Seems like a missed opportunity to only offer 12MP stills again...
1031 27 2023-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
itsdavesdrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Seems like a missed opportunity to only offer 12MP still images on this Air 3. The Air 2S has 20MP. Obviously there is the 48MP like the previous Air 2 model but this is an artificial 48MP still photo generated from a 12MP image and in my experience it has never been very good and I never use it. Even the old Mavic 2 Pro offered 20MP stills like the Mavic 3. What are your thoughts on this? Such a shame, because the rest of the specs look good. No 5.4k video either though which the Air2S has already. It's like a few steps backwards for a 3x zoom? My prediction is they are wanting to release an Air 3 S model later with 20MP stills and 5.4k-8k video.... it really should be on this model though...

From the DJI compare specs:
Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 10.03.43 am.png

2023-7-25
Use props
Freetime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

It is not a few steps backwardm,forward it is.When more testing comes in the Air 3 slightly smaller sensors will be every bit as
2023-7-25
Use props
Freetime
Second Officer
United States

Freetime Posted at 7-25 18:04
It is not a few steps backwardm,forward it is.When more testing comes in the Air 3 slightly smaller sensors will be every bit as

the Air 2s and probably better.
2023-7-25
Use props
itsdavesdrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Freetime Posted at 7-25 18:05
the Air 2s and probably better.

The sensor is smaller than the Air2S. The still photos are 12mp compared to 20mp on the Air2S. The video is capped at 4k compared to the Air2S 5.4k. How exactly is the Air 3 better? It has a 3 times zoom, and longer flight time. That's about it from what I can see. The next version Air 3S or Air 3 Pro might be a good upgrade but this drone is a bit of a miss if you ask me compared to the last Air2S drone which it is supposed to replace.
2023-7-25
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

"but this is an artificial 48MP still photo generated from a 12MP image"

Actually Its just the opposite a 48mp stacked sensor which downsizes to 12mp to give noise free low light capability. Once you see the comparision photos specially DNG of 20mp vs 12mp you will agree.
You may want to read about the Quad Bayer technology & how it helps in combining the pixels.

2023-7-25
Use props
itsdavesdrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Ranjan Posted at 7-25 19:46

Actually Its just the opposite a 48mp stacked sensor which downsizes to 12mp to give noise free low light capability. Once you see the comparision photos specially DNG of 20mp vs 12mp you will agree.

You don't seem to understand what we are discussing here. It's a native 12MP sensor that uses Quad Bayer technology to create 48MP still images. Nothing is being scaled down. It's the opposite. The 48MP images don't hold any more detail than the 12MP image because they are created from those but can sometimes appear sharper due to the increase in pixels but it is scene dependant. In my experience using this though in other DJI drones, the 48MP images look worse than the 12MP images and this artificial sharpening sometimes caused image issues depending on the scene. On the other hand, the Air2S shoots 20MP still images natively. It is a huge difference when you need images printed at larger scales.
2023-7-25
Use props
Freetime
Second Officer
United States

itsdavesdrone Posted at 7-25 18:16
The sensor is smaller than the Air2S. The still photos are 12mp compared to 20mp on the Air2S. The video is capped at 4k compared to the Air2S 5.4k. How exactly is the Air 3 better? It has a 3 times zoom, and longer flight time. That's about it from what I can see. The Air 3S might be a good upgrade but this drone is a bit of a miss if you ask me compared to the last Air2S drone which it is supposed to replace.

Where is the Air 3 better,where do you want me to start.
2023-7-25
Use props
Freetime
Second Officer
United States

your caught up on the megapixel thing
2023-7-25
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, itsdavesdrone. Thank you for your interest in DJI Air 3! In terms of imaging, the ISP performance and algorithms of DJI Air 3 have been improved, resulting in enhanced overall image quality. We encourage you to personally experience it yourself. DJI Air 3 features dual cameras, both equipped with 1/1.3-inch sensors, supporting capturing at 4k/100fps, 4k/60HDR fps, and 10-bit DLog-M. The dual-camera imaging consistency is high, providing ample post-processing space with low difficulty. Additionally, compared to DJI Air 2S, DJI Air 3 has undergone comprehensive upgrades in terms of battery life, image transmission, and obstacle avoidance, aiming to deliver a more enjoyable flying experience for our users.
2023-7-25
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

itsdavesdrone Posted at 7-25 20:52
You don't seem to understand what we are discussing here. It's a native 12MP sensor that uses Quad Bayer technology to create 48MP still images. Nothing is being scaled down. It's the opposite. The 48MP images don't hold any more detail than the 12MP image because they are created from those but can sometimes appear sharper due to the increase in pixels but it is scene dependant. In my experience using this though in other DJI drones, the 48MP images look worse than the 12MP images and this artificial sharpening sometimes caused image issues depending on the scene. On the other hand, the Air2S shoots 20MP still images natively. It is a huge difference when you need images printed at larger scales.

Sold my Air2s for Mini 3 pro, why? simply because the newer technology offers more even with 12mp images. Great low light capability. MP count is not all you want, final output matters.

Here is one sample shot Mini 3 pro which I could not have pulled so much details from Air2s in spite it having 20mp sensor.

2023-7-25
Use props
manz187
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15866 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 7-25 22:40
Hi, itsdavesdrone. Thank you for your interest in DJI Air 3! In terms of imaging, the ISP performance and algorithms of DJI Air 3 have been improved, resulting in enhanced overall image quality. We encourage you to personally experience it yourself. DJI Air 3 features dual cameras, both equipped with 1/1.3-inch sensors, supporting capturing at 4k/100fps, 4k/60HDR fps, and 10-bit DLog-M. The dual-camera imaging consistency is high, providing ample post-processing space with low difficulty. Additionally, compared to DJI Air 2S, DJI Air 3 has undergone comprehensive upgrades in terms of battery life, image transmission, and obstacle avoidance, aiming to deliver a more enjoyable flying experience for our users.

Hello, can you tell me if one were to want a Final Cut Pro lut for log-m does DJI have them to download ?
2023-7-26
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ranjan Posted at 7-25 19:46

Actually Its just the opposite a 48mp stacked sensor which downsizes to 12mp to give noise free low light capability. Once you see the comparision photos specially DNG of 20mp vs 12mp you will agree.

I fully agree, the "size matters" group is really going to need to get used to these new sensors, as I did. The sensor in the Air3 is in the same conversation as some high-end digital cameras on the market. Onward and upward.
2023-7-26
Use props
Dan Jurak
lvl.2

Canada

DJI Gamora Posted at 7-25 22:40

Please make 48 MP RAWs available so that we can evaluate the quality because until I see them firsthand I refuse to purchase a drone to find out what the quality is like.
2023-7-26
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

Dan Jurak Posted at 7-26 05:06
Please make 48 MP RAWs available so that we can evaluate the quality because until I see them firsthand I refuse to purchase a drone to find out what the quality is like.

Look at this resource post I created with the links to sample files.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=294760
2023-7-26
Use props
rmjeswald
lvl.3
Flight distance : 72011 ft
United States

Ranjan Posted at 7-26 19:12
Look at this resource post I created with the links to sample files.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=294760

Thanks but need to see DNG file comparisons
2023-7-29
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>
United States

The sensor is smaller than the Air2S. The still photos are 12mp compared to 20mp on the Air2S. The video is capped at 4k compared to the Air2S 5.4k. How exactly is the Air 3 better? It has a 3 times zoom, and longer flight time. That's about it from what I can see. The next version Air 3S or Air 3 Pro might be a good upgrade but this drone is a bit of a miss if you ask me compared to the last Air2S drone which it is supposed to replace.

Going to pass on this one. Currently I own the Mini 3 Pro, Air 2S and the Mavic 3 so not much of an advantage for me. For those that don't own the Mavic 3 or Mavic 3 Pro, I can understand the interest in owning the Air 3
2023-7-29
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

rmjeswald Posted at 7-29 03:10
Thanks but need to see DNG file comparisons

I think end result is all anyone needs, unless you like to display dng straight out of the camera photos. Very old 12mp cameras will not match the quality of this new sensor. I think there are some examples on you tube that show a good comparison .
2023-7-29
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

The sensor is smaller than the Air2S. The still photos are 12mp compared to 20mp on the Air2S. The video is capped at 4k compared to the Air2S 5.4k. How exactly is the Air 3 better? It has a 3 times zoom, and longer flight time. That's about it from what I can see. The next version Air 3S or Air 3 Pro might be a good upgrade but this drone is a bit of a miss if you ask me compared to the last Air2S drone which it is supposed to replace.

Also slower Normal speed 26 mph
2023-7-29
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

manz187 Posted at 7-26 01:58
Hello, can you tell me if one were to want a Final Cut Pro lut for log-m does DJI have them to download ?

Hi, manz187. There is currently no LUT file for DJI Air 3 available on the official website. Please stay tuned for updates on our website.
2023-8-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Dan Jurak Posted at 7-26 05:06

Hi, Dan Jurak. We'll take it as a suggestion of yours and we'll forward it to our relevant team. Thank you for your kind understanding and support.
2023-8-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I think it is better to have 12MP and good low light performance than more MP and worse noise etc.
2023-8-25
Use props
Freetime
Second Officer
United States

you are to hungup on the megapixel thing.
2023-8-25
Use props
Johnedwardjames
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Freetime Posted at 8-25 18:29
you are to hungup on the megapixel thing.

Definitely not hung up on the MP thing.  

12mp on the air 3 vs the 20mp on even the mavic pro 2 is night and day.  Having a 12mp sensor is fine for video, better for video in fact. But for the people who are primarily Photographers being sent back to 12mp like my old phantom 3 is horrible!
2023-8-30
Use props
Freetime
Second Officer
United States

Johnedwardjames Posted at 8-30 14:02
Definitely not hung up on the MP thing.  

12mp on the air 3 vs the 20mp on even the mavic pro 2 is night and day.  Having a 12mp sensor is fine for video, better for video in fact. But for the people who are primarily Photographers being sent back to 12mp like my old phantom 3 is horrible!

I can understand that.
2023-8-30
Use props
AlexanderK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2066709 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Freetime Posted at 8-30 21:35
I can understand that.

I really dislike the photo quality the Air 3 is offering. The air2s is miles ahead. Most annoying is the purple fringing around high contrast areas, it super annoying (and no, I will not manually correct every photo I take. a basic profile helps a bit). Feels like mediocre smartphone images. Anyone notice all 'youtubers/reviewers' skimp over the photo section very quick?
2023-8-31
Use props
Johnedwardjames
lvl.1

United Kingdom

AlexanderK Posted at 8-31 02:23
I really dislike the photo quality the Air 3 is offering. The air2s is miles ahead. Most annoying is the purple fringing around high contrast areas, it super annoying (and no, I will not manually correct every photo I take. a basic profile helps a bit). Feels like mediocre smartphone images. Anyone notice all 'youtubers/reviewers' skimp over the photo section very quick?

Agreed, I've not seen anyone mention any negatives, only briefly praising how good the images are.

I'll give it a few more days but I think I may return my Air 3 and just hold out for longer until DJI produce a drone that isn't solely focussed on video.  It's such a shame as I've been so excited for the 70mm lens!
2023-8-31
Use props
AlexanderK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2066709 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Johnedwardjames Posted at 8-31 02:57
Agreed, I've not seen anyone mention any negatives, only briefly praising how good the images are.

I'll give it a few more days but I think I may return my Air 3 and just hold out for longer until DJI produce a drone that isn't solely focussed on video.  It's such a shame as I've been so excited for the 70mm lens!

I wrote a review in Dutch about the Air 3 (google translate will be able to make it somewhat  readable):

https://www.dronewatch.nl/2023/08/08/dji-air-3-review/

My conclusion: Great futureproof drone in EU for film. For photography buy something else. I'll keep my air2s for photos
2023-8-31
Use props
Johnedwardjames
lvl.1

United Kingdom

AlexanderK Posted at 8-31 03:48
I wrote a review in Dutch about the Air 3 (google translate will be able to make it somewhat  readable):

https://www.dronewatch.nl/2023/08/08/dji-air-3-review/

That sounds pretty much spot on. Great for video, sub par for photos sadly.

Thanks for the review!
2023-9-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules