Why did I crash? (Loss of control/veered then crashed)
629 18 2023-9-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
saripsis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 240531 ft
United States

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/7N8ANCFYLV12L20P7ROH/

Avata
Goggles 2
Motion Controller 2
DJI Fly App

Was flying for a battery length before this.  Swapped batteries and did all the "vibe checks".
This happened a few minutes in.  It just suddenly veered off and decided to back it's butt into the bushes.
I found it upside down with the battery unplugged (it was strapped in, I bought an after market holder thingy)
The Avata itself didn't record it.

I wiped it off, and it flew well for the length of the next battery.
I have no idea what happened.  Was it pilot error or did something go weird?
I'm kinda nervous because I barely found my drone.  No beeping because the battery became unplugged.  Don't want that to happen again.

Thanks for taking a look.

2023-9-24
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Did you get this log by connecting a phone to the goggles, if so and if you have not synced you logs with DJI can you have a look in the phone and, where you found this flight log,  see if you have a folder named MCDatFlightRecords? If so do you have a DAT flight log in there whose name contains "FLY107"  ? Is so can you download it to your computer. I do not know if that log will be readable but you could try processing it with CsvView,
https://datfile.net/CsvView/downloads.html .
Could you also upload that file to a file hosting site, make its page public and then post the URL here. If it turns out to be readable it may give someone some additional info to work with.
2023-9-24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, saripsis. Thank you for reaching out. We're sorry to read about what happened. Since the drone crash, we recommend sending it in for proper diagnosis. You may submit an online repair request through this link: {https://repair.dji.com/repair/index}. If you need assistance with creating a ticket, you may contact DJI support at (https://www.dji.com/support). Should you want to have a data analysis, you may request it as well but please note that there might be a fee depending on the warranty of the device. Hopefully, other users can provide you with the information that you need.
2023-9-24
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39646480 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

DJI will never admit it (I tried!) but Avata has a mind of her own I encountered it many times 3 times very severe (see below first two) and the third one I lost it But other than that Great drone

2023-9-24
Use props
saripsis
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the advice.  There was no dat file that had that specifically, but they were close.
I zipped all the ones that have the correct date.
https://1fichier.com/?u7v010zw2pcddb5500v9

Watching the video I saw the Home icon fly across the screen.  Did the GPS coords randomly change. Could that have something to do with it?
2023-9-25
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39646480 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

saripsis Posted at 9-25 02:36
Thanks for the advice.  There was no dat file that had that specifically, but they were close.
I zipped all the ones that have the correct date.

My theory is that this behavior is connected to bad GPS coverage and in my case moving water under the drone (and very low speed - never happened on a speed!) but those are speculations - the problem is she flyes herself and do not listened to controls as it's visible from sticks on a clips
2023-9-25
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
Flight distance : 5966247 ft
  • >>>
United States

saripsis Posted at 9-25 02:36
I zipped all the ones that have the correct date.

I'm having a lot of trouble with the public sharing site you are using. Can you try something else; e.g., Dropbox or GoogleDrive.

The .DAT index number scheme is different from most DJI platforms. The .DAT you're looking for will have a name
FLYxxx-107-YYYMMDDHHMMSS.DAT
2023-9-25
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BudWalker Posted at 9-25 07:23
I'm having a lot of trouble with the public sharing site you are using. Can you try something else; e.g., Dropbox or GoogleDrive.

The .DAT index number scheme is different from most DJI platforms. The .DAT you're looking for will have a name

Ah that scheme is the same as the one used on the FPV, sorry didn't think of that.
2023-9-25
Use props
saripsis
lvl.2
United States

BudWalker Posted at 9-25 07:23

Google Drive

Sorry about that.  I think this one is the right one of the group.  Thank you so much for taking a look!
2023-9-25
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

saripsis Posted at 9-25 08:49
Google Drive

Sorry about that.  I think this one is the right one of the group.  Thank you so much for taking a look!

Thanks, that's the right .DAT. Did you use the joystick on the MC2?  Or were inputs just a combination of MC2 attitude and the trigger throttle; i.e., rolling, pitching and yawing the MC2 and then pulling/pushing the trigger? I suspect it’s the latter. That being the case it appears there was no throttle being applied when the Avata backed up into the bushes. If the joystick wasn’t being used the Avata should have remained stationary.

2023-9-26
Use props
saripsis
lvl.2
United States

BudWalker Posted at 9-26 05:50
Thanks, that's the right .DAT. Did you use the joystick on the MC2?  Or were inputs just a combination of MC2 attitude and the trigger throttle; i.e., rolling, pitching and yawing the MC2 and then pulling/pushing the trigger? I suspect it’s the latter. That being the case it appears there was no throttle being applied when the Avata backed up into the bushes. If the joystick wasn’t being used the Avata should have remained stationary.

Yep, that's correct.  I wasn't using the joystick.  As soon as I felt like I was losing control, I released the trigger and kept my arm as still as possible.  It was in the bushes before I could press the pause button.
2023-9-26
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I don’t really have much in the way of an explanation - I’m quite perplexed. As I said in my previous post the pilot didn’t cause flying into the bushes via any MC2 inputs.

There is a discrepancy between east velocities. The GPS receiver determines the east velocity from the doppler effect on the received satellite signals. This data is then fused with several other data (accelerometer, gyro and magnetometer) to get a higher resolution east velocity that is then used for navigation. In this case the fused value is [0.0 – 0.2] m/s. The actual value from the GPS receiver is -3.3 m/s; i.e a 3.3 m/s west velocity. A westerly velocity is also confirmed by the video.
2023-09-26_17-04-20.jpg

One possible explanation is that the FC thinks the Avata should be moving west instead of being stationary or have a small east velocity. To compensate a west thrust vector is commanded.

The mobile device .DAT is just too slow to see if this the case and the onboard .DAT is encrypted. Without the faster onboard .DAT it’s hard to know why the fused east velocity is incorrect. Since the fused value depends on accelerometer, gyro and magnetometer data an IMU and a compass calibration would be a good idea.

2023-9-26
Use props
saripsis
lvl.2
United States

BudWalker Posted at 9-26 16:01
I don’t really have much in the way of an explanation - I’m quite perplexed. As I said in my previous post the pilot didn’t cause flying into the bushes via any MC2 inputs.   
  There is a discrepancy between east velocities. The GPS receiver determines the east velocity from the doppler effect on the received satellite signals. This data is then fused with several other data (accelerometer, gyro and magnetometer) to get a higher resolution east velocity that is then used for navigation. In this case the fused value is [0.0 – 0.2] m/s. The actual value from the GPS receiver is -3.3 m/s; i.e a 3.3 m/s west velocity. A westerly velocity is also confirmed by the video. [view_image]
 One possible explanation is that the FC thinks the Avata should be moving west instead of being stationary or have a small east velocity. To compensate a west thrust vector is commanded.   

Thanks for all your help.  I decided to send it in for a proper look and repair, especially since it appears it isn't my fault and could be something wrong with the drone itself.
2023-9-27
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

saripsis Posted at 9-27 09:04
Thanks for all your help.  I decided to send it in for a proper look and repair, especially since it appears it isn't my fault and could be something wrong with the drone itself.

If DJI provides any information about the incident please post that.
2023-9-27
Use props
saripsis
lvl.2
United States

BudWalker Posted at 9-27 10:41

I got a message from DJI that they received and assessed the drone.  It just listed the cost of replacing the superficial damage from the crash.  No mention of the software error.  I sent an email to support to see if I can get more information.  
2023-10-4
Use props
saripsis
lvl.2
United States

BudWalker Posted at 9-27 10:41

I finally got a response:

I have now received the feedback from our engineers and according to them are as follows:

•  There was no date of incident when customer submitted the case online  that's why we evaluated the first incident that we found on the flight  records.
• There is another incident in FLY0107 dated 2023-09-24  where the unit was moving towards the left due to user giving a tilt  right causing the unit to move right and rotated right, which makes the  unit move towards the left and back.
• The unit had previous impact  and that can affect unit's future performance. Damaged done to unit  after crash/impact will affect future performance of the unit if not  fixed/repaired before future flights. There might be no visible damage  but internal component/parts could have been affected. It could work  fine for whatever amount of time but the fact remains that damage done  to the unit from its prior incident (with the prolonged use without  fix/repair) could make the unit experienced abnormal behavior on its  future flights. It is highly recommended to send in the aircraft for  further inspection before future flights.

We apologize if this  case remains non-warranty due to there's an initial crash/impact and the  said incident was not caused by any product malfunction. As a gesture  of goodwill from DJI, we are willing to offer an exclusive 20% off  discount on your repair quotation. We hope this adjustment fulfils your  expectations and demonstrates how important you and every single  customer to us. If you accept this offer, please directly reply to this  email so that we can process it for you.

We'll look forward to your response and get back to you accordingly. Thank you!

It doesn't make sense to me.  But at this point I'm too tired and disappointed to care.  At least they offered a 20% discount to fix everything but the part that's broken.

2023-10-17
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I read this several times.
" There is another incident in FLY0107 dated 2023-09-24  where the unit was moving towards the left due to user giving a tilt  right causing the unit to move right and rotated right, which makes the  unit move towards the left and back."

And it still doesn't make any sense to me
2023-10-18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Did you have a cash at any point and time prior to the flight of this thread?
2023-10-20
Use props
saripsis
lvl.2
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-20 10:18
Did you have a cash at any point and time prior to the flight of this thread?

Oh yeah.  A lot of scrapping the ground and bumping into small twigs.  I even had a prop disintegrate on me.  That took a tumble on pavement.
2023-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules