Air 2S Obstacle Avoidance
1540 8 2023-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans915ba0ce
lvl.3
United States

My Air 2S has OA top-bottom front-rear, but not sides.  So if it's set to go around obstacles, how does it avoid side collisions?  I can envision it changing heading so it has a better chance of detecting objects, but still seems to be an exposure.  In practice how does it work?  And is it "smart" enough to change altitude if it can't find a path?
2023-7-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, after enabling "Bypass", the aircraft will automatically change and plan a new flight path to bypass the obstacle and detect an obstacle. If the obstacle cannot be bypassed, the aircraft will hover in place. And as you have mentioned, this model does not have a sideway obstacle avoidance function, so there will be more risk of crashing, and by the way, APAS is just an auxiliary function. We don't recommend being dependent on it. It is advised to manually control the aircraft and check the App prompt during the flight. Have a great day ahead.
2023-7-18
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

Air 3s or Air3 will robably have side to side sensors which will be the game changer
2023-7-18
Use props
fans915ba0ce
lvl.3
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 7-18 00:59
Hi, after enabling "Bypass", the aircraft will automatically change and plan a new flight path to bypass the obstacle and detect an obstacle. If the obstacle cannot be bypassed, the aircraft will hover in place. And as you have mentioned, this model does not have a sideway obstacle avoidance function, so there will be more risk of crashing, and by the way, APAS is just an auxiliary function. We don't recommend being dependent on it. It is advised to manually control the aircraft and check the App prompt during the flight. Have a great day ahead.

Thanks for the reply, but you haven't told me anything I don't already know.  When the aircraft plans a path around the obstacle, does it re-orient the heading or just "crab" sideways?  I can see some measure of protection if it changes heading, so that it can sense other obstacles to the side of the original.  And I know, probably the best way to answer my question is to set up an experiment, and watch what maneuver is used.
2023-7-18
Use props
djiuser_21vazN53a4oJ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 542431 ft
Germany

There should be an option to disable sideways flight probably for this excact scenario, if they haven't removed it.
2023-7-18
Use props
fans915ba0ce
lvl.3
United States

djiuser_21vazN53a4oJ Posted at 7-18 05:53
There should be an option to disable sideways flight probably for this excact scenario, if they haven't removed it.

I believe that disables the right control stick horizontal movements, so that one cannot fly the drone sideways.  I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe it works for autonomous flight.
2023-7-18
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fans915ba0ce Posted at 7-18 05:28
Thanks for the reply, but you haven't told me anything I don't already know.  When the aircraft plans a path around the obstacle, does it re-orient the heading or just "crab" sideways?  I can see some measure of protection if it changes heading, so that it can sense other obstacles to the side of the original.  And I know, probably the best way to answer my question is to set up an experiment, and watch what maneuver is used.

Yes. The aircraft will avoid obstacles by flying above, below, or to the left or right depending on the flight environment with the help of APAS 4.0.
2023-7-18
Use props
djiuser_21vazN53a4oJ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 542431 ft
Germany

fans915ba0ce Posted at 7-18 09:35
I believe that disables the right control stick horizontal movements, so that one cannot fly the drone sideways.  I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe it works for autonomous flight.

By the options name one might suggest it disables sideways flight no matter the flight mode. If I remember correctly it did for my Air 2S. If you are skeptical about it, try it in an open field.
2023-7-19
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5173104 ft
United States

I fly at a tree farm frequently and it has to avoid obstacles frequently.  It will use the front sensors when flying forward to turn to the right or left  if flying forward.  If you have sideways flying off, it will just stop.  
2023-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules