic validation that would result in a legal discrepancy.  which has always been my point, none of this is strong enough to be strictly enforceable except the "affixing the sticker...." part.  someone else may have a different pov.
2023-6-2
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459954 ft
United States

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 6-2 08:42

I’m pretty sure they need the serial number of your newly acquired drone added to your FAA DroneZone account if it’s over 0.55  pounds.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/remote_id/drone_pilots

It’s my understanding that they want you to login to your dronezone account and add the serial number of any drone that you acquire or own if it’s over 0.55 pounds even if you’ve already registered a different drone.
https://faadronezone-access.faa.gov/#/

If you’re still in doubt, they have a number you can call or email them.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/register_drone

2023-6-2
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
United States

DroneApe Posted at 6-2 20:58
I’m pretty sure they need the serial number of your new drone added to your account if it’s over 0.55  pounds.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/remote_id/drone_pilots

But the question is. Will i have to pay $5 again? Or do i just need to add it to the list for free since i already paid for the first drone.
2023-6-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. If you want to purchase a new drone for example an DJI Air 2s, it needs to register again as the drone model and serial number are not the same. You may contact the FAA directly using the link that DroneApe provided above for more information. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules