Phantom 3 Professional - pan camera
12Next >
11648 43 2015-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nicholas.goss
lvl.1

Australia

Hi all, I have purchased a professional edition of the Phantom 3. All of the adverts I saw for the P3 Pro, says that the gimbal is a 3 axis allowing for pan and tilt.

Well I have the unit here and it's only tilting the camera up and down.
Am I missing something?

I am seeing many threads on various forums saying that the P3 only has tilt and to pan you have to move the quad left and right.
I really hope thas not the case because as I said, all the advertising material says the pro has a 3 axis gimbal allowing for pan as well as tilt.

If anyone knows how I can get the pan to work, if it does have it, can you please let me know.

I know that when I turn the unit on, the camera does what appears to be a self test, and it swings the camera in all directions, inclduding pan. So I dont know why I can using my finger to tilt the camera in the app but I cannot seem to pan it?

Nick
2015-9-3
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You cannot PAN the camera via the Gimbal ( no idea where you saw this mentioned, checked the DJI site and no mention of panning ). 3 Axis does not mean it can be used for manual Panning. Just that it will maintain stability when YAW'ing

You can of course, just YAW the P3 to achieve panning.
2015-9-3
Use props
nicholas.goss
lvl.1

Australia

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-3 17:34
You cannot PAN the camera via the Gimbal ( no idea where you saw this mentioned, checked the DJI sit ...

Just about every advertisement in just about every online store says it can pan...

Here is the very first result from a google search

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/pr ... nal_quadcopter.html

pan.PNG
2015-9-3
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nicholas.goss Posted at 2015-9-3 10:42
Just about every advertisement in just about every online store says it can pan...

Here is the ver ...

The 3 Axis has pan and tilt but only the tilt is controllable by the user.. The pannign functions is puerly for keeping the camera stable.

Not sure what advert in particular made you buy it on the presumption of a user controllable panning gimbal but it might have well been badly phrased. Take it back and buyband Inspire 1 if you really need a camera you can move side to side.
2015-9-3
Use props
nicholas.goss
lvl.1

Australia

I might add- no the DJI site does not confirm if it pans... but it also does not say it doesn't. The info on the DJI site is not specific regarding the gimbal at all. It just says its got a 3 axis gimbal...

Also, when you goto the page that says it's got a 3 axis gimbal, the camera in the pic, PANS !
2015-9-3
Use props
nicholas.goss
lvl.1

Australia

sploodge Posted at 2015-9-3 17:48
The 3 Axis has pan and tilt but only the tilt is controllable by the user.. The pannign functions i ...

Would be nice if this was made clear. Its not clear on the DJI site.

Thank you for helping me however.
2015-9-3
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nicholas.goss Posted at 2015-9-3 10:51
Would be nice if this was made clear. Its not clear on the DJI site.

Thank you for helping me howe ...

Done some searches and I agree, some retailers ( including BH ) have it very badly worded in describing the gimbal. DJI just mention 3 axis but the camera does "pan" in the animation. It sure does look confusing especially if you don't realise its JUST talking about the 3-Axis feature of the gimbal.

Not sure who you purchased it from but if it was BH then they are very reputable and would likely refund with no issues.
2015-9-3
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 329409 ft
United Kingdom

If you give even the slightest thought to your assumption that the gimbal will pan, then for about 300 degrees of the 360 pan you will be filming the landing gear.
What ever happened to common sense?
2015-9-3
Use props
paullindqvist
lvl.2

Sweden

While some advertising  wording might be "questionable", for most people i think this is crystal clear..Read the spec's and there will be no confusion.  As for the image animation on DJI website where the gimbal moves slightly, well that movement is there, but for stabilisation purpose only.  So no false advertising there.

2015-9-3
Use props
spiderbot.sb
lvl.4
United States

liningiv Posted at 2015-9-3 06:13
If you give even the slightest thought to your assumption that the gimbal will pan, then for about 3 ...

Are you aware of the landing gear retract kit that's available?

2015-9-3
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
United Kingdom

You open the body.
You invalidate all G'tees.
2015-9-3
Use props
Fred1969
lvl.2

United States

I guess I'm not seeing why you even need a camera that will pan.  It's a flying platform.  Just use your yaw.
2015-9-3
Use props
Absolonkort
lvl.2

United Kingdom

spiderbot.sb Posted at 2015-9-3 12:36
Are you aware of the landing gear retract kit that's available?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p ...

Looks cool,  although the Antennas would be 90 degrees different to the controller (unless you remember to move the Controller ones to match).  Also, would the compass be affected, again being 90 degrees OOP.  Still looks cool though.
2015-9-3
Use props
Sling Shot
lvl.3

United States

Fred1969 Posted at 2015-9-3 04:42
I guess I'm not seeing why you even need a camera that will pan.  It's a flying platform.  Just use  ...

Retractable landing gear is ridiculous on the P3
2015-9-3
Use props
Fred1969
lvl.2

United States

Sling Shot Posted at 2015-9-3 08:35
Retractable landing gear is ridiculous on the P3

I think you replied to the wrong post but I agree there is no reason what so ever to add retracs.
2015-9-3
Use props
tommycbaker
lvl.3
United States

yeah a retractable landing gear seems like a setup for a VERY bad day.  I can see people landing directly on their camera.
2015-9-3
Use props
ppkessler
lvl.2

France

Just wait for the next feature to come out: a retractable camera kit!!!     
2015-9-3
Use props
liningiv
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Why retract when you can't pan the camera?
Need a new controller / software / etc etc.
On the other hand why doesn't the OP buy the Inspire?
Or simply use the Yaw control?
2015-9-3
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

tommycbaker@swb Posted at 2015-9-3 09:34
yeah a retractable landing gear seems like a setup for a VERY bad day.  I can see people landing dir ...

Not at all. You just order the super duper deluxe enhanced motors. They come automatically with a co-pilot. If you try to land without lowering the retractable gear, the co-pilot pulls the trigger on an ear-shattering klaxxon to remind you to lower the gear.

WARNING: Even with the increased motor power, flight times are severely limited.
2015-9-3
Use props
nicholas.goss
lvl.1

Australia

Well the Inspire has the camera hanging out the bottom so I don't see why the phantom being in that configuration would be an issue.

Anyway.. why am I asking about panning?
Why is it NOT ridiculous for me to think that when ad advertisement says "3 axis gimbal with pan and tilt" that the machine would actually come with the ability to pan the camera?

Because ultimately I would like to setup up FPV goggles with head tracking.
But if the camera wont pan, I can forget about head tracking !!

Head tracking wont yaw the machine.

The whole point of head tracking is that the camera will move with your head !!!

Yes I understand that you will get some legs in some of the view but its not a case of it blocking the view totally.
2015-9-3
Use props
nicholas.goss
lvl.1

Australia

liningiv Posted at 2015-9-4 01:05
On the other  ...

Because as I said in my original post, all the P3 Pro adverts led me to believe that you COULD pan the camera "3 axis gimbal with pan and tilt".....

Of and I don't have $4,000 for an Inspire... $2,100 for a P3 Pro is enough for me...

(Australian Dollars)
2015-9-3
Use props
nicholas.goss
lvl.1

Australia

1 Final thing.

The P3 Pro camera DOES pan.... you just cannot pan it yourself (no user pan control).

It makes no sense to me at all why you would install a 3 axis gimbal on a quad and give the camera the ability to pan, but take away the pan control from the user and only let the quad itself control the panning for stabilised video....

If the camera can pan then for gods sake let me pan it !
2015-9-3
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

nicholas.goss Posted at 2015-9-3 19:42

Here is the ver ...

I agree. The wording is;
"The 3 axis of the gimbal give you pan and tilt control"

If I said this sentence to my friend, when bragging about my P3, I'm sure they would interpret it the same way. In fact, try it now on a nearby person. Or just say it out loud to yourself.

It's ambiguous, yes. But very misleading.

If you purchase a product based on the advice given by the retailer, and that advice was wrong. Legally they must provide a refund. Like, being told a printer cartridge will fit your model, but doesn't when you get home. Providing the retailer said that, it's their fault.

So try getting a refund. Have a read on this website, or give them a call. See what your options are.
https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/misleading-claims-advertising
2015-9-4
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

nicholas.goss Posted at 2015-9-4 12:55
1 Final thing.

The P3 Pro camera DOES pan.... you just cannot pan it yourself (no user pan control) ...

The only reason is to keep the camera smooth when turning.

To see how this works, go into your gimbal settings and remove the tilt restriction which stops the camera from looking higher. Then go for a fly.

Get some good height, and nice open area.
Point the camera as high as it can, so you see the blades.
Then accelerate forwards quickly, and fly around.

Sometimes you'll see the camera shake when it's reached the gimbal limit.
Hope that makes sense.
2015-9-4
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

Ok, was just thinking about this some more.

Im using the Inspire remote for my Phantom 3.
There is a pairing option to link a 2nd transmitter, which controls the camera only.
Might be able to turn the Phantom into a mini Inspire.

Having said that, I have an unused P3 controller for sale. Lol.
2015-9-4
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

You can pan it with the stick, just very little
2015-9-4
Use props
nicholas.goss
lvl.1

Australia

Kit Walker Posted at 2015-9-4 16:53
Ok, was just thinking about this some more.

Im using the Inspire remote for my Phantom 3.

have you tired using the Inspire remote on the P3 yet though? Does the Inspire remote pan the P3 camera? Is that what you were trying to say?
2015-9-4
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

nicholas.goss Posted at 2015-9-4 19:44
have you tired using the Inspire remote on the P3 yet though? Does the Inspire remote pan the P3 c ...

I currently use the Inspire remote with the Phantom 3. But it does not allow you to pan the camera left/right. The only extra button is for the Inspire landing gear.
It still only has one camera wheel on the left (up/down) and another wheel on the right to adjust exposure.

It would take
1) Retractable landing gears
2) A different gimbal
3) Sticks/buttons/wheels to control the camera left and right

If (2) is achievable, then it may be possible.
I have not connected a 2nd controller yet, so I'm not 100% sure if it will work the same way as the inspire.

Swedrone is right but.
If you start up your P3, and leave it on the ground.
Try turning left and right. You'll see the camera move a little.

That may be a hint, that the camera can be linked to the transmitter sticks of a 2nd inspire remote.
2015-9-4
Use props
nicholas.goss
lvl.1

Australia

Kit Walker Posted at 2015-9-4 17:52
I currently use the Inspire remote with the Phantom 3. But it does not allow you to pan the camera ...

It would take
1) Retractable landing gears
2) A different gimbal
3) Sticks/buttons/wheels to control the camera left and right

If (2) is achievable, then it may be possible.
I have not connected a 2nd controller yet, so I'm not 100% sure if it will work the same way as the inspire.

With respect to number 3, I want to use head tracking so there should be no need for additoinal controls for the cameera as the gimbal will be moved with my head and a head tracker unit. Such as the trinity head tracker.

That may be a hint, that the camera can be linked to the transmitter sticks of a 2nd inspire remote.

Thats what I was hoping for, that because the camera DOES have the physical ability to pan, then one should only need the correct software or device to tell it to pan, such as a head tracker.

Even more important if I was to go ahead and buy retractable landing gear... but if you cannot pan the camera there is no point in getting the retractable landing gear

Like I said before I dont want to replace the camera as it was one of the main reasons I paid extra money to get the Pro over the advanced.
So taking it off to put on a less quality camera for head tracking makes no sense.

Also, I have read that the P3 Pro, has been made so that you cannot take the 4K camera off the gimbal, it's all one unit. So if you fit a new gimbal you would have to fit a new camera as well bot re-using the perfectly good DJi camera.
2015-9-4
Use props
paullindqvist
lvl.2

Sweden

You didn't do you'r homework, by reading the spec it would have been crystal clear to anyone that the camera can't pan by user control it's simply there for stabilisation.

Complaining about that is the same as complaining about the camera can't tilt 360... with the landing gear the pan would have been very limited in use.

"You have read that the pro has been made..." you own it don't you. Its quite obvious the camera and gimbal is built as one unit, the camera isn't detachable, or did you assume that as well just because it didn't say anywhere that you couldn't detach the camera ?
2015-9-4
Use props
spiderbot.sb
lvl.4
United States

liningiv Posted at 2015-9-3 10:05
On the other  ...

Some time ago I read a post here which stated that you can see the landing gear in the camera image, similar to how the props and guards can be seen.  I checked it out last night and the gear can be seen if you do a very quick yaw while pulling backwards, with the camera pitched about 15 degrees down.
2015-9-4
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

paullindqvist Posted at 2015-9-4 20:57
You didn't do you'r homework, by reading the spec it would have been crystal clear to anyone that th ...

True. That was the major difference between the Inspire and Phantom 3. Was kinda obvious.

But I had to admit that the wording was a bit obscure in that advert the OP was reading.
If one lacks time, knowledge or resources to investigate advertising claims.., and that's all the consumer has to rely upon.., then it's kinda harsh IMO.
2015-9-4
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

nicholas.goss Posted at 2015-9-4 12:55
1 Final thing.

The P3 Pro camera DOES pan.... you just cannot pan it yourself (no user pan control) ...

Do a gimbal calibration and you might see the limits of how far it can pan left/right
Keep watching the live camera feed while it rotates.

It's very limiting. Maybe 90 degrees? Which is not bad. Still enough room to play with, and get more steady shots.
The cameraman would just have to work more closely with the pilot.

I'd love to see a 360 degree gimbal for the P3.
2015-9-4
Use props
bradneal24
lvl.3
United States

I guess to me, it would be worthless to have a gimbal on the P3 that pans, as all you would see are the landing gears. I think what you need is an inspire.
2015-9-4
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

bradneal24 Posted at 2015-9-5 00:29
I guess to me, it would be worthless to have a gimbal on the P3 that pans, as all you would see are  ...

The user Spiderbot.se posted a link about retractable landing gears earlier in the thread, which would overcome this problem.
2015-9-5
Use props
stan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8834869 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Come on! you guys want everything the Inspire 1 has also available on P3 Pro? The money you paid for P3 is only half that of Inspire 1, I1 owners will not be happy though.
Althougt it is a 3-axis gimbal and is certainly capable of panning, the software intentionally does not allow you to manually pan, this is what you pay for.....
I hope the P3 SDK does have function allow third party developer to do panning, in addition to machanical retract legs and possible third party gimbal mount which can lower the camera such that prop doesn't get into the view, then I will sell my I1 immediately.
2015-9-5
Use props
paullindqvist
lvl.2

Sweden

Kit Walker Posted at 2015-9-5 12:01
The user Spiderbot.se posted a link about retractable landing gears earlier in the thread, which w ...

So what you need a new gimbal and camera along with new videolink, no real control over the camera either unless you spend even more money.

2015-9-6
Use props
paullindqvist
lvl.2

Sweden

stan@rcsail.com Posted at 2015-9-5 12:35
Come on! you guys want everything the Inspire 1 has also available on P3 Pro? The money you paid for ...

The gimbal can pan, sure, but for stabilisation purpose only. Im amazed that some seem to have missed the obvious fact that the gimbal CAN*T mechanically pan past the first "leg" ?!?

2015-9-6
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

stan@rcsail.com Posted at 2015-9-5 20:35
Come on! you guys want everything the Inspire 1 has also available on P3 Pro? The money you paid for ...

I think the OP was expecting this, but not me.
I just thought of of the opportunity after reading the thread.
2015-9-6
Use props
nicholas.goss
lvl.1

Australia

Why is it asking too much for your $2,200 drone to pan the camera?
Why do you guys on here expect someone to pay up to $4,000 just to pan a camera on a drone?

That makes no sense to me at all.

At the end of the day all the adverts for the P3 say that the camera can pan - and it mechanically can pan... the software stops you from doing it.

The Inspire 1 has other advantages other than just panning........

I honestly do not think it is too much to ask to have panning on a $2200 drone, when its advertised as having a 3 axis gimbal with pan and tilt.

I did actually buy this hoping to one day get head tracking running on it, but after buying it and then finding the limitations, it would have been cheaper to just buy a cheaper drobe and do it the old fashion way of buying separate gimbals, camera etc.. which of course defeats the purpose of the DJI "all in one" package
2015-9-12
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules