2182 40 2023-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_mr01nY45iKii
lvl.3
Flight distance : 44327 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Hi everyone!I want to ask. I just bought the DJI air 3 and I can't figure out how to turn on the bottom light. is there a way does anyone know?
2023-8-25
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Is Greece in the EU? If so, by law, it is automatic.
2023-8-25
Use props
djiuser_mr01nY45iKii
lvl.3
  • >>>
Greece

Thanks for your answer. yes, Greece is in the EU. when we say automatic what do we mean? will it turn on automatically; and if so, how will this be done? on the air 2 I had, it turned on with programming from the fn key and it was ideal.
2023-8-25
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Page 55 of the user manual. Except in the EU, from my understanding, the pilot will not have the ability to turn on/off manually as per the rules there.
2023-8-25
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

djiuser_mr01nY45iKii Posted at 8-25 07:58
Thanks for your answer. yes, Greece is in the EU. when we say automatic what do we mean? will it turn on automatically; and if so, how will this be done? on the air 2 I had, it turned on with programming from the fn key and it was ideal.

The Auxillary light will come at dusk or whenever daylight drops enough to warrant.
2023-8-25
Use props
djiuser_mr01nY45iKii
lvl.3
  • >>>
Greece

Understood. whenever it automatically lights up at night during the descent of the drone. I think it's not that useful to be automatic. I would have preferred it to be manual like the older drones. thank you for your help!
2023-8-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. In relation to the EU rules and regulations, there is no Auxiliary LED option in the DJI Fly app since the auxiliary bottom light is set to "Auto" by default which cannot be set by the users. Hope this helps. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-8-25
Use props
fans6b590481
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2065594 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Paladin Posted at 8-25 16:35
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. In relation to the EU rules and regulations, there is no Auxiliary LED option in the DJI Fly app since the auxiliary bottom light is set to "Auto" by default which cannot be set by the users. Hope this helps. Thank you for your valued support.

Hello Paladin, is this also the case for the Auto setting on the front led lights? Since i am back in the Netherlands i can’t find any option for setting the bottom and front lights to auto.

Thanks
2023-8-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_mr01nY45iKii Posted at 8-25 12:12
Understood. whenever it automatically lights up at night during the descent of the drone. I think it's not that useful to be automatic. I would have preferred it to be manual like the older drones. thank you for your help!

Sadly this is down to EU law on the the bottom light,  its out of DJIs control if they want to sell the product in the EU.   
2023-8-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

fans6b590481 Posted at 8-26 00:25
Hello Paladin, is this also the case for the Auto setting on the front led lights? Since i am back in the Netherlands i can’t find any option for setting the bottom and front lights to auto.

Thanks

Thank you for your response. You cannot turn the DJI Mini 3 Pro aircraft front arm LEDs on/off in the DJI fly app. The front arm LEDs will automatically turn off when the aircraft is recording. Hope this helps. Thank you.
2023-8-27
Use props
begi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 394865 ft

Sweden

DJI Paladin Posted at 8-25 16:35

Hi !
I have read the EU regulation, and what I can see regarding lights on class C1 drones is the following:

Document 32020R1058
Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020/1058 of 27 April 2020 amending Delegated Regulation (EU) 2019/945 as regards the introduction of two new unmanned aircraft systems classes
C/2020/1991
OJ L 232, 20.7.2020, p. 1–27 (BG, ES, CS, DA, DE, ET, EL, EN, FR, HR, IT, LV, LT, HU, MT, NL, PL, PT, RO, SK, SL, FI, SV)
In force
ELI: http://data.europa.eu/eli/reg_del/2020/1058/oj

(16)be equipped:
(a) with lights for the purpose of controllability of the UA; and
(b)with at least one green flashing light for the purpose of conspicuity of the UA at night to allow a
    person on the ground to distinguish the UA from a manned aircraft;

I cant see that turning off or on light on a drone violates EU: regulations except possibly for a flashing green light.

As it is now, I cannot do a full function check on the drone before flight
2023-9-22
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

begi Posted at 9-22 10:46
Hi !
I have read the EU regulation, and what I can see regarding lights on class C1 drones is the following:

Thank you for your response. We will coordinate this with the relevant team for attention. We appreciate your understanding and support.
2023-9-24
Use props
begi
lvl.2

Sweden

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-24 00:25
Thank you for your response. We will coordinate this with the relevant team for attention. We appreciate your understanding and support.

Hello !
I would appreciate feedback on the matter, if there will be any change, and if not, where in the EU regulations does it say that the operator himself should not be able to turn on and off the light on a drone.
I will be acquiring a number of drones for various missions, and the DJI 3 Air is great for this, but not unless there is an option for the operator to turn the lights on and off themselves, I need to know, because if not I'll have to look for a other brand, where that function is available.
2023-10-4
Use props
flying-coyotus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 105249 ft
France

I'm in UE and in UE it is disabled by UE law...
2023-10-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

begi Posted at 10-4 13:30
Hello !
I would appreciate feedback on the matter, if there will be any change, and if not, where in the EU regulations does it say that the operator himself should not be able to turn on and off the light on a drone.
I will be acquiring a number of drones for various missions, and the DJI 3 Air is great for this, but not unless there is an option for the operator to turn the lights on and off themselves, I need to know, because if not I'll have to look for a other brand, where that function is available.

Sorry for the late response. When using the DJI Air 3 in EU which is included on the C1 certification. We have confirmed the following details:

1. The auxiliary bottom light is set to "Auto" by default, which cannot be set by users. So there is no "Auxiliary LED" option in the DJI Fly App.
2. The front LEDs are turned on by default, which cannot be set by users. So there is no "Aircraft Front Arm LEDs" option in the DJI Fly App.

For more information, you may visit this link https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... -for-mavic-3-series . Thank you for your understanding.
2023-10-6
Use props
begi
lvl.2

Sweden

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-6 06:24
Sorry for the late response. When using the DJI Air 3 in EU which is included on the C1 certification. We have confirmed the following details:

1. The auxiliary bottom light is set to "Auto" by default, which cannot be set by users. So there is no "Auxiliary LED" option in the DJI Fly App.

Hello !
You have not answered the question. You only refer to your own page. If what you now claim is correct, please refer to where in the EU regulations it is stated. I have not yet found where in the EU the regulations that prove your claim. I've also asked the question to other manufacturers today, so I'll probably get an answer from them soon.
2023-10-10
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

begi Posted at 10-10 07:10
Hello !
You have not answered the question. You only refer to your own page. If what you now claim is correct, please refer to where in the EU regulations it is stated. I have not yet found where in the EU the regulations that prove your claim. I've also asked the question to other manufacturers today, so I'll probably get an answer from them soon.

I wish I knew more about EASA regulations. I've been on their website, but it's a lot like our FAA website and hard to find what you are looking for specifically. I feel lucky to know what little I do about the ever expanding rules and regulations we have here lol. You might consider sending your question to the EASA. I hope you find your answer though!!
2023-10-11
Use props
begi
lvl.2

Sweden

JodyB Posted at 10-11 05:50
I wish I knew more about EASA regulations. I've been on their website, but it's a lot like our FAA website and hard to find what you are looking for specifically. I feel lucky to know what little I do about the ever expanding rules and regulations we have here lol. You might consider sending your question to the EASA. I hope you find your answer though!!

Hi !
I have found the EU dokument and its here: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/eli/reg_del/2020/1058/oj.
And there you can find the "Requirements for a class C0-C6 Unmanned aircraft system"
In my previous posts, only lighting is mentioned for C1 as follows.

(16)
be equipped:
(a)
with lights for the purpose of controllability of the UA; and
(b)
with at least one green flashing light for the purpose of conspicuity of the UA at night to allow a person on the ground to distinguish the UA from a manned aircraft;

And if you do not do this, you do not meet the classification. Under point a, it is assumed that the operator can control the lighting with the aim of controlling the drone. If this cannot be done, the classification is not met.
I am looking for an answer from the manufacturer, what they refer to, to limit the operator to regulate the lighting. I haven't been able to find anything.

2023-10-11
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

begi Posted at 10-11 10:47
Hi !
I have found the EU dokument and its here: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/eli/reg_del/2020/1058/oj.
And there you can find the "Requirements for a class C0-C6 Unmanned aircraft system"

That is what I read while I was on the EASA website, but didn't know how that applied to the air 3 or even if it did, aside from the green flashing light that is.
2023-10-11
Use props
begi
lvl.2

Sweden

JodyB Posted at 10-11 10:52
That is what I read while I was on the EASA website, but didn't know how that applied to the air 3 or even if it did, aside from the green flashing light that is.

DJI has blocked the ability for the operator to turn lights on and off drones, in the EU. This on several of their drones and also on the AIR 3
2023-10-11
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

begi Posted at 10-11 11:13
DJI has blocked the ability for the operator to turn lights on and off drones, in the EU. This on several of their drones and also on the AIR 3

It's the same way here in the states. It will only turn itself on at night and then once its so far up in the air, it turns off. Only to turn back on when coming in for a landing at a certain height as well.
2023-10-11
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

JodyB Posted at 10-11 11:59
It's the same way here in the states. It will only turn itself on at night and then once its so far up in the air, it turns off. Only to turn back on when coming in for a landing at a certain height as well.

Not true for my Air 2s and Mavic 3 Classic. I have full control over the landing light.
2023-10-11
Use props
begi
lvl.2

Sweden

Mobilehomer Posted at 10-11 12:51
Not true for my Air 2s and Mavic 3 Classic. I have full control over the landing light.

https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... -for-mavic-3-series

What we are talking about here are C-certified drones.
2023-10-11
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

begi Posted at 10-11 13:20
https://www.dji.com/newsroom/news/dji-granted-worlds-first-c1-certificate-for-mavic-3-series

What we are talking about here are C-certified drones.

I was replying to JodyB who stated it's the same way in the States. It is not.
2023-10-11
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 10-11 13:22
I was replying to JodyB who stated it's the same way in the States. It is not.

Thats the way my air 3 works. I thought it was broken until I went for a night flight
2023-10-11
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

JodyB Posted at 10-11 13:25
Thats the way my air 3 works. I thought it was broken until I went for a night flight

Have you checked in the settings for the switch?
2023-10-11
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 10-11 13:29
Have you checked in the settings for the switch?

Yeah, it was originally assigned to the C1 button but couldn't get it to work either with the button or otherwise. Then the first time I flew at night, soon as I took off, it came on all by itself, then once I got a little higher, turned itself off. When I came back to land, I got about the same height when it turned off that it turned itself back on and staid on until the landing was complete. I'm not above having a setting off somewhere that I haven't ran across yet, but thats been my goings with it so far.
2023-10-11
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

LOL at myself. I just figured it out. Sometimes it pays to read the manual. You are right Mobilehomer. The part I was mising was the motors had to be going. Told ya I'm not above missing something. Sorry about the confusion there!! My old MA2 wasn't like that. You could turn it on/off regardless of the motor status.
2023-10-11
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

JodyB Posted at 10-11 13:47
LOL at myself. I just figured it out. Sometimes it pays to read the manual. You are right Mobilehomer. The part I was mising was the motors had to be going. Told ya I'm not above missing something. Sorry about the confusion there!! My old MA2 wasn't like that. You could turn it on/off regardless of the motor status.

I wasn't sure about the Air 3. Glad you found it.
2023-10-11
Use props
djiuser_TRzxZ4bm2ZiS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 525279 ft
Denmark

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-6 06:24
Sorry for the late response. When using the DJI Air 3 in EU which is included on the C1 certification. We have confirmed the following details:

Hi DJI

Seems like your interpretation of the EU-law regarding the auxiliary light is wrong.

Please respond to why this restriction is enforced. Seems like a general “ better safe than sorry " implementation.
2023-10-12
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

begi Posted at 10-10 07:10
Hello !
You have not answered the question. You only refer to your own page. If what you now claim is correct, please refer to where in the EU regulations it is stated. I have not yet found where in the EU the regulations that prove your claim. I've also asked the question to other manufacturers today, so I'll probably get an answer from them soon.

Thank you for supporting our product. EU C1 certificate is now supported for DJI Air 3, all DJI Mavic 3 Classic firmware, and DJI Mavic 3 firmware V01.00.0800 and later. Also, the C1 certificate applies to all firmware that will be released in the near future. For more details, please visit our official website and check this link https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... -for-mavic-3-series . Thank you for your understanding.
2023-10-13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_TRzxZ4bm2ZiS Posted at 10-12 05:56
Hi DJI

Seems like your interpretation of the EU-law regarding the auxiliary light is wrong.

Thank you for your response. We will coordinate this concern of yours to our relevant team. We appreciate your patience.
2023-10-13
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_TRzxZ4bm2ZiS Posted at 10-12 05:56
Hi DJI

Apparently this is so their drones can meet the requirements for C1 certification. I don't know what the actual requirements for C1 certification are as listed by EASA but it might be worth a research?
2023-10-13
Use props
Andreja
lvl.4
Flight distance : 864961 ft
Germany

JodyB Posted at 10-13 03:58
Apparently this is so their drones can meet the requirements for C1 certification. I don't know what the actual requirements for C1 certification are as listed by EASA but it might be worth a research?

Hi!
The issue I see here, is that the actual EU Drone Regulations, that is to say "COMMISSION DELEGATED REGULATION (EU) 2019/945" and "COMMISSION IMPLEMENTING REGULATION (EU) 2019/947", do not actually say anything about users not being able to control lights, and they are publicly accessible in the Official Journal of the European Union, which is in charge of publishing laws.

However, there's another part of the story for Europe. For a product to put a CE sign, it must comply with all European laws about products of that category, and manufacturer must issue a Declaration of Conformity document, stating the norms, laws, and so on.
For some types of devices (I myself work with medical devices, but the process is similar for other types), an internal compliance process done by the manufacturer is not enough to put a CE sign, and external body (a little bit like the Underwriters Laboratories in the US) must also be involved, to determine that the product fulfills all the regulations.
That type of body is called "notified body" in EU-bureaucracy-speech. So a notified body works with a manufacturer to determine which norms the product must fulfill, and check if the product is compliant with those norms, and if it is, then the manufacturer is allowed to put the CE sign on the product.

So we come to the the EN 4709 series of European Norms, currently prEN 4709-001 through prEN 4709-004. They are the norms which concern themselves with drones, and they're still drafts. Those drafts are not free, and cost around $250 a pop, and they'll have in them the actual requirements of what needs to be done.

But wait, that's not all!
The notified body checks if we're in compliance with our norms.
So, we can say, that the notified bodies interpret the norms, and in practice, the law is what the notified body says that it is, and different notified bodies might have different interpretations of norms, or they might pay special attention to some parts of the norms, and let rules from other parts "slip through".

This is also a case of perverse incentives, since in EU, there's a free market for notified bodies, and manufacturer (or distributor) is free to choose which notified body will do the certification of the product. At the same time, there isn't really a punishment system for notified bodies, if they end up not looking at some aspects of the product they way they should*. So some companies might want to choose a "cooperative" notified body, which won't make things more complicated than they need to be.

So to sum the above wall of text up: Even though the actual laws do not say anything  about disallowing users from operating the auxiliary light switch, the norms might have something in them about that topic, or notified body might interpret them as if they have something about this topic in them.
Different notified bodies might interpret norms in different ways, so in the end, we can have two different products implementing the same norm differently, and manufacturers could correctly claim that they're both implementing the norm correctly, because their notified bodies told them that they are.

Also, in the concrete case of the DJI Air 3, the notified body was ALTER TECHNOLOGY-TÜV NORD, S.A.U., notified body number 2031, from Spain.

I belive that the whole story I wrote above might be a bit too complicated to go through different levels of DJI worker hierarchy, so by the time it reaches the support representatives here in the forum, story gets shortened to the "EU laws" responses, which we get.

Then, for the conspiracy theory part... Auxiliary light switched are often used on drones modified to drop objects from drones  to the ground, and I suspect that the EU might want to make such use a bit more difficult.
2023-10-13
Use props
djiuser_TRzxZ4bm2ZiS
lvl.4
Denmark

Andreja Posted at 10-13 07:13
Hi!
The issue I see here, is that the actual EU Drone Regulations, that is to say "COMMISSION DELEGATED REGULATION (EU) 2019/945" and "COMMISSION IMPLEMENTING REGULATION (EU) 2019/947", do not actually say anything about users not being able to control lights, and they are publicly accessible in the Official Journal of the European Union, which is in charge of publishing laws.

Yeah, who knows what’s their reasoning is. I’ve got a Mini 4 Pro besides the Air 3 and on the M4P you are allowed to switch on/off the light. Go figure - both are C1 !

2023-10-14
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

djiuser_TRzxZ4bm2ZiS Posted at 10-14 02:37
Yeah, who knows what’s their reasoning is. I’ve got a Mini 4 Pro besides the Air 3 and on the M4P you are allowed to switch on/off the light. Go figure - both are C1 !

Mini 4 Pro should be C0...
2023-10-14
Use props
djiuser_TRzxZ4bm2ZiS
lvl.4
Denmark

virtual Posted at 10-14 03:11
Mini 4 Pro should be C0...

Oh, my mistake
2023-10-14
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 10-14 11:51
You have to wonder what bureaucratic pinhead made this decision?  Of what possible consequence is it that users be able to remotely activate a downward firing LED while in flight?  Is 112 going to be overwhelmed with reports of UFOs or the Mothman?  Give a bureaucrat the chance & they will dictate how many sheets of toilet paper you are allowed per wipe...

Well the Russians use it as a trigger from dropping grenades on the Ukraine.  
2023-10-14
Use props
fansa5a803fd
lvl.2

Sweden

Hello !
It took a while to get answers from 4 other manufacturers, for EU certification of drones, and they all have the same answer. All lighting can be turned on and off manually, except for the LED lighting on the arms. So now I probably have to buy drones from one of the other manufacturers.
2023-11-2
Use props
Wolfgang Holstein
New

Germany

Mobilehomer Posted at 10-11 12:51
How did you get rid of disabled on/off landing light by fn /mavic 3
What if I update firmware abroad EU?
2023-12-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules