Waypoints POI
1298 11 2023-9-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Arizona Wyldwest
lvl.1
Flight distance : 75194 ft
United States

I’ve flown several waypoint missions with my Air 3. I do understand how waypoint missions work and I’m very pleased with the function overall. I’ve been using Dronelink for almost 3 years and a lot of flight time so this is much simpler to set up. I am experiencing a problem when using a POI. The heading and gimbal pitch are automatically calculated based on where I place the POI marker and should pitch down and stay focus on that POI. Instead it’s focussing far above the POI marker and not even close to keeping the POI in center frame. It should point at the maker and stay on it while moving and continue until the heading is changed. As my screen shot shows of the plan, both waypoint 2 & 3 are linked to POI #1. You can see each of those waypoints have the heading direction arrow pointing at that POI. My video of the mission shows how far off it is and not even close to what it should be. I’m using my new Air 3 with the latest firmware version 01.00.0400 for both aircraft & controller. DJI Fly app current version 1.11.4, build (800). I’ve already done a firmware refresh on both drone and controller using DJI Assistant 2 (consumer drone series) PC software. I’ve calibrated the IMU, Compass and Gimbal. Everything else is working correctly. I will try a couple more different waypoint missions to see if it continues on any others. Please look into this and advise if anything can be corrected. This has happened on at least a couple plans I’ve flown. It is possible I’m missing something but POI’s are fairytale simple. I’m not sure what it could be as any of the DJI tutorials I’ve watched regarding waypoints function mentions nothing different in the way I’m setting mine up. Thanks for your time, Mike….

photo-output.jpeg
2023-9-8
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

You have to set the waypoint height also. For this scenario, set it to 0.
Screenshot_20230908_195459.jpg
2023-9-8
Use props
Arizona Wyldwest
lvl.1
United States

That makes no sense at all. A POI is supposed to focus on the POI and altitude should have anything to do with it. I’m my opinion If this is the way DJI set this up it should be changed. Thanks though. I’ll give it a try.
2023-9-8
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Arizona Wyldwest Posted at 9-8 17:00
That makes no sense at all. A POI is supposed to focus on the POI and altitude should have anything to do with it. I’m my opinion If this is the way DL set this up it should be changed. Thanks though. I’ll give it a try.

It makes perfect sense. The Point of Interest is where you want the camera to point. For a given path, if you want the POI high, set the POI altitude high. If you want it even with the path, set it the same as the drone. if you want it low, set it low. Try it.
2023-9-8
Use props
Arizona Wyldwest
lvl.1
United States

Not the way Dronelink or any other third party app works with POI’s. POI’s are always designed to fly focusing on the object. If you look at the waypoint it even shows the heading and gimbal pitch are tied together to stay on point. I’ve ran a ton of missions with DL and it’s how they should work. If this is how DJI waypoints work then it should be set by default to 0 altitude. The gimbal tilt is completely different then altitude. Thanks anyway.

2023-9-8
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

In the Fly app the POI IS the object. You are looking at the WAYPOINT elements. Now check the POI elements. Both waypoint and POI default to 164 ft.
2023-9-8
Use props
Arizona Wyldwest
lvl.1
United States

Yes. Exactly. So why when using  POI In the Fly app it doesn’t ask for an altitude input when using it. Anyway, moving on. I’ll wait for  DJI to explain why it’s this way.
2023-9-8
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Don't worry about why, just know that you have to set it.
2023-9-8
Use props
Arizona Wyldwest
lvl.1
United States

I get it. Thanks. I’ll wait for DJI to respond and hopefully figure out how to fix it to work as a POI should. That’s what this forum is for, fixing issues.
2023-9-8
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Mike. Thank you for reaching out. If you would like to align the target of POI during the flight, it is necessary to check the position of the target. If the target is on the ground, it is recommended to set the height of the POI to 0m; In general, if the height of the waypoint is higher than the target, it is recommended to set the height of the POI lower than the height of the waypoint to adjust the picture. Hope this helps.
2023-9-16
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

I know I'm wasting my time, but in the effort to be truly helpful. Say you want to record around a water. You set the water as the POI. Do you want to record the bottom of the tower? The middle? The top? Do you want the drone shot to be level, updhot or downshot? If you want an upshot of the resevoir of the 150' tall tower. The drone would be at 75' and the POI altitude would be at 125'. If you wanted a downshot of the bottom of the tower, keep the drone at 75' and change the POI altitude to 0'. Now do you get it?
2023-9-16
Use props
Arizona Wyldwest
lvl.1
United States

Thank you DJI Gamora. I understand now how DJI sets up the POI’s. Altitude offset is completely different then altitude which is what it says. I have a ton of fights with Dronelink over three years so I know how a POI works and the altitude offset. I am requesting to DJI to change the default to 0’ and add the function name of "altitude offset." Instead. Two completley separate functions and it will make it more clear. Thanks for your time. Enjoy.
2023-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules