• >>>
United States

Nice. Looks like you use FCP. I used that same 3D text. LOL
2015-8-30
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

Nice video BUT you should remove it for our sake, as there is incriminating evidence against you and making us all look bad :

1- at 1:00 mark there is the fifth ave place building which is 616 feet high and you are above that altitude.
2- at 2:44 you were flying over a high capacity bridge.
3- at 3:30 you were flying over a public facility.

If you just got the fountain and got the landscape from afar that would be more than enough for a good video, i am not trying to be a police man or anything i am just trying to help you not getting in hot waters.

2015-8-30
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.3

United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-30 13:46
Nice video BUT you should remove it for our sake, as there is incriminating evidence against you and ...

GIGANTIC and EMPHATIC Ditto!

@landmanb, it is a great video - nice job, honest, but know two things...
1. Simply ignoring rules can ruin it for everyone, forever. People in general could not give a rat's behind that YOU are careful, etc.
2. I really hate to say this, but most of the talent is in the equipment (any of us can do this - that's why the P3 is so special - IT makes us look good).

Again, I'm not just picking on you - you just happened to be the "lucky" one that posted this.

So sorry to single you out - HUNDREDS DO IT. Sorry to come across like an Ass. I'm not. I'm on your side, ultimately.
2015-8-30
Use props
colinfichman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8621595 ft
  • >>>
United States

you guys are pansies.  A plane would never be where he was flying.   
2015-8-30
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

colinfichman@gm Posted at 2015-8-30 15:31

That doesn't matter to the FAA. They are still in the process of finalizing regulations regarding UAS flights and it is increased violations like this that may make the restrictions harsher than any us would like.
I for one do not want to spend many hours in an actual plane and thousands of dollars getting a pilot's license to fly a 3 pound piece of plastic because the government thinks we need to behave more responsibly when flying these things.
2015-8-30
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

Ok can you go shoot a movie of your private parts and show it in a PTA meeting without getting ripped a new one?
2015-8-30
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.3

United States

What does one statement have to do with the other? What does either statement have to do with the fact this could GROUND US ALL eventually?  I think most of us here have a pretty good set of gonads (we're not pansies by any stretch of the imagination), but the FAA and media-fed public could not care less.

Your sentiment here is completely understood and shared by many. But it is irrelevant, thanks to Big Brother...and the low-info, high-sensation media.

We just can't ring sUAV bells and whistles and make much of a show when we flat-out ignore the very-well-known rules and recommendations. When you are still fighting for ground in a battle, you don't announce to the adversary where you are and what you are doing and how you are doing it.

BTW - TO BE CLEAR - Everybody here can see the above video is really well done AND is anything but reckless and irresponsible. It is great. It just stomps on the rules we have to follow for a while, or else we are risking loss of this cool activity and priveledge, entirely. I'm guessing @landmanb has his exemption and license (based on really well done website and other videos), but we just can't do this sort of thing without some low-info person or group freaking out, making noise, and getting us stopped. That's not being a pansy. That is being smart and a little cagey.
2015-8-30
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

AerialLens Posted at 2015-8-30 15:49
What does one statement have to do with the other? What does either statement have to do with the f ...

Is having an excemption allows you to fly above 400 feet and around buildings ?
2015-8-30
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.3

United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-30 16:58
Is having an excemption allows you to fly above 400 feet and around buildings ?

No, No, of course not. That was our point. I suppose an exempted pilot can do some things above and beyond the "rules" with a special waiver on a closed set, etc., but that is clearly not the case here.

Really sucks we (none of us) are not allowed to do this. The guy did a good job here.

2015-8-30
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

AerialLens Posted at 2015-8-30 17:13
No, No, of course not. That was our point. I suppose an exempted pilot can do some things above an ...

Ok as I thought I was like an a-hole for telling the OP the things he did bad, so even if you have a 333 exemption you can not go above 400 feet let alone go flying between high rise buildings, right ?
2015-8-30
Use props
ag0n
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Nice job, but I have to agree.  Oh, and was there a heliport anywhere below?  It does count.
2015-8-30
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.3

United States

Right, unless you are asking for an exemption from a given rule that does not permit that.

See, the way the exemption process works (I'm working on my application now) is that the applicant has to cite the specific rules he/she wants an exemption from; that is really what you are doing, saying "I am requesting to be released from rule such and such, and rule so and so." There are a pile of specific rules to go through, then you request which ones (and exactly why) you would like to be exempted. The successful allowances I have read often say okay for some exemptions but not okay for other rules.

I guess it is possible, but I don't know of any exemption thus far permitting you to go above 400 feet unless you are doing special research. Beats me. Maybe the OP has one after all. What do you say, @landmanb? Do we (I) owe you an apology? If not, maybe you should heed Willie's advice.
2015-8-30
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

I would also owe the OP an apology if he/she would let us know if he/she had an exemption to allow for going above the FAA regulations, and to post that information on there website for anyone that might have any inquiries due to legality of such video.
2015-8-30
Use props
colinfichman
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-30 15:48
Ok can you go shoot a movie of your private parts and show it in a PTA meeting without getting rip ...

So many logical fallacies here.  Not analogous at all.
2015-8-30
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.3

United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-30 17:51
I would also owe the OP an apology if he/she would let us know if he/she had an exemption to allow f ...

It appears we don't owe an apology, for that at least. I did some digging - just to take the challenge to see if I could, not to PRY - it's his affair to handle.  All we can do is welcome him, compliment the video, wish him luck, and hope for the best.

2015-8-30
Use props
colinfichman
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

What does one statement have to do with the other? What does either statement have to do with the f ...

You are all very overzealous to think you have any effect on what the FAA is planning, and really just don't know what you are talking about.  The issue is a half century old system based on radar transponders.  Our inefficient government bureaucracy is slow moving and has been trying to implement a GPS based transponder system for 20 years.  You know the Wright brothers had to go to France because our regulations and laws were archaic and stupid even then.  Similar situation happening now.  People in Europe have much more freedom and they are not having incidents.  

I really believe our government doesn't want the public to have these spy tools and are influencing our manic media to create a bad stigma.  
2015-8-30
Use props
colinfichman
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-30 17:16
Ok as I thought I was like an a-hole for telling the OP the things he did bad, so even if you have ...

No of course not.  

I look at this situation like speeding through a school zone during the summer when school is not in session.  
2015-8-30
Use props
colinfichman
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Our laws are not dictated by Big Brother they are supposed to adapt to the needs of the public.  Pilots rights don't supersede the publics now that we have this ability also.   Stupid laws are meant to be broken, hence why so many people smoke Marijuana.  Should or would a helicopter ever be where he was? NO.  No harm no foul, get the sand out of your vaginas.  
2015-8-30
Use props
colinfichman
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

If FAA legislation goes as well as gun reform after these mass shootings then my liberty clearly isn't interfering with your rights.   
2015-8-30
Use props
colinfichman
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Seriously if it bothers you so much write your congressman.  It's funny to me every time I see someone become the Drone Police and tell other people what to do just because you own a Phantom.  
2015-8-30
Use props
colinfichman
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

How about when I am flying on the beach at 150 feet and a helicopter comes screaming through at 100 feet.   We need regulations and this is how disruptive technology works.  It will take time, accidents, and new solutions to figure out how aircraft and drones can co-exist.  Its not like he was hovering 2000 feet up in the landing line of commercial jet.  We have laws in place anyway.  The FAA doesn't have the manpower to enforce.  Only person to ever be fined was the jackass to land on the white house lawn.  
2015-8-30
Use props
colinfichman
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

This could not GROUND US ALL lol.  You guys are all speculators.  
2015-8-30
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.3

United States

Good grief, Man.  We are not on opposing teams.
Nobody is saying we were are drone police or the FAA cares about this forum. More like advocates; we want to keep the dang quads in play.
Nobody thinks we will influence the FAA. But the ill-informed media can, and DO. Why do you think they are being pushed so hard right now?
Everybody agrees the OP was doing a safe thing. Just breaking the (stupid or not) rules. Everybody watches YT.
The "write your congressman" thing is a good idea, of course.
And the school zone analogy is fine. Just not the “sand” thing…(don’t start fights, okay? especially with folks that may be on your side)

And…BTW, many of us pretty much DO know what we are talking about in a few areas. Including this one.
2015-8-30
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

AerialLens Posted at 2015-8-30 21:21
Nobody is saying we were are drone police or the FAA ...

2015-8-30
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

I on the other hand COULD end it for all, I could be a real A-hole and go fly like the OP and i will make sure the media gets a whiff of it and not in one high profile location BUT many and I will make sure the media sees how dangerous THESE drones can be and there would be no more exceptions or drones flying PERIOD.

You on the other hand must have woken up on the wrong side of you inmate balls.
2015-8-30
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

Does this look familiar to you Colin ?

Video link of high altitude of mr.colin
2015-8-30
Use props
colinfichman
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

AerialLens Posted at 2015-8-30 21:21
Nobody is saying we were are drone police or the FAA ...

Thats why you are silly.  There are idiots doing what they want everyday and you guys feel the need to call people out like it's going to do anything.  Keep saving the world, you're doing an awesome job.  

Sorry if the word Vagina offends you.
2015-8-30
Use props
colinfichman
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-30 21:52
I on the other hand COULD end it for all, I could be a real A-hole and go fly like the OP and i will ...

Again, speculation.  There are much worse stories in the media than this and shit hasn't happened.  The FAA just came out with an APP that's the best they can do right now.  

The fact that you capitalize THESE makes me question your intelligence among other points you make.

Other side of inmate balls? What?  Am I in jail?  with Wifi?  Sweet.   
2015-8-30
Use props
colinfichman
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-30 22:03

Shall I do an altitude test in that spot for you?  

Please do something about it, pansy.  
2015-8-30
Use props
colinfichman
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Why don't you search Youtube for "Altitude Test" and harass each and every one.  I hope for your own sake you are younger than 15 years old.  
2015-8-30
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

colinfichman@gm Posted at 2015-8-30 22:22
Shall I do an altitude test in that spot for you?  

Please do something about it, pansy.

You proved my point right there, no more food for this troll.
2015-8-30
Use props
Bobcat90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2517654 ft
  • >>>
Taiwan

colinfichman@gm Posted at 2015-8-31 08:44
You are all very overzealous to think you have any effect on what the FAA is planning, and really j ...

As P3 pilots, we are on the same side.  Maybe you are correct, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be mindful of our environment.  It s all of us who are quadcopter pilots that have a responsibility to our hobby.  In today's society, truth or fact are not in the forefront of things.  In a lot cases, perception tends to dominate.
2015-8-30
Use props
colinfichman
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I love that I got you mad enough to google me hahaha.
Again would a plane ever be there right in front of a dozen skyscrapers? NO.  MOOT POINT.
2015-8-30
Use props
colinfichman
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-30 22:24
You proved my point right there, no more food for this troll.

I mean you can't do anything.  So why act like you are the drone police?  Stay in your lane in the future and stop telling the next man how to have fun.  We have lawsuits, liabilities etc if there is ever damages to anybodys person, property etc.

You guys are the late majority.
2015-8-30
Use props
Willie Wonka
lvl.4

United States

colinfichman@gm Posted at 2015-8-30 22:33
I mean you can't do anything.  So why act like you are the drone police?  Stay in your lane in the ...

Dear colin,

Good luck with your flyingvids.com and i am sure a laggard by your assumption also i might be like 15 year old if that is what you think, i know for a fact that i am very stupid to have replied to you and i should shut my mouth and stay in my lane and you go ahead be the innovator as i am no match for you.

Thank you for your kind words, and i will go in my hole and hide in shame.
2015-8-30
Use props
Bobcat90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2517654 ft
  • >>>
Taiwan

Just a suggestion in terms of the videography--- editing is very important.  I think you could have done a much better job of it.   I am sure you will get there in the future, as we all will.   
2015-8-30
Use props
colinfichman
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Bobcat90 Posted at 2015-8-30 22:25
As P3 pilots, we are on the same side.  Maybe you are correct, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't  ...

Because if I drive recklessly and crash my car then all cars will become illegal.  The OP was being mindful of his environment, that's why this thread is a joke.  There is money involved from big companies like Amazon and UPS and there will soon be a  "drone lobby".  They are here to stay.

I experience drone paranoia all the time when I am out flying.  90% of the time people leave with a better understanding and outlook on drones after they talk to me and see me fly responsibly.   I have bigger fears from our government.  I have faith that when new drone laws actually get written they will be sensible.  
2015-8-30
Use props
colinfichman
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-8-30 22:39
Dear colin,

Good luck with your flyingvids.com and i am sure a laggard by your assumption also i ...

I am not associated with flyingvids.com  
Maybe you're just foreign and English is your 4th language.   You don't make sense.
2015-8-30
Use props
colinfichman
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Bobcat90 Posted at 2015-8-30 22:39
Just a suggestion in terms of the videography--- editing is very important.  I think you could have  ...

Are you referring to me or OP?  Just curious.

I know how to edit.

2015-8-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules