Majestic, Picturesque Hafod
758 26 2023-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
James Dunbar
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi everyone, I've put together a new video and it's about Hafod Estate in mid-Wales. The Estate is now managed by the National Trust, so flying the drone inside was not allowed, so I suppose this video is a bit of an experiment in using the Mini 3 Pro as a handheld camera.
I must say I found the whole filming experience very frustrating! I ended up doing 5 visits to the estate and suffered the dreaded "settings reset" nightmare which rendered a lot of footage unusable. It's also the first time I've used Final Cut Pro's new 'Color Conform' and improved white balance and I must say these features make it much easier to convert D-Cinelike to HDR! Might be of interest to some of you...

2023-6-13
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Lovely places. Good sound design. Ah, National Trust, so no drone flying - shame. How did you do the map/path animation?
2023-6-13
Use props
James Dunbar
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Depp Posted at 6-13 21:36
Lovely places. Good sound design. Ah, National Trust, so no drone flying - shame. How did you do the map/path animation?

Hi, thanks for watching. Yes the no drone rule is a pain! Made me wish I'd never started filming this one because not being able to fly feels so limiting.

I use Apple's 'Motion' program for the animations. I stitch together a large background map from satellite photos, then import into Motion. I then add the text and trail layers and finally add a camera to achieve the zooming and tracking. The 'drawing' of the trail is done by key framing a setting called 'last point offset' on the Bézier curve.
2023-6-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6260935 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So many beautiful walks around that area. Beautifully shown here. I'm reminded by the name Hafod, of our first holiday in Wales many years ago. A little B&B on the outskirts of Betwys-y-Coed, called Hafod-y-Coed, from which we could walk to Swallow Falls, and the ugly house, or up the hills to Llyn Elsi, and further down toi Ffos Anoddun. Happy days.  Great job on the editing.  I too have used a drone as a H/h camera on a couple of occasions. Now the advent of the Pocket2 is a useful alternative.
2023-6-13
Use props
James Dunbar
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 6-13 22:14
So many beautiful walks around that area. Beautifully shown here. I'm reminded by the name Hafod, of our first holiday in Wales many years ago. A little B&B on the outskirts of Betwys-y-Coed, called Hafod-y-Coed, from which we could walk to Swallow Falls, and the ugly house, or up the hills to Llyn Elsi, and further down toi Ffos Anoddun. Happy days.  Great job on the editing.  I too have used a drone as a H/h camera on a couple of occasions. Now the advent of the Pocket2 is a useful alternative.

So many beautiful walks is very true! Lots for me to film

I hadn't considered the Pocket 2. I like the fact that I can switch off sharpening and noise reduction with the Mini 3 Pro - is this possible with the Pocket 2? Then again, I will soon be broke if I buy any more gear!
2023-6-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

With the Pocket2 in PRO mode, you can set normal or d-cinelike,  exposure and white balance, also switch from single to auto focus.  Record HDR video.  It's a versatile litte beast.  I like to set it on a tripod mount and use DJI Mimo from my phone via bluetooth to adjust controls, move the gimbal and zoom in or out.  Much steadier than holding it in my shaky old fist.
2023-6-13
Use props
James Dunbar
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 6-13 22:35
With the Pocket2 in PRO mode, you can set normal or d-cinelike,  exposure and white balance, also switch from single to auto focus.  Record HDR video.  It's a versatile litte beast.  I like to set it on a tripod mount and use DJI Mimo from my phone via bluetooth to adjust controls, move the gimbal and zoom in or out.  Much steadier than holding it in my shaky old fist.

I will have a look - I bought the Osmo Mobile 6 a while ago intending to use my iPhone, but I just don't like the over sharpened look of Apple's video processing and they won't allow developers to turn it off. So... Osmo is now just an ornament on my shelf
2023-6-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

James Dunbar Posted at 6-13 22:42
I will have a look - I bought the Osmo Mobile 6 a while ago intending to use my iPhone, but I just don't like the over sharpened look of Apple's video processing and they won't allow developers to turn it off. So... Osmo is now just an ornament on my shelf

Maybe part-ex it against a Pocket 2 - offset the cost a little
2023-6-13
Use props
James Dunbar
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 6-13 23:03
Maybe part-ex it against a Pocket 2 - offset the cost a little

To be honest, I think I am going to avoid hand held filming from now on! It was so frustrating and I just adore the versatility of flying - the only limitation is the wind gusts around here. No wonder we have so many wind turbines
2023-6-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

James Dunbar Posted at 6-13 23:11
To be honest, I think I am going to avoid hand held filming from now on! It was so frustrating and I just adore the versatility of flying - the only limitation is the wind gusts around here. No wonder we have so many wind turbines

Well I'm all in favour of renewable energy too
I love my Mini3Pro (and my Mavic2Z)
2023-6-13
Use props
James Dunbar
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 6-13 23:23
Well I'm all in favour of renewable energy too
I love my Mini3Pro (and my Mavic2Z)

If you like wind farms, there's a couple of nice shots of Cefn Croes wind farm towards the end of my Pen Y Garn video
2023-6-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

James Dunbar Posted at 6-13 23:52
If you like wind farms, there's a couple of nice shots of Cefn Croes wind farm towards the end of my Pen Y Garn video

I'll take a look

And here's one of mine  

2023-6-13
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

James Dunbar Posted at 6-13 23:52

I've already subbed your YT channel by the way
2023-6-14
Use props
James Dunbar
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 6-14 00:03
I've already subbed your YT channel by the way

Thank you - and likewise. You got very close to that non functioning turbine - I must say I was terrified it would suddenly start rotating!
2023-6-14
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

James Dunbar Posted at 6-14 00:05
Thank you - and likewise. You got very close to that non functioning turbine - I must say I was terrified it would suddenly start rotating!

It was a tense moment
That was the old Phantom 4 I had at the time.
2023-6-14
Use props
James Dunbar
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 6-14 00:14
It was a tense moment
That was the old Phantom 4 I had at the time.

I can imagine!
2023-6-14
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I spent a good few minutes lining it up and getting as close as I could, then it was stick fully forward and off we go!  I forgot to engage sport mode as well, so it seemd to take an age
2023-6-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Awesome work.  
2023-6-14
Use props
James Dunbar
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks very much!
2023-6-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You're very welcome.
2023-6-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Still a very very nice video!
2023-6-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Beautiful location.  Great job on the video.  
2023-6-14
Use props
James Dunbar
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 6-14 02:06
Still a very very nice video!

Thanks very much!
2023-6-14
Use props
James Dunbar
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 6-14 02:44
Beautiful location.  Great job on the video.

It’s very beautiful - a bit dry when I was filming. Normally the waterfalls are absolutely gushing. Thanks for nice feedback.
2023-6-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You're welcome!
2023-6-14
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

James Dunbar Posted at 6-13 21:45
Hi, thanks for watching. Yes the no drone rule is a pain! Made me wish I'd never started filming this one because not being able to fly feels so limiting.

I use Apple's 'Motion' program for the animations. I stitch together a large background map from satellite photos, then import into Motion. I then add the text and trail layers and finally add a camera to achieve the zooming and tracking. The 'drawing' of the trail is done by key framing a setting called 'last point offset' on the Bézier curve.

Thanks, maybe I'll try that one day.
2023-6-14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

James Dunbar Posted at 6-14 03:08
It’s very beautiful - a bit dry when I was filming. Normally the waterfalls are absolutely gushing. Thanks for nice feedback.

You're very welcome James.  Looking forward to seeing your next posting.
2023-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules