979 24 2023-9-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you have the RC2 controller does it need to be connected to say your mobile phone via hotspot for it to work? I checked my air 3 and it does show up in the WAN list with its RID# but I've tried a few different apps and it doesn't show up there. For the record, I'm no more keen on these rules than anyone else, but for what I do, I don't have much of a choice but to comply.

Also, anyone know how long the FAA takes to update their DOC list? Air 3 isn't on it yet.
2023-9-5
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I posed the question in regards to the A3 not being on the FAA declaration of compliance list yet and to quote them "The Air 3 does not have an FAA-approved DOC for remote ID. As to whether it will, that is a question best directed to DJI."

So with that, I need to ask if the Air 3 will get an FAA-DOC? Comparing a few of the latest drones, FAA-DOC were approved prior to their release dates for it makes me curious.
2023-9-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

JodyB Posted at 9-5 12:46
I posed the question in regards to the A3 not being on the FAA declaration of compliance list yet and to quote them "The Air 3 does not have an FAA-approved DOC for remote ID. As to whether it will, that is a question best directed to DJI."

So with that, I need to ask if the Air 3 will get an FAA-DOC? Comparing a few of the latest drones, FAA-DOC were approved prior to their release dates for it makes me curious.

I'm betting DJI is behind on their paperwork to the FAA.  Probably too busy with all the recent product releases and now the rumored Pocket 3 and Mini 4.  
2023-9-5
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-5 12:51
I'm betting DJI is behind on their paperwork to the FAA.  Probably too busy with all the recent product releases and now the rumored Pocket 3 and Mini 4.

I'd say your right. Wouldn't put it past the FAA to be a little behind as well as they totally skipped over the question I asked about the slated 09.16 start date for RID that I've heard might possibly get postponed. But that so far, is a rumor though.
2023-9-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

JodyB Posted at 9-5 13:00
I'd say your right. Wouldn't put it past the FAA to be a little behind as well as they totally skipped over the question I asked about the slated 09.16 start date for RID that I've heard might possibly get postponed. But that so far, is a rumor though.

I just emailed an old shipmate of mine who works in management at the FAA to see if he can confirm or deny the postponement.  I let you know as soon as he responds.  
2023-9-5
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-5 14:01
I just emailed an old shipmate of mine who works in management at the FAA to see if he can confirm or deny the postponement.  I let you know as soon as he responds.

That is very cool of you. I appreciate that and I’m sure a lot of others would as well. Be good to know one way or another.
2023-9-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, JodyB. We apologize for the inconvenience caused. You don't need to connect the DJI RC 2 to a network to for the RID to work. If the Remote ID serial number is displayed in “Available networks” of the WLAN, that means that it is already working.

Rest assured that the DJI Air 3 supports FAA RID requirements with the factory firmware version, while it takes time to have this update on the FAA Official Website due to the changes in the format of the materials required by the FAA to apply for RID compliance. DJI is actively communicating with the FAA in a timely manner, and it is expected that AIR 3 will be announced on the FAA website soon.

Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-9-5
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 9-5 19:07
Hi, JodyB. We apologize for the inconvenience caused. You don't need to connect the DJI RC 2 to a network to for the RID to work. If the Remote ID serial number is displayed in “Available networks” of the WLAN, that means that it is already working.

Rest assured that the DJI Air 3 supports FAA RID requirements with the factory firmware version, while it takes time to have this update on the FAA Official Website due to the changes in the format of the materials required by the FAA to apply for RID compliance. DJI is actively communicating with the FAA in a timely manner, and it is expected that AIR 3 will be announced on the FAA website soon.

Thank you DJI Gamora, but with all due respect, that doesn't really answer my question. This is kind of the proverbial run around. The FAA tells me to ask you, and the response is basically, we're working on it. That is confusing and leaves us drone users in a situation to where we don't know what to do besides sit and wait for (us in the USA) another 10 days before things are currently scheduled to go into affect with RID and not know if what we have that is supposed to work out of the box is going to work or not. Will we be able to fly? Will we be grounded until the "paperwork" is done? We just don't know.
2023-9-6
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

JodyB Posted at 9-5 15:10
That is very cool of you. I appreciate that and I’m sure a lot of others would as well. Be good to know one way or another.

Here is his answer "We are considering options with respect to relief from the 16 Sep compliance date.  We will have more to share with you in the near future on the FAA website and social media."

2023-9-6
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-6 12:34
Here is his answer "We are considering options with respect to relief from the 16 Sep compliance date.  We will have more to share with you in the near future on the FAA website and social media."

I've seen that one before lol. A couple of youtubers has received emails verbatim. At least there's hope!!

Thanks Downtown!!
2023-9-6
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

JodyB Posted at 9-6 12:42
I've seen that one before lol. A couple of youtubers has received emails verbatim. At least there's hope!!

Thanks Downtown!!

I sent him a reply and said thanks for quoting me the "party line".  He said we should see something official really soon but he was not allowed to give a timeline.  Typical government agency that waffles on making firm decisions.  
2023-9-6
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-6 13:01
I sent him a reply and said thanks for quoting me the "party line".  He said we should see something official really soon but he was not allowed to give a timeline.  Typical government agency that waffles on making firm decisions.

I figured as much. That is what I call a forced canned answer. Not what they want to tell you but what they are forced to tell you.
2023-9-6
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

JodyB Posted at 9-6 13:25
I figured as much. That is what I call a forced canned answer. Not what they want to tell you but what they are forced to tell you.

You're exactly right.  None of them want to lose their jobs for speaking without proper authorization.  In a way I can't blame them.  Surely it can't be that hard of a decision for the FAA to make.  Postpone or stick with the date.....but just make a decision. Better yet, just cancel RID altogether.  Nah, that isn't happening.
2023-9-6
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-6 14:17
You're exactly right.  None of them want to lose their jobs for speaking without proper authorization.  In a way I can't blame them.  Surely it can't be that hard of a decision for the FAA to make.  Postpone or stick with the date.....but just make a decision. Better yet, just cancel RID altogether.  Nah, that isn't happening.

I wouldn’t think it should be that difficult. I know I watched a pilot institute video, I think yesterday actually where Greg said they asked the FAA for postponement until March 2024. If for nothing else to allow module manufacturers a chance to catch up on supply. He demonstrated using the numbers that the FAA has in their website that there isn’t any way possible to provide 350,000 odd needed modules by September 16th. And even giving until March, they’d have to be able to provide 2500 a week to provide everyone with a module if they were to comply.
2023-9-6
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

JodyB Posted at 9-6 15:51
I wouldn’t think it should be that difficult. I know I watched a pilot institute video, I think yesterday actually where Greg said they asked the FAA for postponement until March 2024. If for nothing else to allow module manufacturers a chance to catch up on supply. He demonstrated using the numbers that the FAA has in their website that there isn’t any way possible to provide 350,000 odd needed modules by September 16th. And even giving until March, they’d have to be able to provide 2500 a week to provide everyone with a module if they were to comply.

Just based on those numbers alone should justify postponement.
2023-9-7
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I saw a video from Pilot Institute this morning that a postponement is coming, they just have to iron out the details before making the announcement.  Will be interesting to see what they come up with in the form of what they are calling relief.
2023-9-8
Use props
Freetime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

JodyB Posted at 9-5 13:00

Heard the same thing that it may get postponed until March of 2024 or around their.
2023-9-8
Use props
Freetime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-6 14:17

Cancel the mess now.
2023-9-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Freetime Posted at 9-8 08:36
Cancel the mess now.

You've got my vote.  
2023-9-8
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

After watching a live stream last night from the FAA's "Drone Guy" Kevin Morris, Greg from pilot institute and the guy from the Alien Dones youtune channel, I learned that even though the drone is broadcasting RID, legally it is to be on the FAA's DOC list. The DJI Air 3 is not on it. Kevin Morris said if your drone is claimed by its producer to be RID compliant and it isn't on the DOC list, to ask the producer to submit it's compliance to the FAA and they would get it on the list. Also I learned that all RID compliant drones must have a permanently attached sticker indicating their compliance.

With that I need to ask DJI to submit their compliance requests and also ask why our drones do not have a permanently attached compliance sticker.
2023-9-28
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

So I called DJI technical support. They are supposed to be emailing me a PDF to be able to put on my A3. I'm wondering how I'm going to "permanently" attach it though. I think I can come up with something though. But he didn't have much to say about why the drone isn't on the DOC list yet but replied in the typical "I will raise this question to the appropriate department and will get back to you with that." repsonse.
2023-9-28
Use props
Dep.SM
lvl.1

United States

JodyB Posted at 9-28 06:30
So I called DJI technical support. They are supposed to be emailing me a PDF to be able to put on my A3. I'm wondering how I'm going to "permanently" attach it though. I think I can come up with something though. But he didn't have much to say about why the drone isn't on the DOC list yet but replied in the typical "I will raise this question to the appropriate department and will get back to you with that." repsonse.

Did you get any updates?  I am holding off on buying an external RID.  I posed the question to the FAA and they said to take it up with DJI.
2023-11-22
Use props
Wyldwestaz10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1099068 ft
United States

I would not worry about this. The Air 3 is compliant and is transmitting the required information as indicated in Airdata. DJI is constantly in communication with the FAA and I’m confident it will be added to the compliance document. I also have the MA2 which was updated to include RFID and is transmitting but still not on the list as well.. Still about 4 months till it is supposedly going into effect so until then I’m flying. The US government like most others are never efficient in the way they operate. Patience is a virtue my friends. Enjoy.
2023-11-22
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dep.SM Posted at 11-22 06:11
Did you get any updates?  I am holding off on buying an external RID.  I posed the question to the FAA and they said to take it up with DJI.

Depends on who you ask. If you ask the FAA, they tell you to talk to DJI to get them to submit their paperwork to get their drones added to the list. If you talk to DJI, they tell you that they have submitted their paperwork.

Greg from Pilot institute says he believes the FAA has some kind of hold up on processing the paperwork.

Just more and more confusing if you ask me. I hope it gets sorted soon though.
2023-11-27
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wyldwestaz10 Posted at 11-22 11:53
I would not worry about this. The Air 3 is compliant and is transmitting the required information as indicated in Airdata. DJI is constantly in communication with the FAA and I’m confident it will be added to the compliance document. I also have the MA2 which was updated to include RFID and is transmitting but still not on the list as well.. Still about 4 months till it is supposedly going into effect so until then I’m flying. The US government like most others are never efficient in the way they operate. Patience is a virtue my friends. Enjoy.

I'm not too worried atm. They have until March to get who ever or what ever the hold up is, squared away.
2023-11-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules