666 17 2023-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SD_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’ve been flying different kinds of drones (mostly DJI) for years. I recently traveled to Mexico with the Mini Pro 3. This drone is actually one of the smallest and lightest I’ve ever flown. One morning, I put it up in the air and flew at a distance of about 3000 ft, when I started getting a weak signal. I tried to move the RC around since I was at an open beach area. Still a weak signal then a few seconds later, another weak signal. The drone was not responding to any of my stick movements; then completely disconnected. Honestly I became a bit anxious as I thought “oh no“ but I said I can’t and won’t panic. Then the RC quickly gave beeping sounds and went into (RTH) return to home point mode. I didn’t cancel (but thought did I preset altitude but yes I did) and thought wait ok I have enough battery to come home point - it was at 70%. I also recalled that I made sure as I always do on my flights that I make sure that home point is always recorded. I also make sure altitude is programmed to at least 200ft. I began to realize that the drone was coming closer and closer with negative distance showing on the RC I canceled the RTH when I had eyes on it. OMG what a feeling. Yes ! The Mini 3 Pro was right there.

I relied on my piloting skills but especially trusting the amazing DJI technology.

Message to newer pilots, Do Not panic. Equally important is to preset your RTH numbers.  Before continuing flight make sure home point is recorded. I can’t tell you how any pilots lose their drone because they didn’t record home point as the drone doesn’t know where to return.

Also do not take long distance flights without enough battery. I was also keeping an eye on the power which was still at 70%.
2023-9-21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there, SD_Pilot. We really appreciate you for sharing this experience you had. We're glad that there is no incident that happened on your unit and you managed to bring it back using the Return to Home feature. This will really help our fellow pilots here on how to handle this kind of situation. Should you have any inquiries or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-9-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Presuming you distance is in feet then, as a supposed lesson to new pilots, I would suggest that you delete all reference to such BVLOS distances. For many pilots, new and old, such distances would be illegal and the 'lesson' remains equally valid with out them.
Besides which,
a) new pilots might fly the outbound leg downwind and have an upwind RTH flight path, which, from distance, is unwise and has cost people their drone.
b) Bearing in mind that a beach flight may be taken to mean a flight over water, excess height adds the risk of putting the drone up into stronger winds, I don't see the need for an RTH height of 200ft over water unless there are perhaps 'tall' ships or wind turbines in the way.
c) I would give more emphasis to NOT CANCELLING the disconnection RTH, if indeed, that was the set failsafe option. I suspect that many new pilots would be repeatedly pressing the RTH button in such circumstances ... all unaware that that alternately cancels and starts an RTH.
2023-9-21
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12401030 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Can you explain "...closer with negative distance showing on the RC....

Negative distance ?  how is that possible?

cheers
JJB
2023-9-21
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

Your stated distance seems strange to me: 43,000ft is 13 kilometers in Germany and I can't imagine that you can reach this distance with only about 30% of the battery. I'm also a little skeptical whether the Mini 3 Pro can reach such a distance under real conditions, the DJI specifications are to be achieved only under absolutely optimal conditions.

2023-9-21
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

JJB* Posted at 9-21 22:50
Hi,

Can you explain "...closer with negative distance showing on the RC....

I think he simply means that the distance information on the display become smaller
2023-9-21
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Space Dream Posted at 9-21 23:30
Your stated distance seems strange to me: 43,000ft is 13 kilometers in Germany and I can't imagine that you can reach this distance with only about 30% of the battery. I'm also a little skeptical whether the Mini 3 Pro can reach such a distance under real conditions, the DJI specifications are to be achieved only under absolutely optimal conditions.

I wondered about that too but they might have the larger capacity battery and the equipment might be using FCC signal mode.
As for the 70%, I can't comment.
It's around 13:40 minutes at full elevator in sports mode and somewhat over 21 minutes in normal mode and RTH, so I'd guess they were 'cutting things a bit close'.

2023-9-22
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 9-22 02:30
I wondered about that too but they might have the larger capacity battery and the equipment might be using FCC signal mode.
As for the 70%, I can't comment.
It's around 13:40 minutes at full elevator in sports mode and somewhat over 21 minutes in normal mode and RTH, so I'd guess they were 'cutting things a bit close'.

What is the FCC mode ? - Is it legally available with the Mini 3 Pro and the RC remote ?

2023-9-22
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FCC and CE are two sets of rules governing radio power etc..
In Europe the applicable set is the CE set.
FCC is the set applicable in USA and, I think, Canada and seemingly Mexico.
You'd need to google for anywhere else.
With your drone you don't need to worry about it, the drone and controller will select the correct set, CE in Europe.
I would suggest you don't try to change that.
2023-9-22
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 9-21 21:33
Presuming you distance is in feet then, as a supposed lesson to new pilots, I would suggest that you delete all reference to such BVLOS distances. For many pilots, new and old, such distances would be illegal and the 'lesson' remains equally valid with out them.
Besides which,
a) new pilots might fly the outbound leg downwind and have an upwind RTH flight path, which, from distance, is unwise and has cost people their drone.

For sure. Important to be aware of your surroundings and was somewhat lucky there weren't any crosswind conditions to make it more difficult.

b) Bearing in mind that a beach flight may be taken to mean a flight over water, excess height adds the risk of putting the drone up into stronger winds, I don't see the need for an RTH height of 200ft over water unless there are perhaps 'tall' ships or wind turbines in the way.

Yes most of the flight was over water. I have it preset at 200 ft as a default. I rather keep it there. Better safe than sorry I didn't raise the alt.

c) I would give more emphasis to NOT CANCELLING the disconnection RTH, if indeed, that was the set failsafe option. I suspect that many new pilots would be repeatedly pressing the RTH button in such circumstances ... all unaware that that alternately cancels and starts an RTH.

Exactly. That's why it's important not to panic.
2023-9-22
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JJB* Posted at 9-21 22:50
Hi,

Can you explain "...closer with negative distance showing on the RC....

Negative distance meaning -  the distance of the drone was getting closer and closer to the home point.
2023-9-22
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Space Dream Posted at 9-21 23:30

I had 70 % battery when it went into RTH mode - Not 30%. If I only had 30% the drone 100% would've never made it back to home point. I would've had to land it elsewhere. Conditions were pretty good. Some wind in the higher elevation but brought the drone down to lesser wind conditions. I'll see if I can pull the data with the distance. I've flown long distance over water but would never do that in a populated area. New pilots take heed.
2023-9-22
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

This Mini Pro 3 is a BEAST !
2023-9-22
Use props
eruby
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11831 ft

United States

WOW, do they really go 8 miles in open areas? That is amazing. I have trouble seeing mine at 100 yards.
I know, laws are made to be broken. Most of us do that whenever we get into a car but 8 miles - -that's just wicked crazy.
2023-9-22
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

eruby Posted at 9-22 10:51
WOW, do they really go 8 miles in open areas? That is amazing. I have trouble seeing mine at 100 yards.
I know, laws are made to be broken. Most of us do that whenever we get into a car but 8 miles - -that's just wicked crazy.

8 miles?... You'd need a military drone.

I've flown the MP2 approx 6 miles (total) over water but only once. Not something I do regularly. Most of my flights I keep within view as I'm filming subjects.

2023-9-23
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Correction:

I misread the realtime RC data. II double checked the RC data and it recorded 911 meters so roughly 3000 ft.

Altitude was 47 m so roughly 154 ft.
2023-9-23
Use props
pinkmenprints
lvl.4
Singapore

RTH is the savior !
2023-9-23
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain