Odd Flare on Main Hasselblad (1x) lens
776 13 2023-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
airluxe
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

First sunset out with the M3P... I'm getting an odd flare (there are 3 scenes to watch for an example). No scratch on the lens or camera. Is this a faulty unit/fixable with firmware/or how the M3P camera operates (I seriously doubt it's the latter). Anyone able to help with this one?

2023-6-19
Use props
MS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54469 ft
United Kingdom

It's normal, if the gimbal/drone are at the "wrong" angle to the Sun. I've experienced them on the Mini 3 Pro.
2023-6-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Do you have a filter on?
2023-6-19
Use props
airluxe
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

MS Posted at 6-19 21:14
It's normal, if the gimbal/drone are at the "wrong" angle to the Sun. I've experienced them on the Mini 3 Pro.

I've owned upwards of 11 dji drones the last 9 years. This has never happened and as a professional videographer, it renders your most valued shot useless "the sun flare". I've really liked the telescopic lens but if this is how the M3P operates, it's most definitely getting returned.
2023-6-20
Use props
airluxe
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 6-19 22:43
Do you have a filter on?

No, just the clear lens protector that came with DJI. Will be doing a test tonight without that protector on to see if that is the culprit.
2023-6-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

airluxe Posted at 6-20 01:43
No, just the clear lens protector that came with DJI. Will be doing a test tonight without that protector on to see if that is the culprit.

There is a lot of reasons why you can get reflections / flares like this, but not much you can do about it other than filters, shades or just taking a different angle.
Let's hope it's not some small damage on the internal lenses because I never saw one this shape (not that I see a lot, but still).
2023-6-20
Use props
airluxe
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 6-20 02:47
There is a lot of reasons why you can get reflections / flares like this, but not much you can do about it other than filters, shades or just taking a different angle.
Let's hope it's not some small damage on the internal lenses because I never saw one this shape (not that I see a lot, but still).

9 years of running a professional videography company, thousands of sun-flares, this has never come up on any DJI drone or Sony cine camera
2023-6-20
Use props
MS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54469 ft
United Kingdom

airluxe Posted at 6-20 01:42
I've owned upwards of 11 dji drones the last 9 years. This has never happened and as a professional videographer, it renders your most valued shot useless "the sun flare". I've really liked the telescopic lens but if this is how the M3P operates, it's most definitely getting returned.

I agree it does ruin the photo or video.
Here's a screen grab from a video taken with the Mini 3 Pro, when I had the issue.
2023-6-20
Use props
airluxe
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

MS Posted at 6-20 04:55
I agree it does ruin the photo or video.
Here's a screen grab from a video taken with the Mini 3 Pro, when I had the issue.
[view_image]

Should have returned your mini... DJI reported it was defective today
2023-6-20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, airluxe. Thank you for reaching out. Can you please provide the Serial Number of this drone? Also, please follow the steps below:
1. Please try to avoid shooting face to the sun to see if the issue persists.
2. Did the issue occurs after using the product for a period of time or the product is new? If the product has been used for a period of time, it may be scratched or dirty.
3. If the product has been used for a period of time, check if the lens front cover was taken off frequently, which causes risks of scratches.
4, Check if the front cover of the camera and the lens glass are dirty, if any, please wipe it with a clean glasses cloth.
5. If there are scratch marks or you can't find the marks by yourself,  please send it back for inspection.
2023-6-21
Use props
airluxe
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 6-21 05:11
Hi, airluxe. Thank you for reaching out. Can you please provide the Serial Number of this drone? Also, please follow the steps below:
1. Please try to avoid shooting face to the sun to see if the issue persists.
2. Did the issue occurs after using the product for a period of time or the product is new? If the product has been used for a period of time, it may be scratched or dirty.

Thanks for the reply.
1) if thats the solution, that renders this drone useless. In every production we utilize sun flares
2) ive used it twice
3) it was never taken off prior to this discovery
4) did that, did not resolve issue
5) product is being returned under warranty
2023-6-21
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

I have seen that exact flare during live outdoor sporting events, especially golf. And those cameras cost hundreds of thousands.
2023-6-21
Use props
DroneApe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459954 ft
United States

2023-6-21
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

airluxe Posted at 6-21 06:13
Thanks for the reply.
1) if thats the solution, that renders this drone useless. In every production we utilize sun flares
2) ive used it twice

Hi, airluxe. Thank you for the update. If the issue persists after following the steps above, we will recommend sending it in for checking. Since it is being returned, if you need further assistance, please let us know. Thank you.
2023-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules