How to download list of flights (not flight logs)
737 9 2023-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SendNoSpam
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1378215 ft
United States

In the DJI Fly app, in the Flight Data Center area of the app, I can see a list of flights from all or from specific drones bound to my account (Mini 2 drones only so far).

At this time, I do not need to get the actual flight logs, but I would just like to download a list of the flights (just date, and maybe distance, altitude and duration).

Without writing them all down one at a time on a piece of paper (or in a document), can I download just the list (not the flight logs contents)?

And where does the "Flight Distance" (shown in feet) on my forum profile on the left come from?

2023-9-19
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don't know if this will work on a phone or controller but when I want to create a list of the logs in a folder on my windows computer I run the "dir command in a command-line and output the result to a suitable file. eg "Dir DJIF*.txt > file_name.csv".
If it is possible to open a "terminal" on an Android phone or controller then at a guess the corresponding command run in the flightrecord folder would be something like
"ls DJI*.txt > name.csv", unfortunately I would be surprised if you can run a terminal on an Android phone or the controller. I imagine the command on an iphone would be much the same but would guess the chances of being able to open a terminal would be even less.

The way I would try what you want to do is, download ( copy or move ) the logs to a windows computer [ I know you dont want to but ..... ] and then run the Dir command in a command-line in the folder were you save the logs.

It has probably taken me longer to type this reply than it would to copy the logs across to windows and run the command. I am pretty sure you could also copy the logs to a Mac and run a command in the folder where the logs are stored.
2023-9-19
Use props
SendNoSpam
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the idea.

Its not that I don't want to download the flight logs, but I was hoping that there was a simple way to download just the list of flights, that does not require downloading the raw flight logs from all my devices.

Over the years that I've been flying, I have used an android phone, an iOS phone, and an Android tablet to do flights.  Which device I connect to which controller for which drone for each flight, depends on the circumstances and where I happen to be at the time of the flight.  Over time, I have already downloaded all the raw flight log files from all the devices I have used, and stored those away on my home server.

On Android, it is super easy to find and download the raw flight logs - just connect your android device to your computer, and it shows up just like an external drive, and then use the FileExplorer/Finder, or a command shell/terminal app, to browse the directory/folder structure of your android device down to where the Fly app stores the raw log files.  For iOS devices, it is more difficult, but I generally just locate them on the iOS device itself using a file app, and then email them to myself.  After downloading the raw flight log files, I eventually get around to uploading them to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/, and from there I downloaded the decoded csv flight logs it generates from the raw flight log files.  The raw flight log files can get pretty big, so after downloading them to my computer, then I generally delete those log files from my devices, so they are not there anymore.

Especially if you use multiple devices to do your flights, and even with multiple controllers and multiple drones, and even if you delete the raw flight logs from your devices at some point, all your flights from any of those devices, controllers and drones on your account that have been synced to the DJI cloud, still show up in the Flight Data Center in the Fly app, where you can play back the flights regardless of which device was used, and whether you have deleted the raw flight logs from your devices or not.

The list of flights in the Flight Data Center of the Fly app, is a convenient master list to check against, to make sure I have downloaded all the raw flight log files, and to make sure I have logged them all in my flight log notebook that I keep with my drone.

I was just hoping that there was be a convenient way to download the list of flights from the Flight Data Center in the Fly app.
2023-9-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you sync your flight logs to airdata.com you can see a list of  flight that can be copied and pasted to a list somewhere or there are reports etc.
2023-9-19
Use props
SendNoSpam
lvl.2
United States

Another possible solution - thanks.

Still hoping for a response from DJI, whether this is available directly in the Fly app.  Sounds like probably not.

2023-9-20
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Let's just say I am in the same boat but larger with regards to screen devices and probably drones and possibly logs.
For an IOS screen device and a Windows computer you can, from memory, copy the logs to windows via iTunes. I rarely use the iPhone hence the vagueness.
If you have drones that use Go or Go4 you can process the 'raw' DJIFli*.txt flight log with TXTlogToCSVtool
https://phantompilots.com/threads/tool-win-offline-txt-flightrecord-to-csv-converter.70428/
and generate the/their csv/s.
I think that csv/s is missing literally 1 or 2 useful columns when compared to the PH csv or, the cells in those columns are empty, but that might work both ways.
A different version, TXTlogToCSVtoolMM, will process Mavic Mini flight logs recorded by pre version-1.2.2? Fly Apps. I haven't tested it on the logs from other early Fly app drones.
You can use a one-line command-line 'script' to process the raw DJIFli*.txt flight logs en-masse using the appropriate TXTlogToCSVtool but if you have the PH csv's downloaded and saved I'd stick with them.

If you are not interested in the .DAT flight log from the screen device then syncing the logs on each screen device and for each app  with DJI should standardise each app's log list and contents on all your screen devices but I get the impression syncing can take a while, especially for any logs that need to be downloaded FROM DJI.

If all your downloaded-to-computer fly app logs are in one folder and up to date then I would suggest running the " dir /b  DJIFl*.txt.  >  fly_app_log_list.csv "  command is the easiest way to go.
Alternatively just set the folder to display the files in the "details" view. I find that view quite useful, for me at least,  because the "date modified" column corresponds to when the log was created in the screen device. I use that to match DAT logs to .txt logs since some of my phones give the DAT's name time-stamp in the 12h clock and others give the DAT's name time-stamp in the 24h clock.

With regards a logbook, if you can programme you could write a script to read your csv's, extract what information you want and produce a log book. I have done this using Linux, it can, for this progamming numpty at least, get a bit complicated if the csv's come from different sources.

With regards to airdata, the freebie account can only store 100 flight logs plus the nomenclature in the list is in a different format to DJI's

You might like to look at https://www.flightreader.com but that's a 'buy it ' bit of software, it's from Msinger who is also reponsible for the phantomhelp logviewer. Flightreader can be run en-masse on the txt flight logs but it could be expensive if you have a lot of drones. I like it but have only 'trialed it' and only to generate the csv's, it might be able to generate a log book but I haven't checked that.

2023-9-20
Use props
SendNoSpam
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the many great suggestions.  

@Dirty Bird
I was expecting that is what the flight distance meant, but I don't think I have flown 260 miles in the last 2 years.  Maybe there are duplication's in my sync'd log list.  I'm looking through the list to do a sanity check.

@Sean-bumble-bee
I have been a programmer (software developer) for 45 years (so far), so writing a custom program and/or script is no problem.

All my raw flight logs are from several Mini 2's (so far), so all the raw (.txt) flight logs are encrypted.  So unless I am willing to pay for one of the encrypted log capable programs, I'll need to decrypt/convert them to csv offline one at a time using something like https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/.

I've done that with almost all of the raw flight logs so far.

You mentioned "the .DAT flight log from the screen device".  Does this mean that besides the encrypted raw flight log .TXT files, that the fly app also stores another .DAT version of the flight log?  how does it differ from the encrypted .TXT version?
2023-9-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. It can only be viewed on the DJI Fly App. You can export the flight controller data from the drone, but you can not open and view the flight controller data. I hope you get some awesome suggestions from the other users. Have a great day ahead.
2023-9-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The screen device DAT contains more information about technical aspects of the drone, if you have a look at the thread and poll
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=297333
you will see mention of some of those features.
Perhaps you would vote in that poll?
Take note of BudWalker's posts in the comments concerning that poll, I think CsvView might be his, see
https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... t-log-files.114006/
&
https://datfile.net/CsvView/downloads.html

If you have a look at post 23 of
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 4&page=1#pid3045949
you will find a link to a Mini 3 Pro screen device DAT.
Download that DAT and then process it with CsvView, once the processing has finished click the left-most entry in the top tool-bar and "export" the csv and you will be able to see the information that a Mini 2 screen DAT probably contains. Good luck working out what some of the data streams are about lol.

Unfortunately Mini 2 DATs are unreadable/unprocessable. These DATs, found in the "MCDatFlightRecords" folder,  are deleted during a sync. If in future you wish to save them copy or move them to computer etc. BEFORE you sync the .txt flight logs with DJI.

There is a second DAT, on the drone, which may be even more comprehensive but sadly it too is unreadable.

You might also like to read
https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... alysis-guide.78627/
It's a very good read.

PS in any of the links fail let me know

2023-9-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Having just typed the above I have just remembered. For me syncing seems to create two additional folders in the folder "FlightRecord".
I recollect that one of those folders contains a 'list' of synced logs, the 'list' is actually a set of 1? kb files. From memory the names of those files were either complete log-names or recognisable as log-names. I have only perhaps a dozen flights synced and I deleted those additional folders etc.  
2023-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules