How to set anti-flicker on new Osmo Action 4??
3400 27 2023-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Steph Jant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 152605 ft
United Kingdom

I seem to recall on the original Osmo Action and the Osmo Action 3 that you had some control over the anti-flicker mode.  I think the settings were Auto, 50Hz and 60Hz.

I cannot find this setting on the new Osmo Action 4.  And in the user manual the only reference to anti-flicker is in the context of the EIS Priority setting.

Has anyone found a way of changing the anti-flicker setting with the new OA4??
2023-8-29
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It’s not on the Action 4. Either set frame rate to 25/50 or 30/60 fps depending on your country or set the shutter to multiples of 25 or 30, again depending on your country.

In UK, that means 25 or 50 FPS or if I’m using 30/60fps, set the shutter to 1/50th or 1/100th. It then matches the power supply.

In USA, use 1/30, 1/60th or 1/120th or set frame rate to 30 or 60FPS.

If you use the camera in auto, then the frame rate needs to match the power supply.

2023-8-29
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Iancraig10 Posted at 8-29 00:23
It’s not on the Action 4. Either set frame rate to 25/50 or 30/60 fps depending on your country or set the shutter to multiples of 25 or 30, again depending on your country.

In UK, that means 25 or 50 FPS or if I’m using 30/60fps, set the shutter to 1/50th or 1/100th. It then matches the power supply.

Thanks for the information.

I wonder why DJI removed this feature from the OA4?  Using the approach you have outlined is quite constraining  
2023-8-29
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes, it is. I don’t know why they did this. In effect that’s what it was doing anyway, but automatically in any frame rate!

It's especially annoying when out and about outside, using 60FPS and you pass shops with lights on!!!
2023-8-29
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Steph Jant Posted at 8-29 00:33
Thanks for the information.

I wonder why DJI removed this feature from the OA4?  Using the approach you have outlined is quite constraining

They haven't actually removed it, but if you choose 25/50 it also says 50Hz in the menu.
2023-8-29
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

On one  of my cameras, the handy part is that you can set 1/50th at 30FPS. That gets rid of flicker as well in UK. Can’t remember which camera offhand and I’m not at home to check. Only have the Action 4 with me.
2023-8-29
Use props
PankoGO
lvl.3

Netherlands

I'm a little bit confused as I never had the OA3 I can't comment on it.

But general knowledge tells me that all is related to shutter speed if you want to prevent flickering.

So in the past when we were primarily speaking of an Action camera, we had to go to settings and choose between NTSC/PAL this means that certain framerates are locked whichever you choose.
You had to go to settings each time to manually choose back the NTSC/PAL to get 120FPS NTSC vs. the locked 100FPS in PAL.

Now the OA4 has all settings at one glance and added a recommended FPS (50Hz): 25 (based on your current location logged on the Mimo app?)
Which is basically the Anti Flickr mode.

So it is more streamlined and the recommendation is based on your location?

To me, it seems like a more streamlined and added convenience factor than having it on a separate menu that adds to the clutter.  

So in theory, it should do the exact same as the anti-flickr mode of the OA3 in one glance rather than a separate Anti-flickr menu on the OA4.

So I guess the OA3 had anti-flicker mode with 50Hz and 60Hz and an Auto option? Which is now combined in one glance a no need to go to a separate menu as far as I can see (I never had or owned a OA3 so can't see the exact menu).

Is it still possible to record 1/50th at 30FPS? Yes, for that you have to shoot manually which also means you lose stabilization of rocksteady as it won't work as well with a lower shutter. (In the past, you had to manually choose or switch the settings from PAL to NTSC to get the 30FPS/60FPS/120FPS option visible).
2023-8-29
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Oh yes! My apologies….. the Action 4 DOES allow 1/50th at 30FPS.  So you just need to be in pro mode and switch to manual.

I’m thinking that anti flicker worked in auto mode though so you didn’t need to worry.  My memory is fuddled!!!
2023-8-29
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

PankoGO Posted at 8-29 01:37
I'm a little bit confused as I never had the OA3 I can't comment on it.

But general knowledge tells me that all is related to shutter speed if you want to prevent flickering.

In OA3 you had its own menu settings for 50/60/Auto Hz under Main Menu Settings.

With any cameras I always put it on Auto or 60Hz. If you set it at 50Hz you can't record in 60 fps, atleast with OA3.

2023-8-29
Use props
PankoGO
lvl.3

Netherlands

Iancraig10 Posted at 8-29 02:02
Oh yes! My apologies….. the Action 4 DOES allow 1/50th at 30FPS.  So you just need to be in pro mode and switch to manual.

I’m thinking that anti flicker worked in auto mode though so you didn’t need to worry.  My memory is fuddled!!!

The auto mode would be interesting but unfortunately, I never had the OA3 (it was on my to-buy list but 2 weeks later rumors of an OA4 came so I waited).

So very curious if OA3 had an auto mode and how it actually works, as it would have to sacrifice things like stabilization and introduce more shake/artifacts/color distortion to be able to match artificial lighting. And would be more visible if the software set the wrong Hz based on what it sees as a certain shutter speed is not recommended especially in low light moving situations.

It would have its pros and cons and can intervene with software functions like RS etc.

I assumed that OA3 had 50Hz/60Hz options and the Auto mode unlocked all recording options so Auto is now the standard OA4 option (that is what I assumed).

Maybe someone with an OA3 can add some clarity as to how the Auto function works on the OA3. As I'm very curious now.
2023-8-29
Use props
PankoGO
lvl.3

Netherlands

johansenfoto Posted at 8-29 02:27
In OA3 you had its own menu settings for 50/60/Auto Hz under Main Menu Settings.

aah, so that answers my question did not see your reply until I hit post.

But this simply confirmed my assumptions, thanks!
2023-8-29
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

PankoGO Posted at 8-29 02:38
aah, so that answers my question did not see your reply until I hit post.

But this simply confirmed my assumptions, thanks!

Hehe, now you know
2023-8-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, Osmo Action 4 has removed the anti-flicker setting option, but it still supports anti-flicker.
It is enabled automatically, and provides frame rate recommendations based on the local frequency.
Frame rate recommendation display rules:
The camera identifies the frequency of a country based on the country code. For users in countries using frequency 50 Hz, they will receive anti-flicker prompts at frame rates of 30/60/120, and will also be prompted at frame rates of 25/50/100 when using the camera in a country with frequency 50 Hz.
The camera identifies the frequency of a country based on the country code. For users in countries using frequency 60 Hz, they will receive anti-flicker prompts at frame rates of 25/50/100, and will also be prompted at frame rates of 30/60/120 when using the camera in a country with frequency 60 Hz.
2023-8-29
Use props
PankoGO
lvl.3

Netherlands

DJI Mindy Posted at 8-29 03:18
Hi there, Osmo Action 4 has removed the anti-flicker setting option, but it still supports anti-flicker.
It is enabled automatically, and provides frame rate recommendations based on the local frequency.

So the country code is acquired by the Mimo app where we have set the country manually on sign-up/registration?  

But if I go from an NL, PAL region to an NA, NTSC region, will the country code be updated automatically within the app or do I manually need to set the country code through the Mimo app to get the framerate recommendation?*

*if I turn on the GPS mode in the Mimo app.
2023-8-29
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
United Kingdom

It is enabled automatically, and provides frame rate recommendations based on the local frequency.

Thanks, I have just noticed this information on the camera touch screen.  I would prefer to set the anti-flicker myself - ie, 50 or 60 Hz - rather than be prompted to change the frame rate to something I may not want to use.  So I film all my action shots in 30, 60, or 120 fps so that if I'm combining action camera footage with iPhone video footage it is all compatible
2023-8-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

PankoGO Posted at 8-29 04:19
So the country code is acquired by the Mimo app where we have set the country manually on sign-up/registration?  

But if I go from an NL, PAL region to an NA, NTSC region, will the country code be updated automatically within the app or do I manually need to set the country code through the Mimo app to get the framerate recommendation?*

After connecting the device to the DJI Mimo app to obtain the mobile phone’s GPS information, it will refresh the country code and modify the corresponding parameters.
2023-8-31
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Steph Jant Posted at 8-30 02:08
Thanks, I have just noticed this information on the camera touch screen.  I would prefer to set the anti-flicker myself - ie, 50 or 60 Hz - rather than be prompted to change the frame rate to something I may not want to use.  So I film all my action shots in 30, 60, or 120 fps so that if I'm combining action camera footage with iPhone video footage it is all compatible

We will forward your feedback and request to the corresponding team for evaluation. Thanks for your understanding.
2023-8-31
Use props
Eikyu
lvl.2
Japan

It is enabled automatically, and provides frame rate recommendations based on the local frequency.

I just wanna point out one thing about the country code thing in the app is that there's one county that uses both 50/60hz and that's here in Japan. So if I go to the upper north they use 50hz there and half down south is 60hz, so making the camera based of the country code via app is kind of useless if you are in a place of this world where 50/60hz are kind of in a couple of km away. So my suggestion is that if you guys can bring back the OA3 method of setting manual/auto 50/60hz option, or maybe implement a feature in the camera where user can lock the shutter speed divider in regards to whatever framerate they are using. i.e. if I pick 50hz option it will only use shutter speed for 50hz like 100/200/300, while 60hz it will lock in 60/120/280/360, it will be also useful for those who uses 24/48fps at 60hz teritorry. and yeah I live at the middle of Japan where 50/60hz switch when I drive a bit and I dont use the app that much because I always edit in PC.
hz-map.gif

2023-9-4
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

this AM I shot 24fps and I got flicker, so I changed to 30FPS and  the flicker stopped, I shot before 24fps and I did not get flicker, so year  guess certain lightings will differ
2023-9-4
Use props
Eikyu
lvl.2
Japan

Fishycomics Posted at 9-4 08:08
this AM I shot 24fps and I got flicker, so I changed to 30FPS and  the flicker stopped, I shot before 24fps and I did not get flicker, so year  guess certain lightings will differ

The camera seems to pick which frequency it is at the first run, whenever I reboot the cam it switch to 50 sometimes and 60hz, it seems to be a weak software algorithm when it try to hunt for the flicker.

since you're in the US you basically will be lock at 60hz, and using 24fps you have to be constantly using 60/120/280/360 shutter speed which sometimes the camera fails to switch like you said. so it's a clumsy algorithm. they seriously need to bring back the manual switch so we can overide the camera shutter speed because if you use auto exposure it will just use whatever frequency it was set on, and in your case, you need 60hz but the cam keeps using 50hz for some reason. also dont forget if you are shooting at LED lights it doesnt matter most of the time only florecent lights are the problem with flickers
2023-9-4
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

excellent advice. DJi should listen to the customer, do they, we'll see?
2023-9-4
Use props
Yaman-Python
lvl.4
  • >>>
Japan

Eikyu Posted at 9-4 06:45
I just wanna point out one thing about the country code thing in the app is that there's one county that uses both 50/60hz and that's here in Japan. So if I go to the upper north they use 50hz there and half down south is 60hz, so making the camera based of the country code via app is kind of useless if you are in a place of this world where 50/60hz are kind of in a couple of km away. So my suggestion is that if you guys can bring back the OA3 method of setting manual/auto 50/60hz option, or maybe implement a feature in the camera where user can lock the shutter speed divider in regards to whatever framerate they are using. i.e. if I pick 50hz option it will only use shutter speed for 50hz like 100/200/300, while 60hz it will lock in 60/120/280/360, it will be also useful for those who uses 24/48fps at 60hz teritorry. and yeah I live at the middle of Japan where 50/60hz switch when I drive a bit and I dont use the app that much because I always edit in PC.
[view_image]

Hi Eikyu. Same here. Oscillating between 50 and 60 Hz!
I thought of commenting in this thread before but thought DJI would not care much anyway. But given the number of people suggesting a change, it may be heard...
2023-9-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Eikyu Posted at 9-4 06:45
I just wanna point out one thing about the country code thing in the app is that there's one county that uses both 50/60hz and that's here in Japan. So if I go to the upper north they use 50hz there and half down south is 60hz, so making the camera based of the country code via app is kind of useless if you are in a place of this world where 50/60hz are kind of in a couple of km away. So my suggestion is that if you guys can bring back the OA3 method of setting manual/auto 50/60hz option, or maybe implement a feature in the camera where user can lock the shutter speed divider in regards to whatever framerate they are using. i.e. if I pick 50hz option it will only use shutter speed for 50hz like 100/200/300, while 60hz it will lock in 60/120/280/360, it will be also useful for those who uses 24/48fps at 60hz teritorry. and yeah I live at the middle of Japan where 50/60hz switch when I drive a bit and I dont use the app that much because I always edit in PC.
[view_image]

Hi there, we will forward your feedback and this information to the corresponding team. Thanks.
2023-9-5
Use props
anthony.anthonyanzalone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 927300 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm in the US, I'm connected to the Mimo app, and my OA4 is still recommending 50hz.  This is silliness.  
2023-9-10
Use props
Anonymous1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 602303 ft

Jamaica

anthony.anthonyanzalone Posted at 9-10 08:30
I'm in the US, I'm connected to the Mimo app, and my OA4 is still recommending 50hz.  This is silliness.

Are you using some sort of VPN app on your phone when you had the Mimo app running?
2023-10-26
Use props
djiuser_WkbvLe2UBOW7
New

South Korea

I have a same problem too.
Im korean and it is set 50hz fixed. But i need 60hz option.
Also after connecting mimo app, it wasnt changed. It has problem too.
Also i tried to change my country to us. But after connecting mimo app it is not changed

I wish they make 50/60hz option in action4 again
It is really tired of me
2023-10-30
Use props
ericyoung
New

United States

anthony.anthonyanzalone Posted at 9-10 08:30

same, this is hilarious.  not a difficult thing to fix, but here we are.
2023-11-8
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Have you guys tested if it is 50Hz while recording also or just that is says it in menu?
2023-11-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules