Crashing the Air 3 while tracking from behind.
800 21 2023-9-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PROEDGEBIKER
lvl.2
Flight distance : 198281 ft
United States

Obstacle avoidance was awesome until it wasn't. Performed great going around prior trees but got confused by a pine that crossed the road.

2023-9-4
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, PROEDGEBIKER. Thank you for reaching out. We're sorry about what happened. Since the drone crashed, we highly recommend sending it to our facility for diagnosis and proper checking. You may submit an online repair request through this link: {https://repair.dji.com/repair/index}. If you need assistance with creating a ticket, you may contact DJI support at (https://www.dji.com/support).
2023-9-4
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13498560 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Wow, that worked great actually and performed very well. The thin leaves of the pine and thin branches would have have been too fine for the OA sensors. Active track works well around trees that have thick branches and plenty big leaves but put it near what you just saw and crash. Skydio was made to track in those situations. Hope the drone is okay and you back up and flying soon.
2023-9-4
Use props
PROEDGEBIKER
lvl.2
United States

Suren Posted at 9-4 22:09
Wow, that worked great actually and performed very well. The thin leaves of the pine and thin branches would have have been too fine for the OA sensors. Active track works well around trees that have thick branches and plenty big leaves but put it near what you just saw and crash. Skydio was made to track in those situations. Hope the drone is okay and you back up and flying soon.

New one coming this week, thankfully I purchased the crash protection.
2023-9-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just couldn't pick up that small branch of pine needles. Glad you had crash protection.
2023-9-5
Use props
PROEDGEBIKER
lvl.2
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-5 13:08
Just couldn't pick up that small branch of pine needles. Glad you had crash protection.

Just saw someone else on YT crash their A3 drone... guess what type of tree it also hit?
Yup - Pine tree!
2023-9-5
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

wow, thats awful. I guess Ken Heron's out take on trees is true!!!
2023-9-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

PROEDGEBIKER Posted at 9-5 13:11
Just saw someone else on YT crash their A3 drone... guess what type of tree it also hit?
Yup - Pine tree!

Yikes, I have pine trees all over my property here.  So that is a good reminder to be mindful while flying around them.  We had plenty of pine needles blown down as Hurricane Idalia blew by. Fortunately, I was not in the direct path but I did get plenty of gusty winds and rainfall.  
2023-9-5
Use props
MHM
Second Officer

United States

PROEDGEBIKER Posted at 9-5 03:34
New one coming this week, thankfully I purchased the crash protection.

Glad to hear the DJI refresh has taken care of this for you, that’s why I always buy DJI refresh for all my DJI drones.  
2023-9-5
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13686729 ft
  • >>>
United States

Since this was no fault of your own, wouldn't it be covered under the standard warranty instead of using your DJI refresh warranty?
2023-9-6
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think this would be seen as user error, flying in low light small branches etc, the drone did well but I think OA was affected by low light and small branches. But that’s what care refresh is for.
2023-9-6
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Flormo2002 Posted at 9-6 04:47
Since this was no fault of your own, wouldn't it be covered under the standard warranty instead of using your DJI refresh warranty?

There are stipulations regarding flying in active track and the pilot is ultimately responsible

2023-9-6
Use props
PROEDGEBIKER
lvl.2
United States

Flormo2002 Posted at 9-6 04:47

Nah, I manned up and claimed what I paid for.
The way I look at it is: You can't learn without making a few mistakes..
Now I know what not to do.

Pilot error though... mmmm.... I'd claim that if I was actually flying it.
That's why I slowed down and looked up once i noticed that the branch the went across the road, I was amazed when it moved all the way to the right and found the one damn branch.

It is what it is.

Thx.
2023-9-6
Use props
Arizona Wyldwest
lvl.1
Flight distance : 75194 ft
United States

They aren’t meant to be crash proof especially in this type of situation.  Even the Skydio drones which are advertised as fully autonomous crash in some situations like this.
2023-9-6
Use props
PROEDGEBIKER
lvl.2
United States

Arizona Wyldwest Posted at 9-6 21:34
They aren’t meant to be crash proof especially in this type of situation.  Even the Skydio drones which are advertised as fully autonomous crash in some situations like this.

Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

G.I. JOE!!
2023-9-7
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

PROEDGEBIKER Posted at 9-6 13:14
Nah, I manned up and claimed what I paid for.
The way I look at it is: You can't learn without making a few mistakes..
Now I know what not to do.

Yes pilot error is correct , you’re ultimately in charge and can avoid this type of crash. Active track is not an autonomous mode, it is automatic but pilot still has control or at least he should.
2023-9-7
Use props
PROEDGEBIKER
lvl.2
United States

Hallmark007 Posted at 9-7 10:43
Yes pilot error is correct , you’re ultimately in charge and can avoid this type of crash. Active track is not an autonomous mode, it is automatic but pilot still has control or at least he should.

You're 200% correct.
Thx!
2023-9-7
Use props
kan76
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9270666 ft
Bulgaria

@DJI Thats why we need the new firmware feature with the sensor cameras that came to Mavic 3 in Air 3 also
2023-9-8
Use props
PROEDGEBIKER
lvl.2
United States

kan76 Posted at 9-8 04:10
@DJI Thats why we need the new firmware feature with the sensor cameras that came to Mavic 3 in Air 3 also

I saw that that would be a game changer for this drone. I'm sure is just s firmware away.
2023-9-8
Use props
kan76
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9270666 ft
Bulgaria

PROEDGEBIKER Posted at 9-8 04:52
I saw that that would be a game changer for this drone. I'm sure is just s firmware away.

I hope so
2023-9-8
Use props
msmoker37a
lvl.2
Flight distance : 576913 ft
United States

You really needed to be flying higher above those trees. You were trying to pass through trees at the point it crashed.
2023-9-8
Use props
PROEDGEBIKER
lvl.2
United States

msmoker37a Posted at 9-8 06:57
You really needed to be flying higher above those trees. You were trying to pass through trees at the point it crashed.

Hindsight, yes but I really wanted to see how it did. I should have done better recon prior to going that far. Didn’t expect it to cross the road.
Definitely doesn’t like pine trees as I have seem in some other YouTube videos.
2023-9-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules