ADS-B traffic display over free feeder site?
828 13 2023-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JeffAlanMcClain
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2281043 ft
United States

Just wondering why the Mavick and Air series get ADS-B traffic display but they can't add it to our mini series when we have internet connection from a feeder site like ADSBExchange?

*edit* PS I understand the Mavick and Air series have dedicated hardware Rx's.  The question is why they wouldn't enable a swap in of the relatively low data rate needed to grab live feeds from sites like ADSBExchange and plot it on the Mini series too if we had wifi/network connection
2023-8-29
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

The Mavic and newer Air series have an ADS-B receiver built in, so it can't be added to a mini. You can use various airplane scanners, I use "flightradar24"
2023-8-29
Use props
JeffAlanMcClain
lvl.2
United States

Yes, I have an Air2, and I understand they have dedicated Rx's.  My question is, why DJI doesn't ADD this to the Mini series via ADSBExchange feeder sites when we have an internet connection / wifi on our RC/DJIFly app?  It seems like they already have the software developed to display the traffic on the mini map, so my question is, why they wouldn't just swap in the data ADS-B feed for a dedicated Rx if available.  I *hate* having to look at my phone (esp when wearing Goggles) to see flight traffic.  Getting *alerts* / notifications and info tracking on the mini map would be quite a boon to these smaller/cheaper platforms and it is rare we would have much traffic that isn't easily on the feeder sites (I personally run both ADS-B and UAT/978 scanner / feeder).
2023-8-29
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JeffAlanMcClain Posted at 8-29 11:07
Yes, I have an Air2, and I understand they have dedicated Rx's.  My question is, why DJI doesn't ADD this to the Mini series via ADSBExchange feeder sites when we have an internet connection / wifi on our RC/DJIFly app?  It seems like they already have the software developed to display the traffic on the mini map, so my question is, why they wouldn't just swap in the data ADS-B feed for a dedicated Rx if available.  I *hate* having to look at my phone (esp when wearing Goggles) to see flight traffic.  Getting *alerts* / notifications and info tracking on the mini map would be quite a boon to these smaller/cheaper platforms and it is rare we would have much traffic that isn't easily on the feeder sites (I personally run both ADS-B and UAT/978 scanner / feeder).

Having looked, I have never heard of this service (thanks), cost will be one reason, the API for commercial usage is not free.
2023-8-29
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Japan

videoeditman Posted at 8-29 10:39
The Mavic and newer Air series have an ADS-B receiver built in, so it can't be added to a mini. You can use various airplane scanners, I use "flightradar24"

Given the huge blocklist of aircraft it maintains, FR24 is one of the worst choices.
Any owner can and does exempt their aircraft from display, often military and others which are the most likely to cause conflicts.
Far better using a service like ADSBExchange which do not have a block list.
2023-8-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I suspect the added weight of the hardware to do this would push it over 249g.
2023-8-30
Use props
JeffAlanMcClain
lvl.2
United States

DAFlys Posted at 8-30 01:30
I suspect the added weight of the hardware to do this would push it over 249g.

...to be perfectly CLEAR, I'm not talking about adding ANY hardware.  This is easily added in software.
2023-8-30
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for that, nice data, I see exactly what you are asking. The drones with ADSB obviously transmit their location due to the hardware. But if we could get an overlay of all aircraft, we could use it to see aircraft, in our vicinity, though they won't see us.
Screenshot_20230830_182336_Samsung Internet.jpg
2023-8-30
Use props
JeffAlanMcClain
lvl.2
United States

Mavic57pro2 Posted at 8-30 09:27
Thanks for that, nice data, I see exactly what you are asking. The drones with ADSB obviously transmit their location due to the hardware. But if we could get an overlay of all aircraft, we could use it to see aircraft, in our vicinity, though they won't see us.[Image]

Just to be clear, none of the drones (even air2/3 and Mavic) broadcast on ADS-B. This is reserved for standard aircraft and there are tons of monitor and repeater and feeder stations to supply the course, speed and altitude as well as tail number etc. the drones with hardware have an ADS-B in ONLY and broadcast Remote iD separately. RID is reserved for drones. So it’s not that the mini 3 doesn’t broadcast RID (it does on Bluetooth and WiFi freq spectrum, as required). Just doesn’t have the 1090Mhz ADS-B receiver to see local commercial and GA traffic. Again, thou, it should be a relatively trivial matter to sub in the logging feeder stations with that real time info and hook into the software already developed for the air/Mavic platforms. Remote ID range is abysmally short so while it would be cool to adapt the ADS-B tracking software and include tracks of other drones showing info over RID, it likely would be spotty and inconsistent but still cool as an extension…
2023-8-30
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JeffAlanMcClain Posted at 8-30 11:08
Just to be clear, none of the drones (even air2/3 and Mavic) broadcast on ADS-B. This is reserved for standard aircraft and there are tons of monitor and repeater and feeder stations to supply the course, speed and altitude as well as tail number etc. the drones with hardware have an ADS-B in ONLY and broadcast Remote iD separately. RID is reserved for drones. So it’s not that the mini 3 doesn’t broadcast RID (it does on Bluetooth and WiFi freq spectrum, as required). Just doesn’t have the 1090Mhz ADS-B receiver to see local commercial and GA traffic. Again, thou, it should be a relatively trivial matter to sub in the logging feeder stations with that real time info and hook into the software already developed for the air/Mavic platforms. Remote ID range is abysmally short so while it would be cool to adapt the ADS-B tracking software and include tracks of other drones showing info over RID, it likely would be spotty and inconsistent but still cool as an extension…

I was thinking to see aircraft on the controller map, not drones. I used Flight radar for a check of air traffic, now using Adbs exchange.
2023-8-31
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hello there. I hope you're doing well today. The Mini series has no ADS-B support because it will affect the weight and it was planned that the drones weighing more than 250 grams will include AirSense technology. Please check this link: https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... new-consumer-drones. Have a great day ahead.
2023-8-31
Use props
DuRavary
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125135 ft
France

I really can’t think how having an on-screen display showing aircraft would help me while I’m flying my <250g drone within line of sight under 120m. Yes, I do sometimes see other aircraft including air ambulances and water authority helicopters, private aircraft and military jets but none of them share my airspace. An app that could predict the flight plan of swallows and pigeons would be so much more useful.
2023-8-31
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

gnirtS Posted at 8-29 19:45
Given the huge blocklist of aircraft it maintains, FR24 is one of the worst choices.
Any owner can and does exempt their aircraft from display, often military and others which are the most likely to cause conflicts.
Far better using a service like ADSBExchange which do not have a block list.

gnirtS,
  Thanks for the information about ADSBexchange, I didn't know about this App. Yes I have seen numerous helicopters not shown on FR24!
2023-8-31
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Japan

videoeditman Posted at 8-31 11:34
gnirtS,
  Thanks for the information about ADSBexchange, I didn't know about this App. Yes I have seen numerous helicopters not shown on FR24!

There are 2 problems:

Firstly not all aircraft transmit ADSB so won't show on any site.  And typically these are aircraft most likely to be operating low and in conflict (military, SAR, inspection etc).
The second problem is even if something IS transmitting ADSB, the multi thousand aircraft block list means FR24 simply wont show it.

ADSBEx/360Radar etc will show everything received that transmits but see above...  Its better but cant definitely say the airspace is clear.

FAA figures say as of July only about 44% of GA aircraft have ADSB-Out fitted.  In Europe its 23%.
So in both cases the majority will not show on a website OR via a drone receiver.
2023-8-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules