pesky seagulls
805 25 2023-7-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
O0O j0hnny O0O
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2328599 ft
Canada

so these guys moved in on Thursday when I first noticed them and have been harassing all my birds.
Eating all their seed and scaring them away.. They weren't there today so hoping they gone now.
I really don't have the time to run back and forth from work 4 to 5 times per day to check on all my critters..
I will if I have too though!!!

2023-7-23
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6260935 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

They can be as much of a nuisance as pigeons when they settle in an area in numbers.
2023-7-23
Use props
O0O j0hnny O0O
lvl.4
Canada

Blériot53 Posted at 7-23 06:51
They can be as much of a nuisance as pigeons when they settle in an area in numbers.

I look after  a handful of pigeons and doves as well yes.

They are pretty big eaters but I don't have to worry about them preying on all of the other birds.
Seagulls are known to eat other birds and Olivia is not too thrilled about having them on her field.
She had 2 eggs in her nest a week ago but the big storm we had a few days ago, she lost one..

(i waited for her to fly far away before I took this. it's the morning after the huge storm we had. I was worried as shYte. I can see her nest all day from work)
There is 1 left and looks to be ok. If it does hatch, there is not enough time left in the season for it to develop enough to fly south with mom and dad in late September anyway. I will get in touch with the Ministry of Wildlife and the Perth County Humane Society the second I see anything wrong.
I saw her and egg again today and everything seems to be ok..

Thanks Blériot53!!
2023-7-23
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

damn dinosaurs..
2023-7-23
Use props
O0O j0hnny O0O
lvl.4
Canada

yes lmao!!!
Thanks fateofangel !!
2023-7-23
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

O0O j0hnny O0O Posted at 7-23 09:04
I look after  a handful of pigeons and doves as well yes.

[view_image]

From what you say, if the egg hatches the chick would of necessity overwiinter with you if it cannot migrate. Would it survive?
2023-7-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There are over 50 species of gull but Sea is not one of them.
2023-7-23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely filmed Johnny.    Gulls can be a real pain.  I call them trash birds because they will eat anything and then poop all over the place.  I got tired of having to pressure wash my dock so I got an air horn and a flying owl kite.  So far it appears they have moved on from my property.  

Hopefully, the egg will hatch soon.  
2023-7-24
Use props
O0O j0hnny O0O
lvl.4
Canada

Blériot53 Posted at 7-23 22:37
From what you say, if the egg hatches the chick would of necessity overwiinter with you if it cannot migrate. Would it survive?

Pandion Haliaetus eggs take 32 to 43 days of incubation, then another 48 to 59 days to fledge.
So take the bare minimum @ 30 plus 50 = 80 days from today which would take us to Oct. 12thish.
Really pushing it there as Olivia and her mate Oscar will be flying south by this time for sure..
If it hatches, I will contact Perth Humane Society to let them know. I really don't know what happened
to the first four she hatched in early May. They were all there one day and gone the next and they were
not tiny.. You could see them for miles in that nest.. Didn't need a drone.. Wouldn't take the drone near the nest anyway if there are babies in it.. If I was in a position to rescue it if it was abandoned,
you bet your life it would survive.. I've done my research and would make sure it got everything it needed.. We will have to wait until about August 5th to the 10th to see if it hatches.
Have a cpl of weeks to go yet and anything can happen ..
No worries,, I have faith

Thanks Blériot!!

2023-7-24
Use props
O0O j0hnny O0O
lvl.4
Canada

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-24 03:03
Nicely filmed Johnny.    Gulls can be a real pain.  I call them trash birds because they will eat anything and then poop all over the place.  I got tired of having to pressure wash my dock so I got an air horn and a flying owl kite.  So far it appears they have moved on from my property.  

Hopefully, the egg will hatch soon.

yes they called trash birds here and yes they poop everywhere lmao.
Actually if you notice that roof near the end of that video?
Poooop Everywhere wholly ..
They are a pain in the butt and cause a lot of grief but I still Love them
I hope the egg hatches soon as well.. If it does, I will be keeping my eye on it 24/7..
August 5th to 10th..
Thanks DownTown!!!
2023-7-24
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

O0O j0hnny O0O Posted at 7-24 11:44
Pandion Haliaetus eggs take 32 to 43 days of incubation, then another 48 to 59 days to fledge.
So take the bare minimum @ 30 plus 50 = 80 days from today which would take us to Oct. 12thish.
Really pushing it there as Olivia and her mate Oscar will be flying south by this time for sure..

Your passion for this subject is evident
2023-7-24
Use props
O0O j0hnny O0O
lvl.4
Canada

DAFlys Posted at 7-23 23:44
There are over 50 species of gull but Sea is not one of them.

You are absolutely correct yes ..
These are either Herring Gulls, or Ring‐billed Gulls.
I am not a gull expert yet but if had to guess, I'd say Herring Gulls.

Thanks DAFlys !!
2023-7-24
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20561322 ft
United States

That is a lot of gulls hitting one of those would be bad for sure.

I have a similar issue with blue jays where i live, lots and lotS of blue jays here and they are very aggressive toward other birds that frequent my bird feeders as well
2023-7-24
Use props
O0O j0hnny O0O
lvl.4
Canada

Ms Ivy Posted at 7-24 12:59
That is a lot of gulls hitting one of those would be bad for sure.

I have a similar issue with blue jays where i live, lots and lotS of blue jays here and they are very aggressive toward other birds that frequent my bird feeders as well

I have never seen that many in that area ever.
Have no idea what attracted them.
I have seen 1 Blue Jay all summer.. That is it .
Yes they are very aggressive when in packs for sure and probably best that there are none around.
I have at least 10 different species that are living on the property and come to feed regularly..
It's very sweet to see them all get a long and share. No fighting what so ever
They even share with the squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons, ground hogs, and rabbits.
Yes I have quite the zoo @ work lolZ..
Thank You Ms Ivy !!
2023-7-24
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

It is sad how bigger birds can pester and harass smaller ones, and also occasionally people. My friend has been harassed by many of them, he tends to be jumpy when he visits my house and has to walk past a couple of "hotspots". Those gulls also have been pooping around our high-rises front and back yards, my neighbour attempted to scare them away by placing a rubber snake on a table at the back yard but they don't seem to care about it. Luckily, those birds haven't harassed me, but my car tends to get bombed way too often.

I hope the inhabitant of that egg will make it through!
2023-7-24
Use props
O0O j0hnny O0O
lvl.4
Canada

HGDC84 Posted at 7-24 14:28
It is sad how bigger birds can pester and harass smaller ones, and also occasionally people. My friend has been harassed by many of them, he tends to be jumpy when he visits my house and has to walk past a couple of "hotspots". Those gulls also have been pooping around our high-rises front and back yards, my neighbour attempted to scare them away by placing a rubber snake on a table at the back yard but they don't seem to care about it. Luckily, those birds haven't harassed me, but my car tends to get bombed way too often.

I hope the inhabitant of that egg will make it through!

it is very sad yes..
Some very bad crowes ate my Robins 4 babies this year and yeah...
She built her nest on top of our front door window ledge and I helped here every day after work by tucking here and snipping there and yeah...

this the first time i shared these with anyone in a long time..
I got very emotional when the last baby disappeared and Robin moved away that last morning.

lolZ rubber snake ..
I sure hope that egg hatches as well.
I'm sure it will bring much joy to Olivia and Oscar

Thank You HGDC!!
2023-7-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

O0O j0hnny O0O Posted at 7-24 12:33
You are absolutely correct yes ..
These are either Herring Gulls, or Ring‐billed Gulls.
I am not a gull expert yet but if had to guess, I'd say Herring Gulls.

Hard to say from the video,  but the Herring Gulls here are much greyer in colour,  these seem too white.
2023-7-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

O0O j0hnny O0O Posted at 7-24 11:52
yes they called trash birds here and yes they poop everywhere lmao.
Actually if you notice that roof near the end of that video?
Poooop Everywhere wholly ..

Sounds great.  Keep us posted on the egg hatching.  
2023-7-25
Use props
O0O j0hnny O0O
lvl.4
Canada

DAFlys Posted at 7-24 22:56
Hard to say from the video,  but the Herring Gulls here are much greyer in colour,  these seem too white.

If you are in Europe, then yes there is the European Herring Gull.
There is also the American Herring Gull..
Both are identified as Larus Argentatus.
European Herring Gulls lack the long gray tongues on the 6th, 7th, and 8th primaries and solid black markings on the 5th and 6th primaries that are shown by American herring gulls. First-winter European birds have more checkered upperparts, more streaked underparts, and a paler rump and base to the tail.
Ring-billed Gulls are smaller and more daintily built than Herring Gulls. Breeding birds have yellow legs and a black line around the bill, whereas breeding Herring Gulls have pink legs and a red mark on the lower bill.
I will do some further investigating  sometime this week to figure out for sure. Yes it's very hard to tell
from the video, but didn't see any red or markings on their bills.
Thanks DAFlys!!
2023-7-25
Use props
O0O j0hnny O0O
lvl.4
Canada

DowntownRDB Posted at 7-25 10:46
Sounds great.  Keep us posted on the egg hatching.

i promise i will!!!
2023-7-25
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
United States

O0O j0hnny O0O Posted at 7-24 14:17
I have never seen that many in that area ever.
Have no idea what attracted them.
I have seen 1 Blue Jay all summer.. That is it .

we have a few bird our selves I think my favorite one are the humming bird, they kind of me of a dron the way the fly..lol
I look forward to seeing more of your birds
2023-7-25
Use props
O0O j0hnny O0O
lvl.4
Canada

Ms Ivy Posted at 7-25 14:45
we have a few bird our selves I think my favorite one are the humming bird, they kind of me of a dron the way the fly..lol
I look forward to seeing more of your birds

Humming birds we do not have unfortunately.
I was thinking of getting humming bird feeders, but if I do, will put up at the house.
Next season for sure I will put a cpl out at the warehouse.
Not sure how the others would react having them coming around this late in the season.
My barn swallows are pretty aggressive towards new birds. They seem to be getting
along with all the others now, but were bullying the pigeons and black birds at the beginning
of the spring..

Here some pics of some of the birds and a chipmunk that I've taken this year.
I was pretty far away and had to use the zoom and my work phone doesn't take the greatest pics.
My S21 does, but I keep that in my locker.. The pics I took with that were on a weekend or from
when I go back in the evening to check on them.. I plan on setting up a 4K motion detection cam
that I have in the near future as well so will get some better pics and video ..

Thanks Ms Ivy

2023-7-25
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
United States

I love cardinals we have them here too, that next to the last picture kind of looks like a woodcock sitting on the wall
nice captures of birds in nature
2023-7-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

O0O j0hnny O0O Posted at 7-25 14:00
If you are in Europe, then yes there is the European Herring Gull.
There is also the American Herring Gull..
Both are identified as Larus Argentatus.

I think you're going to need a longer lens.
2023-7-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

2023-7-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft