788 12 2023-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SkyCryer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1584596 ft
  • >>>
Germany

So i did a lot of test in the last months since i got my M3Pro on release day. Still having problems with the video and photo quality. Phots have very strong chromatic abberation problems but that is a different topic.

Today i want to ask about the video prolbem i have. I record everything in manuel setting with ISO 100, manual WB and at 25FPS because i am in Germany. My TVs and Monitors are all set to 50 hz. I see stuttering and flickering in most video files changffing for the used cameras only. So it looks like the 7x is creating more problems then the 1x. Also the sharpness, i use manual focus with red border visible to see that, is different on 1x,3x and 7x. 1x is mostly sharp but 7x is the blurriest one i would say.

I read about the flickering in the trees that it is a known issue with DJI drones, not sure about that.

I also tought maybe it is a preview problem so i edited them in 25fps timeline in Davinci Resolve and uploaded it also to youtube. But also there i can see flickering and stuttering.

I uploaded all the raw files and the edited files before uploading to youtube here

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1PApfOG51qsMYoO2JCHQ9wwn1pwTWfN-O?usp=share_link

Unfortunattly i am not sure anymore wich files was recorded with wich camera, not sure if you can see that somewhere in the metadata.

Do i maybe do something wronmg with the recording or while replay/edit? Or is my drone the problem? I had an M2Pro for some years and never had this flickering and stuttering in videos so it should be the same.

I checked the videos on my TV (50hz) and my Computer (50 hz) with different hard stuttering/flickering.

I also have other problems like mentioned in the beginning, very strong chromatic abberation and hyperlapse waypoint mode (not the video waypoint mode) forgetting often the set height for the waypoints. So i set waypoints, start every time from same point/height but a few days later it does not work anymore. Because it is more the 50m height off, so not working anymore.
But i will wait for the video topic first before i check the other things also.

On Iphone 11 display and Macbook display it looks fine, no stuttering, but on external display attached to same macbook is shows stuttering.

2023-8-14
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Most of that video looks absolutely fine, clear and smooth, on my powerful laptop at full screen. Just the bit where you pan vertically over the field of sheep looks rather jerky. Maybe a slower panning speed would overcome that. And maybe record at 50FPS.
2023-8-14
Use props
SkyCryer
lvl.3
  • >>>
Germany

Blériot53 Posted at 8-14 02:26
Most of that video looks absolutely fine, clear and smooth, on my powerful laptop at full screen. Just the bit where you pan vertically over the field of sheep looks rather jerky. Maybe a slower panning speed would overcome that. And maybe record at 50FPS.

I watched them on Macbook with M1 Pro so powerful enough also I think, so why do I get a lot of stuttering?. But with 50 fps I would also lower the bitrate.
2023-8-14
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SkyCryer Posted at 8-14 04:59
I watched them on Macbook with M1 Pro so powerful enough also I think, so why do I get a lot of stuttering?. But with 50 fps I would also lower the bitrate.

Let's see if anyone else can give you more feedback.
2023-8-14
Use props
Ross14
Second Officer
Czechia

The recording also appears to me to be smooth (desktop PC) except for the mentioned sheep, there the jerking when shifting is really noticeable. Beautiful nature.
2023-8-14
Use props
SkyCryer
lvl.3
  • >>>
Germany

Ross14 Posted at 8-14 05:40
The recording also appears to me to be smooth (desktop PC) except for the mentioned sheep, there the jerking when shifting is really noticeable. Beautiful nature.

You also watching on 50hz Monitor/Display? And no flickering in the trees visible? Or stuttering like on my screen recordings?
2023-8-14
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ok, so 25fps gives that 'film' look where the stuttering actually makes it feel like a film. Shooting at 50fps will be very smooth and can feel wrong in some instances.

However, you've told us plenty about the settings, but not the shutter speed you used. If you're filming at 25fps, you really need to be shooting at 1/50 shutter to allow for a smooth motion between each frame. If you shoot at a faster shutter speed then the frame to frame movement will be very harsh.
2023-8-14
Use props
SkyCryer
lvl.3
  • >>>
Germany

CloudVisual Posted at 8-14 05:56
Ok, so 25fps gives that 'film' look where the stuttering actually makes it feel like a film. Shooting at 50fps will be very smooth and can feel wrong in some instances.

However, you've told us plenty about the settings, but not the shutter speed you used. If you're filming at 25fps, you really need to be shooting at 1/50 shutter to allow for a smooth motion between each frame. If you shoot at a faster shutter speed then the frame to frame movement will be very harsh.

you are right, I film at 25fps with 1/50 shutter speed. Or 50 with 1/100. But that should be more a problem with motion blur then stuttering or not? And the film look is 24fps not 25 as far as I know, 25fps is normal in Germany.
2023-8-14
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SkyCryer Posted at 8-14 05:58
you are right, I film at 25fps with 1/50 shutter speed. Or 50 with 1/100. But that should be more a problem with motion blur then stuttering or not? And the film look is 24fps not 25 as far as I know, 25fps is normal in Germany.

24 or 25FPS is enough to give a film look. I've shot both frame rates for productions, it depends which country the film is being originally shown in.

At least you're following the 180 rule. I can't offer much more advice than this.
2023-8-14
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

Whatever the framerate is, there's a limit on how fast the scene can move in the frame. The next frame needs to be close enough to the last frame to create the illusion of smooth motion. Too much difference and it will stutter, even with an ND filter and slower shutter speed. The only parts of your video that stutter are when the scene is moving too fast through the frame, so all you need to do is slow down the movements.
2023-8-14
Use props
Ross14
Second Officer
Czechia

SkyCryer Posted at 8-14 05:49
You also watching on 50hz Monitor/Display? And no flickering in the trees visible? Or stuttering like on my screen recordings?

Sorry, my monitor works a little higher (see picture below) ... so useless information from my side

2023-8-14
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Sorry for the inconvenience. I will get this referred to our relevant team for checking. I will get back to you once I receive a reply. Have a great day ahead.
2023-8-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

A bit late to the party, but fortunately you are not experiencing something 'new'.
This is NOT DJI related, but it is how all camera's work.
When there is very steady movement, you will always have the risk of judder, stutter or however you want to call this.
You can do certain things to minimize the risk, but there is always a risk.
Read up on prevent judder video and you will get a lot of tips.
I found this video very helpful.
It's long and a bit boring, but explains it very well. (click on the link, the owner has disabled viewing on other platforms, but the video is available)

And PS, lovely footage!
2023-10-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules