Boarding Plane with Phantom?
5808 17 2014-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eandeproduction
lvl.1
United States

Has anybody had any issues boarding a plane with a phantom as a carry on? I called Delta and they said the only rules about this are that the batteries and props have to go with your luggage underneath but said carry-on the phanton should be fine. All I have is the backpack and not the hard carry on case. has anybody ever had an issue with this??
2014-12-7
Use props
huntarr
lvl.2

United States

The lipos are hazardous material. It is the #1 concern for airline's. Higher threat rate than terrorism
2014-12-7
Use props
kjkisatsky
lvl.3

United States

This is important to keep updated.  I will be taking my first flight with mine in the Spring to Nevada.  I have the padded backpack.
2014-12-7
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

I would even call the airlines you plan to fly on and ask them for more information.
2014-12-7
Use props
eandeproduction
lvl.1
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2014-12-8 10:02
I would even call the airlines you plan to fly on and ask them for more information.

I called and they said it was ok but was wondering if anybody has done this before?
2014-12-7
Use props
nordkapph20
lvl.2

United States

IMO, this is the best case to carry our Phantom's, hands down! This is from Irixguy.com.

Great video, shows all the details to configure the foam and build it yourself. Easy and kind of fun.
You can't beat the case for the money, you would spend hundreds on a pelican case.  I got this case and it rocks!  Check out the video.

He gets into the topic of traveling by plane with it.  It says it is the biggest size you can get for a carry on.
It depends on the airline but I don't think it is carry on size.  I am flying American in 2 weeks and I am checking it on underneath.  I bought the TSA lock you can put on it so they can open it if need be without breaking the lock.  As for the batteries, it is the opposite. Everything will stay in the case Except the LIPO batteries.  Those I will have in my carry on.

2014-12-7
Use props
insitb
lvl.3

Singapore

OP, they wanted you to check in your batteries? Wow, an amazing display of ignorance. Whatever you do, don't check in your batteries.
2014-12-7
Use props
scott7161
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I usually carry mine in a carry on backpack made for the Phantom 2.  I've had no problems carrying the phantom 2 on the plane but they usually scan it twice and wipe the pack down looking for gunpowder residue and then want to ask all the usual questions - how much, how far, how high, etc.

Scott

http://www.youtube.com/doctorrennie
2014-12-7
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

scott7161@gmail Posted at 2014-12-8 14:17
I usually carry mine in a carry on backpack made for the Phantom 2.  I've had no problems carrying t ...

Same here, never had issues with a carry on bag, including the batteries.....
As stated previously on the forum in one of the many posts already covering the topic, I downplayed it as a toy and never mentioned the word drone.........
2014-12-8
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

If you're going to carry on the batteries, woud it be a good idea to also have a pre-paid mailing box addressed to either your home or your destination should the airline deny boarding?  If they deny, simply put in box and drop in the mail? So you dont lose them via confiscation..?
2014-12-8
Use props
snowglyder
New

United States

I brought it on a few different flights. Using one of the backpacks made for the Phantom 2 Vision+. Just a scan through security and not bothered at all. I did buy a lith-po battery pouch that's made to contain fires. Put them in the pouch and in the backpack, so that might have helped. I think it was $7 for a medium size pouch on Amazon (this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It can hold 3 of the smart batteries. On a more recent flight, I had 2 batteries in the pouch and one in the Phantom and got through just fine.
2014-12-8
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

jamesnns@gmail. Posted at 2014-12-9 02:49
If you're going to carry on the batteries, woud it be a good idea to also have a pre-paid mailing bo ...

Its only checked at security, no different to laptop batteries....  But It wouldn't hurt to have a back up plan......
2014-12-8
Use props
Gamecatcher
lvl.1

United States

I have traveled to every continent except Antarctica. Carried firearms with me to all the continents except Asia, would you believe I get more hassle with professional camera gear than firearms?

My experience is that the rules are subject to the whim of the idiot behind the counter. Having a copy of the airlines regulations and keeping a positive, open, non-combative attitude goes a long way. Had a huge "dust-up" in Zimbabwe last year over video equipment. Went through 3 different angry security officers in Dubai over the same issue, on the same trip!

Print out the airlines rules (all the airlines you will be flying) and bring them with you. In the US, you can also ask to take your baggage to TSA and have them inspect it in front of you. (You can ask, I didn't say they would always let you! It has almost always worked for me.)

As for international travel with a drone? I have no idea. I am sure that can get complicated and each country will have their own set of rules, similar to traveling with firearms.
2014-12-8
Use props
tmansonusa
lvl.2

United States

I took mine from Maryland to Alabama.  No problems at all.  I did acquire some LiPo-safe Nomex bags to put the batteries in, but nothing was ever said, and I doubt the TSA agents understood that it was Nomex.  On the say home, the guy operating the X-ray machine wanted to talk about the Quad, but never mentioned the batteries.

In my opinion the Nomex bags are key to safety in this case (and they are very cheap).  I would make sure that as a minimum the batteries are not electrically connected to anything.
2014-12-9
Use props
8Fifty Producti
lvl.1
United States

No problems, just put the batteries and props in my suitcase and carried on the phantom. Only flew in US however
2015-7-12
Use props
trrdesign
lvl.2

United States

Denergized the batteries, prior to flying.  Placed each one in a zip lock baggy, so that no way they could touch eash other.  Carried it on and went through the scanner.  No problems at all.  DO NOT CHECK THE BATTERIES.  COMPARTMENT HOLDS ARE NOT PRESSURIZED AND THE BATTERIES COULD EXPLODE!!!
2015-7-12
Use props
rexster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2740 ft
United States

trrdesign@cox.n Posted at 2015-7-13 08:59
Denergized the batteries, prior to flying.  Placed each one in a zip lock baggy, so that no way they ...

Flew down to Cozumel last month, bird, controller and blades and extra blades in a Pelican style hard case and 4 batteries in a lipo case that was carried on in another carryon bag. No problems on United whatsoever, going down and coming back home. Didn't have to open the case, just went through the scanners.
2015-7-13
Use props
adrianjacobs
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I used to sometimes have problems with auto-inflate lifejackets when flying, so I wrote to the airlines I was flying with and asked for their advice.  

All said it was OK, and I printed out the replies and took them with me when checking in and through security.  Once shown the letters, there was no further problems.
2015-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules