Confused and Cautious
1092 16 2015-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sooty II
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hello All.
I cant fathom what to make of my Phantom 2 and I am not confident flying it for the first time without correcting what is wrong.
So, as a picture paints a thousand words I am hoping you experienced ones can tell me what's up with my Phantom setup and/or what I must do.

See video.
Many thanks Sooty

2015-9-2
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

1st thing to check is that the Phantom / camera and Vision app are all the latest versions.
Check the web page for the Vision for all 3 firmware updates.
The find my Phantom will not work without GPS lock, the Red flashing LED means not enough sats for Home lock. (Assuming you are in NAZA mode)
2015-9-2
Use props
Sooty II
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Vision app is definitely latest.
Camera firmware is unknown so I guess I must load the current firmware via the micro SD card slot in the back of the camera. (I've been trying to do it by connecting through a PC link with no success)
I have downloaded FC200_firmware_v1.1.9 (guess this is latest that I must load via the Micro SD??)
Yes, its in NAZA mode.

Cheers
Sooty
2015-9-2
Use props
Sooty II
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Do you think the firmware would also account for the WiFi dropping out immediately after opening the app?
2015-9-2
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

looks like ur wifi unit in phantom is dead.

did it EVER  work?

gps location is correct at least:  0,0 is EXACTLY off east coast of africa as shown.

you are connected to wifi extender as shown on phone, but wifi box in phantom is dead.

if you dont believe this, verify it by downloadig a free wifi strength program like 'wifi analyzer:' you should see TWO sigs on same channel;  one labeled your wifi extender, that works here, and the other no name one is the phantom itself - you will likely find it MIA..
PS:  I assume you use one of the wifi booster programs?  How high did you have it set last time it worked?

2015-9-2
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

On you phone turn off the Bluetooth and all unused apps. Make sure the wifi unit is bound to the quad and then MAC address used is from the copte bottom under the  QR code. If not sure also hook to the assistant and look tomseenwhatnit shows in the firmware. You need at least 6 GPS satellites to get a good lock  
I would start at ground zero. Check the assistant and be sure I had all the latest firmware and upgrades. Then do the IMU,RC and compass calibrations. Fully charge the battery, wifi extender and check the RC battery level. Fire it up and do the compass cal outside away from any metal objects. Once that is good start the PHantom and make sure you are getting good satellite lock and home lock. All rear LED's rapid flashing green. Then your ready for take off. If your getting any other color of LED holler and some one may be able to help resolve that issue. Take your time and give it a try.
2015-9-2
Use props
Sooty II
lvl.1

United Kingdom

yorlik Posted at 2015-9-2 23:35
looks like ur wifi unit in phantom is dead.

did it EVER  work?

Thanks yorlik,
I will try WiFi analyser like you said.
I don't know anything of the history of the Pantom. My Brother passed away and left it to me.
I'm under some pressure not to fail in using it so I want everything as it should be before I take off for the first time!

I haven't learnt that I should use a Wi-Fi booster program. Is there one you recommend please?
2015-9-3
Use props
Sooty II
lvl.1

United Kingdom

roy@mcscomputer Posted at 2015-9-3 05:13
On you phone turn off the Bluetooth and all unused apps. Make sure the wifi unit is bound to the qua ...

Hi Roy,
I know my Bluetooth was on so will address that. I had already made sure the WiFi unit is bound to the quad and sorted the MAC address. I used the cable for the PC and the quad, then using the assistant software I did IMU calibration all with fully charged batteries and fully charged extender. The assistant showed all firmware/software up to date although I cant say if that's true about the camera firmware.
When im trying to do a compass calibration it seems to not respond (as if no signal from my rotating of the quad is registered)
I have noticed the quad doing rapid flashing green lights but it only stays like that for say 10 sec and then solid green for a short period and then it goes back to my Red, Red, Green light cycle.

Many thanks
2015-9-3
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

You check the camera firmware by looking in the vision app.
NAZA mode first set of rapid green flashes is IOC lock, you will get a second set after home point is set, but not until you have 7 sats or more, the red red green means less than 5 so you need to wait longer or find an open area well away from any trees or buildings.

On the phone, turn off mobile data, also check the cable to the camera is firmly attached.

Compass calibration needs to be done correctly, when you say it does not respond, what exactly are you doing ?
2015-9-3
Use props
Sooty II
lvl.1

United Kingdom

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-9-3 19:55
You check the camera firmware by looking in the vision app.
NAZA mode first set of rapid green flash ...

Looks like im heading to a field to get more than 6 sat then
With compass calibration im following the instruction to rotate the quad 360 deg in horizontal.
I do this continually for many rotations but never get the lights indicating that it has configured which would then lead onto doing a vertical rotation setup.
2015-9-3
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

Sooty II Posted at 2015-9-4 02:11
Hi Roy,
I know my Bluetooth was on so will address that. I had already made sure the WiFi unit is  ...

sounds like your compass calibration is working fine:  if it fails then you get flashing yellow.  when it ends and goes to red red green, that means it passed with flying colors and went into regular mode, showing you number of sats as johnwarr explained.
2015-9-3
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

read some nazi description some more;  it is very confusing for sure.  you only need 6 sats to transition to all green and no red and have gps locks.

a great site I enjoy:  http://www.pattayadays.com/2014/ ... e-phantom-2-vision/
2015-9-3
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

So you set the calibration and get the solid yellow light, then after turning the phantom horizontally 360 it does not change to green ?

2015-9-3
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

a wifi sniffer like I mentioned is great to help understand the relation between your phone, extender, and phantom....  It shows you clearly that you get NO INDICATION THAT YOUR PHONE IS CONNECTED TO THE PHANTOM AT ALL - without a sniffer....  remember, your phone never transmitt to your phantom; it transmits to your extender.  THAT device then REPEATS your phones message to the phantom.  

the phantom DOES transmit directly to your phone - it has enough power that it does not need the extender.  

so realizing the extender is only a one way device, and that without a wifi analyzer, you have NO way to tell if the phantom is transmitting to your phone if you have no video or telemetry. the only idication you get on your phone is showing if you connect to the extender only.

knowing this helps diagnose from the facts you see.
2015-9-3
Use props
Kilted Flyer (D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

Make sure your phone is in "airplane" mode and data turned off. the wi fi unit on that quad is inside the camera. I fly the same quad myself. On the safe side make sure you have "7" satelites locked on before takeoff, not 6.
2015-9-4
Use props
Sooty II
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thank you all very much.
I know from what you have said above, I have plenty to check on before I come back with an update to my situ.
Loads of great insight and knowledge from you all so thanks very much.

I will let you know how it goes
Cheers
Sooty II
2015-9-4
Use props
Sooty II
lvl.1

United Kingdom

yorlik Posted at 2015-9-4 00:12
read some nazi description some more;  it is very confusing for sure.  you only need 6 sats to trans ...

yorlik, that link helped me a lot.
I've never seen any info on the flashing lights or what the hell NAZA was (don't have the original instructions) so that's fab.
Cheers
Sooty II
2015-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules