hyper lapses acting strange
654 14 2023-9-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GuiG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 780548 ft
Netherlands

A few weeks ago, I traded my Mini 3 Pro for a Mavic 3 Pro.

I also fly a hyperlapse weekly, which you can see here. https://www.guillaumegroen.com/en/bouw-project-fotografie-baetland-hoorn/

The problem with hyper lapses is that you can't transfer them between controllers, and my RC controller that housed the hyper lapses for my mini3 pro stopped working. So I lost the hyper lapses.

Last week I recreated these hyperlapses based on the first and last image I made with the mini 3 pro and flew them. I tried to fly them again this week, but every time the drone tried to start the hyperlapse, it dropped to the ground.

The normal procedure was that it would fly up and slowly down. The second hyper-lapse is top-down. So it would fly to 40 meters and start shooting until 80 meters. But also, that one dropped down.

Maybe it is because of the weather. At the moment, it is 30 degrees centigrade. And moist.

I tried it two times. I calibrated the IMU on location and tried again.

Come home, I found out there was a firmware update again. (In between the hyperlapses, the firmware changed to the latest one (5-9-2023).) calibrated the compass and IMU again. And tried with no luck.

What is wrong? Why is this happening? I am flying this hyper-lapse as an assignment. But I cannot provide this as a paid option because it is more like a gimmick than a professional option. I can save and back them, the altitudes that always were a little off. But I could work with that. But they are now way off, and you cannot transfer them to other controllers.

Is it the weather that messes with the altitude? Or is the last firmware that has a problem with the hyperlapses? Who knows?

2023-9-10
Use props
Sir Maxwell Greene
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3525850 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I dont think it is the weather. I am in Bangkok and it is almost always 30c+ with very high humidity... I shoot hyper regularly as well but have never come across the issue you are having. I have a mavic 3 as well with the RC controller. Can you clarify what you mean by "dropped to the ground", fell out of the sky? or landed?
Why not get the files from the drone instead of the controller? All the files are stored on there as well...
2023-9-10
Use props
GuiG
lvl.3
Netherlands

When starting the hyper-lapse, normally the drone would fly up to the location and down. But dropped to the ground it would point the gimbal down and fly to the ground. I could stop the hyper-lapse 1 meter above the ground. And I usually start at 10 meters.

The second one I tried (I have three) starts at 60 meters and stops at 80 meters in the air. But it would fly down and almost hit the construction project. I stopped it at 10 meters above the ground.

It looked like the starting point was at the ground and not in the air.
2023-9-10
Use props
Sir Maxwell Greene
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3525850 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Sounds like it has something to do with your home point/ starting altitude...I'm no expert on such things but it may be something that the experts can help you with over on the other forum. You can post  your flight log and someone can check it for you, have you tried there?
2023-9-10
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

How about posting a link to the two videos.
2023-9-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're deeply sorry for the trouble. Please download the DJI Assistant 2 software and please update/refresh the firmware of the drone and have a test flight again using the Hyperlapse feature to further isolate the issue. If the issue persists, please upload a sample footage showing the issue so we can check it further. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/downloads/so ... sumer-drones-series
2023-9-10
Use props
GuiG
lvl.3
Netherlands

Mobilehomer Posted at 9-10 10:40
How about posting a link to the two videos.

The problem is that it not even started photographing. It looked like the starting point was on the ground. instead of 10 meters in the air.
2023-9-11
Use props
GuiG
lvl.3
Netherlands

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-10 20:28
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're deeply sorry for the trouble. Please download the DJI Assistant 2 software and please update/refresh the firmware of the drone and have a test flight again using the Hyperlapse feature to further isolate the issue. If the issue persists, please upload a sample footage showing the issue so we can check it further. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/downloads/softwares/dji-assistant-2-consumer-drones-series

I started in the exact location every Sunday for the past months. When I observed it yesterday for the first time, I landed the drone. Did an IMU recalibration. And I started again with the same problem.
I landed the drone and took it home. I had just uploaded the firmware because, on 5-9-2023, there was a new firmware. I received a message that there was a firmware inconsistency and updated the firmware. I recalibrated the IMU and the compass.
I drove back and tried to fly the hyper-lapse again.

The question is. Why could I fly the hyper-lapse successfully last week? After upgrading the firmware (the only thing that changed), I could not.
2023-9-11
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Release notes -
Notes:
Added features require DJI Fly v1.11.4 or later.
Camera settings will be reset after firmware update, check the camera settings in DJI Fly.
If the update fails, restart aircraft, remote controller, and DJI Fly or DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series), and retry.

Check your waypoint and POI altitudes. Someone else has had this same problem.
2023-9-11
Use props
GuiG
lvl.3
Netherlands

Do you mean to retry the update through the DJI assistant instead of the over-the-air update?

Who had the same problem is there a post about it? And what is the solution?
2023-9-11
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

GuiG Posted at 9-11 10:06
I started in the exact location every Sunday for the past months. When I observed it yesterday for the first time, I landed the drone. Did an IMU recalibration. And I started again with the same problem.
I landed the drone and took it home. I had just uploaded the firmware because, on 5-9-2023, there was a new firmware. I received a message that there was a firmware inconsistency and updated the firmware. I recalibrated the IMU and the compass.
I drove back and tried to fly the hyper-lapse again.

Please try downloading the software using the link that I provided above and update/refresh the firmware of your aircraft and RC then check if you still experience the same issue. You may also try this in different locations to check. Thank you.
2023-9-13
Use props
GuiG
lvl.3
Netherlands

I reinstalled the latest firmware via the DJI Assistant. I got the message that there were firmware inconsistencies in different modules of the drone. I reapplied the firmware and next Sunday I will try to fly the hyperlapse again.
2023-9-14
Use props
GuiG
lvl.3
Netherlands

Minor update: I have flown the hyper-lapses today—still the same issue. The first waypoint is down on street level instead of in the air.
One of the hyper-lapses starts at 60 meters in the air. But wants to begin at street level.

I recreated the hyperlapses but had no time left because it started raining.

Reflying saved hyperlapses as I did on my mini three pro is unsuccessful and does not work.
Next week I have another chance.
2023-9-17
Use props
GuiG
lvl.3
Netherlands

I can now say that the hyper-lapse option is broken on the Mavic 3 Pro.

When I create a hyper-lapse and fly it, it is ok. But when I turn off the drone and return a week later, it goes down to 0 meters or the maximum altitude and starts shooting. (down to 0 meters I did not want to try)

It worked ok on the Mini 3 Pro but is broken on the Mavic 3 Pro. The Mavic 3 Pro works fine for the rest, and I think it is a software issue in the drone.

I recreated the hyper-lapse last week, and when I would fly it again today, it will fly to the maximum altitude and start shooting. When I tried the hyper-lapse of a week earlier, it would drop. The location is correct, but the elevation is not. As if it only registers the lowest possible height or the highest.

After trying for four weeks, I concluded it was broken for subsequent use. I will try to fly it with the mini 3 pro next week. For commercial assignment use, this is not stable enough.
2023-9-24
Use props
GuiG
lvl.3
Netherlands

Is there an update on this? I still have the same problem. I cannot refly hyperlapse missions because the hyperlaps wants to start at max height or minimum height.
2-20 00:24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules