3407 31 2023-8-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spicemeister
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hey all,

I was lucky enough to get a pre-release copy of the Action 4 and have been using it for a few weeks now, so I'm happy to answer any questions you guys might have before you buy!

Obviously I'm not tech support but I'll do my best to answer anything for as long as I can

I also have a video below that best explains my thoughts on the camera as a whole!

2023-8-2
Use props
TechSportsLove
lvl.3
United States

Thanks for the video and opening for questions!

Fitment and reuse questions

Looking at the DJI's website, it appears the batteries for the OA3 are the same ones used in the OA4. Is that correct?

I have a SmallRig camera cage on my OA3, and I hope it will also fit on the OA4. Is that a plausible thought?

Finally, will magnetic connectors used with the OA3 work with the OA4?

---

I have camera filters for my OA3, but a YouTuber already confirmed that OA3 filters will not thread on the OA4.

That's it! Thanks again for taking questions and supplying a fantastic video, too!
2023-8-2
Use props
spicemeister
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TechSportsLove Posted at 8-2 13:21
Thanks for the video and opening for questions!

Fitment and reuse questions

Hey!

Yep the batteries are the same.

In terms of cases, the case that comes with the OA4 adventure combo is the same as the OA3 one so I’d assume you can put your Smallrig case on the OA4.

The magnetic connectors are exactly the same so you can use any you currently have from the OA3. I’m not aware of any changes to that system, it’s great as it is.

Hope that helps!
2023-8-2
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Good review you did there.
2023-8-2
Use props
TechSportsLove
lvl.3
United States

spicemeister Posted at 8-2 13:54
Hey!

Yep the batteries are the same.

Thanks for the confirmation!

Much appreciated!
2023-8-2
Use props
Kruisr
lvl.2

Germany

Can the camera finally record external audio via a USB-C lavalier microphone without distortion? Because that has not been possible since the first Osmo Action because there is no input sensitivity control in the software. Can I now have a microphone in the helmet that records undistorted audio so that I avoid the wind noise and can still comment while driving? Is that finally possible? Wouldn't that be something -Pro Creators- need as DJI says in the PR Video?
2023-8-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Excellent review and cool footage.  
2023-8-3
Use props
Tmah
lvl.1

Canada

Does Rocksteady work when used as a webcam? (UVC mode)
2023-8-3
Use props
djiuser_vo9oHs3zaKJj
New
Flight distance : 98409 ft
Slovakia

Hi, does the Action 4 has some native ISO for best performance in D-Log M? Thank you
2023-8-5
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

thank you  for opening a topic like so and nice review:

how does the Insta turn on work is it still buggy like the last,
2023-8-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice video! Looks like a nice action cam for sure!
2023-8-30
Use props
jpeterson89
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3714 ft
  • >>>
United States

Do you know if the Action 2 Remote Control Extension rod is compatible with the action 4?
2023-9-1
Use props
djiuser_ltV0r22yF0sg
New

Germany

Action 4 - Verry loud windsound. Audiosettig cut for wind
do not work for me as paragliding pilot. Any chance for software solution, case or windshielt ? Tx Michael
2023-9-4
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Using the camera alone is not going to cut it in the wind. a wind muff over the whole camera or little muffs sold online . or  get a wireless micj and  have it out of the wind.  
2023-9-4
Use props
GrimmCreations
lvl.1
Flight distance : 80610 ft
United States

@spicemeister Here is a question if you're still monitoring this thread. I purchased an Action 4 pretty much the first day they were available in the US. It will replace my Action 3 that I use mostly for moto-vlogging. It is mounted on a chin-mount on my motorcycle helmet.

To narrate my adventures, I have an in-helmet microphone. The Action 3 worked perfectly with this mic. The action 4 does not work well - would not notice the USB mic I had plugged in. I sent it back to DJI for repair - they said there is nothing wrong with it, but there was a firmware update and it seems to be working "perfectly" now. . . Except it is not

Back on my helmet, I have noticed that if I turn the camera on with the power button, the mic is there almost instantly, and when I push the record button, it works great. However, if the camera is off and I hit the record button to turn the camera on and start recording, the mic does not show up. The camera DOES sense the Mic and turns off the built-in mics, but there is ZERO audio feed from the USB mic into the camera footage. Totally silent. Not picking up sound from anywhere.

As this is for long-range moto-vlogging, you can see that I would not want to leave the camera on all the time just to grab intermittent footage of some canyon twisties. I need the camera to stay off and then record, fully functioning, with a simple press of the record button.

Have you noticed this kind of issue? is this the same on everyone's Osmo Action 4, ot is it just my camera?
2023-9-5
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

When I use an External powered, and an External non powered mice with the Shutter button only, the Audio will be there, go silent then pick up after  a few seconds. You  are using a wired mic. and it is not at all being picked up, but does that mic work perfect on other devices?
2023-9-5
Use props
GrimmCreations
lvl.1
United States

Kruisr Posted at 8-2 22:18
Can the camera finally record external audio via a USB-C lavalier microphone without distortion? Because that has not been possible since the first Osmo Action because there is no input sensitivity control in the software. Can I now have a microphone in the helmet that records undistorted audio so that I avoid the wind noise and can still comment while driving? Is that finally possible? Wouldn't that be something -Pro Creators- need as DJI says in the PR Video?

@Kruiser, I have been working with a USB mic in my helmet since Osmo Action 3. The trick is that you need to find a microphone that is designed to be near the mouth. Regular lapel mics cannot handle being so close to the mouth. I've tested many, on many different cameras. Generally, it is the mic itself that introduces the distortion. The Osmo Action 4 can do -20db in the software/setting, but I think you'll find that even though the mic signal is exceptionally low at -20db, there is still distortion and clipping of the audio recorded.

I am currently using an Audio-Technica PRO 8HEx that I modified to go inside my helmet. I disassembled the headset, shortened cord, and soldered to a USB mic connector recovered from a lapel mic that was obviously too sensitive to be in my helmet. It works great! I've actually had to put the Osmo Action 4 on +5db to get the gain in the right zone.

If this kind of modification is more than you want to do, look for a low-gain lavalier mic. If you grab a mic that is designed to go right next to the mouth, you should be fine. Any lapel mic that is designed to go 12 inches from your mouth will distort when trapped inside your helmet (in my experience).
2023-9-5
Use props
GrimmCreations
lvl.1
United States

Fishycomics Posted at 9-5 08:05
When I use an External powered, and an External non powered mice with the Shutter button only, the Audio will be there, go silent then pick up after  a few seconds. You  are using a wired mic. and it is not at all being picked up, but does that mic work perfect on other devices?

The mic works on all both the Osmo Action 3 AND the Osmo action 4. The 3 pulls in a microphone feed any time I start recording, no matter what. The action 4 pulls in a mic feed ONLY when I power the camera on FIRST and then hit record second, then it works fine on the OA4.

When I have the OA4 off and hit the record button to both power on the camera AND start recording (I forget what this 'speed record' function is called here at DJI), the camera turns on, starts recording 4K-30, does NOT show the mic level icon on the camera's screen, but DOES notice there is an external mic just enough to disable the camera's internal microphone.  So, when 'speed recording' it obviously notices the USB mic, but does not fully engage it, the camera just records silence. Neither the internal or the USB mic feeds are being recorded.

I'm just wording if this is just my camera or if everyone's does this. DJI seemed to think there was nothing wrong with it, but I doubt they tested it in the same way.
2023-9-5
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

did you create, a video sample for then showing,?
2023-9-5
Use props
GrimmCreations
lvl.1
United States

Fishycomics Posted at 9-5 09:23
did you create, a video sample for then showing,?

Yes, but I don't think it was specific enough for this exact problem. I'm sure they tested it by turning the camera on and THEN recording, and not with the speed-record function.

I came here to see if other OM4 cameras do this as well, or if it is just mine. If others say theirs work fine with a USB mic and speed record, I will start another ticket and be much more specific in my example video. If everyone's camera exhibits the same issue, I'm hoping a firmware update will be coming soon.
2023-9-5
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Wish i had a USB wired mic I d onot so I can not test that out but on the wireless mic side, its going to be silent for a few seconds till the camera supplies 3.0vdc.
2023-9-5
Use props
GrimmCreations
lvl.1
United States

Fishycomics Posted at 9-5 10:25
Wish i had a USB wired mic I d onot so I can not test that out but on the wireless mic side, its going to be silent for a few seconds till the camera supplies 3.0vdc.

Thanks for responding. Sometimes even the unpowered, UBS mics take a couple seconds to engage (at least they do on the Osmo Action 3). But not fully engaging at all on a speed record is unacceptable.
2023-9-5
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

thought I just grab a usb c  adapters and do that test again,   

2023-9-5
Use props
GrimmCreations
lvl.1
United States

Fishycomics Posted at 9-5 11:19
thought I just grab a usb c  adapters and do that test again,   

https://youtu.be/xqNrIiJzUtw

Thanks. I'll have to run my camera through some tests. I did just update the firmware (again). So, all of this might be solved. I'll test it both in a stationary location and on the motorcycle on my way home.
2023-9-5
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

GrimmCreations Posted at 9-5 13:08
Thanks. I'll have to run my camera through some tests. I did just update the firmware (again). So, all of this might be solved. I'll test it both in a stationary location and on the motorcycle on my way home.

thought we can only update once.
I will do this with  the wireless so you can see the dad spots
2023-9-5
Use props
GrimmCreations
lvl.1
United States

Fishycomics Posted at 9-5 14:35
thought we can only update once.
I will do this with  the wireless so you can see the dad spots

This morning I ran some tests with the camera, mount, and mic while off the helmet. I ended up putting the Camera on +20db and the microphone was picked up every time. I started and stopped the recording in multiple ways probably 10 times.

Then, I rode to work. The microphone worked well the entire time, but the gain was a little high, so I turned the camera back on to adjust the gain down to +18db for my commute home.

Even after the microphone had worked multiple times, when i turned on the camera to make the gain adjustment, the microphone did not register. I gave the about 10 second to work it out. . . nothing.

Then, with the camera still on, I pulled the USB plug and pushed it back in. The camera noticed the mic and I was able to make the gain adjustment.

The fact that this is not working every time still has me worried. I thought I had found the magic combination needed to solve this problem, but I guess not. On the motorcycle, at speed, I can only spare one hand to hit the record button and then only for a few moments. The recording device MUST work 100% every time. So far, the OA4 is not 100%.

I'll test again at +18db on my commute home. If the mic gets noticed by the camera
2023-9-6
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

GrimmCreations Posted at 9-6 08:19
This morning I ran some tests with the camera, mount, and mic while off the helmet. I ended up putting the Camera on +20db and the microphone was picked up every time. I started and stopped the recording in multiple ways probably 10 times.

Then, I rode to work. The microphone worked well the entire time, but the gain was a little high, so I turned the camera back on to adjust the gain down to +18db for my commute home.

sorry to hear the failure,  the neck/shaft of the USB is 100% in with no looseness at all. no pins    wit hany    dirt, etc. hope the issue can be  resolved
2023-9-6
Use props
djiuser_plYHkuuH7Dzw
New
United States

Thank you for making such a good review video. The only issue that I have with the review is that you mentioned nothing about the still camera quality. No one seems to talk about that. I was disheartened that DJI made the Action 4 with only 10 mega pixels. Since I do both still pictures and video I was hoping to see a much higher mega pixel amount. The GoPro Hero 12 Black has 27 mega pixels and a one inch sensor. Until DJI improves a camera in this way I can't see buying another one for my needs.
2023-9-7
Use props
GrimmCreations
lvl.1
United States

Fishycomics Posted at 9-6 09:26
sorry to hear the failure,  the neck/shaft of the USB is 100% in with no looseness at all. no pins    wit hany    dirt, etc. hope the issue can be  resolved

I landed on the same train of thought about the same time you did. What if there were loose connections? I pulled my 90 degree adapter out of the mix just to limit connections, plugged the mic into the camera directly and thought I had found a solution. The mic worked on my commute home. The, this morning, with no change, except that I unplugged the mic to offload the day's video, I plugged the mic in and turned the camera on with the power button to adjust the mic gain before riding to work. It was at +18db and was still a little hot. I wanted to try +15db.

The camera did not sense the mic. I unplugged it, plugged it back, in wiggled the cord, out and in again. NOTHING. Then, I turned the camera off and back on - SUCCESS!

I able to adjust the gain and started riding to work. Halfway to work, I turned the camera off and back on again (while at a stop light), and the camera sensed the microphone again.

Just when I thought I had a solution. . .

When I sent the camera back to DJI, they tested and said nothing was wrong. . . There is obviously something wrong. Maybe the female USB-C is not quite right and is intermittent enough to give DJI good readings, but not me?
So, what now? put in another repair ticket or just give up and try to get a refund?
2023-9-7
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I suggest  get with DJI if it is not fixed and have them correct it,  request a new serial model
2023-9-7
Use props
OSCAR CHAILE
New

United Arab Emirates

Hi, I got this action camera few days ago therefore still testing it, however the photos are quite noisy and pixelated. Very bad quality. Videos are just okish.
What could be the reason? As my S22+ takes miles better pictures.
2023-9-28
Use props
zubairrauf
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_vo9oHs3zaKJj Posted at 2023-8-5 09:22
Hi, does the Action 4 has some native ISO for best performance in D-Log M? Thank you

Anyone find an answer to this question?
4-1 07:57
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules