DJI V2 Googles connecting to Mavic 3 Pro
2145 9 2023-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Halen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I've searched high and low on how to connect DJI V2 Googles to my Mavice 3 Pro but have not found instructions. Has anyone successfully connected them together, if so would you mind sharing the instructions? Thank you.
2023-7-17
Use props
fansb44427dc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1829121 ft
United States

I have not used them on the Mavic 3 Pro yet, the process is the same for them all. It can be fiddly and make you do kind of the firmware dance. Just plug each item, Mavic, goggles and the Motion Controller (if that is what you plan to use) in turn to the DJI Assistant and up date them all. Then you Pair them all, goggles then controller. You get messages about binding them, agree. You can use the RC and I will attach a YouTube vid going over it. I am not sure if you will need to keep your phone connected to the goggles. There is a remote ID issue DJI has kind of messed up on the latest firmware. I have that issue with the Mini 3 Pro, but again have yet to have the time to test that one issue Remote ID with the Mavic 3 or 3 Pro (have both).
2023-7-17
Use props
Halen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Thank you very much for posting this, I'll give it a try (hopefully it works).
2023-7-17
Use props
fansb44427dc
lvl.4
United States

Do not give up, I was about to virtually toss the goggles through a virtual wall at one point. The explanations in the manual are also "virtually" worthless. Oh, and they were not exactly transparent about Motion  Controller and Motion Controller 2 and Goggles 2. Somebody really has to give them some insight on naming stuff distinctly and then pointing out what does not actually work with what. Great stuff, but it all almost has the same name. At least Apple gives their nearly identically named stuff the obscure AXXXX number to more or less tell it apart. Just think, if you went into a restaurant and had to decide on Steak, Steak Pro , Mini Steak, Mini Steak Pro. Or Steak Max, Steak Plus, Steak Ultra. Really, it could make you a vegan.
2023-7-17
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry I'm not seeing where Goggles V2 is compatible with M3P, did I miss that?
2023-7-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi Halen. Thank you for reaching out. Sorry to inform you that the Goggles V2 is not compatible with the Mavic 3 Pro. However, the Goggles 2 should work with the Mavic 3 series.
2023-7-17
Use props
Dogpilot
lvl.4
United States

DJI Tony, I know you all try very hard at DJI to put out the best information available to you. So I had some slack time today and went to try setting up the Goggles 2, Motion Controller 2 and the Mavic 3 and also the Mavic 3 Pro. Both the Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Pro are menu options in the Goggles 2. I was able to bind to both of them successfully. So yes the Goggles 2 and the Motion Controller 2 work with the Mavic 3 Pro. What is still a very sad implementation is the need to keep your phone connected for remote ID. I had hoped that was isolated to the Mini 3 Pro, alas, not so. You still have to have a jungle vine like length of cables running down the side of your head to hook up to the phone and the battery. Having the battery on the strap, which works quite well and is rather a lot more comfortable than having it on your belt, is pointless if you also have to have your phone in a pocket as well, tethered to the Goggles 2. It would be super if DJI implimentd a firmware update that fixes this by linking to the phone wirelessly or something. It is a bit of a kludge at this point. I would go fly it to test it out, but it is over 33°. So combined with my high altitude setting, 2200 meters makes the flight conditions marginal at best.
2023-7-18
Use props
Dogpilot
lvl.4
United States

I was hoping to include a screenshot, but alas, the goggles do not seem to support that, but...since you have to have your phone tethered 24/7 to the goggles with the latest firmware due to Remote ID. The phone can do a screenshot. So to illustrate that the goggles do indeed support the Mavic 3 Pro, you can see it selected in the menu.

So how do you make it work:
1 Ensure you have the latest firmware (on everything)
2 Turn on the Mavic 3 Pro
3 Turn on the Goggles 2
4 Turn on the Motion Controller 2
5 Press the power button on the Mavic 3 Pro until it makes kind of a beed and the props jump
6 Press the link button between your eyes inside the goggles until they start beeping
7 The two should be no more than a meter apart
8 They connect
9 Press the power button on the Motion Controller 2 and hold until it starts beeping
10 Press and hold the power button on the Mavic 3 Pro until it beeps
11 they stop beeping when linked
12 Hook up a phone to the USB-C port on the Goggles 2, with DJI Fly running

You're set to go. You can bind it to your account and this controller setup and bind it back to whatever controller you normally use by linking the two again and letting them bind.

So kind of a PIA procedure, but less steps than most of my actions in the cockpit of my aircraft, which just to taxi, there are 72 items.

2023-7-18
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Dogpilot Posted at 7-18 15:52
DJI Tony, I know you all try very hard at DJI to put out the best information available to you. So I had some slack time today and went to try setting up the Goggles 2, Motion Controller 2 and the Mavic 3 and also the Mavic 3 Pro. Both the Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Pro are menu options in the Goggles 2. I was able to bind to both of them successfully. So yes the Goggles 2 and the Motion Controller 2 work with the Mavic 3 Pro. What is still a very sad implementation is the need to keep your phone connected for remote ID. I had hoped that was isolated to the Mini 3 Pro, alas, not so. You still have to have a jungle vine like length of cables running down the side of your head to hook up to the phone and the battery. Having the battery on the strap, which works quite well and is rather a lot more comfortable than having it on your belt, is pointless if you also have to have your phone in a pocket as well, tethered to the Goggles 2. It would be super if DJI implimentd a firmware update that fixes this by linking to the phone wirelessly or something. It is a bit of a kludge at this point. I would go fly it to test it out, but it is over 33°. So combined with my high altitude setting, 2200 meters makes the flight conditions marginal at best.

Hi, Dogpilot. Goggles 2 indeed works with the Mavic 3 pro but Halen's concern is about the Goggles V2. Still, I appreciate your help. About the phone, I completely understand the inconvenience however, since the Goggles 2 is not capable of broadcasting its location, the best way to sort that is by using the phone. You can simply disconnect the phone from the goggles once the aircraft has already left the ground. Our latest goggles which is Integra now have an integrated battery on the straps also do not need to be connected to a phone for it to broadcast your location. Thank you for understanding and have a great day ahead.
2023-7-18
Use props
Dogpilot
lvl.4
United States

Thank you for the reply Tony. Of course this kind of circles back to the point I mentioned about DJI seriously needs to come up with a better naming scheme, or at least give them some easy to find product number.

Actually I have an Integra on order, but the lack of diopter adjustment remains to be seen if it will be a problem. The not being able to connect to the phone wirelessly is rather lazy programming. In my aircraft we have had devices connecting to the phone and pad for years doing ADS-B and weather data back and forth. Early on, phones would provide the position data to remote portable boxes to do ADS-B and other traffic position displays. So it has been possible for at least a decade with the current technology in the aviation field doing just this function. Even today, my Garmin G-1000Nxi system broadcasts and accepts bluetooth information, both from my transponder a GTX-345R and via a Garmin 510 network SD card, which does WiFi and bluetooth on an SD Card as an output device. They would have integrated it directly, but the FAA, ever vigilant to keep the latest technology out of aircraft, makes getting anything permanently attached to the airplane very expensive and time consuming to certify. The software on my portable Aero 760 navigator, my backup device. Also talks to my phone and pad and G-1000nxi with bi-directional wireless data. It, a simple $1500 device has far better software on it than the $65K screens in the cockpit. Along with wifi and bluetooth to talk to my phone, pad and fixed avionics in the aircraft. Not only that, both the fixed avionics and the portable will, through your phone if no wifi network exists happily talk to the FAA's flight plan service and file and receive flight plans, wirelessly.

The point is, doing it wireless obviously is not that difficult, been around, working, broadcasting aviation data for 15 years or so with the FAA quite happy it is being done that way. All this happening in a very niche market, aviation does not have a large consumer base like drones and they seem to be able to implement it.
2023-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules