Air3 Photography still out of focus, anyone?
12Next >
3205 47 2023-9-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
oNabby
lvl.2
Flight distance : 421611 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

After a month of trying with this new air3. I tested several times, with the focusing problem.
Video recording's great, no problem at all. only the photography's still horrible. (only 24mm, 70mm's ok)

I tried to figure out if it's the problem with focusing or only the smaller sensor size. (I owned Air2s before)

Before the firmware update (28/8/23), i asked the support on live chat,

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

(24mm Lens, no filter, default setting, auto mode)
he said my photo cannot be contributed as blurry. it's normal for the blurry around the corner, but as i see, it's defocus all over the photo, lose of all details on the objects.

- Next day there's a new firmware update (28/08/23), i went out to test again. the result was nice.. still acceptable even under low light condition.

3.jpg 4-z100.jpg 1.jpg 2-z100.jpg

- I think the problem was solved then i went for another try over the mountain again on weekend

First try, under low light acceptable..
1.jpg 2-zoom100.jpg

2nd try in the morning - zoom 100%'s blurred again
3.jpg 4-zoom100.jpg

- From my understanding, if the focal length's close.. the focus's good, but the drone couldn't do the infinity focus from the distance.
Maybe it's 'cuz 12Mpx when zoomed?

- I compared my photos to my friend's on mini3pro.. MiniPro3 can do much better.. haha

I upload some more photos here ..

https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... LpvuMwt?usp=sharing

Now, I sent my drone to DJI service center and they said i've to wait for 2-3 weeks for check up. and don't know how long if the parts need to be changed..

If this's normal for 12mpx, i would bring it back, sell it and go back to Air2s

So, I just want to know if support could help? or anyone got the similar problem?
2.jpg
2023-9-15
Use props
itsalbertZ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 988310 ft
United States

Yeah, I can tell by your last few pics, that even without the zooming effect, they still look blurry.

I was getting very blurry pictures before the 8/28 update, but I can't tell if it's better for me or the same as before since I mainly fly during sunset. I should've kept the original jpg cuz all the pics I have right now are processed by lr already.

Take this one for example

2023-9-15
Use props
oNabby
lvl.2
  • >>>
Thailand

itsalbertZ Posted at 9-15 10:39
Yeah, I can tell by your last few pics, that even without the zooming effect, they still look blurry.

I was getting very blurry pictures before the 8/28 update, but I can't tell if it's better for me or the same as before since I mainly fly during sunset. I should've kept the original jpg cuz all the pics I have right now are processed by lr already.

Your photo's still under good light condition, it shouldn't be blurred..

Just try it later, different focal length.. zoom 100% for the actual size of your image

If you're happy with it, it's good for you.. but if it lose of details, we're on the same problem.. lol..
2023-9-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, oNabby. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience. Since the drone has been sent out to the service center, we recommend to wait for the results of their diagnostic. Rest assured that they will perform the necessary steps to confirm if there's an issue with the camera lens or none. After diagnostics, you will receive the updates via email. Thank you for your kind understanding and continued support.
2023-9-15
Use props
itsalbertZ
lvl.3
United States

oNabby Posted at 9-15 18:17
Your photo's still under good light condition, it shouldn't be blurred..

Just try it later, different focal length.. zoom 100% for the actual size of your image

This is me zooming to 100% in this picture. Would you say it's good or bad?
2023-9-16
Use props
oNabby
lvl.2
  • >>>
Thailand

DJI Gamora Posted at 9-15 21:16
Hi, oNabby. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience. Since the drone has been sent out to the service center, we recommend to wait for the results of their diagnostic. Rest assured that they will perform the necessary steps to confirm if there's an issue with the camera lens or none. After diagnostics, you will receive the updates via email. Thank you for your kind understanding and continued support.

Thanks Gamora for the review, hopefully they can find the problem since I hear a lot from the distributors here complained about service center in my country..
2023-9-16
Use props
oNabby
lvl.2
  • >>>
Thailand

For me, your photo result’s good.. can see all details of the buildings under the shadow..

This one’s auto setting or manual?

Mine would be defocus and like a jelly if I took photos from this distance..
2023-9-16
Use props
itsalbertZ
lvl.3
United States

oNabby Posted at 9-16 18:03
For me, your photo result’s good.. can see all details of the buildings under the shadow..

This one’s auto setting or manual?

I always shoot in manual, and I lock my iso at 100 almost all the time.

This is an HDR photo too, which means I used AEB and merged them in LR.
2023-9-17
Use props
oNabby
lvl.2
  • >>>
Thailand

itsalbertZ Posted at 9-17 09:05
I always shoot in manual, and I lock my iso at 100 almost all the time.

This is an HDR photo too, which means I used AEB and merged them in LR.

I found some guys complained with Mini3Pro got the same blurry problem, out focus even with video shoot. the solution is changing to manual focus, turn on peaking. I don't know if this problem has been fixed

I'll just wait and see if Service Center here can help with anything..
2023-9-18
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

oNabby Posted at 9-18 04:11
I found some guys complained with Mini3Pro got the same blurry problem, out focus even with video shoot. the solution is changing to manual focus, turn on peaking. I don't know if this problem has been fixed

I'll just wait and see if Service Center here can help with anything..

This is a low light pano edited and reduced in size to fit on here.
2023-9-18
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Hallmark007 Posted at 9-18 06:59
[view_image]

This is a low light pano edited and reduced in size to fit on here.

House details have a lot of blur.
2023-9-18
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Geo_Drone Posted at 9-18 23:32
House details have a lot of blur.

No actually they aren’t blurred but obviously sharpness falls off which is normal in low light, its just this is a 69 mp shot file size 13 mb and by the time it’s reduced to 643 kb and file size less than 1 mb to post here thats what you’re looking at. Yes at the the far reaches of the photo anyone would not expect it to be fully sharp particularly with slow SS and low light.
You should see a decent finished full size jpeg here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UuqXy0U5GUwLwJ5P7pNRdHSHt8JfpEy2/view?usp=share_link

2023-9-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

oNabby Posted at 9-16 18:00
Thanks Gamora for the review, hopefully they can find the problem since I hear a lot from the distributors here complained about service center in my country..

You're most welcome, oNabby. Should you need further assistance, please let us know. Have a nice day!
2023-9-19
Use props
oNabby
lvl.2
  • >>>
Thailand

Hallmark007 Posted at 9-19 01:24
No actually they aren’t blurred but obviously sharpness falls off which is normal in low light, its just this is a 69 mp shot file size 13 mb and by the time it’s reduced to 643 kb and file size less than 1 mb to post here thats what you’re looking at. Yes at the the far reaches of the photo anyone would not expect it to be fully sharp particularly with slow SS and low light.
You should see a decent finished full size jpeg here

pls change to 'anyone with the link'

it's normal for losing of details under low light.. but for the same focal distance, mine would be blurred for sure, hehe..
2023-9-19
Use props
oNabby
lvl.2
  • >>>
Thailand

DJI Gamora Posted at 9-19 03:37
You're most welcome, oNabby. Should you need further assistance, please let us know. Have a nice day!

Once I got my Air3 back, i'll get you the result ASAP

2023-9-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

oNabby Posted at 9-19 03:41
Once I got my Air3 back, i'll get you the result ASAP

Great to know you have the drone back, oNabby. Please keep us posted and have a safe flight.
2023-9-20
Use props
djiuser_TbO5pVs6d4Ax
lvl.1
Flight distance : 209974 ft

United States

I've had the opposite issue-- my 70mm is very blurry. Eager to see the results of your repair.
2023-9-20
Use props
oNabby
lvl.2
  • >>>
Thailand

DJI Gamora Posted at 9-20 05:18
Great to know you have the drone back, oNabby. Please keep us posted and have a safe flight.

Nope, not yet.. I mean once i get it back....

It's now a week already, still hear nothing from them..

they said about 2 weeks for diagnose the problem.. lol..
2023-9-20
Use props
oNabby
lvl.2
  • >>>
Thailand

djiuser_TbO5pVs6d4Ax Posted at 9-20 10:10
I've had the opposite issue-- my 70mm is very blurry. Eager to see the results of your repair.

Sorry to hear, you sent your drone to the service center yet?

It would be nice if you provide some samples

2023-9-20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

oNabby Posted at 9-20 22:05
Nope, not yet.. I mean once i get it back....

It's now a week already, still hear nothing from them..

Sorry for the confusion, oNabby. Please keep us posted once you have the drone. Have a good weekend!
2023-9-23
Use props
kan76
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9270666 ft
Bulgaria

I notice blurry photos with my Air 3 24mm camera too
2023-9-24
Use props
oNabby
lvl.2
  • >>>
Thailand

kan76 Posted at 9-24 00:43
I notice blurry photos with my Air 3 24mm camera too

have u sent it to service center for the check up?
2023-9-25
Use props
kan76
lvl.2
Bulgaria

oNabby Posted at 9-25 00:12
have u sent it to service center for the check up?

nope, i have not. Dji said i should reset camera parameters - i did. Same results. I now see there is new firmware for Air 3. Have to test with it also
2023-9-25
Use props
oNabby
lvl.2
  • >>>
Thailand

kan76 Posted at 9-25 06:05
nope, i have not. Dji said i should reset camera parameters - i did. Same results. I now see there is new firmware for Air 3. Have to test with it also

Ahhhh.. Great! Hope this should be fixed..

btw just made online purchase for Mavic 3 Pro a couple hours ago..
Should i cancel the order? Lol

2023-9-25
Use props
kan76
lvl.2
Bulgaria

oNabby Posted at 9-25 06:24
Ahhhh.. Great! Hope this should be fixed..

btw just made online purchase for Mavic 3 Pro a couple hours ago..

For me there is big difference in price between Air 3 and M3P .. For sure M3P is better drone but since I got the Air 3 I mainly use the 3X camera which is the same one in the M3P. The M3P has 7x lens also. But if you do not need 7x and mainly use 3x I think the Air 3 will do the job perfectly.
2023-9-25
Use props
oNabby
lvl.2
  • >>>
Thailand

kan76 Posted at 9-25 07:07
For me there is big difference in price between Air 3 and M3P .. For sure M3P is better drone but since I got the Air 3 I mainly use the 3X camera which is the same one in the M3P. The M3P has 7x lens also. But if you do not need 7x and mainly use 3x I think the Air 3 will do the job perfectly.

same idea, it's about doubled price to get m3p. and I dont need 7x lens, only 3x's enough.
also the extra weight gained, last weekend i went off with m2p, and feel like 200g weight extra made a big difference.

i just cancelled the order after i saw your post about the fw update. and gonna bring it back from the service center and try again.. If still not work,  byebye Air3 lol..

2023-9-25
Use props
kan76
lvl.2
Bulgaria

oNabby Posted at 9-25 17:51
same idea, it's about doubled price to get m3p. and I dont need 7x lens, only 3x's enough.
also the extra weight gained, last weekend i went off with m2p, and feel like 200g weight extra made a big difference.

I hope it gets fixed. Keep us updated
2023-9-25
Use props
oNabby
lvl.2
  • >>>
Thailand

kan76 Posted at 9-25 19:47
I hope it gets fixed. Keep us updated

I got my drone back, I talked to the guy at the service center, he sent the diagnostic result to DJI already, nothing to be fixed.. I updated the new Firmware and test it already. Condition this evening,
Good Lighting, 90m height, 24mm with 12mpx. (48 mpx won't be differ.)

zoom in :

will upload more JPG on googledrive
-----------------------------------------------------
Result still not much better still blur due to the sensor size, i think.

I feel like Air3 's just minipro 3 in larger body with 3x lens.. It's great with 3x lens..
Great for video... I'll get another test this weekend..

2023-9-26
Use props
flying-coyotus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 105249 ft
France

With AF sometimes it is good, sometimes no, so it is not reliable.
On another topic on this forum I found this video, it is explained that it is more reliable and stable with Manual Focus, cursor on the logo "Mountain", I guess it is the infinite position.

For me the result is much better.

2023-10-2
Use props
oNabby
lvl.2
  • >>>
Thailand

flying-coyotus Posted at 10-2 03:03
With AF sometimes it is good, sometimes no, so it is not reliable.
On another topic on this forum I found this video, it is explained that it is more reliable and stable with Manual Focus, cursor on the logo "Mountain", I guess it is the infinite position.

Yup, I found this video too, but DJI should find out the problem, we bought the drone with AF system and DJI did it perfect with the older Air series before.

after the latest update. I tried with MF already. The peaking showed full focus area. But it's still out of focus.

I still confirm, mine's mostly out of focus with 24mm lens on photography. but video's great. no matter AF or MF. and i replaced my air3 to Mavic Pro 3 already. I tested with 7x lens which sensor's smaller than Air3, the quality's much better.. ..  Bye Air3 ... lol
2023-10-2
Use props
itsalbertZ
lvl.3
United States

Seems like I still have the same issue too. Both pictures are taken around the same time with 24mm camera, 12MP mode.
Both use manual with the lowest iso and AEB 5. Merged in LR, Deghost Medium, Auto setting.

The first picture seems ok

But this one is blurry.

I took 17 HDR photos, and 4 of them were blurry. This is almost 1/4. Not acceptable.

2023-10-3
Use props
oNabby
lvl.2
  • >>>
Thailand

itsalbertZ Posted at 10-3 11:18
Seems like I still have the same issue too. Both pictures are taken around the same time with 24mm camera, 12MP mode.
Both use manual with the lowest iso and AEB 5. Merged in LR, Deghost Medium, Auto setting.

if you asked support, they would explain about the limitation of the sensor size.. it's normal, lack of sharpness around the edge of the photos..

result's not stable.. just wait for another update

if dji couldn't solve this, we better go for dji mini pro 3/4, lol
2023-10-3
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

oNabby Posted at 10-3 19:37
if you asked support, they would explain about the limitation of the sensor size.. it's normal, lack of sharpness around the edge of the photos..

result's not stable.. just wait for another update  

That is not OK, as You cannot have an Air 3 that give photos more blurred than Mini 3.

I also notice 24mm lens to be in a profound lack of details, especially at trees can be easy seen...Is like the sensor is trying to maximize a smaller image...Both JPG and DNG have same issues....
On other hand, 3X lens is failing a lot of times at focusing...A lot different from that crazy RYYB sensor from competition that have a super precise focus and sharpness in details...
I strongly believe that DJI needs to refine both cameras at AIR 3, at this point is killed by any 250 USD phone camera....far far....
2023-10-3
Use props
oNabby
lvl.2
  • >>>
Thailand

Geo_Drone Posted at 10-3 23:21
That is not OK, as You cannot have an Air 3 that give photos more blurred than Mini 3.

I also notice 24mm lens to be in a profound lack of details, especially at trees can be easy seen...Is like the sensor is trying to maximize a smaller image...Both JPG and DNG have same issues....

that's correct, similar to phone camera 5-6 years ago.. hehe
2023-10-3
Use props
Yazu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2351857 ft
  • >>>
Finland

Stopped using autofocus on drones when I bought the Mini 3 Pro, just found it to be very unreliable.  As for the Air 3 the focus, at least on my unit, seems to be a bit wonky even on manual focus.
Where , pretty much all my other drones, the infinite focus is on the top bars on the AIR 3 it seems to be the 5th or 6th bar from top.

I did a test where I went through 10 focus bars counting from the top going down, and the top ones had blurry images. Coming closer to the 5th and 6th bar the images got a lot sharper on detail near the camera and in the distance. This is on the main 24mm camera, on the 70mm infinite focus seems to be as on the other drones I have.
Anyone else noticed / tested this?
2023-10-5
Use props
oNabby
lvl.2
  • >>>
Thailand

Yazu Posted at 10-5 01:51
Stopped using autofocus on drones when I bought the Mini 3 Pro, just found it to be very unreliable.  As for the Air 3 the focus, at least on my unit, seems to be a bit wonky even on manual focus.
Where , pretty much all my other drones, the infinite focus is on the top bars on the AIR 3 it seems to be the 5th or 6th bar from top.

I tested  with 1-3 bar from infinity focus. same result. Sometimes good (still not 100% focus) , sometimes bad but mostly bad result.  I got no problem with Video at all even with AF.

The drone got AF function why bother using only MF??? I don't know if they could fix this 100% on mini3 pro? try to check on DPreview for sample gallery .. the mini2 still do much better.. lol
2023-10-5
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Yes, I feel (and see) that compared to Air 2 pictures from Air 3 look like they are tiny bit out of focus or blurred (despite the larger file size). Not visible at RC 2 display usually but visible on computer display zooming in to 100%. I have to try different settings for manual focus...
I hope DJI can improve that.
2023-10-5
Use props
Yazu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2351857 ft
  • >>>
Finland

oNabby Posted at 10-5 02:23
I tested  with 1-3 bar from infinity focus. same result. Sometimes good (still not 100% focus) , sometimes bad but mostly bad result.  I got no problem with Video at all even with AF.

The drone got AF function why bother using only MF??? I don't know if they could fix this 100% on mini3 pro? try to check on DPreview for sample gallery .. the mini2 still do much better.. lol

I did actually wait 'till they posted some samples, other people posted sample photos from the AIR 3 before I bought the drone. Most of the sample photos on DPreview were out of focus, so though the person who took them didn't really care  if they were in focus or not.

So not sure if this is a more global issue with the drones camera or just a software problem.
2023-10-5
Use props
oNabby
lvl.2
  • >>>
Thailand

Yazu Posted at 10-5 03:29
I did actually wait 'till they posted some samples, other people posted sample photos from the AIR 3 before I bought the drone. Most of the sample photos on DPreview were out of focus, so though the person who took them didn't really care  if they were in focus or not.

So not sure if this is a more global issue with the drones camera or just a software problem.

๋Just now, i know it's not only problem for few ppl. since more&more guys replied my post. i sent mine to the service center and the diagnosed result was normal.

i think they still couldn't find the cause of the problem&i don't think it's the gimbal issue.. btw sold mine already. after i saw the video above about MF, it means DJI couldn't fix..

i will wait until they put back 1" sensor
2023-10-5
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Have made a panorama with the 70mm camera yesterday....results are clear, F2.4 is OK in focus...200% zoom and pixel peeping seems reasonable for that sensor.
But...the 24mm lens F1.7 seems to have issues...Maybe poor lens of camera, maybe implemented software that does not pull AF correctly, but pictures looks with issues in details and focus.
As we work each day with drones, I believe I know how to see an image that is not sharpen and is killing details...
The best is to try and take a photo of a tree full of leafs... You can see how much is blurring and killing all details...
Both tests made in DNG and JPG.

Let's hope DJI will act in solving it.
2023-10-5
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules