Device not bound error / Corrupt files
843 17 2023-8-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sir Jackington
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Having a bit of a nightmare here. Been out all day producing for a film. When I first started using the drone it came up with an error never seen before, something along the lines of 'Connected device not bound to aircraft, can only be flown 5 more times'. I was puzzled but then the error message disappeared and all started working as usual - or so I thought...

Since getting home all the footage from the day is somehow corrupted. It works in VLC but not in anything Windows and most importantly wont import into Resolve. VLC will convert it, but it seems to be losing about a third or less of the data regardless of my export settings. Convertig the raw file doesn't fix the corruption.

Is this an SD issue or a drone issue? Can anyone at DJI help me recover my footage? I'm absolutely despondent. I've finally got going with my projects and now this...
2023-8-20
Use props
Rej
lvl.4
Flight distance : 279692 ft
Canada

Don't know how to resolve your video hiccup but the msg about only being able to use 5 more times will remain until you re-bind RC controller and mini 3 back together.
2023-8-20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Sir Jackington. Thank you for reaching out. For the bound error, please follow Rej's recommendation above. For the corrupted files, regretfully, we don't have a way to recover them but we suggest using one of the Recommended microSD Cards and check if the issue persists. Please see the list below:
2023-8-20
Use props
Sir Jackington
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 8-20 18:02
Hi, Sir Jackington. Thank you for reaching out. For the bound error, please follow Rej's recommendation above. For the corrupted files, regretfully, we don't have a way to recover them but we suggest using one of the Recommended microSD Cards and check if the issue persists. Please see the list below:
[view_image]

Thanks for the response. Im currently using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB so it's not the brand.

The problem is, I've been using this drone for months since new, and it's never had a problem like this. Now it does out of the blue, corrupts all my footage, and the suggestion is to re-bind? I didnt have that option as the error message disappeared and never returned in the whole day of shooting.
2023-8-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Sir Jackington Posted at 8-20 22:03
Thanks for the response. Im currently using a Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB so it's not the brand.

The problem is, I've been using this drone for months since new, and it's never had a problem like this. Now it does out of the blue, corrupts all my footage, and the suggestion is to re-bind? I didnt have that option as the error message disappeared and never returned in the whole day of shooting.

Now it does out of the blue, corrupts all my footage, and the suggestion is to re-bind?
Two completely different, unrelated issues.
If the video plays perfectly in VLC but not in another program, that's just due to having changed something in the settings that your other program doesn't support.
It's probably something simple like you were previously shooting with H246 and now are using H265?

Re binding ... have you ever bound the drone to your controller?
It's telling you that you need to do that.

2023-8-21
Use props
Sir Jackington
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 8-21 01:41
Now it does out of the blue, corrupts all my footage, and the suggestion is to re-bind?
Two completely different, unrelated issues.
If the video plays perfectly in VLC but not in another program, that's just due to having changed something in the settings that your other program doesn't support.
I linked the two when I bought it and never had an issue in many many flights.

I suppose it could be a coincidence, but it seems odd that the controller/drone acted very odd, came up with an error that then disappeared, and from that exact moment all the files were corrupt...

In terms of changing settings, i've used everything from D-Cinelike and H.265 and edited many movies with a variety of settings. Its definitely not a setting issue. VLC is known to play corrupted files when other programs refuse, so VLC playing does not indicate nothing is wrong. Resolve doesnt even see the files in its media bay when i go to the system folder...
2023-8-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Sir Jackington Posted at 8-21 04:26
I linked the two when I bought it and never had an issue in many many flights.

I suppose it could be a coincidence, but it seems odd that the controller/drone acted very odd, came up with an error that then disappeared, and from that exact moment all the files were corrupt...

You are talking about two completely separate systems.
The controller binding is 100% unrelated to the camera recording video files.

VLC is known to play corrupted files when other programs refuse, so VLC playing does not indicate nothing is wrong. Resolve doesnt even see the files in its media bay when i go to the system folder...
I really can't see how a file can be corrupted if VLC plays it properly.
It's very common for users to claim that their video files are corrupted, but it very rare that the files are actually corrupt.

2023-8-21
Use props
Sir Jackington
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 8-21 07:09
You are talking about two completely separate systems.
The controller binding is 100% unrelated to the camera recording video files.

I appreciate that they are two separate systems, but why would my first ever DJI error occur when my first ever DJI corruption occur? I bought the drone from new, they have been paired ever since. Why would it unpair? I can't say, but for it to be a coincidence after so many flights seems more far fetched to me than saying it's unrelated.

In terms of corruption, I'm not saying all the data isn't there but clearly the files are damaged in some way. I have uploaded a small file from the day of shooting, you're welcome to take a look at it and see if you can get it running. Even Onedrive won't play it, but VLC and Videopad (Free editor) will. It's certainly baffling, and incredibly frustrating that DJI have essentially said I'm on my own with this.

File download: https://1drv.ms/v/s!ArcEEjNMy0cmbq9xSnZv_mDYLRI?e=a9eY5j
2023-8-22
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

Files are obviously corrupted. Since VLC is able to play them (tried your sample), you can try fixing them with Untrunc: https://github.com/anthwlock/untrunc/releases
2023-8-22
Use props
Sir Jackington
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Tuxtard Posted at 8-22 05:08
Files are obviously corrupted. Since VLC is able to play them (tried your sample), you can try fixing them with Untrunc: https://github.com/anthwlock/untrunc/releases

Thanks for looking at my file. I tried Untrunc just now but I just get green screen in the saved file? It mentioned something about a missing codec too.  
2023-8-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Sir Jackington Posted at 8-22 04:39
I appreciate that they are two separate systems, but why would my first ever DJI error occur when my first ever DJI corruption occur? I bought the drone from new, they have been paired ever since. Why would it unpair? I can't say, but for it to be a coincidence after so many flights seems more far fetched to me than saying it's unrelated.

In terms of corruption, I'm not saying all the data isn't there but clearly the files are damaged in some way. I have uploaded a small file from the day of shooting, you're welcome to take a look at it and see if you can get it running. Even Onedrive won't play it, but VLC and Videopad (Free editor) will. It's certainly baffling, and incredibly frustrating that DJI have essentially said I'm on my own with this.

why would my first ever DJI error occur when my first ever DJI corruption occur?
It's called coincidence.
That incident A happened at the same time as incident B does not indicate that A caused B or that there was any relation.

In terms of corruption, I'm not saying all the data isn't there but clearly the files are damaged in some way.
That the file plays perfectly in VLC indicates that the file is fine (otherwise VLC wouldn't be able to play it).
VLC is famous because it plays just about any kind of video file, while many other video players don't.
That's because VLC has more resources than many basic video players.

Your missing codec message is the program telling you that it doesn't have whatever is necessary to play that type of video (but VLC does).
Something has changed in your video settings so that you are not recording in bog-standard basic video settings.
Investigate your video settings and change them back or reset your camera parameters to change them back to original factory condition.

2023-8-22
Use props
Rej
lvl.4
Canada

Sir Jackington Posted at 8-22 04:39

In terms of corruption, I'm not saying all the data isn't there but clearly the files are damaged in some way. I have uploaded a small file from the day of shooting, you're welcome to take a look at it and see if you can get it running. Even Onedrive won't play it, but VLC and Videopad (Free editor) will. It's certainly baffling, and incredibly frustrating that DJI have essentially said I'm on my own with this.

I don't utilize OneDrive, thus unable to download. Could you please take a screen capture of the codec data as you play it via VLC, just pause the video then access media info(as per my sample pictures below)
2023-8-22
Use props
Sir Jackington
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Rej Posted at 8-22 15:20
I don't utilize OneDrive, thus unable to download. Could you please take a screen capture of the codec data as you play it via VLC, just pause the video then access media info(as per my sample pictures below)[view_image][view_image]

Onedrive shouldn't need a log-in I don't think just to download from that link? Here's the codec info.
2023-8-23
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

Sir Jackington Posted at 8-22 07:59
Thanks for looking at my file. I tried Untrunc just now but I just get green screen in the saved file? It mentioned something about a missing codec too.

Untrunc requires uncorrupted file recorded with the same settings as a corrupted one to be supplied during the process. Have you supplied Untrunc with uncorrupted file recorded with same device and same resolution, FPS and codec?
2023-8-23
Use props
Sir Jackington
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Tuxtard Posted at 8-23 05:36
Untrunc requires uncorrupted file recorded with the same settings as a corrupted one to be supplied during the process. Have you supplied Untrunc with uncorrupted file recorded with same device and same resolution, FPS and codec?

I double checked and actually my sample file was in H.265 whereas my latest shoot was in H.264. I don't currently have a D-Cinelike file in H.264. I suppose I could try and record one and see if that works better.
2023-8-23
Use props
Sir Jackington
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Tuxtard Posted at 8-23 05:36

OK I have cracked the nut! I switched the drone into H.265 and recorded in D-cinelike, works fine on my PC. I switched it back into H.264 D-Cinelike and it appears 'corrupted' like my shoot the other day. If I change it to H.264 Normal it works, I changed it back to H.264 D-Cinelike, same 'corrupted' appearance.

So it appears to either be a codec compatibility issue as Labroides said, or it's just corrupting files in that format. I only realise now when looking for a sample file that D-Cinelike in H.264 is something I've not shot before, literally every other combination but not that.

I often shoot in H.264 in 10-bit V-Log on my Panasonic EVA1 and have no issues with that, so why would my PC not play these files? 10 bit H.264 is not exactly an unusual format?
2023-8-23
Use props
Sir Jackington
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 8-20 18:02
[view_image]

Hi Gamora,

There seems to be some sort of major compatibility issue with H.264 Cinelike. I have found several threads from last year where multiple people are describing the same issue (H.264 D-Cinelike not playing in Windows or importing into Resolve but H.265 D-Cinelike does import and works fine).

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=265634
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=265354
https://greyarro.ws/t/dji-dcinel ... ompatible--1323379/
https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... ideo-issues.136744/
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.c ... p?f=21&t=166242

Do you have any suggestions as to what would be causing this and a plan to fix it?

2023-8-23
Use props
Rej
lvl.4
Canada

Sir Jackington Posted at 8-23 03:00
[view_image]

Onedrive shouldn't need a log-in I don't think just to download from that link? Here's the codec info.

Could you try disabling subtitles within the RC controller's camera setting and then head out for a quick flight with H264 and D-Cinelike to see what your outcome will be, I have it disabled on my end (less demand on airborne video processing).   I have done several D-Cinelike but all in H265; weather to bad here to go a test D-Cinelike with H264.
2023-8-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules