Flying Below Take Off Point
2164 14 2023-6-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hesvey Martin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 192825 ft
Philippines

Hello DJI Team! I'm a newbie Mini 2 user here from the Philippines. I would like to ask if is it possible to fly our Mini 2 lower than where it took off like when you are at a roof deck and you want to fly your drone around ground level or like you're on a hill top overlooking the sea below and you want to fly your drone a little closer to the waters. In doing so, will it indicate a negative (-) elevation in the fly app? Thank you in advance for your responses! Fly safe everyone!
2023-6-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yes. possible to fly lower.
Height shown in the fly app shows than negative numbers.

Barometric height is sett to zero at takeoff, so all heights are referenced to takeoff height.

cheers
JJB
2023-6-16
Use props
hesveymartin
lvl.2
Philippines

JJB* Posted at 6-16 09:48

Thank you very much for that, JJB! have a great day! #flysafe
2023-6-16
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Yes, you can but please ensure the safety. We highly recommend you keep the drone within your line of sight to guarantee safety when flying. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.

2023-6-16
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

One point, be wary of flying the drone down into gorges or canyons where the drone's view of the sky might be restricted and GPS lost, that can lead to 'complications'.
2023-6-17
Use props
hesveymartin
lvl.2
Philippines

hesveymartin Posted at 6-16 12:14
Thank you very much for that, JJB! have a great day! #flysafe

Thank you for that reminder. I will make sure that the aircraft is on my VLOS. Appreciate that! Thanks
2023-6-17
Use props
hesveymartin
lvl.2
Philippines

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 6-17 02:31
One point, be wary of flying the drone down into gorges or canyons where the drone's view of the sky might be restricted and GPS lost, that can lead to 'complications'.

Complications like automatic activation of RTH, right? I will take note of that as well! thanks!
2023-6-17
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Descending below the take off point makes no difference to RTH.

BUT what you would need to be careful of is, if, for example, you initiated an RTH whilst the drone was within any of the applicable horizontal-distance-from-the-home-point thresholds and that behaviour changes from model to model so you need to be sure you know what the drone's manual says.
For the mini 2
"If the aircraft is less than 20 m from the Home Point when RTH begins, it will hover in place and not
return to home (firmware version v1.1.0.0 is required. Otherwise, the aircraft will land immediately).
If the aircraft is further than 20 m from the Home Point when RTH begins, it will return home at a horizontal speed of 10.5 m/s."

However losing GPS would prevent an RTH.
"The aircraft cannot return to the Home Point if the GPS signal is weak or unavailable. If the GPS signal becomes weak or unavailable after RTH is triggered, the aircraft will hover in place for a while before landing."

2023-6-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 6-17 07:08
Descending below the take off point makes no difference to RTH. BUT what you would need to be careful of is if, for example, if you initiated an RTH whilst the drone was within any horizontal distance from the home point thresholds and that behaviour changes from model to model so you need to be sure you know what the drone's manual says.
For the mini 2
"If the aircraft is less than 20 m from the Home Point when RTH begins, it will hover in place and not

The OP made no mention at all of flying down into narrow canyons.
None of what you are discussing has any effect on what he is intending.
You are just confusing him unnecessarily with things that are irrelevant..
2023-6-17
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 6-17 14:36
The OP made no mention at all of flying down into narrow canyons.
None of what you are discussing has any effect on what he is intending.
You are just confusing him unnecessarily.

Whilst it is true that they made on mention of flying of flying down into a gorge, tall buidlings can create gorge like enviroments.
As has been commented on in other threads where people have been told "flying between tall buildings can lead to loss of GPS by reducing the total number of satellites visible to the drone and or their spread.
Might you have made such a comment in the past?
Aside from that I think forewarned is forearmed.
I'd rather waste the time it took me to type the text than have the OP come back and start a "I lost my drone because it lost GPS and couldn't climb etc."
Either way, it's done now.
2023-6-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 6-17 14:58
Whilst it is true that they made on mention of flying of flying down into a gorge, tall buidlings can create gorge like enviroments.
As has been commented on in other threads where people have been told "flying between tall buildings can lead to loss of GPS by reducing the total number of satellites visible to the drone and or their spread.

And he made no mention of flying between tall buildings either.
His question was plain and simple.

No, I wouldn't have unless it was relevant.

Aside from that I think forewarned is forearmed.
So you want to warn of every possible incident regardless of how relevant it is to the question?
Forewarned of things that are irrelevant just confuses people.

I'd rather waste the time it took me to type the text than have the OP come back and start a "I lost my drone because it lost GPS and couldn't climb etc."
But you didn't warn him about flying downwind in strong winds, or about preventing yaw errors, or a dozen other things that might cause a problem.
Perhaps you should type up a five page essay and have that on hand to copy and paste just to cover all the bases whenever a new flyer asks a simple question?

2023-6-17
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 6-17 15:35
And he made no mention of flying between tall buildings either.
His question was plain and simple.

Jesus wept Labroides get a grip and stop being such an ...........

I didn't even bother reading all the way through it.

You post some good stuff at times and completely torpoedo any esteem you might gather with crap like this.
2023-6-17
Use props
Snoopy70
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4762470 ft
Canada

Also, I once tried flying down into a mine shaft, and suddenly the drone started initializing landing. So I stopped descending, and came back out.
2023-6-19
Use props
djiuser_Nk6zmAOeyD84
New

Canada

JJB* Posted at 2023-6-16 09:48

the probleme is the as sonn as i go down to 1.5 M it triggers automatic landing.  i know there is a cancell button but as soon as i go lower it triggers again.How to prevent automatic landing ?
3-13 12:19
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_Nk6zmAOeyD84 Posted at 3-13 12:19
the probleme is the as sonn as i go down to 1.5 M it triggers automatic landing.  i know there is a cancell button but as soon as i go lower it triggers again.How to prevent automatic landing ?

Autolanding is normally inititated at 0.5 meter IR height AND with RC stick down.
If IR sensor measure a False (lens dirty or wet etc) height og 0.5 meter....autolanding will happen also.

So 1.5 meter is not normal....sure about this 1.5 ?

Better to share your flightlog for this issue

cheers
JJB

3-13 12:37
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules