O3, O4, O10 Will we replace our controllers so often?
3119 39 2023-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KnNLmS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 119967 ft
  • >>>
Turkey

Most of your customers have same issue i believe.
We are ok to renew our drones with the new technologies and capabilities like better obstacle avoidence, better battery life, better low noice prop. design, better AI capabilities. But controller is a controller; a screen, two sticks and some buttons. I understand you change the way of communication and trying to make it better. But would you please think to make the communication module replaceable. So instead of replacing the complete controller hardware, we can replace only needed part of it. This will be a huge upgrade and will be environment friendly solution.
2023-7-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. We understand the inconvenience and appreciate your feedback.  We will get this raised to our designated team. Rest assured your words will be heard. In the meantime please check the DJI official website at dji.com for the newest DJI news and updates. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Have a great day ahead.
2023-7-25
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I very much doubt there is the slightest chance of this.
For one thing DJI make money by selling you a controller, they would probably have to charge controller-like prices for each module to make equal amounts of profit. Besides each module change might require a firmware change and if people have several models of drone then I'd bet some will start whinging about the time taken due to the need to reboot the controller to change that firmware, this has already been seen with one of the smart controllers.
I'd also bet that some ham fisted owners would cause damage whilst changing a module and turn around and say it was DJI's fault. I would also suspect that an 'add on' might be susceptible to damage if the controller were dropped.
2023-7-25
Use props
KnNLmS
Second Officer
  • >>>
Turkey

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-25 23:40
I very much doubt there is the slightest chance of this.
For one thing DJI make money by selling you a controller, they would probably have to charge controller-like prices for each module to make equal amounts of profit. Besides each module change might require a firmware change and if people have several models of drone then I'd bet some will start whinging about the time taken due to the need to reboot the controller to change that firmware, this has already been seen with one of the smart controllers.
I'd also bet that some ham fisted owners would cause damage whilst changing a module and turn around and say it was DJI's fault. I would also suspect that an 'add on' might be susceptible to damage if the controller were dropped.

There can be found some good engineer solutions. Controller could be a board and buttons. The antenna signal etc. can be connected with a special interface plug and play. So no need to replace whole device, save the world.
2023-7-25
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

The rc and rc pro is already good with os3. The range I got from my mavic 3 pro was 26,000 feet distance with 4 bars. I had to return home cause I was worried battery wouldn't last to get me home. Could of easily gone over 30,000 feet. No need for os4 or new controller. So dji could have make future drones compatible with the current rc and rc pro. But then they would have to sell drone only and have to lower the price. They make a business decision to make new remote for newer drones. So they can sell their drones with remote for higher price tag. So yeah, expect future drones to be os5, then os6, and so on.
2023-7-25
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KnNLmS Posted at 7-25 23:57
There can be found some good engineer solutions. Controller could be a board and buttons. The antenna signal etc. can be connected with a special interface plug and play. So no need to replace whole device, save the world.

Admirable ethics but if that where DJI's concern then there are a multitude of things that could be made interchangeable e.g batteries, control sticks, chargers etc. etc.
2023-7-26
Use props
KokoFresha
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3843146 ft
Bulgaria

I have no intention of buying a new expensive remote with each subsequent drone. If Mavic 4 is not compatible with PC Pro, I will skip this model.
2023-7-26
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13438648 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Given that the Mavic 3 Pro just launched and I am so sure that the Air 3 was already in the making they should have made arrangements for the RC Pro to work with O4, if not then Dji F***ed their customers again. With the price of the RC Pro which costs so much, it should be compatible with at least a few newer versions of drones. I, like others will not invest in another drone so soon given that we just bought the Mavic 3 Pro with RC Pro bundles and then a few months later the transmission becomes null and old
2023-7-26
Use props
KnNLmS
Second Officer
  • >>>
Turkey

Suren Posted at 7-26 00:25
Given that the Mavic 3 Pro just launched and I am so sure that the Air 3 was already in the making they should have made arrangements for the RC Pro to work with O4, if not then Dji F***ed their customers again. With the price of the RC Pro which costs so much, it should be compatible with at least a few newer versions of drones. I, like others will not invest in another drone so soon given that we just bought the Mavic 3 Pro with RC Pro bundles and then a few months later the transmission becomes null and old

I completely agree, The transmission part of RCs should be upgradeable easily if needed.
2023-7-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Seems they just need to make the Air3 drop back to O3 if paired with an older controller and not take advantage of the new radio frequency band.
2023-7-26
Use props
Mastoras
lvl.4
Flight distance : 558517 ft
  • >>>
United States

I love my RC Pro, and don't even slightly need to look at a new remote. But....they should think about future osync versions and lesson the gut in the punch to people who they may try to force new controllers on them, when their current ones should do the trick. Obviously the RC-N1 and RC will be done, DJI is clearly going to move past them and im sure they will make RC-N2 and RC2 compatible with all the drones, just using backward compatible 03 ocusync. It would be silly the basic model RC-N2 to have 04 ocusync and the RC Pro doesn't. But the corporate side will say, then buy the new RC Pro 2 for that lol. I guess well see soon enough, now that the hoopla of the Air 3 is out they can focus on the rest now.
2023-7-26
Use props
djiuser_9zLaSDx9NQOg
lvl.2

United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 7-26 07:50
Honestly if one has a Mavic 3 Pro, or really any Mavic 3 model, I don't see a need for an Air 3 in the hangar.  A Mavic 3 & a Mini 3 Pro makes more sense as you have the MacDaddy & the MacMini on tap.

The exception being the need for something more than the Mini due to conditions but not wanting to use something as costly as the Mavic. I agree in general but the option to connect a Pro RC should be there where it's not today.
2023-7-26
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13438648 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Honestly if one has a Mavic 3 Pro, or really any Mavic 3 model, I don't see a need for an Air 3 in the hangar.  A Mavic 3 & a Mini 3 Pro makes more sense as you have the MacDaddy & the MacMini on tap.

Agree but it would be good if the Pro could switch transmission given that it was just released
2023-7-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well said.  
2023-7-26
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12425794 ft
  • >>>
United States

My sentiments precisely
2023-7-30
Use props
djiuser_40x8jcRHh1Qn
lvl.1

Canada

DJI Tony Posted at 7-25 23:31
Hi there. We understand the inconvenience and appreciate your feedback.  We will get this raised to our designated team. Rest assured your words will be heard. In the meantime please check the DJI official website at dji.com for the newest DJI news and updates. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Have a great day ahead.

Could you please accelerate the release of the Mini Pro 4? Assuming it's using occusync 4 and is available with the O4 controller. I'm holding back from purchasing to avoid buying previous gen tech.
2023-7-30
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_40x8jcRHh1Qn Posted at 7-30 12:59
Could you please accelerate the release of the Mini Pro 4? Assuming it's using occusync 4 and is available with the O4 controller. I'm holding back from purchasing to avoid buying previous gen tech.

Hello there. Thank you for reaching out. I don't have that capability and we don't have information yet about the Mini 4 Pro. However I can submit your request to our designated team. Keep updated by going to the DJI official website at dji.com. We appreciate your patience and understanding. Have a great day ahead.
2023-7-31
Use props
Markonkof
lvl.2
Flight distance : 273986 ft

United States

Mastoras Posted at 7-26 08:15
I love my RC Pro, and don't even slightly need to look at a new remote. But....they should think about future osync versions and lesson the gut in the punch to people who they may try to force new controllers on them, when their current ones should do the trick. Obviously the RC-N1 and RC will be done, DJI is clearly going to move past them and im sure they will make RC-N2 and RC2 compatible with all the drones, just using backward compatible 03 ocusync. It would be silly the basic model RC-N2 to have 04 ocusync and the RC Pro doesn't. But the corporate side will say, then buy the new RC Pro 2 for that lol. I guess well see soon enough, now that the hoopla of the Air 3 is out they can focus on the rest now.

i am totally agree with you
2023-7-31
Use props
djiuser_9XPxXSMK9RLr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7230000 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 7-26 05:21
Seems they just need to make the Air3 drop back to O3 if paired with an older controller and not take advantage of the new radio frequency band.

I don’t think that will happen. I can’t think of any drones that work on multiple Ocusync versions.
2023-7-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_9XPxXSMK9RLr Posted at 7-31 17:47
I don’t think that will happen. I can’t think of any drones that work on multiple Ocusync versions.

The Air2S did exactly this,  it could do O3 or switch to O2,   from the Spec -

Transmission System
O3
2.4 GHz/5.8 GHz Auto-Switching (compatible with OcuSync 2.0)
4-antenna 2T4R
2023-7-31
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 7-31 23:19
The Air2S did exactly this,  it could do O3 or switch to O2,   from the Spec -

Transmission System

I was about to say the same thing...

I also believe that the fact that the new Air 3 is only compatible with the new radio is not a good thing for DJI.. Time will tell...
2023-8-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Burt37 Posted at 8-1 00:04
I was about to say the same thing... Then I thought maybe it was the radio that does both....

I also believe that the fact that the new Air 3 is only compatible with the new radio is not a good thing for DJI.. Time will tell...

I suspect it's just a launch thing,  when the Mini3 launched it was only supported by the DJI RC and then slowly they added extra support.   For now I would be happy with them updating the DJI RC to the latest fly app as it seems to have been forgotten.
2023-8-1
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 8-1 00:15
I suspect it's just a launch thing,  when the Mini3 launched it was only supported by the DJI RC and then slowly they added extra support.   For now I would be happy with them updating the DJI RC to the latest fly app as it seems to have been forgotten.

I honestly believe DJI made a huge mistake here...

Imagine how many more Air 3 drone they could have sold, if they were compatible with all the current radio.. At the same token they could have still released a new RC Pro at later date and still retain a decent backward compatibility... I thought at DJI they were cleverer than that...
2023-8-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Burt37 Posted at 8-1 00:26

Imagine how many more Air 3 drone they could have sold, if they were compatible with all the current radio.. At the same token they could have still released a new RC Pro at later date and still retain a decent backward compatibility... I thought at DJI they were cleverer than that...

But they never launch a drone only package on day 1,   it always comes later.  
2023-8-1
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

DAFlys Posted at 8-1 00:45
But they never launch a drone only package on day 1,   it always comes later.

What I meant is, sell the drone with dual protocol (like the Air 2S) and any of the existing radio.. Then sell the new radio, to the customer that wants the extra 5 km of range or whatever that is...
2023-8-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Burt37 Posted at 8-1 00:50
What I meant is, sell the drone with dual protocol (like the Air 2S) and any of the existing radio.. Then sell the new radio, to the customer that wants the extra 5 km of range or whatever that is...

Yep that works for me.  
2023-8-1
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Burt37 Posted at 8-1 00:26

DJI is selling every drone they can make right now.  You think there is a way to sell more drones than you can make?

Personally I think the incremental from people that brag about what they would do *if* it were available is marginal at best.  We've been down that road before and I suspect DJI doesn't fall for that any longer; they go by the facts.  Which is, a single-drone kit is at best an afterthought.

My opinion.
2023-8-1
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

The Saint Posted at 8-1 10:33
DJI is selling every drone they can make right now.  You think there is a way to sell more drones than you can make?

Personally I think the incremental from people that brag about what they would do *if* it were available is marginal at best.  We've been down that road before and I suspect DJI doesn't fall for that any longer; they go by the facts.  Which is, a single-drone kit is at best an afterthought.

And I quote:

"DJI is selling every drone they can make right now."

"My opinion."

That would be at best a guess...
2023-8-1
Use props
djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 474537 ft
United States

Guys don't worry about your rc pro not working with the air 3 or future 0s4 drones. Because dji will release a rc pro 2 for $1200 soon. XD. So better start saving.
2023-8-1
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 8-1 14:00
Guys don't worry about your rc pro not working with the air 3 or future 0s4 drones. Because dji will release a rc pro 2 for $1200 soon. XD. So better start saving.

My RC Pro works just fine. Is the Air 3 that doesn't work with it... Every other drone I got works just fine with my RC Pro...

And if it is my nearly new radio the problem, why on earth would I even consider buying another one??

Remember, every coin has two sides...
2023-8-1
Use props
Markonkof
lvl.2

United States

Suren Posted at 7-26 00:25

100% agree with you
2023-8-1
Use props
Markonkof
lvl.2

United States

djiuser_zKR5HFX3a2EC Posted at 8-1 14:00

then it will not be working with the Mavic 3 Pro considering it " OLD " drone but in the real life it is 2 month older than the Air 3 !!!!
2023-8-1
Use props
Mastoras
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

04 Ocusync existed when Mavic 3 Pro came out...cough....scratches head
2023-8-1
Use props
KnNLmS
Second Officer
  • >>>
Turkey

The way of DJI follows so strange. Normally the highest technology should always be in the flagship drone. So if you have improved the ocusync technology, you should release mavic 4 before the air 3. But instead of this they released mavic 3 pro with old technology and released air 3 after 2 months.

What a big strategy error for DJI...

Customers melting down very fast. No One wants to spend money that much fast and without reliability.
2023-8-2
Use props
Markonkof
lvl.2

United States

KnNLmS Posted at 8-2 01:54
The way of DJI follows so strange. Normally the highest technology should always be in the flagship drone. So if you have improved the ocusync technology, you should release mavic 4 before the air 3. But instead of this they released mavic 3 pro with old technology and released air 3 after 2 months.

What a big strategy error for DJI...

I agree with you completely. When we buy a new technology product, such as a phone, we know that a new model will be released within a year. That means that if we buy the product in October, we can expect to have the latest technology for at least 11 months.

The same is true for drones. It usually takes 1-2 years for a new technology to become mainstream, and by then, your drone will be considered outdated. However, DJI did something different with the Mavic 3 Pro. They released it as their most expensive drone, and it featured all of the latest technology. But then, just two months later, they released a mid-size drone that they claimed had even newer technology. This made everyone who had just bought the Mavic 3 Pro feel frustrated, as their drone was now considered outdated.

The same thing happened with the Mavic 3. It was released as a high-end drone, but DJI stopped producing it shortly after. This left many people who had just bought the drone feeling disappointed.

It is frustrating when a company releases new technology so quickly that it makes your recently purchased product outdated. This is especially true for high-end products, such as drones. I hope that DJI will be more considerate of its customers in the future.
2023-8-2
Use props
Mastoras
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Just expect the Air series will continue to be the pioneer to start the next level of tech each time. They did it with Air 2 and did it again with Air 3....so the 05 Ocusync....guess which drone will get it first...that is right...Air 4.
2023-8-2
Use props
wsteeleNYC
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_9XPxXSMK9RLr Posted at 7-31 17:47
I don’t think that will happen. I can’t think of any drones that work on multiple Ocusync versions.

Have there been any controllers that had backwards compatiblity with older drones, i.e. occusync 3.0 controller that supported occusync 2.0 drones?
2023-12-11
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Australia

wsteeleNYC Posted at 12-11 14:50
Have there been any controllers that had backwards compatiblity with older drones, i.e. occusync 3.0 controller that supported occusync 2.0 drones?

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 707&pid=3097604
2023-12-11
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

My RC Pro came with my Air 2S FMC during the Great Smart Controller shortage of the winter of '21. If the Air 3 had been compatible with it I would have bought one. Since it didn't, I bought a second hand Mavic 3 Classic!!! GREAT drone. FYI, the RC Pro is physically and electronically capable of O4. It only needs a firmware update.
2023-12-11
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12425794 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’m glad that I purchased the Air 3 instead of the Mavic 3 Pro because I already own the Mavic 3.
2023-12-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules