MavicPro3 rediculous file numbering
848 10 2023-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
keithproshoot.co.nz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 465906 ft
New Zealand

Why does the Mavic Pro 3 have rediculously long file names and no option for the professional user 7 characters long only. I am a long time Inspire 2 user and all I want is short numbering such as DJI_001.dng rather than this stupidty DJI_20230802130605_0001_D.dng.
Please give us the option for basic file nunbering.
I use Total Commander program to rename the DJI_ to the customer name and now renaming the files to customer_001.dng has become a tiresome complex operation.

2023-8-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

You might try exploring the REN filename command. Command line renaming is extremely powerful, and can be quite simple to use.
2023-8-4
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, keithproshoot.co.nz. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience.  We'd like you to know that we appreciate your valuable suggestions. We will forward your concern to our related department. All significant suggestions will be implemented after the evaluation of our relevant team. For the latest updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at ( www.dji.com ). Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-8-4
Use props
keithproshoot.co.nz
lvl.1
New Zealand

DJI Gamora Posted at 8-4 17:27
Hi, keithproshoot.co.nz. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience.  We'd like you to know that we appreciate your valuable suggestions. We will forward your concern to our related department. All significant suggestions will be implemented after the evaluation of our relevant team. For the latest updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at ( www.dji.com ). Thank you for your understanding and support.

thank you, I really hope you do give us the standard naming option DJI_001.DNG and also continuous numbering, ie do not reset to 0 when the card is empty..

I really dont want to be messing about with command line renaming tools every time I shoot.
My workflow is the following..
Shoot.
Load images to pc
Use Total Commander program to rename DJI_ to clientname
Then I edit the shoot.
The way it is now is impossible to use this very simple quick reliable repeatable renaming method because the numbers after your prefix are always going to be different and I want to retain the 001.DNG numbering at the end. The other thing please is to give us sequential file numbering, ie to not reset to 001 each time. With the professional drones such as Inspire2.. there is a file numbering option to continue numbering even if there are no files on the SD card.
Many thanks
Keith

2023-8-4
Use props
keithproshoot.co.nz
lvl.1
New Zealand

Geebax Posted at 8-4 15:26
You might try exploring the REN filename command. Command line renaming is extremely powerful, and can be quite simple to use.

thanks Geebax but I dont really want to be messing around with command line tools. Total Commander is a great program and renaming files is easy when its the same DJI_ each time and there are no other characters or numbers before the actual file number ie 001.DNG.. DJI already have this as the numbering process on the Inspire 2, its been there for years and also continuous numbering regardless if there are no files on the sd card
2023-8-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Look at   "Bulk Rename Utility"  you could, for all the appropriate files, set up 'remove from 5 to 18' which would remove "20230802130605", then insert your desired text wherever you wanted, all in the one operation.
2023-8-4
Use props
ArcticPhoto
Second Officer
Norway

keithproshoot.co.nz Posted at 8-4 19:22
thanks Geebax but I dont really want to be messing around with command line tools. Total Commander is a great program and renaming files is easy when its the same DJI_ each time and there are no other characters or numbers before the actual file number ie 001.DNG.. DJI already have this as the numbering process on the Inspire 2, its been there for years and also continuous numbering regardless if there are no files on the sd card

Total Commander can easily multi-rename files the way you want.
For example if your files have that long name like DJI_20230802130605_001.DNG you can in a few seconds rename them all to for example DJI_001.DNG, DJI_002.DNG and so on. The numbering is done automatically from the number you wish with the number of digits of your choice. You can rename hundreds of files in no time.

Total Commander is a fantastic file utility, I have used it since the beginning some 20 years ago, I still have version 1.36 on a 3.5" floppy sent to me by Ghisler himself :-)
It was first called Windows Commander, but a bunch of Microsoft lawyers forced him to stop using the word Windows...

Look at this screenshot where it has automatically renamed the old names to DJI_xxx.DNG

2023-8-5
Use props
keithproshoot.co.nz
lvl.1
New Zealand

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 8-4 19:32
Look at   "Bulk Rename Utility"  you could, for all the appropriate files, set up 'remove from 5 to 18' which would remove "20230802130605", then insert your desired text wherever you wanted, all in the one operation.

thanks Captain, love the way this program works, many thanks for this..
Would still be nice if DJI can apply their original standardised basic naming  across the range as per the Inspire2, Inspire 1, Phantoms etc though but this is a nice simple workaround. The DJI_001.DNG format has been around since the beginning
2023-8-5
Use props
keithproshoot.co.nz
lvl.1
New Zealand

ArcticPhoto Posted at 8-5 00:04
Total Commander can easily multi-rename files the way you want.
For example if your files have that long name like DJI_20230802130605_001.DNG you can in a few seconds rename them all to for example DJI_001.DNG, DJI_002.DNG and so on. The numbering is done automatically from the number you wish with the number of digits of your choice. You can rename hundreds of files in no time.

brilliant thanks for the example!.. I was trying to work it out the other day but was in a frustrated mood that DJI hadnt provided their tried and tested simple naming structure.. will give it a whirl
2023-8-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

keithproshoot.co.nz Posted at 8-4 19:18
thank you, I really hope you do give us the standard naming option DJI_001.DNG and also continuous numbering, ie do not reset to 0 when the card is empty..

I really dont want to be messing about with command line renaming tools every time I shoot.

We understand your concern, Keith, and we're sorry for the inconvenience. Rest assured that it has been forwarded to our relevant team. Have a safe flight always!
2023-8-8
Use props
paulmcmullin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 847713 ft
United Kingdom

Still not sorted after nearly 11 months of complaints
DJI need to take user comments more seriously
4-3 10:48
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now