P3P lost
1713 18 2015-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gquist
lvl.1

United States

I was flying my P3P over dense woods, had good signal and the low battery warning came up so I hit the return to home button and it lost signal, I have yet to find back the craft but I looked into the settings on the DJI GO app and I see the return to home settings are at 0 meters, I am guessing that as soon as I hit the button it flew itself into the ground, I had just flown it 1\2 hour before that for a successful flight and used the return to home, not sure what caused the rth setting to change, I see max flight altitude is also set to 0 meters.
My question is if there is any way to get a gps coordinates from the screen so I can enter them into another gps to use to walk to the location it last was?
2015-8-29
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

If u look at the flight log in the app it will give u the place it was at before it lost signal, that may give u a rough idea as to where start looking and following a straight line back to where u were standing
2015-8-29
Use props
Gabe R
lvl.4

United States

Sorry to hear about you loss. I hope you recover it fairly un-damaged. Next time I would suggest not pushing it until the battery warning comes up. I start brining my back before it hits 25%. Also a word of advice would not to always rely on RTH. It's a $1300 investment and I like knowing it's coming back on my own control, prime example something went wrong changing your RTH altitude to 0 meters, brining home on your own it would still be flying today.            Once again hope you're able to find it and that others learn not to rely on this.
2015-8-29
Use props
gquist
lvl.1

United States

Where is the flight log?
2015-8-29
Use props
sprawl
lvl.2

Finland

gquist Posted at 2015-8-29 18:47
Where is the flight log?

DJI/flightrecords folder(android)

And you can use example this page to analyse the data: http://healthydrones.com/

Im not 100% sure, but i remember at andoird show RTH and others values as "0" if your not connected to plane or rc.
2015-8-29
Use props
gquist
lvl.1

United States

I found it back, just had to walk around in the area and there it was, But it will need to be sent in for damage repair, so much for my summer of flying
2015-8-29
Use props
faubert44
lvl.1

Canada

Why use RTH button when you can manually fly it back ?
2015-8-29
Use props
Rocket_Aus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

faubert44 Posted at 2015-8-30 02:32

Yep fully agree alot of people use it as a lazy fly home option .
2015-8-29
Use props
gquist
lvl.1

United States

I am just learning how to fly this and I find the rth a nice break from flying, Gives the fingers a rest, The option is there so why not use it?
It obviously needs some refining.
2015-8-29
Use props
Stealth...
lvl.2

Montenegro

When you ooen the dji app without connection to your P3 this alt. is always 0. When it is connected it shows the real rth alt. So you need the flightlogs to analyse what went wrong.
2015-8-29
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

faubert44 Posted at 2015-8-29 12:32

My conjecture is that so many people are not truly flying line-of-sight. When they lose track of where their bird is, (or a condition that automaticlaly generates RTH ) there's a semi-panic or just general confusion. If your GO app freezes, that just adds to the problems. When you're in a position where you cannot see your bird, you cannot fly it. So....RTH.
2015-8-29
Use props
paullindqvist
lvl.2

Sweden

gquist Posted at 2015-8-29 19:45
I am just learning how to fly this and I find the rth a nice break from flying, Gives the fingers a  ...

Not to be blunt, but it works as it is designed. If you'r not responsible enough to check you battery levels and keep it in line of sight it's on you. As you don't seem to know the set  RTH height, we can only assume you haven't read enough or gone thru every settings and got a understanding how it will affect your flying.

GPS is nice, but it's not fool proof. There a zillion things that can get in the way, as you now experienced.

2015-8-29
Use props
richardmartin
lvl.2

United States

I'm speaking from personal experience here ...

It will be an experience that you won't soon forget, but at least you have it back.  A broken Phantom is better than a lost Phantom!
2015-8-29
Use props
gquist
lvl.1

United States

I agree with all of you here, I messed up and accept it, We can all learn from my mistakes, I think where the return rth went wrong was on the previous flight it was set in meters,
I then turned on the remote and changed it from "Metric" to" Imperial" but did not look at the values in the rth height setting or max height setting,  and then turned on the p3p and waited for warmup, took off and flew a short route over a wooded area, I did lose site of the bird early in the flight because it is so dense and I flew it low,  But after looking at the recording you can see when I hit the rth, it went from 125" right into the brush, I think there is a issue with the go app but that is how it rolls I guess, Ill get it fixed and try again.
2015-8-30
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

lf you pushed RTH and were flying at a higher altitude than your RTH was set, it would not descend to the lower altitude, it would RTH at its current altitude. lf you had it set at a higher altitude than you were flying, it would ascend to the altitude (ALWAYS in metres, not affected by your choice of lmperial) and RTH as long as you have it checked to do so.  lt can also be told to land immediately, maybe check that you didn't have it set to this.

When you hit RTH was the controller beeping? l've seen people think they're in RTH and patiently wait for it to return but they hadn't pushed it twice, so the copter was hovering in place waiting for command. And once the battery hits 15% or whatever you're set at, it will land itself where it is.
2015-8-30
Use props
Sir Edward K
lvl.4

United States

CapitAn Posted at 2015-8-30 05:06
lf you pushed RTH and were flying at a higher altitude than your RTH was set, it would not descend t ...

@CapitAn, I think you nailed it!  It was either set to land on RTH (instead of Return Home) or it was not held long enough for it to engage.  Either case would have TRIED to land it near the place where he lost signal and thought it was returning home.
2015-8-30
Use props
ed.weibe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40056 ft
United States

CapitAn Posted at 2015-8-30 06:06
lf you pushed RTH and were flying at a higher altitude than your RTH was set, it would not descend t ...

amen.  I had one try to land in the river.  I was like..."NOOOOOOO!!!".  LOL   . Had to take control although the descend  was continuing.    In my case, I managed to get it to me but a couple feet shy before it inevitably took a swim.  
2015-8-30
Use props
ed.weibe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 40056 ft
United States

paullindqvist Posted at 2015-8-29 17:26
Not to be blunt, but it works as it is designed. If you'r not responsible enough to check you batt ...

I understand the RTH default, is 30 M  ?  Is this true?
2015-8-30
Use props
gquist
lvl.1

United States

I didn't use the button on the controller but used the ipad screen and did the swipe for return to home, I looked at the sd card and it was hovering and about 150' then when I did the rth it just started to descend until it got into the trees, It did have a gps lock at home before I took off. I lost the signal to the controller at the same time I hit the rth button so not sure what went on. there was plenty of battery left at the time.
2015-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules