Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DaveInTexas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 269190 ft
Canada

Is this possible?
I did a search here and see nothing.
By possible, I mean without risk of lacerations lol.

I am flying in an area in which the grass might contact the blades and wanted to avoid that.  I believe they are intended to only contact air.

2023-7-31
Use props
Bodkins Best Photography
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2195374 ft
Canada

With the mini 2 it was no sweat unless it was really windy.  
My friend had issues hand catching all 3 of his mini 3 pros.  Sometimes it would actually fall the last 2 inches when attempting to hand catch.  
I got my mini 3 pro recently and have no issues hand catching.  Just keep holding down on the landing stick when you're ready to catch it. With the wider prop orientation it's almost impossible to get cut by the blades as long as your fingers are aiming to grab the belly of the drone.
2023-7-31
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's pretty easy.  I do it all the time. Take-off from a flat palm of the hand should give no issues. When landing, bring the drone down to a hover at a convenient height to reach under and grab it - but before doing that switch flight mode from Normal to Sport mode so that the sensors won't be triggered. After grabbing it firmly, swiftly flip it  upside-down and the motors will stop.
2023-7-31
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, DaveInTexas. For safety reasons, it is not recommended that you have the aircraft take off from your hand or land the aircraft on your hands. We suggest using any flat platform to take off from and land the aircraft if you're in a grassy area.
2023-7-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Never had any lacerations from the Mini props,  now the Mavic's are a different beast
2023-7-31
Use props
_SoP_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 951020 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I'm always doing both - starting and landing from my hand. It is very easy and I was never feeling endangered (yet). It is the fastest way to start and land like that in order to reduce the "time footprint"
2023-8-1
Use props
DuRavary
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125135 ft
France

When hand landing approach the drone from behind where it doesn't seem to sense you.
2023-8-1
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

As I live on a large boat I hand launch/recover both the Mini 3 Pro and my Air 2S.  Just takes a little practice.  I hold my hand slightly above my head with an open palm for launching.  For landing I bring it down to a hover about head height and then switch to sport's mode to not have bottom sensors on and then with an open palm i hold stick down until it touches my palm and then grab it and flip over and it stops immediately.  You do have to be careful on windy days.  

Just practice it and you'll never go back to any other method to launch or recover.  Also, best way to keep debris out of motors and from nicking props on anything on the ground.
2023-8-1
Use props
DaveInTexas
lvl.2
Canada

I put it into S sport mode, but it won’t land on my hand.

It gets about a foot away, then bolts upward, away from my hand.

The switch was definitely in a solid detent, on the far right.

This, even with me approaching from the rear, trying to avoid the sensors.

Is there a ‘manual’ way to turn off sensors?
2023-8-1
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

One thing about hand recovery, mare sure your hand is even or above your elbow to keep your wrist out of the line of props, they got me once!
2023-8-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I take off and land using the pincer grip, that way there can be no accidental tipping, not only that, using the pincer means you can catch it safely away from and above the head, using a flat hand above the head is precarious, to say the least This is what i advise for noobs
2023-8-1
Use props
_SoP_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 951020 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Bashy Posted at 8-1 21:26
I take off and land using the pincer grip, that way there can be no accidental tipping, not only that, using the pincer means you can catch it safely away from and above the head, using a flat hand above the head is precarious, to say the least  This is what i advise for noobs

That's what I do as well. No flat hand, as this would be almost acrobatic I usually grab the drone from the side as there are no sensors. And I don't turn it, but just keep the left stick downwards until the motors stop.
2023-8-1
Use props
DuRavary
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125135 ft
France

DowntownRDB Posted at 8-1 04:44
As I live on a large boat I hand launch/recover both the Mini 3 Pro and my Air 2S.  Just takes a little practice.  I hold my hand slightly above my head with an open palm for launching.  For landing I bring it down to a hover about head height and then switch to sport's mode to not have bottom sensors on and then with an open palm i hold stick down until it touches my palm and then grab it and flip over and it stops immediately.  You do have to be careful on windy days.  

Just practice it and you'll never go back to any other method to launch or recover.  Also, best way to keep debris out of motors and from nicking props on anything on the ground.

If it’s the large boat in your profile photo I am surprised you can’t find a spare bit of flat deck.
2023-8-1
Use props
bobmalkh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 88045 ft
Israel

When taking off, if there is no smooth and clean surface, I launch from the palm of my hand and use "Autostart" (it's more convenient for me) Landing is always on the hand, but not the palm, but I use a pinch grip. I don't switch to sport mode. On the contrary, I turn on the tripod. Just at a height of 4-5 m, I turn the drone back to me, put my hand at the height of my head and press the left stick until I grab it. After the capture, I continue to press the stick down. 2-3 seconds and the motors stall.
2023-8-1
Use props
Bodkins Best Photography
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2195374 ft
Canada

Bashy Posted at 8-1 21:26
I take off and land using the pincer grip, that way there can be no accidental tipping, not only that, using the pincer means you can catch it safely away from and above the head, using a flat hand above the head is precarious, to say the least  This is what i advise for noobs

I've never understood why some people recommend catching it with your hand totally flat.  There's zero control with that method.
2023-8-1
Use props
DaveInTexas
lvl.2
Canada

Tell me the trick!
I have it in Sport Mode but it won't land on my hand!
I bring it down to my hand but as soon as the sensor sees my hand it zooms up a foot.  
Or if I reach up to it, away it goes!

2023-8-2
Use props
bobmalkh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 88045 ft
Israel

DaveInTexas Posted at 8-2 05:35
Tell me the trick!
I have it in Sport Mode but it won't land on my hand!
I bring it down to my hand but as soon as the sensor sees my hand it zooms up a foot.  

I don't switch to sport mode. On the contrary, I turn on the tripod.
2023-8-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DaveInTexas Posted at 8-2 05:35
Tell me the trick!
I have it in Sport Mode but it won't land on my hand!

Can be done in sports as i use sports so that the rear sensors don't interupt the landing

Hold hand above head in a pincer grip,
Bring the drone down slowly, do not move hand,
when the drone senses you hand, down stick to 100%

The drone will start back and enter landing mode as it thinks its the ground
Have faith  in it, it will return to landing a second or so later, when its really close to hand you can then move and grab it if its not 100% in place. Trust in it...
2023-8-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DuRavary Posted at 8-1 22:32
If it’s the large boat in your profile photo I am surprised you can’t find a spare bit of flat deck.

Plenty of acreage on that carrier to land for sure.  I live on a mni-yacht (82 footer) but don't have a good spot to land except near the stern.  However, no problem as hand launch/recover has worked for all my drones.  Of course if I had an Inspire I wouldn't even try it with that drone.
2023-8-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules