RTK
1692 14 2023-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cpillotongmail.com
lvl.2

United States

A simple question:  does RTK work on the Mavic 3 Enterprise?  My conclusion:  no, it does not.  This conclusion was reached after a couple weeks of troubleshooting, interactions with the NC CORS network administrator and with DJI support.   After sending them screen shots, logs, etc., DJI support is now saying there is a problem with the RC and I should send them the 3E and the RC "for diagnoses and repair".  Which means that I have to give up at least oone large mapping job I had pending (never mind telling the client I don't have RTK to meet their requirements).  
My options at this point seem to be :
  • Send them the 3E, cross my fingers and forget about the lost revenue.  Hope that they can get me a 3E that supports RTK within a couple of weeks without my having to invest a bunch more $$$.
  • Ask for my money back on the 3E and order a replacement.  I've already returned and ordered a new RTK module but it's on backorder through July - so this isn't a near-term solution either.
  • Ask for my money back, cancel all my DJI orders and get an Autel or Skydio with RTK (dual camera with thermal since I had also ordered a 3T which is also on backorder through July).
Paying out another $4-5K+ for an M30T is not really an option I can afford.

Any suggestions?

2023-6-8
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Yes the RTK works very well on the M3E.

There is little (zero) chance that DJI will refund you anything.

Did you install the RTK module properly? Did you write your credentials correctly?

2023-6-8
Use props
cpillotongmail.com
lvl.2

United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 6-8 11:50
Yes the RTK works very well on the M3E.

There is little (zero) chance that DJI will refund you anything.

I have confirmation from the NC CORS network administrator from their logs that I was logged in and they were sending back correction data.  This confirms that I was connected via wifi, had the correct parameters entered and was transmitting.
Status message on RC was "Connected. Converging data".  Tried different locations (one within 2.5 km of physical CORS station) at ground and 200' AGL, different mount points, etc. etc. etc. Never got past converging, did briefly get some correction data but it never went to FIX status.
Very frustrating - you should feel lucky if it's working for you!
2023-6-8
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

cpillotongmail.com Posted at 6-8 12:09
I have confirmation from the NC CORS network administrator from their logs that I was logged in and they were sending back correction data.  This confirms that I was connected via wifi, had the correct parameters entered and was transmitting.
Status message on RC was "Connected. Converging data".  Tried different locations (one within 2.5 km of physical CORS station) at ground and 200' AGL, different mount points, etc. etc. etc. Never got past converging, did briefly get some correction data but it never went to FIX status.
Very frustrating - you should feel lucky if it's working for you!

Have you tried to deactivate the RTK, take off, reactivate in flight? Because on the ground it's sometimes very hard to have a FIX, a building, a tree... and it stays in converging state.

Then there is the format of the corrections that your provider sends you. You have to make sure that it sends the information corresponding to the requirements of your receiver.

NC CORS is a Trimble network so in principle there should be no problem.
2023-6-8
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>
United States

Or buy or rent a GPS to use as a base station to provide corrections to your M3E. If that still doesn't work, use the base station to shoot GCPs to complete your upcoming mapping effort. You could probably rent an M3E to complete immediate work while yours is in for repair.
2023-6-8
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is a huge difference between "I received a faulty unit that does does perform as expected" and "Does the product in general perform as expected?".

And along the way there is operator competence.

To the OP, if RTK just did not work at all on the M3E platform, do you think you were the first to discover it?
2023-6-8
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13349895 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Is it producing a valid .nav and .obs file inside the flight folder? If so, you can always PPK your images which can often produce more accurate data than just RTK alone. You can grab the Rinex file from the same CORS base that you would use to RTK with. Emlid Studio is one option to PPK with that is 100% free. Screenshot 2023-06-08 204023.png
2023-6-8
Use props
cpillotongmail.com
lvl.2

United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 6-8 13:19
Have you tried to deactivate the RTK, take off, reactivate in flight? Because on the ground it's sometimes very hard to have a FIX, a building, a tree... and it stays in converging state.

Then there is the format of the corrections that your provider sends you. You have to make sure that it sends the information corresponding to the requirements of your receiver.

Yes, I tried de-activate-reactivate in the air at 200'.

You're correct about the NC CORS being Trimble - I verified with the Administrator and we had a long conversation about format.  At the end, after confirming the data had been sent back, the conclusion was that the DJI receiver should have had no problem with the format - and yet it did.  Based on the info provided by DJI support after analyzing the logs, the fault appears to be in the RC.
2023-6-9
Use props
cpillotongmail.com
lvl.2

United States

Johnnokomis Posted at 6-8 17:44
Is it producing a valid .nav and .obs file inside the flight folder? If so, you can always PPK your images which can often produce more accurate data than just RTK alone. You can grab the Rinex file from the same CORS base that you would use to RTK with. Emlid Studio is one option to PPK with that is 100% free.

It got far enough to produce correction data one time and only briefly, so PPK would not be an option.
2023-6-9
Use props
cpillotongmail.com
lvl.2

United States

patiam Posted at 6-8 16:33
There is a huge difference between "I received a faulty unit that does does perform as expected" and "Does the product in general perform as expected?".

And along the way there is operator competence.

Actually, if you check the forums, this specific issue ("Converging data. . .") has been reported many times, particularly with the Matrice 300 but also with the M3E.

So explain how OP competence comes into play when the RC displays the message "Converging data" and refuses to go into FIX status under any of many various circumstances and settings.
2023-6-9
Use props
cpillotongmail.com
lvl.2

United States

Glenn Goodlett Posted at 6-8 16:20
Or buy or rent a GPS to use as a base station to provide corrections to your M3E. If that still doesn't work, use the base station to shoot GCPs to complete your upcoming mapping effort. You could probably rent an M3E to complete immediate work while yours is in for repair.

Thanks, Glenn, for the suggestion on rental.  I checked on that and it seems viable at $150-$200/day (3-day min.).  Plus, I can add in the D-RTK2 to experiment with to see if I should get one (once I get a working M3E system).
That's the kind of suggestion I was really looking for.  I'm going to send the M3E to support today after I sign up for the rental.
2023-6-9
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13349895 ft
  • >>>
United States

cpillotongmail.com Posted at 6-9 02:42
It got far enough to produce correction data one time and only briefly, so PPK would not be an option.

I think you are have a misunderstanding of what PPK is (or I might have a misunderstanding of your reply). You don't need to receive any kind of corrections in flight for a PPK workflow. You can fly like you would a consumer drone, and then you receive your corrections afterwards. It could be minutes after or even weeks later as long as you have the correct Rinex file from your CORS provider. You'll never achieve a true cm level accuracy using RTK, this could only be achieved through PPK. Even then it is rare though.
2023-6-9
Use props
chazawalla
lvl.1
Canada

@cpillotongmail.com, have you had any luck getting this to work? I'm having the same issue with my M3M, RTK worked great for the first month but since then I can't get past Converging. Made a post about it before seeing you're having the same issue... My theory is either the controller or the RTK module are faulty so really hoping to get a quick resolution (skeptical) so I can actually use it during this farm season!

Is it generally recommended to go through DJI support or go through my dealer? My controller has a dead LED too but I wasn't planning on warrantying that until the fall when I don't need it for a few months again.
2023-6-16
Use props
cpillotongmail.com
lvl.2

United States

chazawalla Posted at 6-16 09:16
@cpillotongmail.com, have you had any luck getting this to work? I'm having the same issue with my M3M, RTK worked great for the first month but since then I can't get past Converging. Made a post about it before seeing you're having the same issue... My theory is either the controller or the RTK module are faulty so really hoping to get a quick resolution (skeptical) so I can actually use it during this farm season!

Is it generally recommended to go through DJI support or go through my dealer? My controller has a dead LED too but I wasn't planning on warrantying that until the fall when I don't need it for a few months again.

I had to send the M3E and RC back to DJI support.  I got an email back that they are replacing the main board in the RC and sending it back to me.
BTW - I've recently read on the DJI forum that the M3T and M3M don't process accurate correction data because they don't have a timing function. that the M3E has.  You might want to research that.  I'm waiting for delivery of the backordered M3T and, when I have both of them, I intend to test RTK on both of them and compare RMSEs.
2023-6-16
Use props
chazawalla
lvl.1
Canada

cpillotongmail.com Posted at 6-16 10:23
I had to send the M3E and RC back to DJI support.  I got an email back that they are replacing the main board in the RC and sending it back to me.
BTW - I've recently read on the DJI forum that the M3T and M3M don't process accurate correction data because they don't have a timing function. that the M3E has.  You might want to research that.  I'm waiting for delivery of the backordered M3T and, when I have both of them, I intend to test RTK on both of them and compare RMSEs.

You've got to be kidding me.... nothing like spending C$6000 on a drone that can't even properly use the RTK module they sell it with??

How serious is the lack of timing function? I don't know anything about RTK other than it means max accuracy and no drift. You'd think the M/T drones would be identical other than the bolt on accessories..
2023-6-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules