2632 12 2023-8-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans386d0668
New
Flight distance : 79163 ft
Australia

Hello,
I am interested in purchasing a DJI Action 4 to replace my DJI Pocket 2 for my travel vlogging camera. I found the DJI Pocket 2 to have a FOV that wasn’t wide enough for my liking (even with Wide angle lens installed), and the gimbal was too fragile for backpacking (one drop on the floor and it broke).

Stabilised, wide-angle footage is important to me. I read that Rocksteady on the Action series crops in on the sensor, as does Dewarp. I was wondering if anyone knew the actual FOV of the Action 4 with Rocksteady and/or Dewarp enabled?

Additionally, is the drop in resolution from 4K noticeable with these features enabled?

Thanks.
2023-8-5
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

Same here thinking to replace daily P2 with A4. Easier to sit on surfaces and weather sealed. Also battery swap etc.
2023-8-5
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use the Pocket 2 a lot and also (at the moment) the Action 3. I find the Pocket 2 suits vlogging better because it looks sharper closer up than my A3. Especially when you have anything in the background …. The Action looks as though it’s focused on the background and not you.

I’m receiving the Action 4 on Monday and hoping that this might be better than the 3 in that respect.

Most people here will tell you that the Action 4 is an action cam and not a vlogging camera, although so many examples shown are often vloggy looking. (Like home videos, holidays, boating etc) There are still close ups of people.

First thing I’m going to try is pointing the Action 4 at myself!

The crop from RS is quite significant, but there are levels of R/S.  It's still wider than Pocket 2.

2023-8-5
Use props
fans386d0668
New
Flight distance : 79163 ft
Australia

Iancraig10 Posted at 8-5 06:06
I use the Pocket 2 a lot and also (at the moment) the Action 3. I find the Pocket 2 suits vlogging better because it looks sharper closer up than my A3. Especially when you have anything in the background …. The Action looks as though it’s focused on the background and not you.

I’m receiving the Action 4 on Monday and hoping that this might be better than the 3 in that respect.

That’s interesting information, thank you. Slightly concerning about the focus. Do let me know your verdict on the Action 4 once you’ve got a chance to try it out.
So RS and Dewarp still appear wider than Pocket 2 with wide angle lens?
2023-8-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, fans386d0668. Thank you for reaching out. The frame may be cropped according to the lens or stabilization mode. For example, in "4K/4:3" mode:
1) If the "FOV" is set as "Wide", the DFOV is 155 (with EIS disabled) or 140 (with RockSteady enabled).
2) If the "FOV" is set as "Standard (Dewarp)", the DFOV is 126 (with EIS disabled) or 116 (with RockSteady enabled).
3) If the "FOV" is set as "Ultrawide", the DFOV is 155 (with EIS disabled) or 146 (with RockSteady enabled). For the drop in resolution from 4K, hopefully, other users can provide their insights on that.
2023-8-5
Use props
Helmut Ruch
lvl.3
Germany

DJI Gamora Posted at 8-5 19:46
Hi, fans386d0668. Thank you for reaching out. The frame may be cropped according to the lens or stabilization mode. For example, in "4K/4:3" mode:
1) If the "FOV" is set as "Wide", the DFOV is 155 (with EIS disabled) or 140 (with RockSteady enabled).
2) If the "FOV" is set as "Standard (Dewarp)", the DFOV is 126 (with EIS disabled) or 116 (with RockSteady enabled).

With DWarp and Rocksteady ON from the full FOV of 155° there are left 116° or 75%. The same result I got when I measured the FOV of my Osmo Action 1 with and without Rocksteady and DWarp. That means, that in this mode only 3000 of the 4000 horizontal pixels of the sensor are used for creating the picture. 4K video needs 3840 horizontal pixel. So it seems to me, that in the 4K-Mode of the OA 1 a 3K video is upscaled to 4K. The 3K picture contains about 5 million pixel, the 4K picture about 8.3 million pixel. This results in 40% of the created datastream beeing interpolated data with no real information. So with the OA 1 I got better results when capturing with 2K7, which uses the full datastream, and upscale to 4K when editing the video. If ever.
What about the OA 4? I read that it uses the same sensor geometry as the OA1, 4000x3000 pixel...
2023-8-6
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Helmut Ruch Posted at 8-6 05:31
With DWarp and Rocksteady ON from the full FOV of 155° there are left 116° or 75%. The same result I got when I measured the FOV of my Osmo Action 1 with and without Rocksteady and DWarp. That means, that in this mode only 3000 of the 4000 horizontal pixels of the sensor are used for creating the picture. 4K video needs 3840 horizontal pixel. So it seems to me, that in the 4K-Mode of the OA 1 a 3K video is upscaled to 4K. The 3K picture contains about 5 million pixel, the 4K picture about 8.3 million pixel. This results in 40% of the created datastream beeing interpolated data with no real information. So with the OA 1 I got better results when capturing with 2K7, which uses the full datastream, and upscale to 4K when editing the video. If ever.
What about the OA 4? I read that it uses the same sensor geometry as the OA1, 4000x3000 pixel...

Hi, Helmut. Let me forward your concern to our relevant team to check if there's any information about the Osmo Action 4. We'll get back to you once we receive feedback from them.
2023-8-9
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
China

Helmut Ruch Posted at 8-6 05:31
With DWarp and Rocksteady ON from the full FOV of 155° there are left 116° or 75%. The same result I got when I measured the FOV of my Osmo Action 1 with and without Rocksteady and DWarp. That means, that in this mode only 3000 of the 4000 horizontal pixels of the sensor are used for creating the picture. 4K video needs 3840 horizontal pixel. So it seems to me, that in the 4K-Mode of the OA 1 a 3K video is upscaled to 4K. The 3K picture contains about 5 million pixel, the 4K picture about 8.3 million pixel. This results in 40% of the created datastream beeing interpolated data with no real information. So with the OA 1 I got better results when capturing with 2K7, which uses the full datastream, and upscale to 4K when editing the video. If ever.

Hi Helmut.
A 4K video with eis does need to be upscaled if it comes from the 4K sensor.
OA4 does 3 things better than OA1:
1.the crop ratio of eis has been improved for rs wide 3840 video. (there are lots of technique in both hardware and software, what we achieve is to get the widest eis video in action camera with least crop ratio. )
2.the buildup upscale algorithm is improved.
3. lens resolution is improved.

As result, there is upscale,
but view the footage in 4K, it fits a 4K video look and is obviously better than 2.7K.

For those crop ratio are high, say horizonsteady(20mm) or narrow (24mm), Action4 only provides 2.7k, because it can never upscale to 4K look.
2023-8-11
Use props
fans220af5ee
New
United States

What is the focal length in reference to 35mm sensor of the DJI Action 4 in different modes.  I usually mount my action 3 on camera hotshoe and wish the focal length was a longer (Less wide).

I think GO Pro has tighter field of view options.
1-14 10:21
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

fans220af5ee Posted at 1-14 10:21
What is the focal length in reference to 35mm sensor of the DJI Action 4 in different modes.  I usually mount my action 3 on camera hotshoe and wish the focal length was a longer (Less wide).

I think GO Pro has tighter field of view options.

Hello, there. Thank you for reaching out. Osmo Action 4 uses a pan-focus lens, and thus does not have a "focal length". You can consider the equivalent focal length based on different viewing angles. With EIS disabled:

Narrow: 24 mm
Standard: 14 mm
Wide Camera: 10 mm
Ultra-Wide Camera: 9 m

I hope this information helps. Thank you for your support.
1-19 00:48
Use props
SteezyPops
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-19 00:48
Hello, there. Thank you for reaching out. Osmo Action 4 uses a pan-focus lens, and thus does not have a "focal length". You can consider the equivalent focal length based on different viewing angles. With EIS disabled:

Narrow: 24 mm

Can we get information on the actual native resolution of the sensor? Is it 8 megapixel?
2-13 14:23
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

SteezyPops Posted at 2-13 14:23
Can we get information on the actual native resolution of the sensor? Is it 8 megapixel?

Hello, there. Please allow us to confirm this situation with our relevant team for further checking.
2-15 23:54
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

SteezyPops Posted at 2-13 14:23
Can we get information on the actual native resolution of the sensor? Is it 8 megapixel?

Hi, there. Thank you for your patience. Please be advised that we've sent you a direct message related to this query. Kindly feel free to keep us posted if you have further queries.
2-20 01:35
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules