Air 3 - Heavy artifacts with 48mp mode
720 9 2023-8-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Johnedwardjames
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hey all!
Whilst I appreciate I'm almost pixel peeping, but the artifacts in 48mp mode are pretty horrific.  I got my Air 3 earlier today and while I love the telephoto lens the 48mp even in reasonable light is pretty unusable.  I'll be sticking to 12mp I guess, however, having tested those images and using Super Resolution you also get some rather zany results with colour shifts.

I can't wait for the day they give us a 20mp wide & 20mp Tele with at least 1-inch sensors for both.  I'll be using my Mavic Pro 2 for regular wide photos I think which is fine on jobs, but not great for recreational shooting as I don't want to carry my ground camera & 2 drones!

I didn't get long to test tonight as the sun disappeared behind the clouds but I'll be flying tomorrow so I'll get some more examples with proper 12mp vs 48mp shots straight out of camera.

Thanks!
Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 22.42.34.jpg
Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 22.42.06.jpg
2023-8-30
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Could you please upload the original footage or image file via Google Drive and send the link here so we can check it further? I will also take note of the suggestion you mentioned and forward it to our relevant team for attention. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-8-30
Use props
Johnedwardjames
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 8-30 18:02
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Could you please upload the original footage or image file via Google Drive and send the link here so we can check it further? I will also take note of the suggestion you mentioned and forward it to our relevant team for attention. Thank you for your valued support.

Hi DJI Paladin,

By all means, please see the link below to the .dng file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b5KvhJ1CQwCP08pnYYfmAQHQ9JPacuOM/view?usp=sharing

Thank you
2023-8-31
Use props
AlexanderK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2066709 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Jip, the need for DJI to market this as a 48mp drone for photography ruined te photos. 12 mp is what it is. Purple fringing and artifacts all over is normal with the Air 3 (sadly). Ill keep my air2s for photography and the Air 3 for film.
2023-8-31
Use props
flyingspark
lvl.3
Flight distance : 496545 ft
Spain

Same artifacts here, regardless 12 or 48 mode. I understand the limits of the sensor but my iPhone 12 with with also 12 mpx doesn’t show anything like that.
2023-8-31
Use props
Johnedwardjames
lvl.1

United Kingdom

flyingspark Posted at 8-31 11:23
Same artifacts here, regardless 12 or 48 mode. I understand the limits of the sensor but my iPhone 12 with with also 12 mpx doesn’t show anything like that.

That's not what I wanted to hear! I know the 12mp are much cleaner on the mini 3 pro and was hoping it'd be the same for the air 3.

2023-9-1
Use props
miguelcanijo
lvl.3
Spain

Johnedwardjames Posted at 9-1 01:31
That's not what I wanted to hear! I know the 12mp are much cleaner on the mini 3 pro and was hoping it'd be the same for the air 3.

They are not obvious the first time you open them. You might even say, wow, that’s pretty good. But the moment you zoom in you see those weird artifacts.
2023-9-1
Use props
Johnedwardjames
lvl.1

United Kingdom

miguelcanijo Posted at 9-1 10:10
They are not obvious the first time you open them. You might even say, wow, that’s pretty good. But the moment you zoom in you see those weird artifacts.
Didn't manage to fly any more or look at earlier images yet. Will get out locally now I'm home tomorrow and see what's what. Wondering if it will be fixed with firmware?

Have you noticed it with the wide camera too?
2023-9-1
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Johnedwardjames Posted at 8-31 03:05
Hi DJI Paladin,

By all means, please see the link below to the .dng file:

Thank you for the information provided. We will coordinate this to our relevant team for attention. Thank you.
2023-9-1
Use props
miguelcanijo
lvl.3
Spain

This is an example of the artifacts shown (not always I must say). They seem more noticeable with patterns.

The original file
2023-9-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules