123Next >
26840 100 2023-9-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Steph Jant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 152329 ft
United Kingdom

I am interested to know what the maximum altitude is you can set for the new Mini 4 Pro drone in the UK?  Is it 120m or 500m?

According to YouTuber Phillip Skraba, in the EU it has been set to a maximum of 120m from your launch position - which is a problem if you’re flying your drone up the incline of a hill or mountain.  This same constraint doesn’t exist with the Mini 3 Pro. The maximum altitude you can set is 500m. So in the UK and EU you can take your Mini 3 Pro up to a maximum height of 500m from your launch position (for example as you fly up a hill or mountain) provided you maintain a max altitude of 120m above ground level at all times
2023-9-26
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

See my photo, Im in the UK and my mini 4 pro has a C0 marking, as you can see maximum height can be set to 500 metres.
20230926_162342.jpg
2023-9-26
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thanks very much
2023-9-26
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Steph Jant Posted at 9-26 07:41
Thanks very much

Your welcome.
2023-9-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mavic57pro2 Posted at 9-26 07:40
See my photo, Im in the UK and my mini 4 pro has a C0 marking, as you can see maximum height can be set to 500 metres.

Just checking ... is the drone connected in the photo you posted?
Or did you just have the controller powered on?
2023-9-26
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 9-26 12:17
Just checking ... is the drone connected in the photo you posted?
Or did you just have the controller powered on?

The drone was connected to the RC2 controller.
2023-9-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mavic57pro2 Posted at 9-26 12:34
The drone was connected to the RC2 controller.

OK ... thanks for confirming.
2023-9-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Yes, we can set the maximum altitude of the DJI Mini 4 Pro to 500m under the DJI Fly app > Safety > Flight Protection when flying your drone in the UK. You may also want to check the Optimal Transmission Zone under the DJI Mini 4 Pro user manual Page 81 to have a better signal when flying. Thank you for your valued support.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _User_Manual_EN.pdf
2023-9-26
Use props
greg_p
lvl.3
Flight distance : 243865 ft

France

C0 is a US or European marking (at least) and these regulation forbid C0 drone to fly over 120m from takeoff place, reading today's regulation of these countries. Each country has its own regulation then.
2023-9-26
Use props
djiuser_GXwO86r96d1R
lvl.1
Flight distance : 614573 ft
Sweden

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-26 22:05
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Yes, we can set the maximum altitude of the DJI Mini 4 Pro to 500m under the DJI Fly app > Safety > Flight Protection when flying your drone in the UK. You may also want to check the Optimal Transmission Zone under the DJI Mini 4 Pro user manual Page 81 to have a better signal when flying. Thank you for your valued support.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI_Mini_4_Pro/DJI_Mini_4_Pro_User_Manual_EN.pdf

What's is about EU? is it confirmed it will stay maximum 120m?
2023-9-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_GXwO86r96d1R Posted at 9-26 22:45

EU Class C0 drones are limited to EU laws to 120m max altitude,  in other countries like the UK or USA the drone will detect where it is and allow 500m to be set.
2023-9-26
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Japan

EASA rules change for C0 class drones for 120m above ground level and get rid of the obstacle exception so yes, you'll never be able to increase over 120m as it would lose C0 type certification in EASA airspace.
2023-9-27
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

Applies in EU: The UAS operator ID must not only be visibly attached to the outside of the drone, for example, but must also be entered in the firmware / software of the drone in the case of classified drones. This is usually possible in the manufacturer's app. For DJI drones, this is done in the DJI Fly app in the settings under "Safety" > "Drone identification" > "Pilot registration no.". This ID as well as the position of the drone is then also sent permanently during the flight.

The permitted maximum flight altitude is 120 meters above ground level -> ? not from start point ?

Flight only in line of sight (VLOS = Visual Line Of Sight). Exception: the drone flies in Follow Me mode
(at DJI also called ActiveTrack or FocusTrack) or there is an observer next to the pilot and has instead
the drone in view and is in constant contact with the pilot !

Flying is allowed in all subcategories of the OPEN category (subcategories A1, A2 and A3)
also near people, even uninvolved persons

No crowds / gatherings of people should be flown over - Should unexpectedly uninvolved persons be overflown,
this overflight must be terminated as quickly as possible - May be flown alone from a minimum age of 16 years

Flying is also allowed in residential areas / over residential properties with permission !
2023-9-27
Use props
fanse84c9c93
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18881 ft
Italy

Foc CO certfied drones the european easa limit is 120 meter from the takeoff point!
2023-9-27
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
United Kingdom

My initial question to the Forum has been overtaken by events. ALL Mini Series drones will be restricted to 120m when flying in the EU. I found this official DJI comment (in response to another thread posted on the Forum)….

“In accordance with European Drone Regulations, all other currently-available drones of the DJI Mini series (e.g. Mini 2 SE, Mini 3, Mini 3 Pro) will be restricted to an altitude limit of 120m later this year via a DJI firmware update. Customers of the above-named, currently-available DJI Mini-series drones (before Mini 4 Pro) will be able to apply retroactively for C0 class identification labels in Q4 this year via a process we will share in due course.”

I am assuming, however, that in the UK we will still have a 500m maximum altitude ceiling that can be set (although we have to fly the drone at no more than 120m AGL)
2023-9-27
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Steph Jant Posted at 9-27 23:04
My initial question to the Forum has been overtaken by events. ALL Mini Series drones will be restricted to 120m when flying in the EU. I found this official DJI comment (in response to another thread posted on the Forum)….

“In accordance with European Drone Regulations, all other currently-available drones of the DJI Mini series (e.g. Mini 2 SE, Mini 3, Mini 3 Pro) will be restricted to an altitude limit of 120m later this year via a DJI firmware update. Customers of the above-named, currently-available DJI Mini-series drones (before Mini 4 Pro) will be able to apply retroactively for C0 class identification labels in Q4 this year via a process we will share in due course.”

The quote in post 15 is from post 12 in the thread
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 1&extra=#pid3140282
"Mini 4 in EASA will be capped to 120m no matter what"
2023-9-27
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 9-27 23:31
The quote in post 15 is from post 12 in the thread
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 1&extra=#pid3140282
"Mini 4 in EASA will be capped to 120m no matter what"

Yes that is where I found it thanks
2023-9-27
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Steph Jant Posted at 9-27 23:33
Yes that is where I found it thanks

I know, I was going to do the same thing you did, quote it and draw peoples' attention to it.
2023-9-27
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. In accordance with the new European Drone Regulation that will come into effect on 1 January 2024, DJI's Mini 4 Pro will be launched with a C0 class identification label and therefore be restricted to an altitude limit of 120m that cannot be increased in any scenario (https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal- ... ri=CELEX:32019R0945 - ANNEX, Part 1). This measure has been introduced by the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) to allow safe flight operations for drones weighing less than 250 grams. In accordance with the same European Drone Regulation, all other currently-available drones of the DJI Mini series (e.g. Mini 2 SE, Mini 3, Mini 3 Pro) will be restricted to an altitude limit of 120m later this year via a DJI firmware update. Customers of the above-named, currently-available DJI Mini-series drones (before Mini 4 Pro) will be able to apply retroactively for C0 class identification labels in Q4 this year via a process we will share in due course. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-9-28
Use props
Girwet
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

Thank you for your answer, DJI Paladin.

I have to ask though : does (or would) DJI concider releasing a C1 class Mini 4 pro Plus in EU ? Because I think quite a lot of people would be interested in a lightweight drone (although above 250g) without the height restrictions of C0 class. I understand changing the class "on the fly" is complicated, not to say impossible, but what if it was sold as a C1 class (which could not be changed, but consumers and professionnals would have the choice, depending on their use).
2023-9-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Girwet Posted at 9-28 04:26
Thank you for your answer, DJI Paladin.

I have to ask though : does (or would) DJI concider releasing a C1 class Mini 4 pro Plus in EU ? Because I think quite a lot of people would be interested in a lightweight drone (although above 250g) without the height restrictions of C0 class. I understand changing the class "on the fly" is complicated, not to say impossible, but what if it was sold as a C1 class (which could not be changed, but consumers and professionnals would have the choice, depending on their use).

You are most welcome. We are following the rules and regulations applied by the local authorities. The maximum takeoff Weight should always be considered when they select the CE Class. DJI Mini 4 Pro is set as C0 since the Max Takeoff Weight of the unit is <250 g while the drones that are classified as C1 (Mavic 3/Mavic 3 Cine/Mavic 3 Classic/ DJI Air 3) have the Max Takeoff Weight of <900 g. Hope this helps. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-9-28
Use props
Girwet
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-28 20:00
You are most welcome. We are following the rules and regulations applied by the local authorities. The maximum takeoff Weight should always be considered when they select the CE Class. DJI Mini 4 Pro is set as C0 since the Max Takeoff Weight of the unit is

Yes, I understand the Max Takeoff Weight criteria for classification, but why couldn't the Mini 4 Pro with the longer flight time (and heavier) batteries, sold outside EU, be released in EU as a C1 class drone ? The Max Takeoff Weight would be under 900g.
2023-9-30
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Girwet Posted at 9-30 02:36
Yes, I understand the Max Takeoff Weight criteria for classification, but why couldn't the Mini 4 Pro with the longer flight time (and heavier) batteries, sold outside EU, be released in EU as a C1 class drone ? The Max Takeoff Weight would be under 900g.

Thank you for your feedback. We will coordinate this with our relevant team for clarification. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
2023-10-2
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 19496844 ft
United States

Space Dream Posted at 9-27 02:01
Applies in EU: The UAS operator ID must not only be visibly attached to the outside of the drone, for example, but must also be entered in the firmware / software of the drone in the case of classified drones. This is usually possible in the manufacturer's app. For DJI drones, this is done in the DJI Fly app in the settings under "Safety" > "Drone identification" > "Pilot registration no.". This ID as well as the position of the drone is then also sent permanently during the flight.

The permitted maximum flight altitude is 120 meters above ground level -> ? not from start point ?

Boy the EU sure knows how t suck the fun out of everything . How sad to have so many restrctions
2023-10-3
Use props
Ms Ivy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 19496844 ft
United States

Steph Jant Posted at 9-27 23:04
My initial question to the Forum has been overtaken by events. ALL Mini Series drones will be restricted to 120m when flying in the EU. I found this official DJI comment (in response to another thread posted on the Forum)….

no mention of the mini2 though,
2023-10-3
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ms Ivy Posted at 10-3 06:10
no mention of the mini2 though,

DJI has confirmed in writing on this Forum that firmware will be issued by 1/1/24 restricting ALL drones in the Mini Series to 120m.  So for the avoidance of doubt, this is the Mavic Mini, Mini 2, Mini 3, Mini 3 Pro, Mini 4 Pro (and any other drones that I have not listed in the Mini Series).  This is an EU directive and applies to ALL drones below 250g (not just DJI)
2023-10-3
Use props
meteoadriatic
lvl.1

Croatia

Steph Jant Posted at 10-3 07:49
DJI has confirmed in writing on this Forum that firmware will be issued by 1/1/24 restricting ALL drones in the Mini Series to 120m.  So for the avoidance of doubt, this is the Mavic Mini, Mini 2, Mini 3, Mini 3 Pro, Mini 4 Pro (and any other drones that I have not listed in the Mini Series).  This is an EU directive and applies to ALL drones below 250g (not just DJI)

It does not apply to all drones under 250g but drones in C0 class. It is a huge difference. Why? For example, put extended battery into any Mini drone and your drone is not anymore C0 class, now it is C1 class and still restricted to 120m which does not have to be according to the C1 class rules.

So, even if it is a EU rule, and even if DJI really wants to get C0 class designation on their Mini products, it is still not impletented properly. At least, this restriction should be lifted when extended battery is used, because in that case drone cannot be C0 class anyhow so restriction becomes useless.
2023-10-3
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
United Kingdom

meteoadriatic Posted at 10-3 09:16
It does not apply to all drones under 250g but drones in C0 class. It is a huge difference. Why? For example, put extended battery into any Mini drone and your drone is not anymore C0 class, now it is C1 class and still restricted to 120m which does not have to be according to the C1 class rules.

So, even if it is a EU rule, and even if DJI really wants to get C0 class designation on their Mini products, it is still not impletented properly. At least, this restriction should be lifted when extended battery is used, because in that case drone cannot be C0 class anyhow so restriction becomes useless.

I forgot to mention that DJI is also planning to classify (retrospectively) all drones in the Mini Series to C0 and the process for doing this will be communicated later in the year. Don’t shoot the messenger.
2023-10-3
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

meteoadriatic Posted at 10-3 09:16

"For example, put extended battery into any Mini drone and your drone is not anymore C0 class, now it is C1 class"
This statement is not accurate. A C0 drone to which the mass is modified by providing an accessory other than those provided does not pass into C1. It simply loses his C qualification and therefore is locked to A3.
2023-10-3
Use props
r_fly_!
lvl.2
Switzerland

Can someone confirm that the Mini 4 Pro won't be restricted to 120m if I buy it now and won't do any firmware updates from now on?

EASA states the following: "Maintain flight altitude below 120m above ground level." I think this is not technically realizable in all cases:
Example: You stand on an exposed mountain top. You fly 5m above yourself and then fly off to the side and there is a vertical drop of 500m. Suddenly, you are 505m above ground level.

The other case that has been mentioned here and bugs me as well: Let's say, I fly in a narrow valley. The valley is around 100m deep and off to the sides there are trails I could walk to... You all get my point, I think. This is just ridiculous.

I don't see a drone being useful anymore in mountainous areas, if the 120m limit will be implemented. A limit that won't completely address the EASA restrictions anyway.

There should be other ways to address this, I think. Cars can go much faster than the allowed speed in most countries...
2023-10-11
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

r_fly_! Posted at 10-11 12:37
Can someone confirm that the Mini 4 Pro won't be restricted to 120m if I buy it now and won't do any firmware updates from now on?

no one here can make the confirmation.  only guesses and wishes.  some say your drone will be grounded until you update.  some say your drone already have the code with a timer on it to trigger later.  nobody knows for sure; not even the dji phones that have been giving "answers" over the telephone and in chats or emails.

get your point, a 120m above take off point hard limit while living in the mountains will be difficult.  however, 120m above ground level is not unreasonable and we may not like it but it's doable with some flexibility of course.
2023-10-11
Use props
r_fly_!
lvl.2
Switzerland

The Saint Posted at 10-11 13:30
no one here can make the confirmation.  only guesses and wishes.  some say your drone will be grounded until you update.  some say your drone already have the code with a timer on it to trigger later.  nobody knows for sure; not even the dji phones that have been giving "answers" over the telephone and in chats or emails.

get your point, a 120m above take off point hard limit while living in the mountains will be difficult.  however, 120m above ground level is not unreasonable and we may not like it but it's doable with some flexibility of course.

thx. yeah, seems like that, but at least DJI should know and communicate accordingly.

120m above ground level: i agree - doable, but certainly limits everyone living in mountainous areas quite severely. and the guys who made the law should understand that it can't be implemented 100%... the car analogy makes sense, i think.

hope there will be some clarification - otherwise i won't buy the m4p which i really looked forward to.
2023-10-11
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

r_fly_! Posted at 10-11 14:05
thx. yeah, seems like that, but at least DJI should know and communicate accordingly.

120m above ground level: i agree - doable, but certainly limits everyone living in mountainous areas quite severely. and the guys who made the law should understand that it can't be implemented 100%... the car analogy makes sense, i think.

you said "120m above ground level: i agree - doable, but certainly limits everyone living in mountainous areas quite severely."

since i live in a completely flat area, i don't understand how this limits everyone living in the mountainous areas, please explain?
2023-10-11
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 10-11 15:22
you said "120m above ground level: i agree - doable, but certainly limits everyone living in mountainous areas quite severely."

since i live in a completely flat area, i don't understand how this limits everyone living in the mountainous areas, please explain?

If they fly from let's say halfway up a hillside, they can only go up/forward 120m or if they are in a valley they can only go up/forward 120m. They are restricted when going up a hill, whereas yourself and I living in flatlands are only limited by VLOS or till the signal poops it.
2023-10-11
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 10-11 16:30
If they fly from let's say halfway up a hillside, they can only go up/forward 120m or if they are in a valley they can only go up/forward 120m. They are restricted when going up a hill, whereas yourself and I living in flatlands are only limited by VLOS or till the signal poops it.

sorry that wasn't my question.

maybe i should clarify:  currently the rules says a drone is restricted to fly 120m above ground level.  currently there is not physical limitation on how high the drone can fly should you decide to break the law.  my question is if you live in a mountain area and you have to keep your drone within 120m of the ground directly below it, how is that a severe restriction?

again, just so you do answer the other question which we are all aware of and mostly agree with, not asking why you need to have your slider adjust to allow the drove to fly higher than 120m over the take off point.  am i missing something?  do you really need more than the ability to fly higher than 120m AGL?  i honestly don't think that will change unless i bumps up to 500 feet.  you recall is said "...it's doable with some flexibility of course."
2023-10-11
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 10-11 16:52
sorry that wasn't my question.

maybe i should clarify:  currently the rules says a drone is restricted to fly 120m above ground level.  currently there is not physical limitation on how high the drone can fly should you decide to break the law.  my question is if you live in a mountain area and you have to keep your drone within 120m of the ground directly below it, how is that a severe restriction?

You're definitely missing something, i have answered as to why it would be a severe restriction in a mountainous area.

If one wanted to fly in the direction that would require ascending, the drone would be restricted to a horizontal distance of 120m due to the 120m height restriction.

I don't know about anyone else but to me that would be classed as severely restricted. To go higher, further, one would have to walk or climb, that right there defeats the who object of having a drone.
2023-10-12
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 10-12 03:17
If one wanted to fly in the direction that would require ascending, the drone would be restricted to a horizontal distance of 120m due to the 120m height restriction.

Oh ok, so let me see if I understand this correctly.  You are saying:  When the new rules go into effect at the beginning of the year, if DJI makes changes to the Mini drone, the restriction would not only install a max height altitude (vertical) of 120m from the take off point but also it will install a max distance (horizontal) of 120m from the take off point as well, is that correct?

Never heard that before.
In any case, there is no such restriction today at the moment and therefore I was right, having a rule that says you are restricted to 120m above ground level is not a real problem for people living in the mountains.
2023-10-12
Use props
aurisoft
lvl.2
Flight distance : 91529 ft

Lithuania

Never heard about it. My M4P is in EU and after first update still allows to set 500m.
2023-10-12
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 10-12 04:31
Oh ok, so let me see if I understand this correctly.  You are saying:  When the new rules go into effect at the beginning of the year, if DJI makes changes to the Mini drone, the restriction would not only install a max height altitude (vertical) of 120m from the take off point but also it will install a max distance (horizontal) of 120m from the take off point as well, is that correct?

Never heard that before.

I am unaware of a distance limit but with regards to height.

Say I wanted to fly a drone up Ben Nevis, with things as they stand now I could theoretically take off at 56.78951098723707, -5.055812343016791, near 20m AMSL, and reach approximately 56.79252761452998, -5.035708631557785 at around 520m AMSL.
That would also be legal providing the drone flew gradually up the slope and didn't break the "within 120m of the ground" rule.

If the new rule were applicable to the UK then, when that rule came into force and launching from the same spot, I could go no higher 120m relative to the take off point or 140m AMSL anywhere irrespective of the AGL.
old vs New EU limit.png
2023-10-12
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-12 05:06
I am unaware of a distance limit but with regards to height.

Say I wanted to fly a drone up Ben Nevis, with things as they stand now I could theoretically take off at 56.78951098723707, -5.055812343016791, near 20m AMSL, and reach approximately 56.79252761452998, -5.035708631557785 at around 520m AMSL.

already knew that.  i understand people are afraid of what's coming in the future.

as of right now, today, all is well, correct?
2023-10-12
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules