DJI Avata not smooth
936 11 2023-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jaysen
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

Hi there, i'm new to fpv drones. I've had the phantoms and mavics with excellent smooth footage. But, the DJI Avata is not steady at all. I've tried hard rock steady, horizon steady, and no EUI as well, and even after processing in gyroflow, a lot of the footage just isn't smooth enough. I've also calibrated the gimbal. Is there anything that i'm missing to get the DJI Avata footage smoother? I've flown in normal and sport mode, indoors and out, both modes are about the same to me. Thank you.  
2023-9-3
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Takes a lot of work and practice to get smooth footage.  Maybe just start out in Normal mode. Do you have footage to share, maybe we can take a look.
2023-9-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there, Jaysen. We're deeply sorry for the trouble. Can you please upload a sample footage showing the issue so we can check it further? You may upload the original video (unedited) file via Google Drive and send the link here so we can check. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2023-9-3
Use props
Jaysen
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-3 16:21
Hi there, Jaysen. We're deeply sorry for the trouble. Can you please upload a sample footage showing the issue so we can check it further? You may upload the original video (unedited) file via Google Drive and send the link here so we can check. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

yes no problem, below is a link to one clip. at around 1:00 you can see the wobbles, but more so from 2:05 and on.... i just couldn't get the camera level with the horizon. i was using the hand controller which i'm very familiar with, but the gimbal/camera just wouldn't level out. this was on rock steady i believe. then i did another clip on horizon steady.... same result.    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R9BRIYThsj9_Qhsc04UWCXFfVPJr-pfB/view?usp=drive_link
2023-9-3
Use props
Jaysen
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

The Saint Posted at 9-3 16:13
Takes a lot of work and practice to get smooth footage.  Maybe just start out in Normal mode. Do you have footage to share, maybe we can take a look.

yes no problem, below is a link to one clip. at around 1:00 you can see the wobbles, but more so from 2:05 and on.... i just couldn't get the camera level with the horizon. i was using the hand controller which i'm very familiar with, but the gimbal/camera just wouldn't level out. this was on rock steady i believe. then i did another clip on horizon steady.... same result.    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R9BRIYThsj9_Qhsc04UWCXFfVPJr-pfB/view?usp=drive_link
2023-9-3
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jaysen Posted at 9-3 20:08
yes no problem, below is a link to one clip. at around 1:00 you can see the wobbles, but more so from 2:05 and on.... i just couldn't get the camera level with the horizon. i was using the hand controller which i'm very familiar with, but the gimbal/camera just wouldn't level out. this was on rock steady i believe. then i did another clip on horizon steady.... same result.    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R9BRIYThsj9_Qhsc04UWCXFfVPJr-pfB/view?usp=drive_link

Looks like what happens when there is a lot of wind.  The avata really leans sometimes.  You may want to recalibrate everything.  What is a hand controller?  Is that the remote controller known as RC2 or the Motion Controller known as MC2?  Looks like RC2 to me.  Maybe someone else sees it different but I really see just you need more practice with keeping it steady and learning on the sticks.  Avata is not the best with RC2 at those speeds, you might want to go with MC2 for a more steady, cinematic approach until you get a better feel for this.  IMO
2023-9-3
Use props
Jaysen
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

The Saint Posted at 9-3 20:17
Looks like what happens when there is a lot of wind.  The avata really leans sometimes.  You may want to recalibrate everything.  What is a hand controller?  Is that the remote controller known as RC2 or the Motion Controller known as MC2?  Looks like RC2 to me.  Maybe someone else sees it different but I really see just you need more practice with keeping it steady and learning on the sticks.  Avata is not the best with RC2 at those speeds, you might want to go with MC2 for a more steady, cinematic approach until you get a better feel for this.  IMO

it was the mc2, same joystick configuration as the dji rc pro etc...which is what i meant by i'm very familiar with the controller....which i always get smooth footage with the mavics/etc. it wasn't that windy that day, at least not windy enough to make an impact on the mavic 2 or even the air 2s. i'll recalibrate everything and see if that helps, thank you.
2023-9-3
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jaysen Posted at 9-3 20:33
it was the mc2, same joystick configuration as the dji rc pro etc...which is what i meant by i'm very familiar with the controller....which i always get smooth footage with the mavics/etc. it wasn't that windy that day, at least not windy enough to make an impact on the mavic 2 or even the air 2s. i'll recalibrate everything and see if that helps, thank you.

mc2 is an old controller and the newer avata drone just doesn't work that well with it.  which is why they don't sell them together.  obviously it is compatible, just not working that well.  perhaps you can try to dial it in or maybe change to longer sticks.  sometimes i get the avata all sideways and out of control as well when using rc2 and i'm thinking it's because you let off the throttle too much.  for me, on a windy data, avata is not good.  the avata will never fly like a mavic or a mini...ever.
2023-9-3
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Jaysen Posted at 9-3 20:08
yes no problem, below is a link to one clip. at around 1:00 you can see the wobbles, but more so from 2:05 and on.... i just couldn't get the camera level with the horizon. i was using the hand controller which i'm very familiar with, but the gimbal/camera just wouldn't level out. this was on rock steady i believe. then i did another clip on horizon steady.... same result.    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R9BRIYThsj9_Qhsc04UWCXFfVPJr-pfB/view?usp=drive_link

That kind of wobble is because it only has a one axis gimbal that one works up and down, not sideways. Any drone constantly has to adjust for the wind and standing still with the Avata you only get straight and non wobbly footage if there is absolutely no wind.
The Avata flies reasonably smooth at a bit higher speeds.
I could never get smooth flights with the motion controller but that might be just me.
If you can manage get the remote controller 2 and learn to fly manual. Then you can control the smoothness yourself and if the wind pushes you to one side you smoothly push against it yourself.
Never tried digital horizon leveling myself but that might be your best friend in Gyroflow
2023-9-3
Use props
Jaysen
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

Ok thank you all. I guess i was expecting a bit much from the avata. I'll keep the speeds high and the winds low. I was able to fly smoothly through a home yesterday so it seems zero wind and constant motion is best.
2023-9-4
Use props
The Jack
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32326 ft
United States

Jaysen Posted at 9-4 08:30
Ok thank you all. I guess i was expecting a bit much from the avata. I'll keep the speeds high and the winds low. I was able to fly smoothly through a home yesterday so it seems zero wind and constant motion is best.

Mine is the same as yours. Its the wind. windy days and i"m all over the place.  The below video it was kind of calm out but the wind i was hitting you could see it move some.
2023-9-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Jaysen Posted at 9-3 20:06

Thank you for your response. We're glad that you have managed to isolate your concern after multiple test flights. Please note that the DJI Avata features a single-axis (tilt) gimbal therefore, it is totally different from other consumer drones with 3-axis gimbal stabilization. Furthermore, in a windy environment, the gimbal may not be in the center, so we suggest you fly your drone in a windless environment. Thank you for your understanding.
2023-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules