VPS sensor disable
1305 15 2023-8-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
relaxosmo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 180604 ft
Hungary

For scientific reasons i have to place a 3rd party camera to the bottom of my Mini 3 (not pro!) and that will cover the landing sensors.Can i still fly safely?I have 10+ years experience controlling my diy drones, no problem, but want to make sure, no flyaway is possible because of this, right?
Anybody tried that in real situation? GPS function, like position hold and return to home will still work?
Only landing will be much trickier? Or drone will stop motors when i'm high and push throttle to zero??

Any official answer?
Thank you!

2023-8-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We do not recommend installing a third-party camera or accessories on the unit as we cannot promise its performance, the compatibility of accessories may affect the flight performance and functions of the aircraft. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-8-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

For scientific reasons i have to place a 3rd party camera to the bottom of my Mini 3 (not pro!) and that will cover the landing sensors.Can i still fly safely?I have 10+ years experience controlling my diy drones, no problem, but want to make sure, no flyaway is possible because of this
No flyaway?
Your drone won't flyaway.
But if the VPS is blocked, the drone will commence landing any time you hold the left stick down for two seconds.
2023-8-19
Use props
relaxosmo
lvl.4
Hungary

Thanks, so i will be careful when going down.

DJI Paladin: thanks, but i already tested this cam on top of the drone, no issues, fly very well. My question was mainly on flyaway. Can you confirm tape the down sensor wont result in flyaway?

2023-8-20
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Without the camera attached,  I would suggest you try taping over the sensors then, in a safe and wide open space - with GOOD GPS, at a height of around 1.5m to 2m, fly a more or less low hover, and see how the drone behaves.
Stay low and close and experiment a bit, if no problem occurs add a little height and see what happens in a 'sustained' descent. Just remember that with GPS only position holding the drone will, low down, drift more than it does when it has  VPS position holding.
2023-8-20
Use props
relaxosmo
lvl.4
Hungary

yes. no problem with gps only position hold, used many years with my diy quads before. will test m3 today.

thanks
2023-8-20
Use props
relaxosmo
lvl.4
Hungary

Labroides:
yes, when i push throttle to zero for 2sec, app says landing. but if this happen say at 50m height, motor wont stop because height value from baro sensor still indicate it is descending, right?
2023-8-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

relaxosmo Posted at 8-20 03:55
Labroides:
yes, when i push throttle to zero for 2sec, app says landing. but if this happen say at 50m height, motor wont stop because height value from baro sensor still indicate it is descending, right?

My question was mainly on flyaway. Can you confirm tape the down sensor wont result in flyaway?
Flyaway? ... there's no such thing.
Blocking the VPS won't cause your drone to fly uncontrollably

That's correct, but you might have to put up with a very slow descent which could be a problem if you are a long way up.
Recommend testing from 50 ft before you go high.
2023-8-20
Use props
relaxosmo
lvl.4
Hungary

yes. i cannot descend fast. not at all or landing, just tested now. bigger problem is that m3 want to raise in every 2-3 sec
goes higher and higher with throttle stick in center. i taped the sensor correctly.
why is that?
2023-8-20
Use props
relaxosmo
lvl.4
Hungary

yepp. thats why i worried about flyaway.
so no flyaway "just" slow ascending.. not good.  and no fast descend either.
not usable..

DJI please make it possible to switch off these sensors in fly app!!
2023-8-20
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

relaxosmo Posted at 8-20 03:55
....... motor wont stop because height value from baro sensor still indicate it is descending, right?

Actually I would say the drone WILL NOT stop its motors because it senses it is STILL MOVING rather than just descending.

But for the fact that the Mini 3 Pro is prone to overheating if switched on and not flying-free, you could test this by hand HOLDING the drone and starting the motors, move your hand, and keep moving it, then close the throttle and hold it closed. I think you would find that
a) the drone will 'fight you'
and
b ) the motors will not stop UNTIL you hold your hand still.

If the emergency motor stop option is set to "Emergency Only" the same thing applies the the CSC  if the drone is airborne.
With the drone in the air and using the CSC position, you wont be able to stop the drone's motors if the option is set to "Emergency Only", the drone will just descend in a controlled helix.
The emergency motor stop option needs to be set to "Anytime" or "Always" for you to be able to stop the drone's motors in mid-air but the delay period is probably too short for that to be safe for routine flying.
2023-8-20
Use props
relaxosmo
lvl.4
Hungary

Yes, i tested, it doesnt stop motors, just descend slow, very slowly. When its in my hand, motor stops. Perfect.
Yes, i already set motor stop to "Anytime" to be sure, i cannot have flyaway at all

The biggest problem is the continuous  ascending, and no quicker descending.

But we talk about Mini3, not pro!
2023-8-20
Use props
relaxosmo
lvl.4
Hungary

Hmm, my Mini2 is different!
It doesn't want to climb with taped sensor and i can descend quickly too. Perfect!
Why mini3 doesn't??
2023-8-24
Use props
relaxosmo
lvl.4
Hungary

DJI Paladin?
2023-9-2
Use props
relaxosmo
lvl.4
Hungary

What about mini 3 pro? Does it behave 100% the same as mini3? So slow ascending in center throttle position?
No way to disable VPS sensor? With assistant?
2023-12-8
Use props
relaxosmo
lvl.4
Hungary

So Mini4 has this feature now, while we requested for Mini3
2023-12-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules