Mavic 3 Pro: 24mm Lens Sharpness?
1544 31 2023-7-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Madlantern
lvl.1

China

I just got my Mavic 3 Pro, and am pretty happy with it overall. But (1) I noticed that the 24mm lens is a bit soft, especially when compared to the 70mm version. Is this normal? And (2) The sharpness of the 24mm lens doesn't improve much when stopped down to f5.6 or f2.8 compared to wide open. Is this normal?

Lightroom comparison below:

corner shot, 24mm vs 70mm (48mpx), both at f/2.8

corner shot, 24mm vs 70mm (12 mpx), both at f/2.8

corner shot, f/2.8 vs f/5.6, at 24mm

Raw files: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AoyxytEAaZ1JmwjuQkTFlkqRMD5U?e=RxGwSy

2023-7-28
Use props
ArcticPhoto
Second Officer
Norway

Almost all lenses are softer in the corners, and it is more pronounced on wideangle lenses. On most lenses it will improve a bit when stopped down 2-3 stops, but the corners will never be as sharp as the center. Drone lenses are not optimized for close-up photography, so example photos taken from the air would be more useful.
2023-7-28
Use props
Madlantern
lvl.1

China

ArcticPhoto Posted at 7-28 07:58
Almost all lenses are softer in the corners, and it is more pronounced on wideangle lenses. On most lenses it will improve a bit when stopped down 2-3 stops, but the corners will never be as sharp as the center. Drone lenses are not optimized for close-up photography, so example photos taken from the air would be more useful.

I know wide angle lenses are much harder to make than more conventional lenses in the 35-50mm range. And also stopping down the aperture helps. Which is also why I did the test to compare f/2.8 to f/5.6.

I was somewhat surprised that stopping down to f/5.6 (which according to others is the sweet spot, since anything larger and you'd start to get diffraction) didn't improve very much. I feel the 70mm beats the 24mm handily - which is very disappointing, since as much as I like the 70mm, the 24mm will still be the default lens for my photography (especially since it's the only one with m43 sensor).

So what I'm asking is if I got a bad copy of the 24mm lens, or if this is the max quality the 24mm is capable of producing? I noticed a slight de-centering (the right side of the lens is a tad sharper than the left, but it's not too much).

Even in the center at f/5.6, it's not so sharp
2023-7-28
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi. I'll get this referred to our relevant team to confirm. I will get to you quickly once I get a response. Thank you for your patience.
2023-7-29
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Madlantern Posted at 7-28 08:22
I know wide angle lenses are much harder to make than more conventional lenses in the 35-50mm range. And also stopping down the aperture helps. Which is also why I did the test to compare f/2.8 to f/5.6.

I was somewhat surprised that stopping down to f/5.6 (which according to others is the sweet spot, since anything larger and you'd start to get diffraction) didn't improve very much. I feel the 70mm beats the 24mm handily - which is very disappointing, since as much as I like the 70mm, the 24mm will still be the default lens for my photography (especially since it's the only one with m43 sensor).

I had few other issues with Mavic 3 Pro main camera, one of them was a soft spot in the centre.  But I also noticed on 4 units I had that stopping down makes sharpness worse overall, which is very strange as it performed the best at 2.8 in exceptional sharpnes in some areas.
As other said, corner sharpness fallout will occur on these lenses but at least centre should be good.

After reviewing your images I think its all good imho.
2023-7-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

How often are you going to be using the drone to photograph printed text from only a few feet away indoors?
Your test is no indication of how the camera will produce images in actual use.
2023-7-29
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 7-29 11:48
How often are you going to be using the drone to photograph printed text from only a few feet away indoors?
Your test is no indication of how the camera will produce images in actual use.

Thats true as well
2023-7-30
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Why do you think slower shutter speeds with lower ISO will give you better sharpness in your photos. Slower shutter speeds may be the cause of these samples being so bad. I would suggest you use correct SS and auto ISO for better photos and you might see better results . Noise is easy to remove but correct sharpness is not easy to replace.

I would run the tests again in both auto and manual aperture and shutter speed auto or manual ISO and you might see better results.

I’m always surprised that particularly in lowlight many believe the lowest ISO will give the best photos and this could not be further from the facts.
2023-7-30
Use props
Madlantern
lvl.1

China

Hallmark007 Posted at 7-30 06:19
Why do you think slower shutter speeds with lower ISO will give you better sharpness in your photos. Slower shutter speeds may be the cause of these samples being so bad. I would suggest you use correct SS and auto ISO for better photos and you might see better results . Noise is easy to remove but correct sharpness is not easy to replace.

I would run the tests again in both auto and manual aperture and shutter speed auto or manual ISO and you might see better results.

These photos are taken with the drone placed on a desk indoors. I'm certain shutter speed isn't contributing to the lack of sharpness. Especially when you compare the 2.8 vs 5.6 shots both taken with the 24mm lens at 2 stops faster shutter speed. The shorter shutter speed shot isn't sharper.
2023-7-30
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Madlantern Posted at 7-30 06:28
These photos are taken with the drone placed on a desk indoors. I'm certain shutter speed isn't contributing to the lack of sharpness. Especially when you compare the 2.8 vs 5.6 shots both taken with the 24mm lens at 2 stops faster shutter speed. The shorter shutter speed shot isn't sharper.

The shorter shutter speed isn’t sharper

That’s because this is also the wrong shutter speed.

Those photographs are obviously taken in lowlight hence the very slow shutter speeds, i think if you even tried to take the photos in Auto the settings would be totally different. Take the samples with correct shutter speed and aperture for conditions. You have clearly taken them in aperture priority and you will get different results if you take them as you should with the correct SS aperture and either auto ISO or manual ISO you will get different results .

There are some rules in photography should be followed and you will get sharper images if you correctly use your exposure triangle it should improve end result. If this doesn't work then you might have a problem
2023-7-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
New Zealand

Hallmark007 Posted at 7-30 06:19

I’m always surprised that particularly in lowlight many believe the lowest ISO will give the best photos and this could not be further from the facts.
OK .. I'll bite.
Why won't the lowest ISO give the best images in low light?
And there's no need to bring up anything about motion, I'm assuming a static subject.
2023-7-30
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Labroides Posted at 7-30 15:34
OK .. I'll bite.
Why won't the lowest ISO give the best images in low light?

Look up slow shutter speed and noise you’ll see what Im talking about. Most people believe that low ISO produces better images this is not true , correct use of your exposure triangle will always produce better images , in low light using slow shutter speeds you are likely or more likely to lose sharpness and create more noise in your images. It’s somewhat of a myth that using your lowest ISO gives better images, this was more to do with film when you had to buy film with built in ISO so on a shoot with very bright light you would use film with low ISO , if you needed more light you bought a high ISO film (high speed/ low speed), digital does not work the same and you will always get better images if you use the correct ISO SHUTTER AND APERTURE and this is also the best way to test a particular lens or camera. It’s not just a matter of using the lowest ISO to produce the best images, in fact in order to increase light and get better images in lowlight increasing ISO may well be the best way to get better images. Remember we're talking about light to the sensor here and thats what ISO does.

The photographs above are taken in lowlight, focus doesn't look great sharpness and noise looks bad because of the lowlight and nothing to compensate except slow shutter speeds there is very little contrast either in the photos which altogether produces exactly what the camera was set up to produce.
2023-7-31
Use props
rent
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1773458 ft
  • >>>
United States

This would have been an interesting comparison. But the images do not match your textual description, on none of the three pairs you presented!

Try harder next time.
2023-7-31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
New Zealand

Hallmark007 Posted at 7-31 05:56
Look up slow shutter speed and noise you’ll see what Im talking about. Most people believe that low ISO produces better images this is not true , correct use of your exposure triangle will always produce better images , in low light using slow shutter speeds you are likely or more likely to lose sharpness and create more noise in your images. It’s somewhat of a myth that using your lowest ISO gives better images, this was more to do with film when you had to buy film with built in ISO so on a shoot with very bright light you would use film with low ISO , if you needed more light you bought a high ISO film (high speed/ low speed), digital does not work the same and you will always get better images if you use the correct ISO SHUTTER AND APERTURE and this is also the best way to test a particular lens or camera. It’s not just a matter of using the lowest ISO to produce the best images, in fact in order to increase light and get better images in lowlight increasing ISO may well be the best way to get better images. Remember we're talking about light to the sensor here and thats what ISO does.

The photographs above are taken in lowlight, focus doesn't look great sharpness and noise looks bad because of the lowlight and nothing to compensate except slow shutter speeds there is very little contrast either in the photos which altogether produces exactly what the camera was set up to produce.

It’s somewhat of a myth that using your lowest ISO gives better images.
You've ignored the fact that increasing ISO creates image noise.
Very few drone photos are shot at shutter speed slow enough for noise related to slow shutter speed would be an issue.

Get down in really low light territory with the drone and you won't want to be shooting much slower than 1 second.
Increasing ISO is the only option in most situations and that will increase image noise.

2023-7-31
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Labroides Posted at 7-31 11:49
It’s somewhat of a myth that using your lowest ISO gives better images.
You've ignored the fact that increasing ISO creates image noise.
Very few drone photos are shot at shutter speed slow enough for noise related to slow shutter speed would be an issue.

You  get as much noise if not more using slower shutter speeds or wrong shutter speeds in low light.

ISO is a light source for your sensor, if your sensor cannot get enough light fast enough it will result in noise so it makes no sense to use a low ISO you should use a correct ISO and correct shutter speed..

As i said earlier this was true with film grain/noise but it is not the same as digital.

The OP posted above using his drone as you would any 4/3 camera but applied the settings that got the results he posted and if he choose different settings he would have achieved different results.

I’ve seen many photos from drones using wrong shutter speeds because they used wrong ISO particularly at night resulting in high noise “not caused by ISO”

Of course using higher ISO will result in more noise, but trying to compensate by using to slow a shutter speed or incorrect aperture will result in even more noise.
2023-7-31
Use props
rent
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hallmark007 Posted at 7-31 12:30
You  get as much noise if not more using slower shutter speeds or wrong shutter speeds in low light.

ISO is a light source for your sensor, if your sensor cannot get enough light fast enough it will result in noise so it makes no sense to use a low ISO you should use a correct ISO and correct shutter speed..

Noise produced by lengthening shutter speed is not as significant as by increasing ISO by the same number of stops.
2023-7-31
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

rent Posted at 7-31 14:51
Noise produced by lengthening shutter speed is not as significant as by increasing ISO by the same number of stops.

That was not my point. Just simply lowering the ISO will not give you better images in low light and the OP presumes it should.
2023-7-31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
New Zealand

Hallmark007 Posted at 7-31 12:30

Wrong shutter speeds?   Incorrect aperture?
Where did you learn photography?

At the shutter speeds used for drone photography, long shutter speed induced noise isn't anything that drone flyers need to be concerned about, but noise caused by increasing ISO is.
It's easy to demonstrate this and prove you wrong.
Shooting at 1 sec and 100 ISO gives very good results without any noise problem.

2023-7-31
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Labroides Posted at 7-31 19:59
Wrong shutter speeds?   Incorrect aperture?
Where did you learn photography?

Shooting at 1 sec and 100 ISO gives very good results without any noise problem

Just take a look at the opening post above. Once again you start to insult people before answering the question. So move on you haven’t a clue.
2023-7-31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
New Zealand

Hallmark007 Posted at 7-31 23:51
Shooting at 1 sec and 100 ISO gives very good results without any noise problem

The OP's "test" says nothing about how the camera works in actual drone use.
Yes .. shooting ISO 100 @ 1 second, outdoors in real light and a real subject distance gives very, very good results.
If you don't know that. it just because you know next to nothing about photography.
Maybe you've been using an incorrect aperture or picking the wrong shutter speed.

Once again you start to insult people before answering the question.

Tosser ... If your reading was better, you'd have noticed that I have answered the question, before you came in spouting misinformation and generally being obnoxious
2023-8-1
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Sorry for the late response. The resolution of the image from the center to the edge is gradually reduced due to the optical characteristics of the spherical mirror. It is normal to have a slight blur at the edge of the picture.
Check whether the aircraft firmware is the latest version. If not, update it to the latest version.
Restore the camera parameters, and check whether the lens is dirty. If yes, use the cleaning cloth to wipe it. If the lens is mounted with the filter, remove it before capturing.
Please set the ISO to 100 in different scenarios, take photos in JPEG and DNG format, and then DM me the link to the original footage, aircraft serial number, and firmware version for further checking. Thank you for your patience.
2023-8-1
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Labroides Posted at 8-1 02:39
The OP's "test" says nothing about how the camera works in actual drone use.
Yes .. shooting ISO 100 @ 1 second, outdoors in real light and a real subject distance gives very, very good results.
If you don't know that. it just because you know next to nothing about photography.

Again your ignorance knows no bounds. You’re the biggest tosser around here and you always have been.

The camera is quite capable of testing indoors and outdoors its a camera and correct settings it should be able to shoot indoors and outdoors. It’s also quite capable of shooting good images in low light including shutter speeds slower than 1 second.
You keep harping on about high ISO causing noise, fast shutter speeds and higher F-stops can cause more noise than higher ISO but you’re too ignorant to understand that.
2023-8-1
Use props
rent
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hallmark007 Posted at 8-1 08:28
Again your ignorance knows no bounds. You’re the biggest tosser around here and you always have been.

The camera is quite capable of testing indoors and outdoors its a camera and correct settings it should be able to shoot indoors and outdoors. It’s also quite capable of shooting good images in low light including shutter speeds slower than 1 second.

"fast shutter speeds and higher F-stops can cause more noise than higher ISO"

this is simply not true.

first, aperture by itself would have no effect on noise (other than requiring corresponding compensation in ISO or shutter speed, both of which do affect noise).

secondly, as i stated earlier, noise produced by lengthening shutter speed is insignificant when compared to noise produced by increasing ISO by the same number of stops.

if you'd like a concrete example, let's say 8 seconds at ISO 100 produces a good exposure. you'd get same exposure with 1 second at ISO 800. now which image would have more noise?
2023-8-2
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

rent Posted at 8-2 13:16

this is simply not true.

I suppose when you correctly test the results do not match what you say. There are many other test videos out there also. But as a leading photographer on you tube maybe you'll  believe him.
if you'd like a concrete example, let's say 8 seconds at ISO 100 produces a good exposure. you'd get same exposure with 1 second at ISO 800. now which image would have more noise?

It would depend on the SNR of your camera
2023-8-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
New Zealand

rent Posted at 8-2 13:16

this is simply not true.

You're wasting your time and effort trying to talk sense to the village idiot.
2023-8-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
New Zealand

Hallmark007 Posted at 8-2 13:23
I suppose when you correctly test the results do not match what you say. There are many other test videos out there also. But as a leading photographer on you tube maybe you'll  believe him.
https://youtu.be/2jkf31w7fwUif you'd like a concrete example, let's say 8 seconds at ISO 100 produces a good exposure. you'd get same exposure with 1 second at ISO 800. now which image would have more noise?

I'll see your "leading photographer on Youtube" and raise you a Nikon USA.
https://www.nikonusa.com/en/lear ... so-sensitivity.html

You seem to ignore the additional fact that users of consumer drones aren't using full frame DSLRs or medium format cameras.
They are making do with small sensor cameras and small pixel size which is another contributing factor in higher ISO causing higher noise issue that you refuse to believe.
2023-8-2
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Labroides Posted at 8-2 16:41
I'll see your "leading photographer on Youtube" and raise you a Nikon USA.
https://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and-explore/a/tips-and-techniques/understanding-iso-sensitivity.html

When you cannnot prove you point you always resort to insulting people. Fact is you’ve been waffling around insulting anyone who doesn’t agree with you. Nobody is allowed share opinions unless they go through the idiot you really are. You obviously live a very sad existence a lab rat as most around here call you. If you watched the video the opening line was “if you don’t want to upgrade to full or medium format” he will show you how better to manage noise. As I said your ignorance knows no bounds , crawl back in your hole dumb Lab Rat….
2023-8-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
New Zealand

Hallmark007 Posted at 8-3 03:09
When you cannnot prove you point you always resort to insulting people. Fact is you’ve been waffling around insulting anyone who doesn’t agree with you. Nobody is allowed share opinions unless they go through the idiot you really are. You obviously live a very sad existence a lab rat as most around here call you. If you watched the video the opening line was “if you don’t want to upgrade to full or medium format” he will show you how better to manage noise. As I said your ignorance knows no bounds , crawl back in your hole dumb Lab Rat….

When you cannnot prove you point you always resort to insulting people.
You are the one that is doing all the insulting in this thread.
I've been trying to present some facts.

But you have nothing at all to say about what Nikon say?
Nothing except the usual abusive crap that you spout so freely?
Not capable of addressing actual issues and facts?
No ... I didn't think so.
2023-8-3
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Listen you never said anything about the video I posted that clearly shows where noise comes from. You’re a clown . When people around here don’t agree with you you resort to calling them names , that’s because you cannot cope with anyone knowing something you obviously haven’t a clue about .
Like now you’re are trying to say drone cameras are somehow different than other cameras just to suit your jaundiced views. Your nothing but a failed school teacher who thinks it’s his job to knock others about. You’re ignorant and as long as you’ve being around here that’s how your thought of. Go away crawl back into your hole.
2023-8-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
New Zealand

Hallmark007 Posted at 8-3 05:17
Listen you never said anything about the video I posted that clearly shows where noise comes from. You’re a clown . When people around here don’t agree with you you resort to calling them names , that’s because you cannot cope with anyone knowing something you obviously haven’t a clue about .
Like now you’re are trying to say drone cameras are somehow different than other cameras just to suit your jaundiced views. Your nothing but a failed school teacher who thinks it’s his job to knock others about. You’re ignorant and as long as you’ve being around here that’s how your thought of. Go away crawl back into your hole.

Listen you never said anything about the video I posted that clearly shows where noise comes from.
I posted an authoritative source contradicting your youtube guy.
The implication should have been clear to anyone.
I'll accept what Nikon has to say about noise and it's relation to high ISO rather than some guy on youtube, particularly when my experience is that using high ISO on a DJI drone camera in low light situations results in substantial noise in the images.
And again, you haven't come up with any relevant comment.

But you prefer to hurl insults and offensive language, while accusing me of doing exactly what you do.
2023-8-3
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Labroides Posted at 8-3 12:39
Listen you never said anything about the video I posted that clearly shows where noise comes from.
Go look at who insulted who first. Many have backed down to your bullying "I wont"
The guy on you tube purports to be a photographic scientist, your nickon advertisement is complete BS and you know it. You're just a fraud .
Why ! Idiot , you accept what you posted how ignorant of you “as usual “ no one is entitled to an opinion how big of you you’re full of it you accept what suits your argument your so full of your own sh1t it’s almost unbelievable. You know didly squat about photography and that really shows in your dependence on others to make your case . Your a fraud and you always have been go away and bother somebody else .
2023-8-3
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Labroides Posted at 8-3 12:39

What a numpthy you think you can insult others and then try accuse them of doing it. What a joke of a human being you are. I’ve seen you call people pricks wankers aresholes and a lot worse because they don’t agree with you and believe your utter sh1t you’re a loser and I’m only glad others agree with this not only here but on many other forums.
2023-8-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules