Air Force Low Flight
338 12 2023-9-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CotsworldPix
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1063488 ft
United Kingdom

I live near, but NOT WITHIN the restricted zone of an Air Force base.

Today an Air Force aircraft flew very low, cetainly below 400ft where I often fly my Mavic. He was quiet and couldn't be seen until the last second: had I been flying my Mavic - which I was fortunately not doing -  there could have been a serious issue/colision beacuse I would not have been able to avoid him.

There are no NOTEM's in my area.

How do I avoid this potential situaution in the future?
2023-9-4
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

This might help.
https://www.gov.uk/government/pu ... -training-timetable
2023-9-4
Use props
CotsworldPix
lvl.2
United Kingdom

UKMoose Posted at 9-4 07:22
This might help.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/operational-low-flying-training-timetable

Nope. They all say 'no activity'.
2023-9-4
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
United Kingdom

OK, at least you can keep an eye on it.
2023-9-4
Use props
CotsworldPix
lvl.2
United Kingdom

UKMoose Posted at 9-4 07:26
OK, at least you can keep an eye on it.

Well as there is no notice of the low flying today, it's useless.
2023-9-4
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Well it looks like your on your own pal.
2023-9-4
Use props
CotsworldPix
lvl.2
United Kingdom

UKMoose Posted at 9-4 12:18
Well it looks like your on your own pal.

The Low flying team at Swanwick confirm that fixed wing can fly to 250’ and Rotary to ground level. This is anywhere other than within an established avoidance or built up area.

They also say: "The tactical training areas in Wales, Scotland and the Lake District are established to allow fixed wing aircraft to conduct ‘operational’ low flying training where the aircraft can descend as low as 100ft above ground level. It’s only these 3 areas that are publicised on the .gov website timetable - but even when they’re not active on there, the aircraft can still utilise the same areas above 250ft."

So unless you are prepared to call the 'low flying team' in advance of every drone flight, when you say I'm on my own, we kind of all are 'pal'.
2023-9-7
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you feel that the military aircraft was flying in airspace they were not permitted to be in, and your drone was potentially capable of colliding with the aircraft, then you need to submit an AIRPROX report.

https://www.airproxboard.org.uk/report-an-airprox/

Doing this will allow an investigation to be opened and may put a stop to this happening again, but more importantly, ensure the safety of those flying.
2023-9-7
Use props
CotsworldPix
lvl.2
United Kingdom

CloudVisual Posted at 9-7 02:01
If you feel that the military aircraft was flying in airspace they were not permitted to be in, and your drone was potentially capable of colliding with the aircraft, then you need to submit an AIRPROX report.

https://www.airproxboard.org.uk/report-an-airprox/

See my early message. They can essentially fly where they please, unless within an established avoidance or built up area, which this was not.
2023-9-7
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CotsworldPix Posted at 9-7 02:03
See my early message. They can essentially fly where they please, unless within an established avoidance or built up area, which this was not.

You can still submit an AIRPROX. Your drone was within close proximity and endangered another aircraft.
2023-9-7
Use props
CotsworldPix
lvl.2
United Kingdom

CloudVisual Posted at 9-7 02:07
You can still submit an AIRPROX. Your drone was within close proximity and endangered another aircraft.

Please read my original post. I was not flying that day.
2023-9-7
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CotsworldPix Posted at 9-7 02:09
Please read my original post. I was not flying that day.

I see, on two separate occasions I didn't digest that you weren't flying.

Roughly where were you?
2023-9-7
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In answer to 'how do I avoid this in the future'.

• You can submit a NOTAM. This is straightforward and anyone planning a flight in the area will see you're flying a drone.
  • Download Altitude Angel and set up a flight for the area when you want to fly
  • You can talk to ATC and advise them of your movements. (Get their phone number for direct access in the future)
  • You must keep your drone within VLOS and be vigilant of the area around you.

I've flown plenty of times near air force bases and will always make a courtesy call to them if I am bordering their no fly zone. If they know you're there, they will be more than happy to work with you. When they don't know you're there, that's when you run a risk of this sort of thing.

2023-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules