Sadly OA4 is overheating much like the GP11 reportedly does...
1181 9 2023-8-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OVS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 78842 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My OA4 (on the latest firmware) overheated in overcast weather (no direct sunlight during the recording) at around 22C (NOT hot) after 25min in 4k50 4:3.

OA4 overheating

OA4 overheating

Also this youtuber had a similar experience while comparing the OA3 to the OA4 while walking around...

2023-8-9
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hello there. Thank you for reaching out. Osmo Action 4 inevitably dissipates heat when processing such a large amount of data in a short period of time, which is an irresistible physical law. The camera was designed with special attention to the heat dissipation issue. To ensure the normal performance of the camera, the internal heat is designed to be conducted to the lens cover, front and rear screens, and body itself through heat sinks and silicone grease. Additionally, strict tests have been made to ensure that the camera temperature is within a reasonable range during long-term recording. Osmo Action 4 focuses on sports scenarios such as skiing, diving, and cycling, where wind can assist the camera in heat dissipation when recording videos with a high resolution or frame rate, which, thereby, makes it possible to record longer videos. If you mainly use it to record your daily life or activities, we recommend you record at 1080p@30fps, as 1080p@30fps is currently the mainstream video format online, and it can also reduce your storage space and facilitate your editing afterward. Have a great day ahead.
2023-8-9
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Action 4 is showing significantly more detail in the small bits behind, like leaves and outline detail than the 3. That’s the slightly fuzzy feeling I got with my 3.

The first thing I noticed with my Action 4 was heat starting to build up pretty quickly from switch on. I did feel that might be an issue for some.
2023-8-10
Use props
Corinne.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6555 ft
China

You can check this article, it helps a lot. https://www.camforpro.com/blog/d ... berhitzung-stoppen/
2023-8-10
Use props
Dale 68
Second Officer
Flight distance : 338468 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I found turning the front screen off helped as I don't need it for vlogging.
2023-8-10
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use one screen at a time as well.
2023-8-10
Use props
OVS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 78842 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Tony Posted at 8-9 21:53
Hello there. Thank you for reaching out. Osmo Action 4 inevitably dissipates heat when processing such a large amount of data in a short period of time, which is an irresistible physical law. The camera was designed with special attention to the heat dissipation issue. To ensure the normal performance of the camera, the internal heat is designed to be conducted to the lens cover, front and rear screens, and body itself through heat sinks and silicone grease. Additionally, strict tests have been made to ensure that the camera temperature is within a reasonable range during long-term recording. Osmo Action 4 focuses on sports scenarios such as skiing, diving, and cycling, where wind can assist the camera in heat dissipation when recording videos with a high resolution or frame rate, which, thereby, makes it possible to record longer videos. If you mainly use it to record your daily life or activities, we recommend you record at 1080p@30fps, as 1080p@30fps is currently the mainstream video format online, and it can also reduce your storage space and facilitate your editing afterward. Have a great day ahead.

It seems different some OA4 units can overheat quicker than others even in hotter temperatures...

2023-8-10
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Question is hte camera overheating because of the Weather, or is it overheating because of the settings?
2023-8-10
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I used it yesterday to vlog. It was switched on for around 2 to 3 hours. The screen remained on for that time and I stopped and started videoing all of the time. No heat build up at all which surprised me. 4K 60 too.

At one point in that video where he is skate boarding along a beach, the Action 4 looks very dull and underexposed. That must be the different way that this camera exposes. It seems to try to make sure that highlights are intact and could account for the 'dull screen' issue that another poster mentioned in a different thread.
2023-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules