Mini 3 Pro Buoyancy
1570 13 2023-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bruegemeister
lvl.2
Flight distance : 199301 ft
United States

Thanks for the answers to my previous post about over heating, a lot of good info in the comments. I'm probably going to ask some more stupid questions in here but first I'm searching throug the threads to see if someone has already answered my question.

My next question concerns buoyancy. I am doing a lot of flying over water, fresh and salt water here in Florida at the moment and am wondering what would happen in a worst-case scenario if the Mini 3 Pro went into the water. I’m going to assume the aircraft would be a total loss electronically, but would the drone float, or sink? I’m not planning on flying it into the water, but as far as recovery of the aircraft would it float and I could fish it out with my boat, or should I assume, it would sink, and I need some sort of dive gear to recover it?

2023-9-18
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think every instance of a DJI drone accident I've seen in the past threads here, ie Air series, Mini series, always resulted in the drone sinking. So be mindful on your flying and yes, you'd need a boat or dive gear for recovery depending on depth and water temps.
2023-9-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Your are flying a lead fishing weight and a well ventilated fishing weight at that, it will sink almost as quickly as a fishing weight. It's full of holes to let air ...... and water flow through it. ..... it's not designed to keep water out of all its airspaces.
2023-9-18
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

There is such an option, but it has increased sensitivity to wind.
Sc5af56716e04406e9e03bdf8f88c0aa3f.jpg
S8569ef17e1c24eb58a05b9e6cfb354f2c.jpg_480x480.jpg
2023-9-18
Use props
videoeditman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6713271 ft
United States

When flying low over water keep an eye on the drones height as some have had the drone lower itself into the water. Secondly a number of people with the mini 3 (pro) have had some issues with dronie modes, hopefully this issue has been fixed via firmware but not known for sure!
2023-9-18
Use props
PolAir
lvl.2
Flight distance : 642073 ft
Australia

videoeditman Posted at 9-18 09:38
When flying low over water keep an eye on the drones height as some have had the drone lower itself into the water. Secondly a number of people with the mini 3 (pro) have had some issues with dronie modes, hopefully this issue has been fixed via firmware but not known for sure!

As an experienced 'naval aviator' with my M3P, I can assure you that they sink like a brick.
2023-9-18
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Drone.Hunter Posted at 9-18 09:07
There is such an option, but it has increased sensitivity to wind.
[view_image]
[view_image]

On fresh water perhaps, but this option is also not very useful if the drone crashes upside down in the salty water...
2023-9-18
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

Burt37 Posted at 9-18 14:57
On fresh water perhaps, but this option is also not very useful if the drone crashes upside down in the salty water...

You won't have to dive for him anyway
2023-9-18
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Burt37 Posted at 9-18 14:57

If one has care refresh, anything that stops the drone from sinking is a bonus, no drone, no claim except for the "Fly Away" coverage, thats a fairly recent addition though and you only get one go at that.

2023-9-18
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It sinks hard and fast, my advice would be to keep it above 10m to be on the safe side and do not use sports mode over the water below 10m until you have some experience behind you. below 10m  or so, the VPS kicks in, it is this that cannot play well with reflective surfaces as per the manual. Also, sports mode, the drone has a tendency to lose altitude, hence not to use it above water lower than 10m, but i would say 15m to be on the safe side for a beginner.
2023-9-18
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

This is what happens
2023-9-18
Use props
Bruegemeister
lvl.2
Flight distance : 199301 ft
United States

Ranjan Posted at 9-18 19:09
This is what happens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD539VTCvvg

Well that answers the question, surprised they were able to resurrect it. A few years ago I purchased a "submersible" VHF Marine Band radio for my PWC and thought it was a good idea because it could go in the water with me. Turns out it was a bad idea because the thing sank straight to the bottom if it wasn't on a lanyard. I replaced it with a new one a year ago which is "floating" so if I do go in the water, at least the radio doesn't sink.
2023-9-18
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Bruegemeister. Thank you for reaching out. The drone will eventually sink if it falls into the water and the drone will be water-damaged as it is not waterproof. For the recovery, it depends on the scenario or how deep the water would be but hopefully, other users can provide you suggestions about what they did about it.
2023-9-18
Use props
pinkmenprints
lvl.4
Singapore

I assume it would "sink like a rock"
2023-9-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules