Cursing Jim Waterfall a Photography Adventure
600 18 2023-9-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Booradley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11349537 ft
United States

It's time for another adventure.  Thanks to DJI and Nikon, I was able to get out with relative ease and capture this incredible footage.  This is a spot I have been going to for YEARS.  It started as a genuine curiosity.  My old roommate, now a seasoned Geologist, turned me on to this spot.  What is really cool about it is it is practically unknown.  Immediately after this waterfall is a really popular waterfall called the "Holy Jim Falls".  And the irony here is it was named after a guy who lived back in this canyon with an absolute gutter mouth.  The moment you came down that road, old Jim would already be out there cursing his arse off...  So originally the area was named the Cursing Jim Trail.  Later when the church settled into the area, that name did not fit with their theme so they used their influence to have the area officially named, the Holy Jim Trail...  Now that you know the backstory, you understand why the falls are called Holy Jim Falls and bear with me for just a second, it will make sense.  This set of falls is actually quite robust, not too tall and kind of wide as is spreads out a bit as it cascades into the pool below.  So Holy Jim Falls is and always has been extremely popular in Southern California.  That's why I named this lesser known, almost secret waterfall, the Cursing Jim Falls, named after the original inhabitant of the area, and in my opinion a better looking waterfall.  I've seen frogs, salamanders, bobcats, and a plethora of other wild things out here but I never see people on the trail.  

Enjoy this look at a rare, almost completely unknown, waterfall in Southern California.

Shot with:
DJI Mavic 3 Cine
Nikon Z8
DJI Ronin RSC2
Edited with Adob

2023-9-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Considering how difficult the acess to this spot is, it's perhaps not surprising that it's little known
Great work in getting there, in the first place. And splendid videography.
Thanks for the share.
2023-9-29
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 9-29 10:16
Considering how difficult the acess to this spot is, it's perhaps not surprising that it's little known
Great work in getting there, in the first place. And splendid videography.
Thanks for the share.

Thank you!  I need to figure out who is maintaining this trail.  I have never seen anyone on it, but I did find an old ammo box that was a gps cache, it has since disappeared.  But what is really encouraging is someone installed ropes to get above the falls.  I actually suspect its a team of scientists, there is a rare California Salamander that breeds in the pools of this creek.  I'm certain there is also a big cat living here.  I suspect these scientists keep track of the wildlife and vegetation.  I've heard there's gold in this area too. But either way, I can't wait to go back and climb the ropes , I did it years ago and the environment above the falls looks like something right out of a storybook.  Thanks for the kind words.
2023-9-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Booradley Posted at 9-29 10:30
Thank you!  I need to figure out who is maintaining this trail.  I have never seen anyone on it, but I did find an old ammo box that was a gps cache, it has since disappeared.  But what is really encouraging is someone installed ropes to get above the falls.  I actually suspect its a team of scientists, there is a rare California Salamander that breeds in the pools of this creek.  I'm certain there is also a big cat living here.  I suspect these scientists keep track of the wildlife and vegetation.  I've heard there's gold in this area too. But either way, I can't wait to go back and climb the ropes , I did it years ago and the environment above the falls looks like something right out of a storybook.  Thanks for the kind words.

Take care out there!
2023-9-29
Use props
Codgerzh2
First Officer
Flight distance : 15567024 ft
United Kingdom

Lovely waterfall and wildlife video
2023-9-29
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Rough going! Great surprise at the end of the trail. Great shots of the frogs.
2023-9-29
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

Depp Posted at 9-29 11:12
Rough going! Great surprise at the end of the trail. Great shots of the frogs.

Thank you, so glad I or my friend who wore shorts, didn't get poison oak, or become a mountain lion's lunch.  
2023-9-29
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
Flight distance : 5009016 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nicely done.
2023-9-29
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

Thank you again!
2023-9-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very cool way to document the adventure.
2023-9-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lovely nature views.    That was quite the trek to get to the waterfall.  Definitely a place to be mindful of poison oak and snakes.  
2023-9-30
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

DAFlys Posted at 9-30 00:31
Very cool way to document the adventure.

Definitely encouraging, this is the theme/format I plan on using moving forward.  Thank you.
2023-9-30
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-30 02:50
Lovely nature views.    That was quite the trek to get to the waterfall.  Definitely a place to be mindful of poison oak and snakes.

Thank you, growing up I would always seem to get into poison oak.  So much so, I got to know the dermatologist really well.  
2023-9-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Booradley Posted at 9-30 10:54
Thank you, growing up I would always seem to get into poison oak.  So much so, I got to know the dermatologist really well.

My bane was poison ivy.  We had lots of it around the farm I grew up on.  
2023-10-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Superb video!
2023-11-24
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

Thank you sir!  Working on the next one and hoping to get it done very soon. Happy New Year!
1-10 11:06
Use props
Cacike47
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3230748 ft

United States

Kudos for the spectacular videos and photos, that was some trek but your work is much appreciated.
1-10 11:28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Booradley Posted at 1-10 11:06
Thank you sir!  Working on the next one and hoping to get it done very soon. Happy New Year!

You're welcome!
You too
1-10 23:28
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

Cacike47 Posted at 1-10 11:28
Kudos for the spectacular videos and photos, that was some trek but your work is much appreciated.

Thank you so much for the kind words.  Hoping to get the next one going ASAP.  This is motivating for sure.
1-30 10:13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules