1464 57 2023-7-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Venture
lvl.3

United States

Can you help me please?

. . . finding a Mini 2.
Last GPS before controller signal lost, reported it over steep rocky terrain, heading toward nearby grassy meadow.

I've read dozens of posts and articles about Autoland, Failsafe-RTH, and Retracing (and its synonyms),
but, still have vital unanswered questions about the Mini2's Hard-Coded Priorities and actions.

When controller signal was lost behind a ridge,
Mini2 last reported back in Autoland mode with 11% battery & 40% signal,
moving 21mph forward in "normal" mode at full throttle
(and zero elevator / vertical stick).

Q1: When Autoland is triggered by low battery,
Can anything in firmware (specifically Failsafe RTH or Retrace) ever override Autoland
at 11% Battery or less ? If so, please explain how you know.

If either Failsafe-RTH or Retrace kicks in, it dramatically broadens the locations to search
from a 1-dimensional Linear path of about 100 meters -
to a wide 2-dimensional Area of about 5 hectares (a dozen acres)  in remote, steep, rocky, brushy, fox-tail infested hillside.

(Subtle complexity: If Retrace is linear, it is a smaller area to search than if Retrace follows this flight's preceding curved path.)

* DJI Software programmers would know these answers.
Highly unlikely for us to experience this in controlled circumstances.

Q2: Has anyone ever measured, as in "Measured" (not calculated)
the GPS distance the Mini2 travels at ~21mph --
after controller signal was lost during Autoland ?

Such data cannot be in controller flight logs because signal was lost.

Because of this terrain, 50 feet makes a huge difference in this retrieval.

* DJI Quality Control Pilots would know this, and while unlikely some of us
other pilots might have tested it.

Thank you for your assistance.

GEarth Last telemetry. Mini2 flying from Right to left descending. White trace=RTH direction

GEarth Last telemetry. Mini2 flying from Right  to left descending. White trace=RTH direction
2023-7-27
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Venture. I will get this issue referred to our relevant team. I will get back to you soon with an answer. I appreciate your patience and understanding.
2023-7-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Can anything in firmware (specifically Failsafe RTH or Retrace) ever override Autoland at 11% Battery or less ?
No ... if the drone is still in the air when the battery reaches critical low voltage, it's game over and the drone will want to land as a last ditch safety measure to prevent it falling from the air when the battery runs out.

Q2: Has anyone ever measured, as in "Measured" (not calculated)the GPS distance the Mini2 travels at ~21mph -- after controller signal was lost during Autoland ?
If it's already in critical low battery autolanding, it's not going to go anywhere but straight down.

2023-7-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Same flight ?
https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... ailsafe-rth.139097/
2023-7-28
Use props
Venture
lvl.3

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-28 01:20
Same flight ?
https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... ailsafe-rth.139097/

Yes. Good catch.
Please note: Some of  the flight info has been updated since I posted that.  
This post has the best known information.
2023-7-28
Use props
Venture
lvl.3

United States

Labroides Posted at 7-28 00:33
Can anything in firmware (specifically Failsafe RTH or Retrace) ever override Autoland at 11% Battery or less ?
No ... if the drone is still in the air when the battery reaches critical low voltage, it's game over and the drone will want to land as a last ditch safety measure to prevent it falling from the air when the abttery runs out.

Venture: While I appreciate you trying to help with your guess, I'm looking for actual evidence.
Unfortunately your guess is contradicted by the flight path you can see in the image provided:

Labroides "No ... if the drone is still in the air when the battery reaches critical low voltage, it's game over and the drone will want to land as a last ditch safety measure to prevent it falling from the air when the abttery runs out."

Venture: Question 2: Has anyone ever measured, as in "Measured" (not calculated)the GPS distance the Mini2 travels at ~21mph -- after controller signal was lost during Autoland ?

Labroides "If it's already in critical low battery autolanding, it's not going to go anywhere but straight down."

Venture: When the battery reached critical low voltage, the Mini 2 turned on Autoland and descended in Autoland for some 30 seconds - yet kept moving at 21 mph for at least 775 horizontal feet (the Yellow Flight  Path) - including its last connected moment when it lost controller signal (the last vertical bar in  flight path).

Additionally, if the Mini 2 had stopped instantly and only descended as you suggest, it would have been found at the last GPS signal point. It is not found within 20 feet of that GPS point; clearly not "straight down."

So "AutoLand" does not always mean Straight down. Which is why I posted this to start with.

All this means the Mini 2 kept moving forward (21 mph?) for some moments after the last telemetry report.
That raises the questions:
Did  it keep moving in a straight line at 21 mph for 3 seconds, for 11 seconds or something else? or
Did it begin Failsafe-Return to Home at some moment - 3 seconds, for 11 seconds etc. ?
Did it begin Retrace at some moment - 3 seconds, for 11 seconds etc. ?

Instead I boiled it down to the original questions I posed - to get us closer to finding
what was controlling the Mini 2 after signal was lost, and how it was controlled.

Earth depiction of Last telemetry. Mini2 flying from Right to left descending. White trace=RTH

Earth depiction of Last telemetry. Mini2 flying from Right  to left descending. White trace=RTH
2023-7-28
Use props
Venture
lvl.3

United States

DJI Tony Posted at 7-27 22:53
Hi, Venture. I will get this issue referred to our relevant team. I will get back to you soon with an answer. I appreciate your patience and understanding.

Thank you Tony.
2023-7-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Venture Posted at 7-28 08:58
Venture: While I appreciate you trying to help with your guess, I'm looking for actual evidence.
Unfortunately your guess is contradicted by the flight path you can see in the image provided:

While I appreciate you trying to help with your guess, I'm looking for actual evidence.

I wasn't guessing.
I told you what DJI drones do.
If you think yours acted differently, how about posting the actual flight data rather than some unexplained and non-understandable graphic.?
2023-7-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

1 thing to note, the Mini 2 will not brake straight away, it will keep going for about 10 seconds when disconnected, (unlike the Mini 3 Pro at only 3 seconds max) as it will see if the signal returns during that time, if not, then it will brake/stop and the On Disconnect settings will kick in. So, if you had the right stick at 100%, it will keep travelling forward at full N speed for those 10 seconds (there are other external factors that could make it brake though).

The flightlog would be beneficial for the correct assessment.
2023-7-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 7-28 21:24
1 thing to note, the Mini 2 will not brake straight away, it will keep going for about 10 seconds when disconnected, (unlike the Mini 3 Pro at only 3 seconds max) as it will see if the signal returns during that time, if not, then it will brake/stop and the On Disconnect settings will kick in. So, if you had the right stick at 100%, it will keep travelling forward at full N speed for those 10 seconds (there are other external factors that could make it brake though).

Sorry Bashy but have a look at post#5 and the more relevant post#8 in https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... ailsafe-rth.139097/
2023-7-28
Use props
Venture
lvl.3

United States

Labroides Posted at 7-28 16:14
While I appreciate you trying to help with your guess, I'm looking for actual evidence.
I wasn't guessing.

Sorry, with all due respect, evidence is where you provide some citation to a credible source,
like the Mini 2 source-code (why I suggested only the Mini2 software programmers would know),
or maybe an experiment where similar conditions were tested or observed (why I suggested only the DJI Quality Assurance Pilots might have experience).

All you provided was your bald overbroad opinion of what "DJI drones do."
While this may be correct, you failed to explain how you "know."
No citation whatsoever, as so many others provide on this forum.
Not even acknowledgement that not all "DJI drones" use identical firmware priorities and source-code as Bashy indicated.

It seems you also missed my paragraph carefully stating that this Mini 2, on this flight,
directly contradicted your overbroad opinion/conjecture
by flying at 21 mph for some 30 seconds AFTER AutoLand was triggered --

"the Mini 2 turned on Autoland and descended in Autoland for some 30 seconds - yet kept moving at 21 mph for at least 775 horizontal feet - including its last connected moment when it lost controller signal."

You requested the flight log. I think I'll wait to furnish it to those who have carefully read what I spent time carefully preparing, and have the requisite expertise with the stated problem; as opposed to those who jump to overbroad, superficial conclusions which ignore and contradict the stated problem.

2023-7-28
Use props
Venture
lvl.3

United States

Bashy Posted at 7-28 21:24

Now that's darned helpful Bashy: on-point and perfectly useful.
Thank you  !
PS Can you please point me to a reference for this?
2023-7-28
Use props
Venture
lvl.3

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-28 21:52
Sorry Bashy but have a look at post#5 and the more relevant post#8 in https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... ailsafe-rth.139097/

Thank you Sean-bumble-bee,
While I am humbled and appreciative that Yorkshire_Pud conducted such  a grand experiment to help with this problem, and it was useful and helpful.
However, all three tests were missing a key condition. None were done with AutoLand on.  

Which is why my Question 1 is - Can Failsafe-RTH or Retrace ever override AutoLand when control signal is lost (at 11% battery) ?

The useful part is how he indicates what he experienced after disconnect, compared to as much as 30 m travel before coming to a stop.
2023-7-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Venture Posted at 7-28 23:03
Sorry, with all due respect, evidence is where you provide some citation to a credible source,
like the Mini 2 source-code (why I suggested only the Mini2 software programmers would know),
or maybe an experiment where similar conditions were tested or observed (why I suggested only the DJI Quality Assurance Pilots might have experience).

You requested the flight log. I think I'll wait to furnish it to those  who have carefully read what I spent time carefully preparing, and have  the requisite expertise with the stated problem; as opposed to those who  jump to overbroad, superficial conclusions which ignore and contradict  the stated problem.

Yes, I did, because that's always the first step when looking into any flight incident.
I can't work out what you think happened or get a clue about what actually happened from your ranting diatribe.
But you've said enough for me to work out a few things.
1.  You don't know much about drones
2.  You are unnecessarily argumentative, just plain ignorant and don't really want help
On that basis, I'm out of here.

2023-7-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Venture Posted at 7-28 23:03

"by flying at 21 mph for some 30 seconds AFTER AutoLand was triggered "
With respect to the mini 2, the above comment appears to demonstrate that you misunderstand the control that the pilot has during the various phases of low battery response.
Phase 1) Low battery RTH, which you cancelled " with RTH cancelled at 25%" (from the Mavicpilots thread )" and is not part of the subject matter of this thread.

Phase 2) Which is of concern in the thread. This is a 'forced' descent phase.
Like "low battery RTH" this starts at variable battery percentages. UNLIKE low battery RTH "phase 2" is INDEPENDANT of distance from the home point, the percentage depends SOLELY on the drone's barometer-deduced height and is intended to get the drone on the ground before the battery becomes exhausted and, from memory, with battery charge to spare. It is also completely independant of AGL since, in this respect, the drone knows nothing of its AGL.
I think you misunderstand this phase.You have FULL control during the initial stages of this phase and are able to fly the drone horizontally at up to full speed. You can in fact even force a climb.  This explains why you were able to fly at 21mph during the intial part of "phase 2".
However, as the battery charge gets lower and closer to the "phase 3", it is likely that you will be given warnings that amount to "there is not enough power left in the battery to reach or sustain the commanded speeds" and the achievable speed will be reduced. These reduced speed-limits apply to the drone's ability to fight wind as well. From memory these speed reduction behaviours have been documented in several lost-drone flight logs on here and or mavicpilots.
Inability to fight wind may be a factor in your flight's descent.

Phase 3) The critical battery phase.
The threshold for this is fixed, I do not remember what that threshold is but when within this phase the notable feature is greatly reduced horizontal speeds which diminish as the battery drains. Again this affects the drone's ability to fight wind.
I have, from memory, been able to hold drones, including a mini 2, up in the air during this phase but it requires near full throttle and I have only done this when the drone was low, under 3 or 4 ft, and over the chosen landing spot.
In addition the drone can reject the landing site. This means that, without pilot input, it will hover until the battery is 'exhausted'. If this happened to your drone and the drone's flight path was unobstructed by shrubbery & terrain it could have been blown downwind whilst hovering. I tested "rejected landing site" behaviour during my early ownership of a Mini 2 but not in wind.

Phase 4) 0% and below.
I have read of people keeping their drone in the air 'below' 0% battery and possibly saving their drone whilst doing that, by getting the drone over a safe landing place, but it is a while since I read any such thread or perhaps watched a suitable youtube and I do not remember the drones concerned. However it is my recollection that, at 0%, a mini 2 will descend irrespective of the amount of throttle and I suspect it will 'ignore' elevator and alieron inputs. At the heights I have performed such experiments I would have very little time to judge whether there was even minimal horizontal control and, given that my landing sites are often in confined spaces, I would have no inclination to try horizontal movements.
If, for whatever reason, the drone ended up high enough at 0% there is the possibility that the battery will 'run out of power' before it gets to ground level and the motors will stop with the drone in mid air. I do not recollect anyone being caught out like that with a mini 2 but it has happened with other DJI drones.
To be honest I don't understand DJI's reasoning for this, to my mind it would be better to ruin the battery but save the drone rather than possibly save the battery but probably destroy the drone in the sudden stop at the end of a free fall.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I understand your questioning if automated behaviours would start during "Phase 2" and in fact automated behaviours can and do start after disconnection, yes I know that that is not "phase 2". If the failsafe behaviour is set to hover and connection is not re-established, I can confirm that a low battery RTH will eventually start after disconnection. BUT I suspect that, since you cancelled the intial low battery RTH, a second low battery RTH will not be initated after disconnection unless, perhaps, your 21mph etc. managed to get the drone 'ahead' of the trigger threshold for the then distance and yes, I realise you were not asking about that particular behaviour.
Whether or not Failsafe RTH, if set, will be activated during "phase 2" I do not know.
But even if the failsafe RTH does start, it is first going to burn off 11 seconds of battery power in the delay period and then more battery in the "retrace".
Yorkshire_pud's "shimmies" of post#8 open the possibility that the "retrace" may three dimensional, if it is in 3D then not only would the drone be, at a guess, flying away from the home point but it will also be climbing. Both aspects would drain the battery still further and bring the drone closer to speed restrictions and "phase 3".

Aside from movements stemming from any automated behaviours that may or may not have started, there is your comment "Battery draining abnormally fast" on the mavicpilots thread.
That comment suggests that the drone was fighting a head wind and a significant head wind at that. Consequently and with respect to position, any such wind may have become a significant factor during the descent of your drone.
We can not even guess this because, since you will not post the log, we can not work out how far the drone had to descend, nor can the wind the drone was encountering be estimated.

I think your not posting the log, for the reason you give, is rather self defeating. There are people on here and MavicPilots that can work wonders with landing predictions providing you give them the material to work with, you shoot yoursef in the feet by not doing so.

I very much doubt normal users on either forum have the information you seek and there are 'clued up' members on both forums.

If you seek information from DJI i.e. the "horse's mouth" then I suggest you PM one of the mods, point them at this thread and ask them to pass your questions "up the chain".
However best of luck with any search.
Given that the Mavic pilots thread was started on 11th of July what has the weather been like since then?

2023-7-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-28 21:52

AH ok, thank you, perhaps i misunderstood that part, i know theres a10s delay as opposed to about 3s with the Mini 3 Pro (i hate that).

One think to point out though, their tests were shutting off the RC, that would most certainly initiate braking, but, in a none test scenario, one would be flying and the video would more than likely go 1st, if you still have the throttle open, the drone would keep going until you let up or the actual radio signal drops, thats probably where i got my misunderstanding from, the 3s / 10s delay is only for the RTH to kick in.
2023-7-29
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 7-29 23:19
AH ok, thank you, perhaps i misunderstood that part, i know theres a10s delay as opposed to about 3s with the Mini 3 Pro (i hate that).

One think to point out though, their tests were shutting off the RC, that would most certainly initiate braking, but, in a none test scenario, one would be flying and the video would more than likely go 1st, if you still have the throttle open, the drone would keep going until you let up or the actual radio signal drops, thats probably where i got my misunderstanding from, the 3s / 10s delay is only for the RTH to kick in.

"..... but, in a non-test scenario, one would be flying and the video would more than likely go 1st, if you still have the throttle open, the drone would keep going until you let up or the actual radio signal drops, ...."

Quite true I think. I saw something like that with a Mavic Mini flown out to signal loss. The drone flew through one video drop out, regained video further out and, from memory, still at the same speed. It went to full disconnection soon after that, all over the sea so it would have gone swimming if something had gone wrong.
I have not done such a test with the mini 2, I suspect my 'range' bottle would run out before the signal did lol.
BTW the delay is 11seconds, I do wish DJI would settle on a standardised delay period.
2023-7-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-29 23:54
"..... but, in a non-test scenario, one would be flying and the video would more than likely go 1st, if you still have the throttle open, the drone would keep going until you let up or the actual radio signal drops, ...."

Quite true I think. I saw something like that with a Mavic Mini flown out to signal loss. The drone flew through one video drop out, regained video further out and, from memory, still at the same speed. It went to full disconnection soon after that, all over the sea so it would have gone swimming if something had gone wrong.

I knew it was around the 10 by my count, why 11 though, thats just odd lol and yeah, it should be the same thought-out at least the consumer drones, the 3s is just downright crazy, there's no times to adjust the rc to get better alignment cause by the time the screen drops out, it can be already on its way back due to delay, its happened to me on the range test, i had to give up one time as it just wasted battery coming back, it was only a few meters by the time the screen came back but its enough to waste what little there is anyway, it needs to be at least 10s, heck, with the Mini 3 Pro, you only need to stop or drastically reduce the pitch and the signal can come back. just crazy...
2023-7-30
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Venture. I hope you're getting good recommendations from your fellow DJI pilots. If you're unable to retrieve the drone, we suggest submitting a Flyaway case and requesting a data analysis. You can submit a Flyaway case here: https://www.dji.com/global/support. Have a great day ahead.
2023-7-30
Use props
Venture
lvl.3

United States

DJI Tony Posted at 7-30 20:57
Hi, Venture. I hope you're getting good recommendations from your fellow DJI pilots. If you're unable to retrieve the drone, we suggest submitting a Flyaway case and requesting a data analysis. You can submit a Flyaway case here: https://www.dji.com/global/support. Have a great day ahead.

Thank you for following up Tony and for the flyaway link.

Loads of helpful folks here, some have excellent experience and have
added to related knowledge.

As kind, experienced and encouraging as most people here are,
so far no one here has been able to answer my fairly simple questions.

However, I thought I was waiting for you to get my request to
DJI's Firmware programming team and DJI's Quality Control Pilots
as you indicated in Item #2.

Cheers
David  
2023-7-30
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Venture Posted at 7-30 22:23

Hi, Venture. Thank you for patiently waiting. For the F-RTH, the aircraft will fly backward for 50 m on its original flight route and ascend to the preset RTH altitude to enter Straight Line RTH. After the signal is restored, it will be a Straight line RTH, you can cancel it and retract it. If the signal is not restored, it will land and you can't override it.
When Low Battery RTH is triggered, the aircraft will calculate the estimated battery level required for the aircraft to return to the RTH point. DJI Fly displays a warning when the battery level reaches the value. Please take note of this warning.
After the warning, you can cancel RTH and choose not to return home. This warning will not appear again while in flight.
If a critical low battery warning is triggered, the drone will autoland, and you cannot cancel it. Have a great day ahead.
2023-7-31
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Venture Posted at 7-30 22:23

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D556%26typeid%3D556

might interest you but then again, since it does not precisely match your flight conditions, it might not.

I can't foresee DJI's engineers accepting this as a fly away. Of course they may get the actual logs but, with what you have shown here, it's look like pilot error in my book. I suspect the drone encountered significant wind on the attempted journey home and that as a consequence you pushed the battery too far and 'paid the price'.

2023-7-31
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In near windless conditiions, faisafe set the hover and disconnecting at 22.1 mph, the drone ended up 71ft from the disconnection point at reconnection, 24 seconds later.
2023-8-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-31 07:52
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D556%26typeid%3D556

might interest you but then again, since it does not precisely match your flight conditions, it might not.

If he has care refresh and bound etc, then i don't think it matters too much as to how the flyaway occurred. If its not covered for flyaway then yeah, pilot error is not covered under warranty, but, stranger things have happened on here, always punt
2023-8-1
Use props
Venture
lvl.3

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-1 18:12
In near windless conditiions, faisafe set the hover and disconnecting at 22.1 mph, the drone ended up 71ft from the disconnection point at reconnection, 24 seconds later.

Now THAT's Dead-on-point Helpful !
Thank you Sean-bumble-bee !!!
(Reading your data it looks like the distance for different tests ranged from as much as ~88 feet to as low as 43 feet. Still its helpful to get us in the "ballpark.")

2023-8-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I still don't think it is going to help you greatly,.
I suspect wind drift is going to be a factor during the descent dependant on the drone's AGL and possibly an appreciable one. In addition if the drone rejected the landing site it will hover to 0% and again be blown in the wind ..... unless it was blown into something.
2023-8-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 8-1 18:22
If he has care refresh and bound etc, then i don't think it matters too much as to how the flyaway occurred. If its not covered for flyaway then yeah, pilot error is not covered under warranty, but, stranger things have happened on here, always punt

I have the recollection that some Brit ...... pilot? sent the a Mini 2 up in one of our storms and recorded ridiculous speed. From memory I think he lost the drone but I seem to remember that they said the drone was being replaced or it may have mixed two stories up, but the relevant bit is the supposed replacement, so I suppose there could be a chance here.
2023-8-4
Use props
Venture
lvl.3

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-29 02:28
With respect to the mini 2, the above comment appears to demonstrate that you misunderstand the control that the pilot has during the various phases of low battery response.
Phase 1) Low battery RTH, which you cancelled " with RTH cancelled at 25%" (from the Mavicpilots thread )" and is not part of the subject matter of this thread.

1. Amazingly good explanation of the 4 phases of Autoland. Thank you Sean-bumble-bee.
When DJI chimes in with a few missing trigger numeric details, DJI should use your explanation in their manual.

2. Thank you for suggesting PMing a Moderator to get my answers.
I believe Tony has voluntarily taken up that baton, thank you both.

3. I've recently learned wind was at most a small factor for this flight.
Unusual battery burn was due to me flying back at full speed in Sport mode
(I flew it uphill in Normal mode) which reduced distance able to fly, from 20-25% according to the logs.

4. Mini2 was 100 feet above and 100 feet short of a grassy hill when signal was lost; it was 200 feet (not rounding those numbers off more than a foot, really) above the steep terrain, and 675 feet above Home.

5. I really appreciate you and Bashy and Yorkshire_pud's 's helpful civil, respectful comments and willingness to learn from each other. Reminds me (favorably) of early computer user group days.

// ----------------------------

SBB Observation 1:

Response 1: I use throttle, steering and up-elevator often during my occasional low and critical low-battery landings, and have reviewed numerous reports and youtubes about its various phases to know its use well enough to hand-land at zero percent after a six-mile flight.
But there are some DJI programming Priority overrides and trigger levels I do not yet understand - that apparently only DJI Firmware programmers can clear up.

What I might not have made clear is that the 21mph was almost certainly due to my using full-throttle in Sport mode (just seconds earlier at 25-30mph) and keeping full-throttle on full-time after Autoland triggered until signal loss. That automatic mode switch from Sport to Autoland reduced its speed to ~21 mph.  

SBB Observation 2:
Phase 2) This is a 'forced' descent phase.
Like "low battery RTH" this starts at variable battery percentages. UNLIKE low battery RTH "phase 2" is INDEPENDENT of distance from the home point, it depends SOLELY on the drone's barometer-deduced height and is intended to get the drone on the ground before the battery becomes exhausted and, from memory, with battery charge to spare. It is also completely independent of AGL since, in this respect, the drone knows nothing of its AGL.

Response : Ok, so it turns out to be vital to know what that variable battery percentage number is.
DJI Are you listening?
PS did you really mean this 'forced' descent phase 2 is triggered purely by the Barometer?

SBB Observation 3: I think you misunderstand this phase, you have FULL control during the initial stages of this phase and are able to fly the drone horizontally at up to full speed. You can in fact force a climb. I recollect, during the landing phase of a low battery RTH, with the drone near the ground and, as an experiment, forcing the drone to climb, fly over my house and then, via releasing the sticks, land on the other side of the house. This explains why you were able to fly at 21mph during the intial part of "phase 2".

Response : Actually I was not only aware of control here, I was using it here, at full throttle and turning, trying to get it to a nearby grassy meadow. Wasn't sure it was full control, as it was going slower (21 mph instead of Sport mode's 25-30+).

SBB: However, as the battery charge gets lower and closer to the "phase 3", it is likely that you will be given warnings that amount to "there is not enough power left in the battery to reach or sustain the commanded speeds" and the achievable speed will be reduced. These reduced speed-limits apply to the drone's ability to fight wind as well. From memory these behaviours have been documented in several lost-drone flight logs on here and or mavicpilots.

Response : I'll try to find some of those posts. Thanks.

SBB: Inability to fight wind may be a factor in your flight's descent.

Response : As noted above, the max "gusts" it was enduring were only about 7mph. Pretty minor compared to losing 20-25% of distance because I was trying to fly too fast using Sport mode.

SBB: Phase 3) The critical battery phase.
The threshold for this is fixed, I do not remember what that threshold is but when within this phase the notable feature is greatly reduced horizontal speeds which diminish as the battery drains. Again this affects the drone's ability to fight wind.

Response : So knowing the Firmware critical battery phase threshold is rather vital.
DJI - Why isn't it published in the manual?

SBB: In addition the drone can reject the landing site. This means that, without pilot input, it will hover until the battery is 'exhausted'. If this happened to your drone and the drone's flight path was unobstructed by shrubbery & terrain it could have been blown downwind. I tested "rejected landing site" behaviour during my early ownership of a Mini 2.

Response : Love to learn what you discovered in your testing of Landing Site rejection.
Did it ever make sideways moves or turns, or back up? What kinds  of places does it reject - soft, brushy, rocky, steep?

SBB: Phase 4) 0% and below.
I have read of people keeping their drone in the air 'below' 0% battery and possibly saving their drone whilst doing that, by getting the drone over a safe landing place, but it is a while since I read any such thread or perhaps watched a suitable youtube and I do not remember the drones concerned. However it is my recollection that, at 0%, a mini 2 will descend irrespective of the amount of throttle and that it will ignore elevator and alieron inputs. At the heights I have performed such experiments I would have very little time to judge whether there was even minimal horizontal control and, given that my landing sites are often in confined spaces, I would have no inclination to try horizontal movements.

Response : I've read a few amazing reports as well.
One fellow claimed  he flew 2,000 feet (600m) After his batteries reached Zero !

If I'd known about that and tested it previously - I might have had better fortune trying to fly all the way back home, rather than landing early in a grassy hill top - that turned out to be blocked from controller signal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SBB I understand your questioning if automated behaviours would start during "Phase 2" and in fact automated behaviours can and do start after disconnection, yes I know that that is not "phase 2".

I can confirm that a low battery RTH will start after disconnection if the failsafe behaviour is set to hover and connection is not re-established BUT I suspect that, since you cancelled the intial low battery RTH, a second low battery RTH will not be initated after disconnection unless, perhaps, your 21mph etc. managed to get the drone 'ahead' of the trigger threshold for the then distance.

Whether or not Failsafe RTH, if set, will be activated during "phase 2" I do not know.

But even if the failsafe RTH does start, it is first going to burn off 11 seconds of battery power in the delay period and then more battery in the "retrace". Yorkshire_pud's "shimmies" of post#8 open the possibility that the "retrace" may three dimensional, if it is in 3D then not only would the drone be, at a guess, flying away from the home point but it will also be climbing. Both aspects would drain the battery still further and bring the drone closer to speed restrictions and "phase 3".

A: So Failsafe RTH cannot trigger for 11 seconds after signal loss?
That's useful and helpful.
I'm back to my original question - wondering if,
since it was already deep in AutoLand mode at 11% battery,
will Failsafe RTH trigger at all due to the critically low battery?
or does AutoLand keep Total Control?

SBB: Aside from movements stemming from any automated behaviours that may or may not have started, there is your comment "Battery draining abnormally fast" on the mavicpilots thread. That comment suggests that the drone was fighting a head wind and a significant head wind at that. With respect to position, any such wind may have become a significant factor during the descent of your drone. We can not even guess this because, since you will not post the log, we can not work out how far the drone had to descend. Nor can the wind the drone was encountering be estimated.

Response : As an international, multi-decade hang-glider pilot & instructor, who knows those specific hills from years of soaring and hiking, its possible I an estimate those low-level winds fairly well.

A: I've recently learned wind was not the significant factor for this flight. Wind was nil at takeoff (teaching hang gliding for years has me extra sensitive to slightest breezes) and only "gusting" up to maybe 7 mph in flight.
Unusual battery burn was overwhelmingly due to me flying back at full speed in Sport mode which reduced distance able to fly, from 20-25% according to the logs.

SBB: If you seek information from DJI i.e. the "horse's mouth" then I suggest you PM one of the mods, point them at this thread and ask them to pass your questions "up the chain".

Response : Good idea, & Done.
2023-8-4
Use props
Venture
lvl.3

United States

DJI Tony Posted at 7-31 00:16
Hi, Venture. Thank you for patiently waiting. For the F-RTH, the aircraft will fly backward for 50 m on its original flight route and ascend to the preset RTH altitude to enter Straight Line RTH. After the signal is restored, it will be a Straight line RTH, you can cancel it and retract it. If the signal is not restored, it will land and you can't override it.
When Low Battery RTH is triggered, the aircraft will calculate the estimated battery level required for the aircraft to return to the RTH point. DJI Fly displays a warning when the battery level reaches the value. Please take note of this warning.
After the warning, you can cancel RTH and choose not to return home. This warning will not appear again while in flight.

Thank you for trying Tony, but DJI didn't actually answer my questions.
* (see bottom note for off-point information)

1. "If a critical low battery warning is triggered,
the drone will autoland, and you cannot cancel it."

Venture: Ok, we've established it was already in AutoLand mode
due to critical low battery,
but we're not trying to cancel AutoLand.

Since we're beyond signal, we accept we can't control it at all.

We want to know how the Firmware is controlling it

We need to know what the Mini 2 firmware is doing - and when, and what other conditions could override it.

What we need to know (with some new hints provided by Sean-bumble-bee) is --

1) Once Autoland is triggered by Critical low-battery,
and Mini2 is descending without controller Signal --

a. Can Failsafe-ReturnToHome get triggered?

b. Can ReTrace get triggered?

DJI Firmware Engineers will know Exactly
whether either is triggered during Critical low-battery.

But, we mere pilots, are just guessing from semi-related experiences.

*** Tony, how do we get an authoritative answer on this directly from DJI Engineers who wrote this Firmware code or who have read it and actually understand it?

"Sean-bumble-bee" helped with some useful on-point empirical tests
which do shed some light on how far a Mini2 flies when it loses signal at high speed.

// ----------------------------------

* Off-point information -

1. "For the F-RTH, the aircraft will fly backward for 50 m on its original flight route and ascend to the preset RTH altitude to enter Straight Line RTH."

Response : Nice description of ReTrace, but I think we all already agreed upon this.
Signal was never restored. Making me BELIEVE it never did complete a ReTrace.
But, at 11% battery would it have done a partial ReTrace while continuing to descend in AutoLand?

2. "After the signal is restored, it will be a Straight line RTH,
you can cancel it and retract it.
If the signal is not restored, it will land and you can't override it."

Response : Again, Nice description, but I think we all already agreed that if the signal is not restored, it will land. The question is how far from last GPS report.
Answers to the firmware questions should help, not just with this event, but potentially with many, many others previously written off as "FlyAways."

2023-8-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Your use of terminology is confusing and might lead to people questioning if you know what you are talking about.
Specifically
"Response 1: I use throttle, steering and up-elevator "
In terms of pilot stick inputs
"throttle"  and only throttle controls vertical movement
"elevator" and "aileron" control horizontal movements and speed, there is no such thing as "up-elevator"

With regards to other points

Concerning "phase 2" initial forced landing,
"Ok, so it turns out to be vital to know what that variable battery percentage number is.
DJI Are you listening?
PS did you really mean this 'forced' descent phase 2 is triggered purely by the Barometer?
"
Why is it "vital"?
The drone's height is already factored in to the low battery RTH percentage irrespective of whether or not the drone is above or below RTH height. Once low battery RTH is triggered your know, or should know, the drone is running low on battery power.
"PS did you really mean this 'forced' descent phase 2 is triggered purely by the Barometer? "
For a height dependant threshold, what other data/sensory input is available to the drone?  
I doubt the drone is up to inertial calculation of height, as far as I know GPS height is notoriously inaccurate and VPS height sensing doesn't work when the drone is at 'height'.
Barometer data is the only relevant sensory input that I can think of that remains available to the drone.
Even if the drone carried a data base of ground elevation against location it would need barometer data to calculate AGL

"So knowing the Firmware critical battery phase threshold is rather vital.
DJI - Why isn't it published in the manual?"
Of what use would it have been to you in this situation? You couldn't use the information even if it existed, the drone was disconnected.  
I am not suggesting that the manual is well written, to my mind there are a lot of ambiguities in them, but many of these ambiguities are only revealed as a consequence of problem flights that lead to things being questioned. However the manual states that forced landing does exist and most pilots have their drone on the ground before getting near that and before things become dicey.
It only becomes relevant if
a) you are caught out with a dying battery, with the drone over somewhere unsafe and I can't see that such knowledge would help anyone in that situation. Or,
b) nutcases like me test it.
For that matter you could have done this for yourself ..... somewhere safe.
Who would notice such a warning? I would say that a great many pilots don't study the manual well enough to notice such point or if they do they do not realise the implications of it.

"Love to learn what you discovered in your testing of Landing Site rejection.
Did it ever make sideways moves or turns, or back up? What kinds  of places does it reject - soft, brushy, rocky, steep?"
Regarding movements, as I remember none that were the consequence of automation. That I am aware of, there are no relevant automations with the mini 2, however there were movements due to wind and any commands I gave.
I can't really discern a pattern to the rejection other than perhaps the landing site being uneven or comparitively dark. I don't try remote landings so a refusal is normally of little consequence and I think in most cases I have either over ridden the refusal or hand caught the drone. Only one flight comes to mind where I ran into problems because of this and that was my first flight with a Mavic 2 and OA was on. I think it was the OA that caused me those 'all sorts of problems' and i ended up literally having to grab the drone and pull it out of the air. I put that down to my fault entirely.

"So Failsafe RTH cannot trigger for 11 seconds after signal loss?
That's useful and helpful."
That sounds as if that information is new to you, if so I would have to ask ,why is that information new to you? It's reasonably clearly stated in the manual that the drone will in 'normal circumstances' wait 11 seconds before starting ANY of the failsafe actions.
However I agree that the question of what happens in your situation is an unkown and clarification from DJI or an experiment would be welcome.

Wind speed can vary with height though 'knowledge of local conditions' might help in generalising but, even around my house, I check wind speed aloft by, when the drone is in a hover, looking at either the 'artifical horizon' or switching the gimbal to FPV and doing a 360 spin whilst watching the screen.

Ohh I hate the way this forum handles inserting new f'n lines.

2023-8-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-4 00:40
I have the recollection that some Brit ...... pilot? sent the a Mini 2 up in one of our storms and recorded ridiculous speed. From memory I think he lost the drone but I seem to remember that they said the drone was being replaced or it may have mixed two stories up, but the relevant bit is the supposed replacement, so I suppose there could be a chance here.

There is always a chance as there is no telling with DJI, ive seen some that have been replaced when i didnt think they ever would.

I do remember that flight, i think he was surprised he lost it but would have been covered under fly away.
2023-8-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In my opinion, nothing will override critical battery landing, critical is just that so its using its last ditch attempt to get the drone on the ground before it shuts down, i really cannot see "Failsafe-ReturnToHome get triggered?" this happening at all.
2023-8-4
Use props
Venture
lvl.3

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-4 00:40
I have the recollection that some Brit ...... pilot? sent the a Mini 2 up in one of our storms and recorded ridiculous speed. From memory I think he lost the drone but I seem to remember that they said the drone was being replaced or it may have mixed two stories up, but the relevant bit is the supposed replacement, so I suppose there could be a chance here.

This one is out of warranty, and its loss is mine, not DJI's fault.

All I'm trying to do is find out some fundamental flight dynamics
that DJI should have published when the Mini 2 was released.
2023-8-4
Use props
Venture
lvl.3

United States

Bashy Posted at 8-4 03:15
In my opinion, nothing will override critical battery landing, critical is just that so its using its last ditch attempt to get the drone on the ground before it shuts down, i really cannot see "Failsafe-ReturnToHome get triggered?" this happening at all.

I appreciate your helpful thoughts and moreso that you note that it is your opinion Bashy.
But opinion so far hasn't found the Mini 2 - which is why I insist that DJI inform us of these
fundamental flight dynamics and priorities in their Blackbox firmware.

The reason those fundamental flight dynamics and priorities are critical to know
is born out with SSB's laudable flight testing, where his Mini 2 did not stop from 21 mph (8-9m/s) instantly:
it coasted at various distances from 43 feet to 88 feet.
Though I suspect none of those were experiencing Autoland, F-RTH,
or at 11% battery.
2023-8-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Venture Posted at 8-4 08:49
I appreciate your helpful thoughts and moreso that you note that it is your opinion Bashy.
But opinion so far hasn't found the Mini 2 - which is why I insist that DJI inform us of these
fundamental flight dynamics and priorities in their Blackbox firmware.

"Though I suspect none of those were experiencing Autoland, F-RTH, or at 11% battery."
You are correct.
By the time my mini 2 approaches forced landing it is more than likely over the home point or within 100ft of it.
At 11% battery it would be either over the home point or within 20 or so feet of the. I think I have once and only once, landed it away from the home point and that was on the other side of the house and I walked around the house to watch and supervise its landing.
2023-8-4
Use props
Venture
lvl.3

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-4 02:50
Your use of terminology is confusing and might lead to people questioning if you know what you are talking about.
Specifically
"Response 1: I use throttle, steering and up-elevator "

OP: "So Failsafe RTH cannot trigger for 11 seconds after signal loss?
That's useful and helpful."

SSB: It's reasonably clearly stated in the manual that the drone will in 'normal circumstances' wait 11 seconds before starting ANY of the failsafe actions.
However I agree that the question of what happens in your situation is an unkown and clarification from DJI or an experiment would be welcome.

Response:
Thank you for agreeing we need more information from DJI.

To clarify - the Manual states "FailSafe RTH automatically activates after ..."

It does not state "FailSafe RTH ONLY automatically activates after ..."

It also does not state "FailSafe RTH CANNOT automatically activate until after ..."

Because DJI is silent on this - we don't know if F-RTH can activate in less than 11 seconds
in other circumstances.

There are at least SEVEN Firmware Driven Processes that are,
and could be, going on here --

1. Critical Low Battery (Firmware Controlled )
2. AutoLand (
Firmware Controlled)
3. AutoLand vertical speed (
Firmware Controlled)
4. Aircraft forward speed when Signal Lost (Pilot initially, then
Firmware Controlled)
5. FailSafe Return to Home (
Firmware Controlled)
6. Retrace - or backwards flying prior to RTH (
Firmware Controlled)
7. Surface Unsuitable for Landing (
Firmware Controlled)

Each of these act independently, and significantly affect where a drone will land, or fall out of the sky.

It appears that 3 or 4 have Interrupt Priority; meaning they can interrupt the others.

Which one(s) have Ultimate Interrupt Priority is unknown - to us.  

But is fully known to DJI's Firmware authors.

Until we know when & how these separate processes are triggered and operate -
we can't know with any clarity where to search for our lost DJI products.

2023-8-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"The Manual states "FailSafe RTH automatically activates after ..."
it does not state "FailSafe RTH ONLY automatically activates after ..."
It also does not state "FailSafe RTH CANNOT automatically activate until after ..."
"

Bearing in mind that the manual may be translated from a Chinese original I make allowances for possible translation 'errors'.
Personally I think many things in the English version of DJI manuals are not phrased in the way a writer, whose first language was English, would write them.

"we can't know with any clarity where to search for our lost DJI products."
Whilst true, most people, when looking for a disconnected drone that didn't make it home, accept that there are vagaries in determining the drone's location and use the disconnection point as the start point for a search then extend that search along possible flight paths.
You know the hypothetically possible flight paths ....... my suggestion would be to search them.
ll the time you are 'wasting' waiting for definitive answers to your questions the drone is getting hammered by the elements etc. and possibly risk someone else finding it..  
2023-8-4
Use props
Venture
lvl.3

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-4 10:26
"You know the hypothetically possible flight paths ....... my suggestion would be to search them.
All the time you are 'wasting' waiting for definitive answers to your questions

Response: Four times in Two weeks I've hiked up the 11 mile round trip, blazing-hot, 7 hour, 2,000+ ft hill.

I've already searched and 100% cleared all the easy, likely places.

Paraphrasing Thomas Edison "I now know 10 acres where it Isn't."

All remaining hypothetical flight paths potentially involve
all Seven Firmware Drivers / Processes (see Post #44),
which still covers the nastiest of a dozen hectares (~30 acres) of this steep, rocky, slippery,
landsliding,
brushy, (Rattlesnake, Poison Oak and Tick) infested hillside.

(The Rocky slopes are so steep and precarious my friends won't even try it.
And I don't blame them one bit. -- Do I hear any volunteers?)

Here's why we need DJI firmware programmers to answer those questions  --

1. Landing Spot vs. Landing Line 150 meters Long

If the Mini 2 started any ReTrace that changes its likely
landing Spot (maybe 20 feet in diameter) -- to a landing Line
- at least 50 meters (yards) long and 20 feet (6 m) wide.

If it kept flying at 21 mph for 11 seconds -
that makes its landing Line another 100 meters long; total = 150 meters (and 20 feet (6 m) wide).

2. Landing Line 150 meters Long vs. 30 acre Landing Acreage

If it then started FailSafe-Return to Home with 11% battery remaining,
it could travel up to a half mile (almost a kilometer) at a Right Angle to its last path; the Landing Line.
(Because I was aiming it away from the rocky slopes - towards a grassy meadow
vs. towards Home Point which was 90 degrees to the drone's Left from its last reported path).

150 meters (yards) by 800 meters = 120,000 square meters ~ 12 hectares ~ 30 acres.

(... of steep, rocky, brushy, etc. hillside)
Knowing the dynamics could reduce places to look to a few acres,
or a lot less, possibly down to a Landing Spot !
Thus the Firmware dynamics seem somewhat important.

2023-8-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HI, this will give you your definitive answer, the guy took out the Mini 2 on a range test, he lets it come back in RTH, as soon as it got down to 7%, Critical low battery and Low battery landing takes over from RTH, you get the warning and then it starts to land disabling RTH, then its up to you and override it with the up stick and try to fly it to a better landing position if needed.

If its disconnected, obviously you will not be able to manually fly it to a better spot, it will land there and then at 7%

The video starts at the point just before Auto land kicks in, if it starts at the beginning then go to around 9mins, 29s

2023-8-4
Use props
Venture
lvl.3

United States

Bashy Posted at 8-4 18:39
HI, this will give you your definitive answer, the guy took out the Mini 2 on a range test, he lets it come back in RTH, as soon as it got down to 7%, Critical low battery and Low battery landing takes over from RTH, you get the warning and then it starts to land disabling RTH, then its up to you and override it with the up stick and try to fly it to a better landing position if needed.

If its disconnected, obviously you will not be able to manually fly it to a better spot, it will land there and then at 7%

Thank you for finding this and uploading it Bashy - that does help.
Though that Mini 2 was not moving forward a significant rate at, or just previous to, signal loss,
I see that after Signal loss at battery level below 10%,
ReTrace did not kick in, nor did F-RTH !   

(Though it is  possible that to trigger backing up,
ReTrace may need some horizontal movement just prior to Signal loss.
Otherwise it would just back up by ascending.
At critically low battery and no signal, unless RTH was started,
ascending would be a waste of precious energy resources.)

That is helpful.

Also interesting to see it struggle with AutoLand
above the leafless branches.

The Mini 2 did not seem to turn away or hunt more than a few inches
for a better landing spot.
Certainly not feet or meters.

When I get mine back, I hope to post the video as well.
(Though to minimize the surprisingly rapid battery drain,
I may have turned recording off for the last 30% battery.)

Cheers

2023-8-4
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules