o(^-^)o
spaceman5
lvl.1
Israel

Hi all

I have just bought the DJI Action 3.
I updated its firmware to the latest firmware,
and I have a small question.

When turning the Action 3 On, It always defaults to Photo mode.
Even if last time before I turned it off, I was in Video mode, it will still turn on in Photo mode.

Can I make it turn on in Video mode?
I never shoot photos with it.

BTW:
I know I can turn it on and automatically start recording a video, by pressing the button on the top.
But that's not what I ask about.

I would like to turn it on regularly, without yet starting to record,
yet to be in Video mode..

Is there a way to do it?
If yes, please write how.

If not,
allow me to suggest:
1) Either a setting to choose the Default Startup Mode
or
2) When Turning On, it will be in the last mode it was, before it was Turned Off

Please help..

Thank you

2023-6-6
Use props
spaceman5
lvl.1
Israel

OK I have an update.

Apparently, it does save the last mode you were in,
and when you next Turn On the device, it starts in that last mode.

The reason my Action 3 always came back to "Photo" mode,
is because of the QuickSwitch feature:
If you short press the Power button, it shows the QuickSwitch screen,
and in that screen, it always changes to the First mode that is listed there (according to what you chose in the settings).

So it happened, that many times I short pressed the Power button, and so always reverted back to the First listed mode, which is Photo.

To solve this, a simple setting to Disable the QuickSwitch screen, when short-pressing the Power button,
and instead, short pressing the power button wil turn off the device.
(this is much easier than long pressing such a hard to press button)

Can that please be added as a setting?
2023-6-6
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Remove Photo mode from quick switch

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &extra=page%3D1
2023-6-6
Use props
spaceman5
lvl.1
Israel

Thank you johansenfoto

Indeed that's what I did, as a workaround,
but since thePower button is so hard to press,
and since some users (me for example), never use this button for the QuickSwitch mode,
then removing the QuickSwitch feature from this button,
and so enabling to Turn Off the device using a Short Press rather than a Long Press of 2-3 seconds,
would be a real improvement in user experience.

I hope the developers of the firmware see this and consider this.
2023-6-6
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

spaceman5 Posted at 6-6 09:44
Thank you johansenfoto

I also never use the quick switch button, and I totally agree I wish it was not that hard to press.
2023-6-6
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

"...so enabling to Turn Off the device using a Short Press rather than a Long Press of 2-3 seconds, would be a real improvement in user experience..."

How so? Most electronic devices (including phones, tablets) use a long press to power them down and a short press to put them to sleep. Even computers (laptop/desktop) use a long press of the power button to bypass the regular shutdown procedure and force them to shut down abnormally (eg in case the computer locked up or hanged, etc). If you have a ceramic or induction based stove top, they also use long press to shut the stove off. It's an internationally recognized standard (I'd say). When using your phone, do you find it a bad UX to long press the on/off switc to turn them off?

2023-6-6
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

spaceman5 Posted at 6-6 09:44
Thank you johansenfoto

Hi, spaceman5. Thank you for your feedback. Turning off the QuickSwitch feature has been forwarded. (Please refer to the Forum link provided by johansenfoto). With the Short Press, we can also send it to our relevant team as a suggestion of yours. But please note that the Osmo Action 3 is waterproof at depths of up to 16 m. To ensure that the product can be used under this depth and pressure, the Quick Switch Button and Shutter/Record Button are made of hard materials to prevent them from being activated due to too great water pressure. The buttons therefore may feel somewhat tight/stiff or need to long press during regular use.
2023-6-7
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

osmonauta Posted at 6-6 17:05
"...so enabling to Turn Off the device using a Short Press rather than a Long Press of 2-3 seconds, would be a real improvement in user experience..."

The button on OA3 need good amount of force to be turned off compared to gopro that I thought needed a lot of force before.
2023-6-7
Use props
spaceman5
lvl.1
Israel

Hi DJI Gamora

Thank you very much for your reply.

Regarding:

>The Osmo Action 3 is waterproof at depths of up to 16 m.
>To ensure that the product can be used under this depth and pressure, the Quick Switch Button and Shutter/Record Button
>are made of hard materials to prevent them from being activated due to too great water pressure.
>The buttons therefore may feel somewhat tight/stiff or need to long press during regular use.

Yes, I understood why the designers of the product's Hardware chose such hard-to-press button components.
But I think to myself:
How many people out of all Action Camera buyers go to dive in a depththat is  deep enough, inwhich the buttons may be under the relevant pressure? e.g. more than 10m
1% of buyers maybe? Maybe less?

So for this reason, 99% of the users have to struggle with such hard to press buttons,
that many times either don't get pressed,
or get pressed not long enough in order to perform the required operation (e.g. Turn Off),
really, what a pain

Maybe a simple solution for that would be to have a "Diving Edition" of the product,
and that Diving Edition will be 100% hardware identical, except for the 2 buttons:
The Diving Edition will have the really hard-to-ress buttons  - like what is used now,
and the Regular (non-diving) edition will have much easier to press buttons. (normal buttons)

Of course the Regular (non-diving) edition could still be used underwater,
but not upto 16m, but something less,
e.g. upto 10 or 5m.. (requires measuring)

Really,
after using the product for a week,
my biggest pain with it is the buttons.

And ironically I am a grown up, and have a difficulty to press them,
what would kids say?
For them it would be more difficult.

I highly recommend you guys to have a small conversation regarding the buttons,
and whether the 16m Depth feature is worth making the product be with such difficult operate buttons.
99% of the people don't go to 16m depth..
Most people, even when they go underwater, barely go to 2m.. so 16...

I thank you for your time and for your help.
2023-6-7
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I agree. The buttons are stiff. I have to use my thumb and my other thumb on top to push it down! I just let the camera turn itself off most times. I can’t be bothered.

It seems a bit over the top to me just to do this for divers. It could still be waterproof with that amount of force needed to switch on.
2023-6-7
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, spaceman5. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Rest assured that this will be forwarded as suggestions of yours. Thank you for your continued support as well.
2023-6-16
Use props
spaceman5
lvl.1
Israel

Thank you too
2023-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules